Options

Can't sleep. [chat] will eat me.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    wawkin wrote: »
    Minimizing the hazard is when they passed laws requiring extravagent ventallation systems. Banning smoking is telling a private business what legal vice is aloud in its establishment is wrong.

So, should a business be allowed to discriminate based on sex or race? And yes, I'm being serious. You're arguing that businesses shouldn't be told how to operate by the state - so if that's the case, you should be in favor of getting rid of anti-discrimination laws, right?

Or, tell me why there's a difference between the two?

Wow, way to take that out of context. One is a legal vice. The other is not. It is that simple. And now I have to go to a meeting.

Yep, you don't get it. At all. The point is either the state has the authority to regulate businesses, or it doesn't. And if it has the authority to regulate businesses, then it can determine what those regulations can be (within the context of the legal structure of the state, of course.) So, there is no problem in the state regulating smoking in bars, because it has the authority to do so, and the rationale is within the state's legal scope. Yes, it's an all or nothing proposition - either the state has authority to regulate, in which case your argument doesn't hold water; or it doesn't, and we go back to the bad old days.

Which will it be?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    God damnit. Now i have this song stuck in my head.

Warning, NSFW

JPants on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    What, exactly, is a 'drum circle'?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I do love me some Elizabeth Banks though.

JPants on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    football > college basketball > soccer > pro basketball > baseball > golf
    Uh, to clarify, mine was most boring to least boring.

t Ghost: I wouldn’t know.

t Tav: American football is more interesting because everybody on the field is actually doing something. I say this as somebody who played footie for a couple years in high school.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Baseball is a very fun sport to go to in person, plenty of breaks for the fans to catch up on whats going on, and as an american child I played it as a kid so it has notalgia factor.

Basketball is a game where scoring is constantly going on and the victor is not really known until the last couple minutes and thats when it could potentially get exciting.

Soccer is like watching someone from D&D on a date, a lot of confusion and ball handling but in the end the chance for scoring is minimal.

Golf isn't a sport to watch anymore then competitive shooting.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So guys, what's up?

[Edit]
    Preacher... you know, you are someone from D&D.

LaOs on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    You guys find watching a sport that stops every five seconds more exciting then basketball or football? Freaks.
    With all the whining in football they're stopping every 5 seconds as well. :P Players should really Grow a Pair (tm) and Stop being Assholes (c).

Don't kick someone else in the kneecaps, don't whine against the ref for the rest of the match because he gave you a yellow card. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oboro wrote: »

A bunch of hippies beat a rhythm on some bongos or big tribal drums or what have you, while a bunch of other hippies sway around in a drug-induced haze which resembles dancing.

Odd that you should mention it because there was one on the lawn in front of the campus library today. I wanted to yell "It's cold you damned hippies! Go inside and shut up!"

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Soccer is like watching someone from D&D on a date, a lot of confusion and ball handling but in the end the chance for scoring is minimal.
    What the fuck football have you seen?O_o

Tav on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    football > college basketball > soccer > pro basketball > baseball > golf
    Uh, to clarify, mine was most boring to least boring.

Oh, haha. I was reading it the other way around.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    AngelHedgie: Smoke thread, go there

Aldo on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I bothers me that I started this line of conversation, and I'm not really a sports fan.

japan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Awesome.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

A bunch of hippies beat a rhythm on some bongos or big tribal drums or what have you, while a bunch of other hippies sway around in a drug-induced haze which resembles dancing.

Odd that you should mention it because there was one on the lawn in front of the campus library today. I wanted to yell "It's cold you damned hippies! Go inside and shut up!"
    There seems to be one near here (read: about an hour and a half by bus) and I'm desperate beyond desperation for something to do so I might go. I don't really get along with hippies, so the experience might be sketchy as a friend-making endeavor. D:

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You guys chatted a lot while I was gone.

James on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

There seems to be one near here (read: about an hour and a half by bus) and I'm desperate beyond desperation for something to do so I might go. I don't really get along with hippies, so the experience might be sketchy as a friend-making endeavor. D:

Make sure it's not... like... a Christian drum circle. I got pulled into one of those a couple of years ago. Harrowing experience.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So did everyone get a chance to see Zen's new sig? Awesome, isn't it?

