As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go west, young [travel] thread

19596979899101»

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Yeah if I think I'm gonna do even a little bit of traveling next year (like...more than a single flight) I'm definitely getting pre-check. That shit seems broken, as the gamers say.

The real shit is Global Travel. Pre check costs $85. Global Travel costs $100, includes Precheck, and when you return from overseas and go through customs you can skip the line and go to the automated kiosk.
    It’s 100% a scam to make Americans volunteer for Homeland Security to run a background check on you, but the perks are nice.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    currently in the netherlands visiting my sister who's here studying game design

pros - lots of chocolates and gummies that are very high quality and also super cheap

cons - no tampons with applicators or decent scotchbrite, so the jury's still out

for real though, the place feels calm, sedate and satiated

I find it oddly disturbing, like it's all fake or something; I don't understand how any of it works

Like real actual problems are something that happen to Those Other People On The News while you work from 10-12, take a two hour lunch break, and then work from 2-5 before closing up for the day satisfied with your house ownership and comfortable pension

Maybe I'm just projecting here but it rubs me the wrong way

yeah my brother moved to NL about a year and a half ago and I'm probably going to go for a week or so in Spring 2023 — he and his wife essentially eloped there, since they got married, went on a honeymoon to Europe, and never came back after applying for job-seeking visas

I'm low-key worried if I go the same may happen

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Yeah if I think I'm gonna do even a little bit of traveling next year (like...more than a single flight) I'm definitely getting pre-check. That shit seems broken, as the gamers say.

The real shit is Global Travel. Pre check costs $85. Global Travel costs $100, includes Precheck, and when you return from overseas and go through customs you can skip the line and go to the automated kiosk.
    It’s 100% a scam to make Americans volunteer for Homeland Security to run a background check on you, but the perks are nice.

Hell, even just being the partial approval waiting for interview is nice.

My wife is in that situation. She was going to do the interview after this trip, but it was a 2-3 hour wait, so she's doing a scheduled appointment instead, but she still got to skip the big customs line and go to a window with a line with 3 people.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Dear England, I was in you for 10 days and I had an absolutely lovely time.

I also got to see some beautiful views, like this one from our B&B in Devon:
    tbj13io9pc87.jpg
    z2aa47avpriv.jpg

But also from our B&B in Devon, I have to say: what the absolute fuck, England?

189j1kesh98j.jpg

Psykoma on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    currently in the netherlands visiting my sister who's here studying game design

pros - lots of chocolates and gummies that are very high quality and also super cheap

cons - no tampons with applicators or decent scotchbrite, so the jury's still out

for real though, the place feels calm, sedate and satiated

I find it oddly disturbing, like it's all fake or something; I don't understand how any of it works

Like real actual problems are something that happen to Those Other People On The News while you work from 10-12, take a two hour lunch break, and then work from 2-5 before closing up for the day satisfied with your house ownership and comfortable pension

Maybe I'm just projecting here but it rubs me the wrong way

The convenience of being at the top of the western colonialist project is that most problems are in fact far away

Stick around for New Years though, especially if you're in Amsterdam. Frickin' chaos.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    But also from our B&B in Devon, I have to say: what the absolute fuck, England?

189j1kesh98j.jpg

I am confused I don't see any problems here.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    From my north american perspective: carpet on the floor of the bathroom is something I've had to get used to whenever I go to the UK, so while it squicks me a bit I'm mostly okay with it
    But..the carpet climbing the wall within two inches of the toilet though, that really icks me

The angle of the picture is also not really showing it, but the sink is actually overhanging directly above the toilet a little bit, so I would have to contort myself to be able to sit down because I've got a real fat butt

Also the four other sinks in that building were a single faucets for hot and cold combined, which makes the split faucet in that bathroom alone really annoying

Psykoma on
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Bathroom carpet is incredibly hygienic and not at all a worrying indication of future problems. Just think of the generations of toilet backsplatter that's had time to accumulate and build up a protective miasma against the toilet demons.

(real talk bathroom carpet is very fucked up)

tynic on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The only place I've seen wall carpet in a bathroom was in my aunt's rural Texas doublewide. And it appears to be the exact same carpet.

We're not so different, it turns out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The only place I've seen wall carpet in a bathroom was in my aunt's rural Texas doublewide. And it appears to be the exact same carpet.

We're not so different, it turns out.

Well I mean it may have looked like a different carpet a decade ago

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I was also confused for a minute because I didn't notice it and thought you were just commenting on the size, and tiny cloakrooms are pretty normal. But yeah the carpet is wrong and definitely weird.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    i once saw a shower room with carpet in it. not the actualy base of the shower, thankfully, but there was definitely a shitload of water splashing out of the shower

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Some friends at uni had carpet in their main bathroom.

Five blokes lived there.

The sights I've seen.....

Devon is beautiful, just been to neighbouring Cornwall in early October. We were so lucky with the weather.

St Ives, Cornwall

7v3kiapp6da7.jpg

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Great surfing around there.

• Options
    When he was alive, my grandfather lived in Poole and at least 60% of our visits to see him were spent at the Poole beach here:

ksk9uptyiuvk.jpg
    4uyyz3gcdjzd.jpg

It was really surprising seeing the beach again, and how much they've filled it in because there used to be like a ten foot staircase down from the boardwalk to the sand, and now the sand is fully level with the boardwalk.

On this latest trip, we visited it on November 21st, and there were five people out surfing in the like 4 degree weather.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Man, I always forget how many people live within striking distance of a beach. I haven't seen the ocean in over a decade, and I'd have to drive seven and a half hours in the wrong direction just to see the Gulf of Mexico. And not the best part by a long shot.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Flying to Greensboro tomorrow to see my sister's family and meet my newborn niece for the first time.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My grandparents also live(d) in Poole. I think Poole is about 98% grandparent.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Is there a new version of this thread?

Whatever the case, I am now significantly poorer, but I have two nights in London, nine nights in Amsterdam, a train from one to the other, and a plane flights to get me across the Atlantic and back booked for late May. I’d have flown right into AMS, but it’s literally $600 cheaper for me to fly into London, so even factoring in the train ticket to go from one to the other and two nights stay in London the price is slightly lower.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Is there a new version of this thread?

Whatever the case, I am now significantly poorer, but I have two nights in London, nine nights in Amsterdam, a train from one to the other, and a plane flights to get me across the Atlantic and back booked for late May. I’d have flown right into AMS, but it’s literally $600 cheaper for me to fly into London, so even factoring in the train ticket to go from one to the other and two nights stay in London the price is slightly lower.

We reward long-term loyalty here in the job thread. Like a family, we wait for the old one to get locked up before seeking a new one.

Edit: also the travel thread, it turns out.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    My wife is traveling to Florida from the UK for work at the end of April.

Will she need some sort of bug spray for mosquitos? If so does anyone have any recommendations?

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Will she need some sort of bug spray for mosquitos? If so does anyone have any recommendations?

Depends on where she goes, but a lot of places spray to keep mosquitos away and I've never had to use it in SWFL.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Depends on where she goes, but a lot of places spray to keep mosquitos away and I've never had to use it in SWFL.

She's going to Jacksonville.

Aside from the time at the conference she'll be visiting a potato farm (how luxurious!!). I believe her free time is her own so her colleagues are wanting to go to the beach and do some nearby nature trails.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    This is the stuff I used when I lived somewhere buggy, it's what all our local trainers recommended. I think it was effective, it's hard to be sure. I still got occasional bites but not too many.

swszu0hzbrhk.jpg

It's a cream, not a spray, but I prefer creams to sprays.

Brovid Hasselsmof on