As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

C.H.U.D. - The Videogame (NSF56k), or Everybody Hates Halo

UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
edited February 2008 in Games and Technology
chud.jpg

No, they aren't actually making a game about the horror classic. This is more of a rant thread about lack of ingenuity in enemy/level design.

It seems like a good deal of action games these days have at least one section or area where the enemies become mindless and the levels become drab, simplistic, and uninteresting (or, as is the new craze, simply dark as shit). My friends and I have come to call these enemies C.H.U.D.s (after the movie), and we abhor them. I may be alone, but I hate, hate, hate hate coming upon a sewer or a cave in a game, because I know I'm going to be forced to fight the same dull enemy over and over. And usually it's a spider, but with some Xtreme modification, like sword-legs or an upside-down head. Here are some examples:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
med_1140412290-232.jpg
Why go for the throat when I can go for the kidneys?

Most of the game involves poking people to death using nifty first-person hand-to-hand combat that really hasn't been matched to this day (except for maybe Condemned). Except for the two hours in the middle where you're slogging around the pitch black area called "The Pit" avoiding troglodytes because you don't have enough ammo and your context-sensitive melee moves don't work. Very unbecoming of Vin Diesel, since I heard on the internet that footage of his circumcision later went on to become the film Armageddon.

PsiOps: The Mindgate Conspiracy
psi-ops-mindgate-conspiracy-4.jpg
What's a little surprise-sexing of the face between friends?

This game would be absolutely horrible if it weren't for the psychic powers gimmick that lets you fling men about, light them on fire, and/or commandeer their brains and force them to kneel down and put the barrel of their own gun into their mouth. I own this game, but I've never beaten it because the game designers decided that the last 20% of the game should just be you fighting psi-gametes (see above, I just made up the name because I don't know what they actually are) in an ancient tomb (which is actually just a cave). And since your psychic powers don't work on them, you just shoot them with your generic guns...which brings us full circle back to the first sentence of this paragraph. Way to go Midway!

(By the way, apparently the studio that developed this went on to develop Stranglehold. Probably for the best)

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
update1865tk7.jpg
It's times like these that I'm glad I picked Toreador at the start. (Photo credits to Aistan from the LP:Bloodlines thread)

A great game that I got into thanks to this forum. Yet it still doesn't excuse the fact that this game - which is mostly about choosing how to get things done - forces you to go through monster-laden dungeons (especially the Sewers!) occasionally. Really blows when you are trying to run through as a non-combat character.

Halo 1/2/3/The Quest for More Money
halo_the_library_tips_picgroup1-02.jpg
The Flood feature the most advanced AI Bungie ever developed, known as "Real-time Ambling Towards the Player" and "Ignoring Grenades Like No Other Enemy in the Game Does"

Harping on Halo isn't always a great idea on these forums, but I'll go ahead and say that The Flood are a fine idea for the games' plot and a horrible idea for their gameplay. Halo made a name for itself with wide-open areas, vehicles, and combat against effective, organized enemies...except for the parts where none of that is true. And while it was a bit better in part 3, it's sad that it took that long for them to realize.

F.E.A.R.
No picture for this one. I liked this game quite a bit for its visceral gun combat and spooky environments. Unfortunately, the last few levels eschew all of that and turn into The Real Ghostbusters. Don't cross the beams, you jerks, because the gameplay simply gets stupid at the end. Maybe it got better in the expansions?

Far Cry
my-pet-monster_large.jpg
Get used to this visage; you'll be seeing it often in this game

This game was a big deal when it first came out, because its expansive environment and sophisticated enemy AI were supposed to change the way we play games...and then you get about halfway through and fight "mutants" that just run at you and hit you no matter what. Lucky for them, Crytek didn't fuck them over and made them ridiculously fast, instantly deadly, and placed many of your encounters with them indoors. While we're forgetting what makes our games fun, let's jury-rig Dr.Mario to the last half of Metal Gear Solid.

doom3-03976.jpg
The latest screenshot from Grand Theft Auto 4

Honorable mention goes to Half Life 2, which actually did its standard "dark area with stupid enemies" section very well.

Anyways, why do game developers do this? To pad length? To provide variety? Why disregard the most compelling parts of the games we love and force us back to the days where we fought men with chainguns implanted in their chests for a level or two at a time?

Any other examples? Or am I alone in being sick of C.H.U.D.s?

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
Ultimanecat on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Something about personal opinion goes here.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hated every encounter with the Flood in every Halo game.

