As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Support your local [Job] thread

196979899100102»

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Also she hates Biden, Republicans, and cops, so at least she's a little based, as the kids say.

But sir! You repeat yourself!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I'm out, safe, all that. I get what she was yelling about at least a bit. The apartment she's placed in seems like it's not actually zoned as an apartment properly. The reason I bring that up, besides her saying it, is minor's comment. There was only one exit. Second story with one door out and windows with no ladders or platforms. Pretty fucked up!

I don't know if I've ever seen an apartment complex with ladders/platforms outside the windows (in Texas)

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    At least she's consistent

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So I'm out, safe, all that. I get what she was yelling about at least a bit. The apartment she's placed in seems like it's not actually zoned as an apartment properly. The reason I bring that up, besides her saying it, is minor's comment. There was only one exit. Second story with one door out and windows with no ladders or platforms. Pretty fucked up!

I don't know if I've ever seen an apartment complex with ladders/platforms outside the windows (in Texas)

With second floor apartments it's a requirement here. If there's a porch out a window upstairs that's usually enough, but yeah I've definitely seen a lot of shit that doesn't pass here.

And even if it doesn't, there's never enough people to enforce.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    I'm going to start blocking off most of my calendar with fake meetings so people stop inviting me to real ones

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Also she hates Biden, Republicans, and cops, so at least she's a little based, as the kids say.

Are you sure she doesn't post here?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Boy I hope not.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm going to start blocking off most of my calendar with fake meetings so people stop inviting me to real ones

I block off 8-9:30, lunch and 5-6 every day, works like a charm

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

My experience is that this doesn't work.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is the entire company or just the IT department, but we're currently in the process of instituting an official "no meetings on Friday unless it's a legit emergency" policy, and boy I hope that goes through. I don't even have that many meetings on Friday generally, but just knowing I straight up won't have to worry about it ever again is a very night thought.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    101 wrote: »

I block off 8-9:30, lunch and 5-6 every day, works like a charm

PRIVATE

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Got my first material consideration form in a while. It's the official form we give to patrons when they think material is age inappropriate or shouldn't be in the collection at all. Given everything that's been going on, I had the Kill Bill siren faintly cranking up as soon as it was handed to me.

Turns out the customer thought that the letters of Vincent van Gough and his brother Theo got a bit too ribald and used some cuss words that might be more appropriate in the YA nonfiction section rather than juvenile nonfiction. They stressed that it was a wonderful biography and that they were in no way suggesting that it should be removed from the collection or that parents should be prevented from letting their kids read it when they thought they were ready.

Really heartwarming to get one of these forms from someone who understands the problem and doesn't want to be part of it. And it's even criticizing a book about a couple of cishet white dudes, so I don't have to worry about whether they're being secretly weird about it!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Are you going to move it, or are you continue to teach the juveniles to cuss like they need?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Good ol' Vincent-van-Gogh Fuck Yourself.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Are you going to move it, or are you continue to teach the juveniles to cuss like they need?

Moving it down to the even younger children section next

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »

Hard to say, the collection development department will review it and make a recommendation to the executive director. I'd lean towards it moving because even though the publisher coded it as Juvenile Literature, School Library Journal reviewed it as YA and YALSA gave it an award a few years back. It's a pretty blurry distinction.

I'm afraid the youths will need to cuss the same way we did: by watching old PG movies that were rated in the pre PG-13 era.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm afraid the youths will need to cuss the same way we did: by watching old PG movies that were rated in the pre PG-13 era.

I was surprised when I shared ET with my kids a few years back it has the delightful insult "penis breath" in it. I didn't remember that one from my own youth.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Got my first material consideration form in a while. It's the official form we give to patrons when they think material is age inappropriate or shouldn't be in the collection at all. Given everything that's been going on, I had the Kill Bill siren faintly cranking up as soon as it was handed to me.

Turns out the customer thought that the letters of Vincent van Gough and his brother Theo got a bit too ribald and used some cuss words that might be more appropriate in the YA nonfiction section rather than juvenile nonfiction. They stressed that it was a wonderful biography and that they were in no way suggesting that it should be removed from the collection or that parents should be prevented from letting their kids read it when they thought they were ready.

Really heartwarming to get one of these forms from someone who understands the problem and doesn't want to be part of it. And it's even criticizing a book about a couple of cishet white dudes, so I don't have to worry about whether they're being secretly weird about it!

So no one's found James Joyce's love letters to his wife yet huh?

• Options
    I don't think DK publishes Eyewitness: Fart Perverts for the juvenile audience these days.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I'm curious as to what the cuss words are anyway? Because if it's translated that's the translator's decision to use those words.

Actually, nevermind, I'm so fascinated by this book I should just get it from my own library. I'll let you all know what I think.

Edit: huh. My local library put it YA.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a YA librarian I do think that book should be in YA and not in Juvenile.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not seeing why letters between Van Gogh and his brothers were in the Juvenile section anyway. Did ol' VVG do childrens books or something? Why would small children be interested in reading his letters?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I'm honestly not seeing why letters between Van Gogh and his brothers were in the Juvenile section anyway. Did ol' VVG do childrens books or something? Why would small children be interested in reading his letters?

Cataloging departments are just people. They make mistakes from time to time, especially if they are processing a lot of materials.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I don't think DK publishes Eyewitness: Fart Perverts for the juvenile audience these days.

Reading Ulysses awoke something in me, as I felt ecstatic release and needed a smoke after reaching the end of Molly Bloom's spiel.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Pretty thick book too. Big haul for little readers.

cizb7m8o5aoq.jpg

This discussion has been closed.