Options

Freeze dried [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Evening

Interesting question from a thing cesca was at about solving the digital literacy problem in schoolkids:

To what extent is the unwillingness of kids to do more research than "the first result on google" about kids wanting instant gratification, and to what extent is it about teachers who grew up using a google that was considerably more useful than it is now imposing the expectation that they use a tool that is no longer fit for purpose?

i think this is more of a "the vast majority of people" thing

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I would very much like to move

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    There are like $300 electric toothbrushes. The one she got was like $90.

And she asked me if I wanted to go in on a double pack, they’d have been $80 per piece then.

But there’s nothing wrong with the one I have so it’d be a waste.

why would you get 2? can't you just switch the heads?

A bit inconvenient, and not 100% hygienic.

Fun fact we did do this for a week because she threw her old one while waiting for this new one. Then she suddenly got norovirus/calici again and you start to think maybe that's one reason you shouldn't share hygienic products.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I know this is an unpopular opinion but I think google is bad

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

i admire your courage

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I didn’t unpack for like three years after the last time I moved solo.

bruh I still got boxes and I’ve been here since 2020

I got a pressure cooker and a new blender from two and three years ago respectively that are still in the box

They're gonna hold a great second-hand value by not being used, using items deprecates their value.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I would note that re: laziness of school kids using the first google result

typically in school before the internet, I would do research by going to the library, doing a book search, and finding the glossiest, shortest, most digestible source and basically copying it. If it didn't have a detail, it wasn't going in the paper. These were generally topic overviews for children younger than I was, but it was great because they offered the subject predigested, and in a way that I could instantly grasp and didn't require a knowledge base of any kind.

got fantastic grades, thought that was what research is until way way later. never received any negative feedback.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Going to raves just like grandpappy.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I think I just assume any new album from a band I like is going to be bad, like, automatically for some reason

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »

i admire your courage

We all do, young Chunus

We all do

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    listing 5 books in the bibliography because that was required but 4 of them were just the books I discarded without reading before finding the glossy overview

because I didn't copy anything word for word and wrote whole grammatical sentences I don't think the teachers even thought I was doing anything wrong. They certainly never said anything.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My favorite thing to do was write an essay and then add in references that agree with it later.

• Options
    Writing the report off the top of your head, blasting it all in one go and making up the facts, then finding the sources after. And when the sources disagreed with what you wrote, having to decide between removing the section and missing the word count or weakening your thesis.

Changing the thesis???????

please it's already 4am and this is due in a few hours.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Fair observations

I think I was having a moment of epiphany at realising that there is a generation of people for whom google has always been crap

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I think I just assume any new album from a band I like is going to be bad, like, automatically for some reason

Either you’re different or they are.

Which is why I only listen to Pearl Jam’s Ten

• Options
    Honk wrote:

Fun fact we did do this for a week because she threw her old one while waiting for this new one. Then she suddenly got norovirus/calici again and you start to think maybe that's one reason you shouldn't share hygienic products.

on one hand I don't share a toothbrush with my husband because it just seems gross, but on the other hand our tongues are regularly in each other's mouths so I'm not 100% on what we are accomplishing.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Every person has a Radiohead era. it's not always the same age, or the same album, but it's inevitable. If you haven't had your Radiohead era yet... you will.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Every person has a Radiohead era. it's not always the same age, or the same album, but it's inevitable. If you haven't had your Radiohead era yet... you will.

This includes members of Radiohead.

• Options
    Honk wrote:

on one hand I don't share a toothbrush with my husband because it just seems gross, but on the other hand our tongues are regularly in each other's mouths so I'm not 100% on what we are accomplishing.

When you feel sick, you abstain from kissing, but probably (hopefully?) still brush your teeth.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    listing 5 books in the bibliography because that was required but 4 of them were just the books I discarded without reading before finding the glossy overview

because I didn't copy anything word for word and wrote whole grammatical sentences I don't think the teachers even thought I was doing anything wrong. They certainly never said anything.