So you're definitely not alone there.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I approve of this rant.

There really are few things quite as irritating as having all your cool powers taken away and being sent to play doom for an hour and a half to earn your gold star.

God damn I hated the flood. Sure they're easy enough to kill, but as a dedicated mouser I found them just about intolerable to play against with a controller. Oh good lord how I hated them.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FarCry is a culprit too. Stupid mutants.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well I think the problem is lazy design. There are games that don't necessarily have "C.H.U.D.s" as you call them, but still have levels with tired mechanics whose only purpose is to pad the length of the game. The last few levels of Bioshock come to mind.

The thing is, lazy design isn't a modern phenomena, and I don't think it's ever going to go away. I can only think of a few games that don't drag at certain points.

Food on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't think I can ever forgive you to leading me to think there would be a video game about C.H.U.D.

Curse you! Also, I think these levels may be an outlets for the devs sick, sick hated of people.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    C.H.U.D.?

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Alright, I'll actually contribute something to this thread, since it's a pretty solid OP, and I don't want come of as a complete dick. I'm only somewhat of a dick, thanks.

The Flood sucked, right from the start. They aren't even as smart as a Grunt, they have lots of health, and there's a ton of them. Basically, they replaced good enemies with really poorly designed ones. Doesn't make a lick of sense. It's what I like to call "artificial difficulty," instead of designing worthy opponents, they make really dumb ones with lots of health and big guns. The only reason they are hard to beat is because they are stupidly unbalanced.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hah, funny thing regarding the FEAR one: When the game first came out in the PA FEAR thread, someone mentioned playing the Ghostbusters theme while playing that part. It made it 5,000x better, no lie.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    C.H.U.D. is an acronym for "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.H.U.D.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Assassin's Creed is pretty bad for this at the end, where all concept of blending into a crowd and sneaking to your target goes out of the window and you get a half-an-hour sequence where you have to slog through waves of enemies to reach an arena fight. Not really the way I would have chosen to close off the game, to be honest.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Big Isy wrote: »
    FarCry is a culprit too. Stupid mutants.

Actually, I was going to include FarCry. But then I forgot because I got ahead of myself.

Besides, apparently Crytek figured out that if you're going to force the player to fight uninteresting enemies in their mercenary combat game, the rainforest needs to be frozen solid. That's the only way to do it right.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Ice and snow make everything better.

Really, whats a game without a frozen wasteland level?

I live in Canadia. Snow is not cool. Snow is piking cold.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thats sarcasm right.... Its just that.... well...I'm really tired.

Another one I think qualifies as being mentioned is The Darkness. Oh Man. I hate saying bad stuff about this game cause the immersion alone worth the price of the game but the........spoiler needed..
    bits where you go to hell, or whatever its supposed to is just ridiculous. Everything is pitch black. The enemies weren't the worst thing too, as shitty as they were, it was the freaking light. I found myself running up and down the same fucking trench for over an hour trying to work out where I'm supposed to go

Seriously though, y'all should buy it anyway.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Huh. The Library is why I have Halo 1 on my laptop. I know it's boring as hell the first time, but now that I'm not playing it for the story I just go back to it to blast zombies in the face with a shotgun every now and then.

Also, Crimsonland, which is basically wall-to-wall CHUDs.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I really don't have a problem with games that you know from the outset are all about blasting mindless enemies in dark places. I love survival horror games, and even though I picked on it a bit, Doom 3 was really only criticized because it shoehorned story bits into its monster closet gameplay (pretty much the opposite of my complaint) and made people realize how much more it could have been.

I guess it's true that simplifications of gameplay aren't always accompanied by situations like those I named above, however.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    *Spit* A pox on sewer levels I say!

Seriously though. You can randomly select any FPS game and it will more than likely contain a sewer level. Sometimes I forgive this if the game gives me a convincing reason to be in the sewers. They mostly do not however.

The Flood? I like the Flood in concept, but in execution it leaves much to be desired. Especially when each of the Halo games has you fighting Covenant until about half-way then you get to fight the Flood through the rest of the game.

Most games do have these "C.H.U.D.s", but luckily its normally for like one level. For Halo its the last half of the game! Despite my gripes, I am still a whore for all things Halo.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    NegrodamusNegrodamus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uncharted pulled this shit towards the end.

Though they did kind of hint that it was coming through most of the game, with your attention being drawn to a vague shadow skipping across the screen in the distance.

