As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lego Halo

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    bruin wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    You know Halo 3 was great but I'm so sick of halo at the moment. We dont need Halo lego, or even halo wars.

it was once a great series which I think is going to get whored out so much now.

I feel the same way

Then I imagine an ODST tactical squad-based shooter and I really don't care how much they whore it out

You guys can feel sick of Halo if you want to, but honestly, how is it being overexposed in any way? There have been 3 games in the last six years, zero spinoffs. If you're already sick of Halo, how can you even stomach Mario?

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me, either.
    picture-1.png

halo3-mountaindew.jpg

halo-3-mountain-dew.jpg

In other news, I'm still totally AMP'd that Halo 3 won the "Most Addictive Game Fueled by Dew" category at the Spike Video Game Awards.

So 1 single promotion is all it takes then?

shryke on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's not that Halo is overexposed, its that anything more now is milking the franchise.

The overarching plot of Halo 1 - 3 is done. Complete. Anything else is completely ancillary or useless material.

I felt it was pushing it with Halo 3. Halo 1 is still the best game in the series and while 2 and 3 are great games, the amount of plot in each is getting more and more tenuous.

I mean how many times can the flood come back? Or how many fucking Halos are they going to visit etc etc.

It's not that they ran out of ideas. Its that Halo 1, 2 and 3 is at most 2 games stretched out over 3 games. So much material is completely disposable and redundant. Plot for plots sake.

Now, if they make another Halo game, even basing it in the Halo universe is completely pointless as the Halo universe is so derivative anyways. Making it seem more rehashed.

I just think that the mythos and universe Halo is set in isnt exactly interesting enough to warrant spin offs. Without MasterChief and the Arbiter, the only genuinely interesting characters in the games, anything set in the Halo world is going to be Aliens redux.

I'd much prefer something original rather than a cash in on the brand name. Because Halo is a brand now. Not a game. And that sickens me because the first game I think is a landmark in video games.

A better analogy would be that Halo is The Matrix, and it has sequels in the same way.

The fact that so many people believed Lego Halo was real is a sign of just where the series and the 'brand' of Halo has gone.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A better analogy would be that Halo is The Matrix, and it has sequels in the same way.

No, its not a good analogy, as Halo 2 and 3 were actually good games. In fact I liked 3 better than 1 and 2. The same cannot be said about The Matrix, where I only wish I could forget that Reloaded and Revolutions ever existed.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Haha who the fuck would believe that in the first place?

Edit: Oh god, apparently not only the site but half the fucking halo 3 forums too. How gullible.

OH MY GOD.

I tried reading that thread but everyone on the damn forums has a signature that's ten times the length of their post.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    You know Halo 3 was great but I'm so sick of halo at the moment. We dont need Halo lego, or even halo wars.

it was once a great series which I think is going to get whored out so much now.

I feel the same way

Then I imagine an ODST tactical squad-based shooter and I really don't care how much they whore it out

You guys can feel sick of Halo if you want to, but honestly, how is it being overexposed in any way? There have been 3 games in the last six years, zero spinoffs. If you're already sick of Halo, how can you even stomach Mario?

picture-1.png

halo3-mountaindew.jpg

halo-3-mountain-dew.jpg

In other news, I'm still totally AMP'd that Halo 3 won the "Most Addictive Game Fueled by Dew" category at the Spike Video Game Awards.

Absolutely!

I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing.

Actually, the whole "Dew" thing was just one facet of it. Halo 3 was marketed very aggressively, and with the combination of websites that I visit plus stores that I go to, everywhere I went leading up to launch it was wall to wall "BUY HALO 3".

I'll also add this, from a personal standpoint, so that I may be mocked and anything else I say discredited.

I don't "get" Halo. As a PC gamer I never really understood why it got to be as big as it is. I picked up a copy of Halo PC, and it was enjoyable enough...I worked through the single player and had some fun with multiplayer...but it never struck me as being anything really special. It wasn't enough to compel me to purchase the PC version of Halo 2, for example.

But one of my coworkers, who is a bit younger than myself and has only ever known console gaming, is all about Halo, considers it the best game series ever made, and plays it constantly. Which is cool, I'm glad he's enjoying himself. I guess it's just not "for" me. ;)

citizen059 on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think their best obvious joke one was the Lord of the Rings Kart Racing game. The pics looked fairly convincing but you knew it was joke unless you are a 14 year old dumbass.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't "get" Halo. As a PC gamer I never really understood why it got to be as big as it is. I picked up a copy of Halo PC, and it was enjoyable enough...I worked through the single player and had some fun with multiplayer...but it never struck me as being anything really special. It wasn't enough to compel me to purchase the PC version of Halo 2, for example.