On the one hand, there is value to doing the kind of book report you described. And it would be low-key ridiculous to expect eg a seventh grader to actually critically synthesize dissonant information from a range of sources into their own original contribution.

But we certainly don’t do a great job of communicating that or the reasons for the form. Imo a lot of what even professional scholars say about original research and plagiarism is confused and confusing.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Weef just got an order for 100 airplane shaped sugar cookies for a venue at the airport on Monday so I guess that's our weekend plans.

Should be like $200 profit tho on that order, which is welcome.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    spool32 wrote: »
    There was like a month were I listened to this a whole lot, does that count as a Radiohead era?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjcyUdKSnbQ

cB557 on
  • Options
    The quote button isn't working for me. The API call that powers it is returning a 500 error.

I'm having to copy text and manually format quotes to post.

• Options
    The quote button isn't working for me. The API call that powers it is returning a 500 error.

I'm having to copy text and manually format quotes to post.

Did you try hitting the button more forcefully?

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Same about the quotes.

Pretend I quoted your post on sharing toothbrushes.

It's not even sharing toothbrushes. You're switching out the heads! If you can somehow get the base of an electric toothbrush in your mouth I guess congrats on the gigantic mouth and lack of gag reflex?

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    I dunno. maybe these european electric toothbrushes are super tiny compared to what I'm used to

• Options
    I dunno. maybe these european electric toothbrushes are super tiny compared to what I'm used to

Chanus described his as a toothpaste cannon so I’m thinking there may be some unorthodox designs out theere

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Donkey Kong wrote: »

On the one hand, there is value to doing the kind of book report you described. And it would be low-key ridiculous to expect eg a seventh grader to actually critically synthesize dissonant information from a range of sources into their own original contribution.

But we certainly don’t do a great job of communicating that or the reasons for the form. Imo a lot of what even professional scholars say about original research and plagiarism is confused and confusing.

I found that grating enough in high school that, since we were allowed to source web sources, I posted original ideas under a pseudonym so I could cite them.

• Options
    using your own toothbrush is gross enough

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Please stop using my toothbrush chanus

• Options
    Thats my secret cap

I never quote

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Let he who has never edited lies into a wiki article to avoid rewriting a paper cast the first stone.

• Options
    Tumin wrote: »
    Please stop using my toothbrush chanus

no

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited April 17
    Man it's been a weird thing this year at work, watching as the company pours out a bunch of money chasing the AI dragon.

And like, in the company slack channels (the generic python one especially) seeing this influx of posts from engineers who are asking absolutely bonkers questions that
    1. Are ignorant of our internal build/repo/versioning management tools and systems, which ok it's a lot for new people but they also
    2. Seem to be completely ignorant of any standard production development practices, they don't know the language, they just randomly pip install whatever without using environments (in our systems you shouldn't be pip installing anything), no concept of how to interact with their code aside from manually running scripts... feels like interns that are about to get bounced after their second week

And you look at them and they always have some ai/ml faff in their title.

is this really the future of programming?

I thought i was a fake dev boi but damn

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My school years predate internet research let me get my trebuchet

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »

Chanus described his as a toothpaste cannon so I’m thinking there may be some unorthodox designs out theere

his has two ryobi battery packs on it and will blast through the enamel to tooth pulp if you exceed the 2 minute suggested brush time

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:

It’s totally gross to share a toothbrush! I can’t exactly describe why, but I think it’s because we think of the toothbrush as dirty, and regardless of whose dirt it is that is simply gross

However I don’t think it’s particularly gross to share deodorant—or rather I recognize it seems like a gross move but I do it a lot and it doesn’t bother me

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    maraji wrote: »

his has two ryobi battery packs on it and will blast through the enamel to tooth pulp if you exceed the 2 minute suggested brush time

i've lost seven teeth

• Options
    What about shared nail clippers cred

Speak loudly into this tape

This discussion has been closed.