As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Discussion] V back for Vengeance (Lilith's after the throne)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    P3P comes out on Steam in 75 minutes.

I’m hoping ATLUS arranged for a cosmic event so I can experience

(P3P spoilers)

The Dark Hour tonight

And beat the entire game tonight after midnight.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The persona 3/4 games are out on switch!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Along the same lines, P3P runs great on the Steam Deck, not that I expected otherwise.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Started 3 and I feel pulled in a million directions, so many things I can do plus I need to raise my stats and I have club and student council and this one kid keeps asking me to hangout so he can talk about how much he wants to bang his hot teacher . It’s kinda overwhelming.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Always pick banging the hot teacher.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Wrong persona game!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Wrong persona game!

That one's the hot doctor.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I do love me some P5R but man some of these relationships are.... Questionable.

• Options
    The teacher, doctor, and drunk reporter are all weird of course, but I really hate the idea of dating your surrogate sister. That one in particular really squicks me out.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The teacher, doctor, and drunk reporter are all weird of course, but I really hate the idea of dating your surrogate sister. That one in particular really squicks me out.

Yeah, that was the one I shut down IMMEDIATELY as soon as I got the option to do so.

OldSlacker on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

The surrogate sister part was not the biggest problem for me (to be clear, it was a problem, but for Anime levels of squick this was relatively low as they were not related, not raised together, only met a month or so ago and didn't live in the same house), for me the biggest red flag was that Joker was basically her therapist. The power dynamics are all fucked up there.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    I’m mostly fumbling my way through p3 but Yuko seems cool so far .

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I couldn't set Joker up with anyone with Makoto. She's like the heroine and P5 is better and more mature for it.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    I can't figure out who to date in P5R. I know I don't want to date more than one due to the fallout, and I already dated Makoto in the original. Not gonna date surrogate sister for sure. Anyone tried the new girl's romance?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    She was fine, but the romances are pretty perfunctory anyway. Makoto is the best choice.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    Oh yea I liked the Makoto romance just figured I should try a different one. Still wish you could date dudes. Any of the male party members would make pretty great romances.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Burnage wrote: »
    Persona 3 ending spoilers:
    Almost the entirety of the final month is still one of my favourite moments in gaming. Just the way that the atmosphere of the game's world becomes so heavy, so irrevocably fucked, and yet the SEES team continually grit their teeth and put two fingers up to their oncoming death.

It's just perfect.
    gdutb2ifeamy.jpg
    oj2baovhfpjs.jpeg

My reaction to P4 mystery and social links
    vyqgwj74zfkr.jpg

MrBody on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Persona 3 ending spoilers:
    Almost the entirety of the final month is still one of my favourite moments in gaming. Just the way that the atmosphere of the game's world becomes so heavy, so irrevocably fucked, and yet the SEES team continually grit their teeth and put two fingers up to their oncoming death.

It's just perfect.
    gdutb2ifeamy.jpg
    oj2baovhfpjs.jpeg

My reaction to P4 mystery and social links
    vyqgwj74zfkr.jpg

Meanwhile

c8c.jpg

• Options
    I’m beginning to think I was naive in thinking Tartarus was only 100 floors

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Continuing my slow P5 playthrough, and I just got to Persona traits and all that, and that one should consider it while fusing to create potentially insane Personas

real talk: is that even feasible without looking up a guide? I suspect that I have yet to see a skill/trait that makes me go "oh shit, if I combo this with X...", but still, with the amount of Personas, it feels overwhelming

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Continuing my slow P5 playthrough, and I just got to Persona traits and all that, and that one should consider it while fusing to create potentially insane Personas

real talk: is that even feasible without looking up a guide? I suspect that I have yet to see a skill/trait that makes me go "oh shit, if I combo this with X...", but still, with the amount of Personas, it feels overwhelming

I'm stumbling through Persona 5 for the first time as well, and while I haven't found any insane combos without a guide yet I've managed to get some combinations that work real well for me.
    What I've found most useful is just trying to get the "Bloodline" traits which halve SP usage for a specific kind of spell onto a Persona stacked with spells of the appropriate type, which is pretty obvious but can require some fusion jiggling. Combined with a SP-regen item on Joker, it makes the dungeons a walk in the park.

• Options
    Second year persona 3 school music is funky . I like it

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

I'm stumbling through Persona 5 for the first time as well, and while I haven't found any insane combos without a guide yet I've managed to get some combinations that work real well for me.
    What I've found most useful is just trying to get the "Bloodline" traits which halve SP usage for a specific kind of spell onto a Persona stacked with spells of the appropriate type, which is pretty obvious but can require some fusion jiggling. Combined with a SP-regen item on Joker, it makes the dungeons a walk in the park.
    Yeah as soon as traits were introduced, I saw my Jack Frost had half SP usage for frost spells which...yes. YES. I suspect there are Personas with good resistances you're supposed to stack the bloodline onto. For now, I'm just fusing to get Personas I don't have yet, mainly because they look cool. I'm only at the second palace and don't find the combat too challenging

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am more of "play Persona 3 FES in an emulator" kind of guy.
    I do have Persona 4 Golden on PC.

• Options
    Hmm game is trying to tell me it’s ending but the storyline s links are only at 6… something isn’t adding up .

• Options
    And p3 done ! I completely missed one social link it seems but it was a very fun game even if stretched on forever at the end. I imagine it’s so you can max out every slink. I’m sure I could max them all when I replay them , I just took too long learning what to do when.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Beat the first jail boss in Strikers.

