Options

[The Quiet Year] On the Verge

124»

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    @The Brayster Can we make it unanimous?

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    The time for reconciliation is upon us. If we must face the Old Ways, or face Death - the choice is obvious.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    The reality facing us is all too clear: we cannot just ignore the past, and the things that pursue us from it. We will come together as one people again, take up the old tools, and face these threats as a unified community.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    g5ydud2zbeqh.png

Resources:
    Ore (abundant)
    Food (abundant)
    Defences (abundant)
    Magic (scarce)

Projects:
    Build a Perimeter Wall: complete!
    Getting Ready to Fish: complete!
    Make a Bush Trail: complete!
    Set to Forging Iron: complete!
    Meet Marauders: complete!
    Inner Power Unlocked: 2 weeks.

Contempt:
    mrpaku — Abandoning Gate Town.

———

Meeting Marauders

The emissaries pivoted away from Gate Town and chose instead to face the horsemen in a parley. They chose a ridge overlooking them to call down, safe in the knowledge they could withdraw to the mountains on foot at a pace ill matched by horses—or so they hoped.

How did it go down? What was gained and what was lost in our first contact?

———
    “What’s beyond those clouds, mummy?”, a child inquires.

“Nothing darling.”, comes the reply.

No more is said of it, but there is an edge to the rest of the day.

Week Sixteen: Strangeness on the air

@mrpaku you draw the 7 of clubs! Your choice is as follows!

A project just isn't working out as expected.
    Radically change the nature of this project (don't modify the project die). When it resolves, you'll be responsible for telling the community how it went.

OR
    Something goes foul and supplies are ruined.
    Add a new Scarcity.

• Options
    In addition, I’d like to put forth a discussion outside the usual confines of the game.

I propose that we have a new scarcity: Space.

The community aren’t conquerers, clearly, but they’ve spend spring, summer and now autumn stuck either in a walled village or a shallow cave in a hill. We’ve discovered much, but laid claim to none of it.

Likely there aren’t enough people for a whole second village, but could we build an outpost, a watch tower, a magical research grotto some place?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Meeting the Marauders
    The Wrangler’s Chief Foreman and her Number Two stood fearlessly on the bluff as the stranger’s band approached. From nearby, a crystal spyglass peered out from within the depths of an overgrown shrub, its owner careful not to catch the rays of the peering sun.

The muffled voice within the bush methodically notes: “A dozen and a half of them…that they’re willing to put on the block at least. Trying to give us the ol’ show o’ force, yeh? Piss-poor, patchwork-old world armor, mainly cookware n’ copper wire. All riding straight up thur walk, aimless formation, no stagger, no flank guard…”

“S’wreckless.” the Foreman mutters darkly, as she puts on her most welcoming smile to her lips and waves at the incoming Marauders. “Think they’re bluffing?”

The voice behind the spyglass hesitates a second…another. Finally, “…those horses’r starved, chairman, but the riders? The riders have a bit of health…bit o’ green to em. No discipline. Hold their rifles wrong. Too well fed to be proper villains, even. Course’, that being said, what I heard about Lasguns…”

“Right.” The Chief turns to her number two, cocking an eyebrow. “Your call?”

The man’s bow is already in hand, arrow pulled taunt against the string. His face is one of gaunt determination. “Well, I call bullshit, Chief.”

The Chief turns back to regard the Marauders. “Right then.”