But one of my coworkers, who is a bit younger than myself and has only ever known console gaming, is all about Halo, considers it the best game series ever made, and plays it constantly. Which is cool, I'm glad he's enjoying himself. I guess it's just not "for" me. ;)

The reason I love Halo (the first one) was cause me and my friends could grab a bunch 2-3 systems, a bunch of controllers, and have a hell of a fun night with it.

Multiplayer is so much better when the other guys right next to you, or just on the other side of the room, so you can hear him swear at you when you frag him.

And for console gamers, Halo is one of the first big FPS games. The only one that really got alot of attention before it was GoldenEye (which people loved too). Halo, however, hit at the right time, around when console gaming was getting pretty mainstream with the public. Hence, big explosion of popularity.

It's like the Mario Kart of console shooters.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »

No, its not a good analogy, as Halo 2 and 3 were actually good games. In fact I liked 3 better than 1 and 2. The same cannot be said about The Matrix, where I only wish I could forget that Reloaded and Revolutions ever existed.

Halo 2 and 3 are superior games.

I was talking purely from a narrative point of view.

Which Halo 1 trounces its sequels on.

Too much political machinations and predictable plot twists in the sequels. Halo 1 is pure and simple, thematically brilliant and has no convoluted plot holes or redundant characters. It has good pacing, and good dialogue.

Halo 2 and 3 are better games, but only because they have improved graphics, gameplay and multiplayer among other things. If Halo 2 and 3 were done in the Halo 1 engine they would be massively inferior games to the first.

Therefore, my analogy was accurate. Halo 1, like the Matrix 1, is superior in narrative. Its sequels have better technicals, better graphics more action and bigger landscapes, more characters and more special effects but ultimately fall down narratively and are inferior because of that. Exactly mirroring the Matrix sequels, which had bigger budgets, more characters but worse plots.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Haha who the fuck would believe that in the first place?

Edit: Oh god, apparently not only the site but half the fucking halo 3 forums too. How gullible.

OH MY GOD.

I tried reading that thread but everyone on the damn forums has a signature that's ten times the length of their post.

My favorite is the dumbass with the 900 pixel high sig, at the bottom of which is a 1.1MB .gif of a Halo 3 DM. Basically, any forum having anything remotely to do with halo is filled with 13 year old retards.

That said, I've got the first two on the Xbox mainly for the occasional Xbox LAN party, because if there is one thing the Halo series has it's decent multiplayer. It's no TimeSplitters good, but it's still pretty good, and Halo 2 has a metric shitload of (free) maps now, so that helps quite a bit. Singleplayer is fairly generic, but the fact that it has co-op counts for a lot with me. I am a huge fan of co-op.

That said, if Bungie came out with a squad-based tactical shooter in the Halo universe (basically Republic Commando reskinned with Covenant and Flood instead of Separatist Droids and Trandoshans), I would buy it.

Basically somebody needs to get cooking on a new Republic Commando game. That semi-cliffhanger ending was a sucky way to end an incredible game and I wanna know what
    the fuck happened to Sev damn it.

Einhander on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I get giddy at the idea of driving a lego Warthog into a group of Covenant and watching all the little lego body parts fly.

Arrath on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They really should make a lego halo game. It would be gold.

Cartoonish comedy versions of all the halo cutscenes would be awesome.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    Basically somebody needs to get cooking on a new Republic Commando game. That semi-cliffhanger ending was a sucky way to end an incredible game and I wanna know what

I've been saying this for years, but has anybody listened?

The answer is no

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

The answer is no

You should know what happened anyway
    He died cause he wasnt a jedi! lawl!

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

The answer is no

You should know what happened anyway
    He died cause he wasnt a jedi! lawl!

You son of a bitch

Take it back take it back

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wanted to shoot the stupid jedi so bad when he bit it. ;_;

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sure, he wasn't a Jedi, but I refuse to think he died, even though that would entail granting a character shield to a character who was essentially a glorified Stormtrooper. Can we do that? Can we give a plot shield to a redshirt?

Seriously, this is some zen shit guys.

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sure, he wasn't a Jedi, but I refuse to think he died, even though that would entail granting a character shield to a character who was essentially a glorified Stormtrooper. Can we do that? Can we give a plot shield to a redshirt?

Seriously, this is some zen shit guys.

Well maybe we could say he was force sensative and then he would be a pseudo jedi. Then in the sequel it can be just him with a lightsaber!