Man, the old P5 engine camera was struggling to keep up when the game was trying to be a Musou, but for that boss it turned into Bayonetta lite and the poor camera was not all equipped to handle it. I ended up having to watch the radar dot the entire time instead of the action on screen in order to dodge that flying pinwheel attack.

Am I doing something wrong or was the boss meant to be a ridiculous damage sponge? I had the best weapons from Sophia's shop available at that point and every attack only did 4-7 damage, even with Ann's fire infused attacks. Blow Morgana & Ann's entire SP bar to knock down the boss for your all out attack to take off a grand total of 1cm from the boss health bar.

Every time I fucked up, it wasn't to the boss itself being tricky or the action too fast, but slipping up from outright fatigue from that health bar dropping so slow.

Are status buffs/debuffs useless? I didn't notice one bit of difference in damage when I buffed a character's attack or debuffed an enemy's defense.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I recall her being a little spongey but not too bad.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    8 bit dragon quest boss was annoying. Or maybe I was weak cause he felt super spongy.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I recall feeling like Strikers has the general gameplay flow of a Persona game (that is to say, you go into a menu and pick your best spell that matches the opponent's elemental weakness repeatedly) while operating within the Musou engine. Your standard melee attacks and combo finishers are there to clean up trash, and you will get the majority of your damage against bosses from the spells and skills you pick out of the menu while chugging SP restoratives as soon as you can't do so any more. The first dungeon is rougher because you don't yet have a good way to go into every fight holding piles of SP restoratives.

As an early-game stopgap, I believe most characters have a C2 or C3 (meaning, two lights before a heavy or three lights before a heavy) that does a miniature version of their signature element spell, so you can use that to hit weaknesses if there's no other option or there's a particularly sturdy normal enemy to hit with it.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I have to ask the obvious: has there been mods for Steam to replace Shadow World with the original OP?
    (Or add subs to P3's end credits, for that matter? It has a LOT more impact when you know the lyrics.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Yeah as soon as traits were introduced, I saw my Jack Frost had half SP usage for frost spells which...yes. YES. I suspect there are Personas with good resistances you're supposed to stack the bloodline onto. For now, I'm just fusing to get Personas I don't have yet, mainly because they look cool. I'm only at the second palace and don't find the combat too challenging
    Honestly I never bothered with those abilities.

My bread and butter:
    For most of the mementos and palaces I had the SP Adhesive 3 when I could get them. And SP becomes trivial with that accessory. When it becomes first available at 50k (I think it’s rank 7 confidant)I bought 3, and I was broke at the time so I didn’t upgrade some stuff at that time, but it is powerful.

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Finally finished P5R. It is a very long game for someone like myself. Don't think I'll do any replay through, but it was generally fun.

P5R (mostly grumps):
    Some of the cringe parts were sad to encounter (Pick-up guides increasing charm, etc).

One thing I don't like about the calendar mechanic is that it doesn't let me dictate when/how long I grind for exp. Basically, once you choose to infiltrate a palace or mementos, you have to commit to doing it until there are diminishing returns on exp or yen gain (like, needing 500 or more enemy encounters to move to the next level) because the cost of burning an afternoon/day on an already packed/tight calendar is so high.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I hopped back on my playthrough and knocked out the last 2 dungeons of the original game. I sent the calling card for the last boss of the OG and just dont care. everything has been tedious and i didnt even bother using the like whole month to max out social links before i sent the card. i might beat him, but theres no way im playing through the 3rd semester, and probably wont plow through mementos even with ryujis instakill ability. i never finished 3 or 4 either, somewhere around the 3-4th palace im usually just done with the games. theyre just too long

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Finished p4 some unconnected random observations of no intellectual value whatsoever .
    • So many slinks , got to the point where I was wondering if I had connected with everyone in town
    • if/when I replay i will prioritize Rise as her support abilities are just wonderful quality of life
    • Awful poetry
    • Chie has a weird power curve , as it’s not really a curve it’s a flat line parallel to the x axis then she actually gets her attacks in the mid 60s and then it shoots up like a rocket .
    • Didn’t use kanji and naoto so on any replay I will try to level the party more evenly
    • Funky music that may be singing about pound cake or heart break , not sure .
    • It felt like I gained 90% of my xp hunting down rare monsters for requests .
    • Cast was overall very likeable, much more relaxed even with the murder mystery, more scooby doo then that abomination that was recently released
    • really Awful poetry whyareyoumakingmereadthismarie
    • MVPs were Siegfried and beelzebub, which are two of my go to demons . Usually have abbadon as well but he never came up
    • I really want to replay smt 3/5 now . I like the social stuff really but there is so much of it , if one side is going to dominate the other then I would rather it be the dungeon crawling .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I agree that I liked the cast of P4 way more than P5. I did not click with the crew in P5 like at all. The first two characters were okay. Skull and Panther. After that, the rest of them (to me) were just blah.

• Options
    I understand everyone has their likes and dislikes, but to not count Makoto among the best of the best is a crime of the highest (lowest?) order.

• Options
    So I’ve managed to beat nocturne hard mode but not tde hard . Well here I am and Lucifer made me hells bottom bitch , I’m trying to motivate myself to start fusing every and grinding for perfect demons but ughh.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I understand everyone has their likes and dislikes, but to not count Makoto among the best of the best is a crime of the highest (lowest?) order.

Makoto was the most boring member of the whole cast imo.

• Options

Makoto was the most boring member of the whole cast imo.

bodysnatchers.gif