As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm cold again, [weather thread]

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So current front is mostly through, just some assorted random cells off and on, then a small thing coming through Wednesday, and then it should be back to sun, letting stuff dry out a bit.

Longer term it looks like we might start getting rain again at the end of the month.

Oroville is back to slightly above seasonal average, Shasta has broken 80% of average and is still going up.

Wonderful. Shasta in particular was looking just about completely dry last time I passed through the area. It was sobering how far down the water level was.

Orca on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    zp6g9n50hm6l.jpg

Sorry for the cropping, Comcast outage right now, so on phone.

But yeah, it's shooting up. Light blue background is average for date.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    this January has been nonstop snow

we got like 4” here this morning, now to try and figure out if i can make it to work

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We got the first snow that was enough I had to shovel today. This is the latest in the season I can remember that happening.

Been a warm, disappointing winter.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    all our snow melted about two weeks ago now. it's been in the mid-40s almost every day since then. Central Oregon usually gets another cold snap in late January or early February that often brings a decent amount of snow though.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Twenty FEET of snow up at Mammoth, holy shit

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

Here's overall precipitation for the same period, to give an idea of how rainy it has been for the last few weeks throughout much of California.

There's no rain in the forecast for LA in the next two weeks though. Maybe something shaping up for the beginning of February but right now I'm seeing the chance of rain for the first few days of the month at <25%.

• Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    Gah I hope there's zero chance of rain for the first few days of next month. Going to an outdoor wedding.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'm about an hour north of Toronto and we have no snow on the ground. It's so bizarre.

Last winter was quite warm as well, but we're definitely beating that. I wouldn't mind even if it wasn't for the fact that it's due to our planet barreling towards cataclysm.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    didn't ontario get snowstormed a couple weeks ago? did it not land in your area? or is it just gone already

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    didn't ontario get snowstormed a couple weeks ago? did it not land in your area? or is it just gone already

The bomb cyclone and Great Encoldening has been followed by sustained Unusually Warmish for most of NA

it was 60 degrees today in Columbus Ohio and the ten-day forecast has temps above freezing for all but a few hours total

Might have a total of 10 minutes of snow for the whole month of January in the middle of Gray Ohio

• Options
    Shits all fucked up

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I guess I spoke some rain into existence. We went from no rain in the forecast to some very light and scattered rain tonight. It was sprinkling on me when I went out to grab my mail.

Still nothing in the extended forecast for LA.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I guess I spoke some rain into existence. We went from no rain in the forecast to some very light and scattered rain tonight. It was sprinkling on me when I went out to grab my mail.

Still nothing in the extended forecast for LA.

SO IT WAS YOU

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

It melted a few days after. It was quite a bit of snow and then it warmed right up. It's been above zero most of the time. We had a few days below over the weekend but that's been it.

Lots of rain and freezing rain though.

Dixon on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/483230/in-photos-heavy-rain-causing-flooding-evacuations-in-auckland

so

we got about 240mm of rain today.

that's almost a full summer worth of rain in 1 day.

there are entire sections of the city that are flooded.

and we have 2 days of rain still to come.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    It was 12° C outside yesterday, here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The forecasts into next week have us above freezing for our daytime highs. Normally, in January, we’d get at least a two weeks stretch of double digits below 0° C, but I don’t think that we’ve had one day of that. And we’ve had exactly one meaningful snowstorm, dropping only about 10 to 20 cm.

People are joking that we’ve skipped winter and gone straight into spring.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/483230/in-photos-heavy-rain-causing-flooding-evacuations-in-auckland

so

Jeeze, does NZ normally get very wet summers? Or is this more climate change fuckery

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

so

Jeeze, does NZ normally get very wet summers? Or is this more climate change fuckery

This is Climate Change fuckery.

I mean, we don't have the driest climate, but we have had a few summers where we were in drought.

It's still raining, not as bad where I am. But the Coromandel Peninsula has been cut off as a bridge has washed out.
    there's been a freight train derailed from the rain.
    Sections of multiple major highways are closed due to slips/landslides.
    At least 9 houses have been red-carded and deemed unlivable, there are still over 5000 houses that need inspection across 25 suburbs of Auckland, and likely many more in the other areas effected.
    At least 3 dead from the flooding, with 1 person still missing.

2 Wastewater pumping stations were flooded and damaged, to the point that they're just pumping water uncontrolled, thought there was a hope that one of them would be fixed today.

We're talking chest deep water in some areas of the city. At the height, we were getting downpours of 40=80mm/hour in small bursts.

And our Mayor has just been. Well, let's just say if there was a mechanism from yeeting him out of power like now now right now, we would.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will put a damper on the rich people building survival compounds in NZ to try and ride out climate collapse.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I’m heading up I-5 tomorrow morning, should be fun. Should be up above freezing hopefully by that point.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    15 degrees Farenheit?
    Fantastic.
    Love it. Love it!

Where the fuck is my extra fuckin' blanket?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Legitimately suspenseful! The pink is freezing rain. We've had a cap of dry air aloft that's been vaporizing that shit like the shields on the Enterprise since about noon. As soon as it gets eroded, things get extremely slippery around here. Enough to get me a day off from work? Enough to knock out power to the whole city? Nobody knows!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I hear Texas has been dealing with power outages from ice storms today

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    It’s supposed to go down to -27° C here in Halifax on Saturday. I think that I’ll skip my run.

Funny thing, I remember in grade one walking to school in Calgary in weather that cold. There were literally six people in the classroom, because it was too cold for the buses.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    It is currently -5 freedom units outside. I like winter and I like cold but this is a bit much.

• Options
    Damn, -100 F wind chill in New Hampshire

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mount Washington is always the coldest damn place.

Wind chill here is -40, the pellet stove barely kept up but the house was 55 this morning so we all survive.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, -11 air temp, wind has died down but wouldn't want to be out for longer than 20 minutes without proper full skin coverage

• Options

Not even just worst weather on earth, worst on earth and Mars and maybe even one of the other ones

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    We hit -13f before wind in Albany NY making it the coldest Feb 3rd on the books. Even farther north hit -24f 😱 before wind.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular

Not even just worst weather on earth, worst on earth and Mars and maybe even one of the other ones

Very much The Day After Tomorrow weather going on up there.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

Very much The Day After Tomorrow weather going on up there.

It's fine, just outrun the cold air

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Weatherpeople: Mount Washington is cold as fuck.

Humans: We should live there.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    The lodge at the top is very cozy. I was there last summer. Of course even though it was 80 degrees in the valley it was 55 on the summit. A bit different from -100.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
This discussion has been closed.