As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Kansas City: Kinda Good

1939495969799»

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't think it's all that bad of a rule. It happens extremely rarely, and I kind of like the idea that on a last ditch effort the ball can be punched through the back of the endzone to save a touchdown and get the ball back. It's like a videogame comeback mechanic that is super difficult yet very rewarding if you manage to pull it off.

That's why I'd be okay with it being the 1, or the 5, or fuck it, the point of the fumble, if you want it variable.

Bringing it out to the 25 is the worst part, IMO.

At least under a short distance, there's a chance the fumbling team (now on defense), can get a safety, or force the opposition to play in a more restricted manner.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It has to be the point of the fumble otherwise you incent dudes to skip it thru the end zone when going down anywhere within their skipping range

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    imagine a box containing a football, a radioactive material, and a geiger counter

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It has to be the point of the fumble otherwise you incent dudes to skip it thru the end zone when going down anywhere within their skipping range

There's already a rule for that.
    Exception: If a runner intentionally fumbles forward, it is a forward pass (3-22).

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    On the one hand the endzone fumble touchback is kind of consistent with the ball going out of the end zone on kickoffs and punts. But it is inconsistent with the normal out of bounds rules that possession doesn't change and you cannot advance an OOB fumble, that is, the defense is benefitting from the ball going forward which is even acknowledged as problematic since there's an additional rule against batting the ball out. So in my opinion it should be changed to return the ball to the offense at the point of the fumble, making it consistent with the rest of the game.

Or maybe they should change all OOB fumbles to a change of possession. That would at least be consistent.

Or heck, if they want to keep the stupid endzone fumble touchback rule, maybe the should just bring back the incomplete pass in the endzone is a touchback rule.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    imagine a box containing a football, a radioactive material, and a geiger counter

*buzzes in on Jeopardy*

What has Bill Belichick done now?

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    The actual dumbest rule in the game is the disappearing 15 yards on a first down dead ball foul. That one contradicts every other penalty situation just so the first play a set of downs is 1st & 10.

Endzone turnover is at least consistent with "bad stuff happens when you go out the endzone" precedent and allows for awesome defensive plays like Earl Thomas' punch out on Crabtree

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I remember the previous few Lions playoff trips were always just about hoping that one elite player would 'go off'. Like hopeing Megatron or Stafford or Suh would go off so that they could win because the team overall wasn't super talented. But this team is just good, there are good players all over the place, nobody has to go off for them to win. Such a different feeling.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The actual dumbest rule in the game is the disappearing 15 yards on a first down dead ball foul. That one contradicts every other penalty situation just so the first play a set of downs is 1st & 10.

Endzone turnover is at least consistent with "bad stuff happens when you go out the endzone" precedent and allows for awesome defensive plays like Earl Thomas' punch out on Crabtree

I don’t mind the additional penalty for a fumble out of the end zone. I think my issue is that it’s too steep; changing possession is excessive.

I’d be fine with it being a loss of down and returning to original line of scrimmage, for instance. That seems fair. Don’t let the offense have any gain on the play.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    The Lions right now are reminding me of the 2000 Giants. The team that had no business going to the Super Bowl, beating all of the odds and then ran headfirst into a Baltimore based buzz saw.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    On the one hand the endzone fumble touchback is kind of consistent with the ball going out of the end zone on kickoffs and punts. But it is inconsistent with the normal out of bounds rules that possession doesn't change and you cannot advance an OOB fumble, that is, the defense is benefitting from the ball going forward which is even acknowledged as problematic since there's an additional rule against batting the ball out. So in my opinion it should be changed to return the ball to the offense at the point of the fumble, making it consistent with the rest of the game.

Or maybe they should change all OOB fumbles to a change of possession. That would at least be consistent.

Or heck, if they want to keep the stupid endzone fumble touchback rule, maybe the should just bring back the incomplete pass in the endzone is a touchback rule.

I don't understand this argument at all. If you want consistency across all 120 yards of the field then what do you do about a safety? Eliminate it, spot the ball in the endzone, and resume play?

The endzone having unique rules compared to the field of play makes plenty of sense to me. American Football is a weird sport with weird rules, but I don't think this is one of them.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I remember the previous few Lions playoff trips were always just about hoping that one elite player would 'go off'. Like hopeing Megatron or Stafford or Suh would go off so that they could win because the team overall wasn't super talented. But this team is just good, there are good players all over the place, nobody has to go off for them to win. Such a different feeling.

now it's hoping Goff can maintain enough composure not to make irrecoverable mistakes and that not having an effective defensive secondary is survivable

it's much more of a team than previous years, but the flaws are exploitable

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Yeah, the secondary is kinda :grimace:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular