As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Science thread for space and earth and life and just all of that

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    If you want to really blow your mind, the galaxy is ALSO moving

But yeah it just depends on your reference point

I keep imagining the planets losing grip on the sun and being left behind as it wooshes away and having little anxiety attacks

Oh, don’t worry, the Sun is so fuckoff huge that even poor little Pluto is anchored to it like a ball and chain.

Like, it is very difficult to impress upon you just how fucking enormous the Sun is.

If you’re going to have an existential crisis, it should definitely be over the relative size and gargantuan gravitational pull of the Sun.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    nah I save that for when I see the size of our sun as compared to the size of all the other, bigger suns out there

don't like that one bit!

• ChallChall Registered User regular
    If you are ever bothered by how enormous the Sun and space is, try to refocus on something small, like spiders. How tiny spiders can be, and how very many of them are in the room with you right now.

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.livescience.com/runaway-black-hole-the-size-of-20-million-suns-found-speeding-through-space-with-a-trail-of-newborn-stars-behind-it
    Follow-up observations showed that the streak measures more than 200,000 light-years long — roughly twice the width of the Milky Way — and is thought to be made of compressed gas that is actively forming stars. The gas trails a black hole that is estimated to measure 20 million times the mass of the sun and is speeding away from its home galaxy at 3.5 million mph (5.6 million km/h), or roughly 4,500 times the speed of sound.

According to the researchers, the streak points right to the center of a galaxy, where a supermassive black hole would normally sit.

There, that should calm you all down.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I keep imagining the planets losing grip on the sun and being left behind as it wooshes away and having little anxiety attacks

Oh, don’t worry, the Sun is so fuckoff huge that even poor little Pluto is anchored to it like a ball and chain.

Like, it is very difficult to impress upon you just how fucking enormous the Sun is.

If you’re going to have an existential crisis, it should definitely be over the relative size and gargantuan gravitational pull of the Sun.

And even after Saru's said all that, remember:

There are stars out there way, way bigger than Sol.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Bullshit, I've been around helium. Balloons are like the opposite of heavy, and the sun's even lighter than that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    rbao3nna9eki.png

Mercury is in this picture

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

this should help as well

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aeWyp2vXxqA

5gsowHm.png
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    rbao3nna9eki.png

The scale of space is horribly daunting. To scale, if the sun were 3 feet across, the Earth would be merely the size of a marble sitting nearly 600 feet away. Neptune would be about the size of a baseball 3.5 miles away. And even at this tiny scale, the closest star to the sun would need to be placed 2 trillion miles away.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • LokarnLokarn Registered User regular
    Now that everyone has passed through the Total Perspective Vortex, would anyone like a piece of fairy cake?

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

this should help as well

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aeWyp2vXxqA

This video doesn't even explain how the black hole star will come and wash away the rain. Lame

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I do enjoy those scale solar systems that span, like, an entire state

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »

The scale of space is horribly daunting. To scale, if the sun were 3 feet across, the Earth would be merely the size of a marble sitting nearly 600 feet away. Neptune would be about the size of a baseball 3.5 miles away. And even at this tiny scale, the closest star to the sun would need to be placed 2 trillion miles away.

That is wild. At that scale, the nearest star is not even close to even being in our full sized solar system FUCK

nah I save that for when I see the size of our sun as compared to the size of all the other, bigger suns out there

don't like that one bit!

baby steps

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.livescience.com/runaway-black-hole-the-size-of-20-million-suns-found-speeding-through-space-with-a-trail-of-newborn-stars-behind-it
    Follow-up observations showed that the streak measures more than 200,000 light-years long — roughly twice the width of the Milky Way — and is thought to be made of compressed gas that is actively forming stars. The gas trails a black hole that is estimated to measure 20 million times the mass of the sun and is speeding away from its home galaxy at 3.5 million mph (5.6 million km/h), or roughly 4,500 times the speed of sound.

According to the researchers, the streak points right to the center of a galaxy, where a supermassive black hole would normally sit.

There, that should calm you all down.

I want to know what caused that, but I'm not sure if I really want to know.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Remains of galaxies or nebulas torn apart by that super massive black hole passing nearby, perhaps

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    If you are ever bothered by how enormous the Sun and space is, try to refocus on something small, like spiders. How tiny spiders can be, and how very many of them are in the room with you right now.

Good point, I do find thinking about my tarantulas calming

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Nope!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ... huh

Screenshot_20230305_103253_Tumblr.jpg

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The universe actually revolves around me. Every time I go for a walk my mighty legs are able to pull the earth and the universe around me and towards me. So just remember as you all go about your petty pathetic lives you're all orbiting me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    The one in the middle looks like a rock, to me.

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Someone bringin’ the blue sparks, yo.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Call them fart stars you cowards!

Call them fart stars you cowards!

…. Starts?

…. Fars?

…. Sfarts?

…. Sfartars?

Sfartars.

Svartalfheim has an entirely different meaning, now.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We are all star cropdust.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    If you haven't yet seen the new JWST images of Uranus, you really should.

g9nupdvu9v7u.png

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2023/nasa-s-webb-scores-another-ringed-world-with-new-image-of-uranus

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    wait I thought the telescope was pointed away from earth

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    looks like NASA forgot to turn off their anime filter

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Please don't post my butt itt

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I can't believe they needed such a powerful telescope

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I can't believe they needed such a powerful telescope

I was working remotely at the time

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    When it comes to Uranus, we are all of us but a step away from Beavis & Butthead

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    When it comes to Uranus, we are all of us but a step away from Beavis & Butthead

Slouching toward buttheadleham

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Such a dumb name for a cool planet. Just imagine what sort of fucking colossal disaster had to befall it in order for it to be rotating like that. It was probably an entire other planet smacking into it. It is very cool to get a good look at the rings. Between Saturn and Uranus we have the best bling on our planets. The other solar systems get jealous.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    furlion wrote: »
    Such a dumb name for a cool planet. Just imagine what sort of fucking colossal disaster had to befall it in order for it to be rotating like that. It was probably an entire other planet smacking into it. It is very cool to get a good look at the rings. Between Saturn and Uranus we have the best bling on our planets. The other solar systems get jealous.

It's true, Uranus really took a pounding.
    I regret nothing

LJDouglas on
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    I truly hope we can get some Pluto level images of Neptune and Uranus in the next 50 years, or whatever my lifetime winds up being.
    Uranus is already so stunning there but getting real close up can only make it better, right?

3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk