Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Yikers Island

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin

Yikers Island!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Yikers Island

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    For those not getting it - just websearch for "planes collide in Boston" and you should get at least one good whole page of results for the context. Multiple incidents recently.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Not even collisions. Parts falling off mid flight, a plane that dipped suddenly causing passengers to literally hit the roof, etc.

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Statistically speaking, it's still the safest way to travel.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I like how he started with "walk"

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Babe wakeup, new reaction panel just dropped.

oj51au1f3rbe.png

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    A former Boeing guy who was blowing the whistle on corner-cutting and was due to testify was found dead, of an apparenty self-inflicted gunshot wound, after previously stating 'if anything happens to me, it's not suicide.'

Bridge to Commander Yiker.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    A former Boeing guy who was blowing the whistle on corner-cutting and was due to testify was found dead, of an apparenty self-inflicted gunshot wound, after previously stating 'if anything happens to me, it's not suicide.'

That's just not a believable story. It's one thing to do shoddy maintenance, but it's movie-level thinking to believe they'd hire a hitman to actually kill a person. Just to suppress that they had
    *checks notes*
    put thousands of lives at risk of being sucked out of a plane.

Yike three, you're out.

• Options
    LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Maybe lowest risk per mile traveled, but you’d be unlikely to make 3000 mile trips if you never flew

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular
    I already hate flying, I think I'm gonna start going with Airbus from now on. -_-

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob1rYlCpOnM

Statistically speaking, on average, no one died.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    GSM wrote: »

I believe you'll find that, on average, everyone who has ever flown has died.

• Options
    palidine40palidine40 Registered User regular
    HEY HEY, dont worry, they have 90 days to put together a plan to start thinking about fixing the problem that might be the cause that might stop the incidents from happening, maybe, per the FAA... ffs, what the hell is that supposed to do make consumers feel better?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    GSM wrote: »

I believe you'll find that, on average, everyone who has ever flown has died.
    95yyojxhxct7.png

Pretty sus.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    I expect him to blog this live so we can pinpoint the exact moment of demise.
    Maybe in rhymes.

• Options
    CowboyCaseCowboyCase Registered User regular
    I'm sure they'll have a solution soon. Customers who want the entire plane to make the trip with them will be able to subscribe to Boeing Plus for the premium maintenance package.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    Johnny17 wrote: »
    I expect him to blog this live so we can pinpoint the exact moment of demise.
    Maybe in rhymes.

Or Iambic pentameter; for a proper Shakespearean tragedy.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Boeing is working to fix this as we speak.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

That's just not a believable story. It's one thing to do shoddy maintenance, but it's movie-level thinking to believe they'd hire a hitman to actually kill a person. Just to suppress that they had
    *checks notes*

Yike three, you're out.

Counterpoint: people do do extraordinarily stupid things, especially when they feel stressed and threatened.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 21
    On the flip side of the believability thing: this is the second time that a Boeing whistleblower has committed suicide just before giving testimony, and it also happened twice at McDonnell Douglas in the decade or so before the merger during the A-12 fuckup and the birth of the modern costs plus contract boondoggle (McDonnell Douglas is in fact where nearly all of Boeing's current problems began).

It's a stretch to believe a company would have a man killed but it's also a stretch to believe that four consecutive men in the same exact circumstance at two companies with a clear continuity of leadership between them would all commit suicide on the eve of their almost certain triumphs.

Occam's Razor doesn't work when all alternatives are outlandish.

Hevach on
  • Options
    V1m wrote: »

*checks notes*

Yike three, you're out.

Counterpoint: people do do extraordinarily stupid things, especially when they feel stressed and threatened.

I was hoping the /s wasn't necessary but it is the internet. :sweat_smile:

• Options
    737 max and the 787 are the baddies, if attempting to minimize, you can search on many ticket sites for flights without those models

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

*checks notes*

Yike three, you're out.

Turns out he actually did do it, but as the ultimate takedown to ruin Boeing's rep. "No one will ever believe this wasn't a hit!"

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options

Turns out he actually did do it, but as the ultimate takedown to ruin Boeing's rep. "No one will ever believe this wasn't a hit!"

That sounds oddly like exactly what would make Boeing look the best in the situation, is if people believed that. It's odd that we can't believe that someone would want to be alive and make book deals and become a millionaire off of being a whistleblower, but instead we more believe that Boeing wouldn't have a sleazeball higher-up in it that would want this outcome enough.