James on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh yeah, Michael Clayton was really good.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    japan wrote: »
    I bothers me that I started this line of conversation, and I'm not really a sports fan.
    Nor I, but I’m willing to yell about it every once in a while.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    oh man, when I was in North Carolina trying to make that one work, I found a group of people going to see No Country for Old Men over Facebook

turns out they were a Christian youth group

WHOOPS

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    It’s the second day, and I’m still confused when my CFL takes a moment to illuminate.

stilist on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It is my understanding that yelling about stuff is what sports (at least, spectator sports) are for.

japan on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    then again, an outdoor engagement dependent on buses an hour and a half from my apartment is just likely to be enormously uncomfortable in addition to enormously disappointing

Anyone for Scrabulous?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh dear god this newspaper article I'm writing is going to be such a piece of shit. However, I must press on as the deadline approaches. Forward!

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

It is my understanding that yelling about stuff is what sports (at least, spectator sports) are for.

My personal favorite is "GET OFF YOUR KNEES, REF! YOU'RE BLOWING THE GAME!!"

It's fun to heckle fans of the other team too. Especially when your teams are bitter rivals.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Oh dear god this newspaper article I'm writing is going to be such a piece of shit. However, I must press on as the deadline approaches. Forward!
    It’s for the newspaper, so you’re right on target.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have an essay due on Friday. I haven't started it yet, because I hate functional writing with a fucking passion. I try to write something, then I get frustrated with how shit it is and then give up. I've not made it past the 2 page mark with any of them, yet :(

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I have an essay due on Friday. I haven't started it yet, because I hate functional writing with a fucking passion. I try to write something, then I get frustrated with how shit it is and then give up. I've not made it past the 2 page mark with any of them, yet :(
    Huh, I just write.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Weekend, hurry up and get here!

James on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It’s for the newspaper, so you’re right on target.

True, but I like to maintain at least some illusion of standards.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Awesome.

I really just wanted to do this joke, all my sports talk was the set up.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I want to go snowboarding.....

James on
  • Options
    wawkinwawkin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Minimizing the hazard is when they passed laws requiring extravagent ventallation systems. Banning smoking is telling a private business what legal vice is aloud in its establishment is wrong.

So, should a business be allowed to discriminate based on sex or race? And yes, I'm being serious. You're arguing that businesses shouldn't be told how to operate by the state - so if that's the case, you should be in favor of getting rid of anti-discrimination laws, right?

Or, tell me why there's a difference between the two?

Wow, way to take that out of context. One is a legal vice. The other is not. It is that simple. And now I have to go to a meeting.

Yep, you don't get it. At all. The point is either the state has the authority to regulate businesses, or it doesn't. And if it has the authority to regulate businesses, then it can determine what those regulations can be (within the context of the legal structure of the state, of course.) So, there is no problem in the state regulating smoking in bars, because it has the authority to do so, and the rationale is within the state's legal scope. Yes, it's an all or nothing proposition - either the state has authority to regulate, in which case your argument doesn't hold water; or it doesn't, and we go back to the bad old days.

Which will it be?

For one thing... "So, should a business be allowed to discriminate based on sex or race?"
    That is federal, not state.

And you are right, it is an all or nothing. And apparently, people have chosen all. Which is really the point since I dont even smoke. People rose up and gave state gov'ts the right to regulate private business. That is exactly what happened. And somehow, you are all fine with that. That is what really grinds my gears.

wawkin on
    Talkin to the robbery expert.

"This is where I say something profound and you bow, so lets just skip to your part."
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Huh, I just write.

Want to write a 4 page essay for me? There's gold and possibly a hug for you if you do.

Tav on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Huh, I just write.

Want to write a 4 page essay for me? There's gold and possibly a hug for you if you do.

Four pages? Man, you've got it made. What's it about?

James on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Huh, I just write.
    Subject?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And you are right, it is an all or nothing. And apparently, people have chosen all. Which is really the point since I dont even smoke. People rose up and gave state gov'ts the right to regulate private business. That is exactly what happened. And somehow, you are all fine with that. That is what really grinds my gears.

Man, you would really hate Canada.

James on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm back from the theatre! And a bit depressed.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    James wrote: »
    Huh, I just write.

Four pages? Man, you've got it made. What's it about?

There were 6 titles.

1) "I tune into conversations around me" ~ Write an essay based off this sentence.
    2) Write an essay (Serious or light-hearted) about the modern shopping centre.
    3) Write a speech about why the past should not be glorified.
    4) Write a speech for your peers (Serious or Light-hearted) about how you would change the world.
    5) Write an essay on the passions of youth.
    6) Write an essay based off any of the following pictures or themes (War, protests, smoking ban, global warming)

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.