It became clear within the first minute that the Marauders hadn’t come to the parley in good faith, overconfident in themselves and expecting zero resistance from our people. When the Wranglers refused to give up the location of our village on a dare, hidden Lasguns eagerly opened fire upon the Chief. Even though we were in cover ready for them, four of our bravest and best were tragically struck down by the sheer force of the voltaic artillery. But that would be the last blood our people shed, for despite their devastating arms these outsiders were soft and weak. In the ensuing battle, our hunters put down half their number within roughly five minutes. Those that survived broke as a unit, and ran to the four winds. Many would be tracked and put down before the sun set. A handful of the remaining surrendered sheepishly. And the Lasguns, a full half dozen of them, were recovered in pristine condition…

A project just isn’t working out as expected. Radically change the nature of this project
    Elder Hsu follows Student Croman and her bobbing lantern to the depths beneath the Adherent’s Sick Ward, their boots clacking against the smooth stone beneath their heels. Coming upon a roughly-carved stone door, Croman places the plague mask over her face, and points for the Elder to do the same. The pair push the door aside and step within…

Those sealed inside still bear all marks of the sickness: sores, pox, the shivers and shakes. The dark place smells of old air and decay, and the near silence is only occasionally disturbed by wracking coughs. Elder Hsu, who had come here very unwillingly and expected a morgue, now stands in the doorway, dumbstruck at what lies within

Around one feverish young man (shaven bald all over, and attempting in vain to sleep) small rocks and pebbles, knick knacks and vial, float in thin air, as though hanging from invisible strings. A young child kicks about in their sleep, creating a sleeping twin beside them. Both kick, and two more twins appear on the floor beneath the bed. Each of the quartet suddenly coughs in unison, and rolls over at the same time. A older woman in the corner is fully encased in a three inch thick, translucent coat of ice; from somewhere near her mouth, an occasional puff of mist emerges as she exhales.

The Adherents plans to unleash their Inner Power has hit a bit of a “glitch”: whereas most get healthy and shed illness through their “guided meditations”, a few very pointedly don’t…and those who don’t seem to develop uncanny phenomenon about their persons!

Start a Project
    Lind marveled at what Sjborn had rigged up in his spare time with a bit of live-wire, some random metal joints, a smuggled crystal and a simple mining pick. “By Gods!” she panted. “If we’d had this when we were buildin’ the walls, could you even imagine what we'd a built!”

Sjborn looks up the walls around the village, an unfamiliar but ambitious glint in his eye. “As s’matter o’ fact…”

I propose, under our new and familial Village Alliance, that we upgrade our Tools, Walls, and Village into a proper City: with the Adherents, Wranglers and Forge, all working in unison. I say it should take Six Weeks: in that time, working together, we will modernize our construction equipment and weapons with Adherent tech and processed minerals from the Forge, while at the same time securing infrastructure and stacking brick upon brick upon our walls, until we are no longer a simple village, but a veritable Fortress upon these hills! (Should take care of the Space Scarcity as well!) In the meanwhile, the Red Bands will take over security of the village borders proper, and the Wranglers will remain our eyes ears and teeth among the hills

What say we?

mrpaku on
  • Options
    I say forge on. Six weeks it is, and at the end we shall have an edifice no straggling marauder would dare broach.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I agree.
    To truly fortify our position could take no less than six weeks.

• Options
    I concur - Six Weeks for this grand undertaking.

• Options
    Quick one today folks! Keep it up!

Resources:
    Ore (abundant)
    Food (abundant)
    Defences (abundant)
    Magic (scarce)
    Space (scarce)

Projects:
    Change of Plans: 1 week. mrpaku to detail when complete.
    Heavy Metal Mountain Fortress: 6 weeks.

Contempt:

———

Culture Check
    Life in the mountain is harsh. There’s been a lot going on. Folks need a pick me up, I think. I’m thinking festival, or a public bath? What do you want?

———

Week Seventeen: Forge fire and smoke

@discrider you draw the ten of clubs! Your choice is as follows…

Harvest is here and plentiful. Add an Abundance.
    OR
    Cold autumn winds drive out your enemies.
    Remove a threatening force from the map and the area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FwHfxSZR0w

• Options
    bitc3hbwl0yo.png

• Options
    As night fell, the fires were lit on the mountaintop.
    Six were placed equidistant around the lodestone, with the centre left open for dancing.