Negrodamus on
    XBL: P3rcyMiracl3s | PSN: gumby24
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Am I the only one who thought of the CHUD website as well as the film?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think it can sometimes work out. I found the Library in Halo to be an interesting break from the combat I'd been going through in the first five levels, and following that is a mixing of Flood, Sentinels, and Covenant in a massive free for all that works out perfectly. These mixed encounters were, to me, some of the best moments in the game.

For the most part though, I agree with you. I don't think it is just the mindlessness of certain enemy types that causes problems; it's that they just aren't fun to fight for a couple of reasons:
    A) In general, they provide poor visual feedback when you score hits and do damage. Most enemies in Half-life 2 (particularly the Hunters), and Halo's brutes are my favourite examples, but Doom 3's zombies, Far Cry's Trigens, and so many others suffer from the same problem.
    B) In general, encounters with weak AI enemies tend to play out the same way every single time.

And I don't think it is necessarily an issue of padding. I think a lot of it is an attempt at atmosphere that just doesn't quite pan out, or an enemy design concept that never really worked in-game but had too many resources put into it to be cut by the end of a project.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    oh goooood, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic caves

jesus, jesus, jesus christ

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I think they're thrown in because it's a standard type of game design.

1) Small groups of smart enemies

2) really small groups (ore singular) huge enemies that take ages to kill

3) hordes of stupid enemies

shryke on
  • Options
    FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

That part almost made me not want to finish the game.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I have never hated spiders so much as I did in that game. Those entire areas were exercises in anger management.

And antidote hoarding.

Aistan on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Negrodamus wrote: »

Though they did kind of hint that it was coming through most of the game, with your attention being drawn to a vague shadow skipping across the screen in the distance.
    Yes, yes, YES.

I fucking HATED the end game of Uncharted. It was complete bullshit.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I just remembered Perfect Dark. Another game I haven't beaten because it actually makes me insane in the final levels. I still don't know what they hell you are fighting in those levels because of the blurry graphics.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Perfect Dark was a very trippy game. I recall many, many hours of fragging with my little meat head friends playing that game.

I honestly don't remember what the story was, it was just a lot of fun.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Perfect Dark was a very trippy game. I recall many, many hours of fragging with my little meat head friends playing that game.

I honestly don't remember what the story was, it was just a lot of fun.

Lets see if I can recall what the story was.

Aliens are trying to take over Earth with the aid of Mega-Corp Datadyne. You then travel to Area 51 in search of answers. Which leads you to blowing up Air Force One because it was in fact a plumb-bot that came to Earth to hunt down the Change-a-trons who have been hiding on Earth disguised as quality furniture to escape Plumb-bot oppression. Then everyone ends up blowing each other up with Nukes they got from the Brits in exchange for teeth to eat Corn on the Cob with.

Or something like that.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Sounds familiar, thats probably about right. Where did the magic acid trip sniper rifle come in, though?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Sounds familiar, thats probably about right. Where did the magic acid trip sniper rifle come in, though?

That's when you're assassinating the armchair ambassador, Steven

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    major_tommajor_tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Graviija wrote: »
    Negrodamus wrote: »

Yes, yes, YES.

I fucking HATED the end game of Uncharted. It was complete bullshit.

Haha, I thought I was the only one.
    seriously, when they started hinting at the presence of EVIL MONSTAR enemies my eyes nearly rolled out of my fucking skull. For awhile I was worried that the big reveal would be that they were mutant nazis. If this had happened I fear the game would have reached some kind of cliche critical mass with all the tired predictable bullshit trying to occupy the same space at once.

major_tom on
    This is what i get for caring about gamercards...
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    On the subject of games like Uncharted, Halo and *shudder* Indigo Prophecy: (plot spoilers ahoy)
    Why do they insist on supernatural/alien enemies that really don't belong? In Halo's case it's not really anything out of the ordinary, it just sucked, and I was perfectly fine with fighting Covenant. Unless I'm doing a full run-through, I avoid the Flood levels like the plague (no pun intended). It just seems like such a bad move, especially in IP's case. I didn't play the full game, but the plot towards the end is far inferior to the plot in the beginning, based on what I've been told. I would never have expected "shadow people" in Uncharted, either. I'm disappointed.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Every single quest in Oblivion...

EDIT: I LOVED Riddick, so that section didn't bother me.

artoo on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I updated the OP with Far Cry.

I also just remembered that the original Devil May Cry did this, as well. If you don't remember, it's because your mind won't let you.

Ultimanecat on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought of the CHUD website as well as the film?

Nope. I thought of it too.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky