As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Aliens:Dark Descent]Harsh language used

2»

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Have they fixed a lot of the bugs yet?

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Have they fixed a lot of the bugs yet?

It's been pretty consisitently patched, so probably. I really need to jump back in since they let you disable the doomsday clock.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Yeah it seems a lot less buggy (lol) this go around.

I'm still only wrapping up Dead Hills but good god this game absolutely nails the atmosphere. I'm playing on a pretty easy custom setting (it stresses me the fuck out to play, but in a good way?), but my only real complaint, which is minor and a lot of it falls on me, is that there are a TON of complex systems at play. I just want my hardened, semi-traumatized grunts to wipe out xenos and make pithy comments, of which there are still plenty.

I just really appreciate how much effort the developers have put into making this game work; you can feel the love of the source material practically dripping from the game. It is definitely a bit janky, but by god it captures the absolute thrill of Aliens down to a T. And the codex and lore are, even at the outset of the campaign, phenomenal.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The game stresses me out, in a good way, as well.

I am actually exhausted at the end of each extraction. It's crazy!

I really enjoy the gameplay and this is made all the better by the devs nailing the shit out of the atmosphere, aesthetics, sound design and tone of Aliens.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    If an Alien game doesn’t stress you out, they didn’t design it well.

Kudos to them managing to do it in a tactics game though.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    I just love that they didn't go too modern with the Marine designs, and that they also tipped the hat artistically with Alien Isolation's art style and level designs!
    This is a solid game, it just needed these updates. However, I hope the game over time limit is still in there as a choice. It's a bold choice, but the Alien universe doesn't do happy endings.

• Options
    Doomsday clock is definitely still there. When you start you have 3 levels of how challenging you want it, or just turn it off.

I'm guessing the ending isn't changed, it just removes the time limit which adds pressure a lot of people don't like (see the complaints about XCOM 2).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I think one of the main successes of the game is that it generally doesn't feel unfair when you get got. There's certainly a learning curve where catastrophic failure will happen, but the system of accumulating stress and damage combined with the ability to simply leave virtually any map at any point really make failures feel fair.

Because yeah, there's going to be those couple of times where you've got soldiers that are stressed, most of your armor is gone, and you've got a little damage while heading into what is clearly a big fight. And you decide hey, I can do this, things have gone pretty well so far. Except you fucked up and weren't paying attention to the Hive status so mid-fight, the Hive kicks out an Elite. Somebody goes down and before you can rez them, the Elite is on your ass and another soldier is down. Now you've got two stressed soldiers pinned between a boss and an Elite and the swarm is pushing too and that's a wrap. Everybody is fucked, but you really did bring it on yourself.

But when you've learned the game a bit, you hit that door, check your stress levels and resources, check your health, see the Hive activity is creeping close to dangerous, and just make a nice quiet exit. Then you come back and stomp ass without getting touched.

Every time I hit trouble in the game, it was because I sabotaged myself by overextending or not paying close enough attention. I had one defensive action where I thought I was set. Multiple turrets. Marines in good spots. Forgot to check for vents. Swarm starts up and just as it's getting heavy, a big bastard crawls out of a vent and make right for the turrets from the side. Downs two of them before I even notice. Third one goes down in the time it takes to get the Marines to bring it down... and now another alien or two out of the vents and everything folds. Next time I try the same spot, wipe everything with zero threats.

EDIT: I'll definitely defend the doomsday clock in the game. I played on Hard or whatever, had time to get very nearly every possible tech and upgrade, lost no Marines, and cleared off the planet with about four days to spare. I could've shaved probably a week off that without much trouble. I feel like they gave the player plenty of time to learn the game, build up, take a look around, and still feel like you have got to go.

Ninja Snarl P on