With the fortress started, but all too far off, the village has taken the opportunity to get some air and some entertainment in the open space around the stone.
    The Adherents suggested that the activity would help "attune" the stone, but for everyone else it was just a chance to get out of the cramped confines of the town and let loose.
    In defiance at the harsh world around them.
    And actually enjoy some fish, some goat, and some good music.

----

The next morning, the scouts watching Gate town came back with some news.
    The area around the jade orb had erupted in a fuschia flood.
    On closer examination, it seems Gate town has been overrun with some sort of flowering plant.
    This "Belleshade" appears to be thickest around the orb, growing through or over the bodies of the recently afflicted, with the orb itself having lost some of its lustre.

Most of the town seemed little interested, not willing to risk another venture near the cursed place.
    Some of the more foolhardy adolescents on the other hand...
    They figure it will take two weeks to collect a sample and figure out what they do.
    One week to grab them and run.
    The next week getting in trouble for it.

Add Belleshade as an abundance

@mrpaku @The Brayster @Nips for project length

• Options
    I think you give our youth too much/too little credit. They'll have gathered plenty of the strange flower, and been summarily busted for it in the community, within only one week

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Agreed on one week. Idle youths...etcetera etcetera.

Nips on
  • Options
    @The Brayster to finalise the project length

Looks like it is going for one week, which sort of seems like a bit of a waste of the project slot to determine the use of the free abundance.
    But we seem to be doing okay at the moment, and this is sort of a both on the card ability (add an abundance of dubious quality, and make the orb perhaps less threatening)

• Options
    I'd vouch for two weeks, actually, in agreement with the original suggestion

• Options
    @discrider What say you?

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Keeping it at two weeks I think.
    We only learn of the flower's true purpose after we catch the kids wearing them as badges of bravery and as fashion.

discrider on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    n9x3dw14ha6w.png

Resources:
    Ore (abundant)
    Food (abundant)
    Defences (abundant)
    Magic (scarce)
    Space (scarce)
    Belleshade (abundant)

Projects:
    Change of Plans: complete!
    Heavy Metal Mountain Fortress: 5 weeks.
    Let Belleshade be a Miracle: 2 weeks.

Contempt:

———

We left them to die.

Gate Town is now the Belleshade Ruins. The horseback marauders we defeated have moved south to its location, but are unlikely to stay there, and are of little concern to us. Next week they’ll no doubt keep moving south.

———

@mrpaku

Describe to us what happened when the adherents changed plans.

———
    Winter is here.
    The rain relents for good. The air is crisp. There is no fog. Snow falls now, twinkling, drifting, settling on the mountainside. The sky dances, eclectic shades of green and peach flow over the land. Night is day, day is night, always the sky dances. For now, it is a beautiful thing to behold.

“The lake is frozen solid.”, the fisher breaths out long and steady, watching it hang in the air, “Just like that.”

He snaps his fingers.

His wife agrees, “Just like that.”

Winter uses the full suit of spades. However, as is the rule of this game, when the King of Spades is drawn this game is done.

———

@The Brayster you draw the nine of spades. The hard choice is yours.

Someone goes missing. They're alone in the winter elements. Choose one:
    •The community organizes constant search parties and eventually the person is found. Project dice are not reduced this week.
    • No one ever hears from that person again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd_f5muaMoc

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    With a maximum of thirteen weeks, and now a one in twelve chance of the game ending, make every decision count.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    No one hears from that person again

The discovery of the Belleshade captures the imagination of many adolescents who make it their mission to claim this new substance for their own.

Early one morning, a group of four leave the settlement, nominally to scavenge, but in reality seeking to claim their trophies from the settlement formerly known as Gate Town. During their venture, however, a severe snow storm blows over the entire mountain pass, with no one able to see beyond their own outstretched hands.

Many hours later, the youths return - only, there are three where there should be four. 'Trist was right behind me' the youngest among them pleads 'His hand was just on my shoulder, I swear'.

