As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nadir, Scorchlands & You can Do!mino out today!

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Now granted I haven't played all the handheld castlevanias

But hollow knight is for my money the best metroidvania there is

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    they're all really good
    undertale is one of my favorite games of all time

right now, undertale is my 3rd fave game of all time, after Chorno Trigger and Near Automata.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

the somavanias are really enjoyable, but hollow knight is still better

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I have played all the handheld Castlevania and yes, I must say hollow knight is better

HOWEVER, I recently replayed a couple of the handhelds and had a great time on a second playthrough. I still need to wait a long time before I'll try playing hollow knight again

They're all great

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I've played all the Castlevanias, but haven't played Hollow Knight since it's supposed to have Dark Souls difficulty or something.

Guacamelee is pretty good, though.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

i still prefer the really good metroids over hollow knight, but it's close

none of the castlevanias even comes close though, even symphony

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    I've played all the Castlevanias, but haven't played Hollow Knight since it's supposed to have Dark Souls difficulty or something.

Hollow Knight is far more Dark Souls-ian in tone than in gameplay (it takes place in the ruins of a once great kingdom).

There's some side content that's fairly difficult, but simply beating the game isn't that difficult.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Sekiro
    - obtained both the fresh and dried fruits
    - - it was quite satisfying to "defeat" one of the Great Serpents. Wasn't exactly sporting, but I'll take it.
    - looped back around and defeated O'Rin of the Water.
    - - I had skipped her on account of a) focusing on the corrupted monk; b) not being sure if I needed confetti for the fight; and c) a thought that I might run across some reference to her beloved.
    - the old woman near the castle gates is talking about the war summoning a demon
    - - I wanna fight a demon. (if this is the "secret boss" mentioned a few pages back, no hints please)

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i found hollow knight fairly difficult, though i'm not a big 2D platformer guy.

the critical path has a couple rough spots, and you're gonna do side content even if not intentionally so; it's a metroidvania. i wouldn't let it dissuade you; it's a satisfying learning curve and the game always feels great to play.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I love Souls games, but I abandoned Hollow Knight. Its adherence to "when you die to a boss you need to run across half the level to try again" just ended up annoying me far too much.

Doesn't mean I'm not totally excited for Silksong, though.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

apparently Lost Ark players are getting banned from the game for...being inactive reddit.com/r/pcgaming/com…

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

apparently Lost Ark players are getting banned from the game for...being inactive reddit.com/r/pcgaming/com…

seems like it was a bot sweep that swept too low.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that seems like a problem because those bans go into steam's VAC reputation system

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    that seems like a problem because those bans go into steam's VAC reputation system

Oh, for sure a bad thing, but not an intentional thing.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

Hollow Knight is far more Dark Souls-ian in tone than in gameplay (it takes place in the ruins of a once great kingdom).

There's some side content that's fairly difficult, but simply beating the game isn't that difficult.

Funny you mention this, because my thought from the first batch of posts on this page was “the handheld castlevanias have a slight edge because I beat all of them, and I didn’t beat Hollow Knight.”

Some combination of failing the side content and the map being huge just wore me down and made me quit right as I (think I) unlocked the path to the final boss. And when I tried to go back to it a few months later I had lost all my skills and patience.

The castlevanias (and both guacamelees) never got me so emotionally low, so they kind of win for me.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I loved hollow knight, beat it, hit credits, 10/10 game.

Then I found out there was a true ending and had to look up how to get it, and all the extra stuff you had to do made me miserable, and the last boss was a huge jerk that I did not enjoy fighting and made me put the game down for like a month.

I would have so much happier if I just stopped when I thought I had beat it the first time.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

Then I found out there was a true ending and had to look up how to get it, and all the extra stuff you had to do made me miserable, and the last boss was a huge jerk that I did not enjoy fighting and made me put the game down for like a month.

I would have so much happier if I just stopped when I thought I had beat it the first time.

There's also a true true ending by beating the every-boss-in-the-game boss rush, and a true true true ending you get by beating the every-boss-in-the-game boss rush after transporting a fragile sidequest flower across the map

from the look of things Silksong seems like it's probably just going to leave it ambiguous as to what happened, though
    ...also honestly some of those alternate endings are more Bad Ends than True Ends

• Options

I think there's like 6 possible endings now with Godseeker, and they all have different requirements.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I couldn't make it halfway through hollow knight that shit is harder than dark souls by far

• Options
    I couldn't make it halfway through hollow knight that shit is harder than dark souls by far

There's a lot to be said for how Dark Souls arguably has a bit of an "easy mode" in just... being able to grind levels to win through sheer overlevelling or summoning people to let someone else beat the boss for you

meanwhile in Hollow Knight if you hit a wall there's not that much you can do besides just "git gud" - you can explore other areas, perhaps, but shell/soul upgrades and new charms can only do so much

(this is also why Sekiro is one of the harder soulsborne games, of course - it's not an RPG so it's all down to you learning how to parry)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Shit I made it most of the way through sekiro even

I'm really bad as side scrolling action games like HK

Like. I've never beaten a mega man game ever.

• Options
    To be fair, classic mega man is hard.

Also, of course, side-scrolling jump-em-ups is just a separate skillset from a 3D action game. Arguably the hardest stuff in Hollow Knight might not even be the bosses, but the platforming!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    For me, the platforming is what I loved, and couldn’t get past the bosses. Like, I never beat the dream version of
    Grey Prince Zote

But on the other hand, Guacamelee 2 had a series of trials you had to do to get the good ending, and I adore every one of them. For anybody that doesn’t mind gameplay spoilers, here’s a video with all of them (and then it plays the good ending).

https://youtu.be/t0Id8ZRJHuw

Especially the Jade Temple one at 14:30. Every one of these just felt so good to play through, and then finally have that perfect run and finish it.

