As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deleted

Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in Artist's Corner
Deleted

Chop Logic on

• Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The first piece is the most troubling to me, given the nice treatment of value, but total butchery of the eye, ear and hair. You have observational skills, but the details are not well rendered. Stop treating hair like a series of lines, and just lay down value there and light with the eraser if you have time. Line work in charcoal, in general, tends to look like shit.
    I like the watercolors.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Thanks a lot for the crits, are the eyes better in the second portrait? Eyes are usually hit or miss for me, and hair is always a struggle. I'll make sure to work more on that. Both of those are around 2 hour poses by the way.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Are the first two the same woman?

Edit: I'm guessing yes. Which leads me to my questions regarding total discrepency between hairlines in the two drawings. Done on different days?

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yes, done two weeks apart.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah the eyes look better in the second, less evidence of charcoal being used like a pencil.
    However, the hatching in of the shadows with is a huge waste of time. Cakemikz does it, but he's very clever about it, sharpening an edge of the charcoal so he's using the a very long edge. He's laying in value very faintly with a much wider edge, allowing him to do it very very fast.. Never use the tip of the charcoal, always the wider edges. If it's hard for you lay down the initial angles just start out by erasing into a value.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    forumkeys.jpg

Is it just me or does this remind anyone else of the teletubbies? I hate those fucking things.

I like the sea scape water colour...very nice.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    MufasaJoe wrote: »
    Yeah the eyes look better in the second, less evidence of charcoal being used like a pencil.
    However, the hatching in of the shadows with is a huge waste of time. Cakemikz does it, but he's very clever about it, sharpening an edge of the charcoal so he's using the a very long edge. He's laying in value very faintly with a much wider edge, allowing him to do it very very fast.. Never use the tip of the charcoal, always the wider edges. If it's hard for you lay down the initial angles just start out by erasing into a value.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't intentionally hatch, but it looks like I did. I'll try using the wider edges, usually I just sharpen it to a very fine point like you said, and then lightly fill in the values and blend it. My process is like this:

1. Mapping out the shadow patterns with outlines
    2. Filling in the shadow patterns with a flat shade
    3. Blending out the soft edges, adding some subtler shadows in
    4. Add in the variations in the shadows, the darker parts, the lighter parts, etc.

I take a portrait class every tuesday night (I'm still in high school), so thats when I'll try using the wide edge.

Mustang: I didn't get a teletubby vibe from them, but it could just be me. Thanks for the kind words. That was the first thing I did with the watercolor pencils.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Some letters from class today, just started piecing again. I'll get some cleaner stuff up later.

lettersfrommt-1.jpg

Chop Logic on