Discussion:

During our recent skirmish, we captured a few Lasguns. Their construction is unlike any weapon we have. Should we disassemble these weapons, to learn their manufacture, and recreate the process? Or are they best left alone, and we should instead rely on our tried and true methods?

• Options
    Investigation is the heart of advancement. Research on!

• Options
    We have to avail ourselves of all opportunities, but I'm not sure disassembling working armaments is the right thing to be doing right now, with the Dawn's Men likely looking for us right now.

• Options
    A project just isn’t working out as expected. Describe to us what happened when the Adherents changed plans

Student (soon to be unanimously entrusted with the title “Teacher” by her fellow Adherents) Croman sits patiently across from Elder Hsu as the wizened patron attempts to read cramped entries within the tablet. Each of the pair are heavily cloaked in the thick scarves and warm garments now common among village settlers, intermittently puffing rings of vapor as they sit within the half-finished “office” and the frost creeps inside at the edges. Elder Hsu, clearly attempting to mask a building frustration (and his deficient reading abilities), huffs for ten more futile seconds, then drops the parchment roughly back upon the frost-coated desk. “Well, give me the gist of it, then!”

Student Croman forces another conciliatory smile in the Elder’s direction, tapping fingers upon one hand and the other clutching the desk beneath with a grip of iron. “I mean, again, the good news, I suppose, is that the plague seems to have ran it’s course! The mortality rate was…, well, unfortunate. 50%…well, closer to 56% technically. But as to the rest…”

“And are they currently contained?” Hsu inquires, licking his lips nervously.

Croman gives a slight nod. “Sure. For the moment! Mostly by choice…and, some coercion, which I wasn’t proud of, tell-the-truth. But..I’m telling you this now, Hsu…should they ever so choose…the very minute..”

A pale looking Hsu nods in the affirmative, sweat building upon his brow despite attempts to wipe it away. Weakly, he mumbles to himself (as Student Croman pretends not to notice), “…out of the frying pan…”

The Adherent’s Project has healed some, killed others, and a handful of survivors of the process were turned into living weapons: individuals with incredible, supernatural talents, all less than pleased at being locked inside a cave while the fever took them for weeks

I agree with @discrider - dissembling the Lasguns to learn their workings feels like a luxury we can ill afford at the moment. Better to keep them functional, as a measure of last resort

• Options
  • Options
    Our engineers are disappointed, but they understand.

The Lasguns will remain intact for more immediate use

• Options
    s7baia6h4o70.jpeg

We have always been on the verge of the end.
    Great monuments would tell of it,
    were they not so weathered by the ages.
    We were on the run from the Dawn’s Men,
    but now, however briefly, respite. A chance,
    one quiet year with which to flourish, to learn
    what it means to be a community.
    Come Winter, the Second Veil with envelope the sky
    and we might not survive the encounter.

The King of Spades has been drawn.

The game is over.

———

haenld18117m.png

• Options
    Not all projects were completed. That is okay.
    Not all threads were resolved. That is okay.

Now is the time to speculate as to what came next.
    Now is the time to discuss how you felt as the game progressed.

Thanks for playing!

• Options
    Damn. As per usual, that end came out of the blue. We were what, two or three cards into Winter?

• Options
    Also, thank you for running the game @Endless_Serpents! Enjoyable as always, and I'm continually in awe of your art skills.

• Options
    t3gnlq7474hu.png

• Options
    Pretty sure the Dawn's Men turn up, and are frankly pissed that we've been keeping some of their brethren in caves.

Thanks for hosting @Endless_Serpents

• Options
    I liked how after all the division throughout the game everyone eventually came together near the end. I think if these guys survive the winter and the Dawn's Men, their techno -barbarism (and newly developing mutant population) is going to make for a slightly horrifying civilization. They shall become as Gods

Thanks for this Endless, and the rest of you, it was a lot of fun to create this place together!

• Options
    Yeah this went some wild places.

Not sure where I thought this game was going to go when I suggested a mountain setting for a change, but I definitely would have lost money if I'd bet on my top predictions.