I think another factor that really impacted my resolve was the time to retry; Gm2 sets you back at the last checkpoint (which might be a bit back, depending on the challenge) but it’s almost instant. I didn’t have to re-enter a house, then re-fall down a pit, then wait for the boss to reappear… or re-do a silly dream platforming section just so I could get back to the boss (only to die at the boss) over and over again. It was just an instant “boom, back to start, try again”

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    For me, the platforming is what I loved, and couldn’t get past the bosses. Like, I never beat the dream version of
    Invincible
    Fearless
    Sensual
    Mysterious
    Enchanting
    Vigorous
    Diligent
    Overwhelming
    Gorgeous
    Passionate
    Terrifying
    Beautiful
    Powerful
    Grey Prince Zote

really how could you expect to, he is a dream boat

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

There's also a true true ending by beating the every-boss-in-the-game boss rush, and a true true true ending you get by beating the every-boss-in-the-game boss rush after transporting a fragile sidequest flower across the map

from the look of things Silksong seems like it's probably just going to leave it ambiguous as to what happened, though
    ...also honestly some of those alternate endings are more Bad Ends than True Ends

Oh yeah. I walked into the godseeker area, saw it was a boss rush and just noped right out. The exploration was what I liked about that game.

Fucking cool that the dlc they added was all free though. Even only taking into account the base game, Hollow Knight has a ridiculous amount of content for the asking price.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSp4QbL69c
    Cyberpunk 2077's Biggest Mystery Just Got a Pretty Insane New Update
    clickbaity title, but still interesting

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I finally decided to play Cyberpunk after giving up at launch. Using those mods from that one video posted earlier in the thread. Game definitely feels more game and less buggy mess.

Also it actually uses my graphics card now!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    the only issue i ever had with hollow knight, and it's a funny problem to have, but there is too much game

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    Grey Prince Zote

But on the other hand, Guacamelee 2 had a series of trials you had to do to get the good ending, and I adore every one of them. For anybody that doesn’t mind gameplay spoilers, here’s a video with all of them (and then it plays the good ending).

https://youtu.be/t0Id8ZRJHuw

Especially the Jade Temple one at 14:30. Every one of these just felt so good to play through, and then finally have that perfect run and finish it.

I think another factor that really impacted my resolve was the time to retry; Gm2 sets you back at the last checkpoint (which might be a bit back, depending on the challenge) but it’s almost instant. I didn’t have to re-enter a house, then re-fall down a pit, then wait for the boss to reappear… or re-do a silly dream platforming section just so I could get back to the boss (only to die at the boss) over and over again. It was just an instant “boom, back to start, try again”

God I remember that Jade Temple run. That was one of those times I'm torn between giving up, and pressing on, with each incremental success and getting a little bit further egging me on. It feels so amazing once you've gotten the hang of it, just breezing at the bits were you had so much trouble earlier. Same with the Tule Treetop.

I think I enjoyed Hollow Knight's secret platforming gauntlet stage more than the Boss Rush.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    imo guacamelee had a very good sense of where to position the camera for its platforming challenges. i never felt like i couldn't see what was coming up next, it was just execution. that goes a long way.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Guacamelee 1 didn’t quite pan out for me. How does Guacamelee 2 compare?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Guacamelee 1 didn’t quite pan out for me. How does Guacamelee 2 compare?

it's basically just guacamelee 1 but more, so probably just steer clear

it continues to be good if you liked 1 though

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Gaming

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Sekiro
    The Shichimen Warrior is a major pest. Had him fully heal twice; I assume something to do with being too far away, and the game thinking I've left the arena. Lost those runs, naturally. Got very demoralized after the second time.

Pulled it off. Close call, though: reduced his vitality on phase two to zero, and before my final swing connected, a mine hit and killed me. I revived, desperately tapped attack, and he went down.

Running out of things to do before I have to head back to the castle. I think next up is releasing Hanbei from his immortal curse. He seemed eager enough when it got brought up.

edit: well, that was anti-climactic. I expected him to be a boss encounter, something like "prove your worth" or "I can't control myself"

Tamin on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    One of my goals for this year was to stop being so obsessed with getting a "good" story in narrative games that I look up the results of choices before I make them. I think Pentiment was probably a difficult game to start this with but I made it through the first act. So far so good.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Pentiment might be one of the best games to start with for that goal, honestly

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I've been experimenting with Cyberpunk mods now. Found one that replaced most of the screen images, ads, even in world ambient audio, with stuff from Bladerunner. Even changes stuff like cop uniforms and you can sometimes hear the "move to the colonies" advert playing. Then I got a mod that changes the weather to remove sunny days so now it is almost always some form of foggy or rainy. Much more interesting now. Weirdly, when looking at the various weather mods, they all talk about the weather cycle getting stuck sometimes due to some base game glitch. The solution they all give is, I kid you not, travel to a specific hotel which features an actual Bladerunner easter egg. When you take the elevator to the roof, the weather always becomes rainy. This apparently kicks the weather patterns back into shape.

Anyways, I also downloaded a bunch of new clothes so now I can play the game properly.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Can you get a haircut in Cyberpunk yet or do you need a mod for that

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Can you get a haircut in Cyberpunk yet or do you need a mod for that

They did add that in finally with an officially patch. You can go up to a mirror, like the one in your apartment, and change like every feature including face, hair, all that.

This discussion has been closed.