Yeah they could do it so its like his force powers are super over the top and can like control whole star destroyers at a time! And then he uses force time travel to become Darth Vader's apprentice.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    But
    how could he be force sensitive if he was a clone? If he had midicloriens in his blood then wouldn't that mean that
    ogre01pt4.jpg

Einhander on
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While LEGO Star Wars was lots of fun, the gameplay isn't very deep. If they want to keep churning out LEGO games, they need to mix it up a whole bunch.

Also, it makes sense to LEGO-fy a movie, a LEGO game based upon another game is a fucking stupid idea. Oh, and it's Halo, so boo to that.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    But
    how could he be force sensitive if he was a clone? If he had midicloriens in his blood then wouldn't that mean that
    ogre01pt4.jpg

He was bit by a radioactive midiclorien.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

picture-1.png

Apparently you don't remember when Mario had his own cereal.

ad_nintendo_cereal_system.jpg

edit: Not to mention, now that I think of it, watches, candy, shampoo, walkie talkies, curtains, ties, and goddamn ceiling fans.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    Also, it makes sense to LEGO-fy a movie, a LEGO game based upon another game is a fucking stupid idea. Oh, and it's Halo, so boo to that.

Yeah, see, that's just kind of a dumb statement. If you were saying that because you think Halo has boring gameplay or you hate the controls or whatever, then that's fine. Just saying "boo halo" is exactly the sort of quality comment that people expect out of all those Halo boards populated by squeaky kids.

I think Halo could be a lot of fun in Lego form. Plenty of the stuff in the Lego Star Wars games is stuff you don't actually see in the movies, just other Star Wars games. And it doesn't even need to make sense, it's a Lego game!

I'm stumped as for what they would do as far as making the gameplay fun, though. If they did it just like the Lego Star Wars stuff, it'd be boring as hell just because Lego Star Wars did that for a whole series of games. Kinda old now. If they made it an FPS, it would probably feel way, way too much like the actual series.

I'm kinda liking the idea of running into a group of Lego Grunts in a Lego Warthog and laughing as they explode into a thousand lego bits, screaming Grunty screams the whole time. A Republic Commando-style game in the Halo universe would probably be a lot better, though.

Oh, and as long as I'm wishing for things that'll never happen, I want to put in my vote for a Republic Commando sequel. Too bad nobody in the game was a Jedi and thus the game is immediately disqualified for a sequel. Jedi are neat and all, but Star Wars has a metric ton of characters that are better than the Jedi because they don't need Force powers to be awesome.

I miss Delta Squad. :(

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

LEGO MAH HALO!

...I'm so sorry

blakfeld on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    blakfeld wrote: »

LEGO MAH HALO!

...I'm so sorry

I... I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

I really want to talk about how awesome Republic Commando is/a sequel would be, but we're kinda derailing this thread. One of yous should make a RC thread or something.

Anyway, Lego styled games could be cool if they were different enough that you weren't just playing Lego Star Wars reskinned edition. We've had two 3D action platformers already, Lego Indiana Jones should be a more puzzle platformer (Tomb Raider style), and Lego Batman should be more of a driving game/brawler (drive around in the Batmobile and beat the shit out of criminals).

Lego Halo as a FPS would probably feel way to much like regular Halo unless they mixed it up significantly or added the squad mechanic. But if they made a squad based Lego Halo I'd just want a regular style squad based Halo game instead. And if they made a regular style squad based Halo game I'd just want Republic Commando 2 instead.

So, basically, it all comes back to Republic Commando 2.

Einhander on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LEGO: Total War needs to be made.

LewieP on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    LEGO: Total War needs to be made.

Scavenge the fallen to build your own armies up. YES. YES. YES.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think their best obvious joke one was the Lord of the Rings Kart Racing game. The pics looked fairly convincing but you knew it was joke unless you are a 14 year old dumbass.

I'm not sure if that's entirely fair, because a lot of really stupid fucking games get made these days... ala, Sneak King, etc.

I mean, even the decent ones... imagine describing No More Heroes to someone five years ago.

Yeah, it's like this... you play as Johnny Knoxville, and you run around town all day murdering jailbait with a fluorescent lightbulb. Also, when it runs out of batteries, you jack it off to charge it back up.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh goodie! A halo bashing thread! I figured it has been way too long since our last one of these, and we were way over due for another. What has it been, two weeks?

You guys are great with your exceptions. "Olol halo has three games in the franchize totally milked to the ground!" "olol halo 3 only sold 6 million first day and not 100 million BIGGEST FLOIP EVER!" "olol halo is a shitty FPS game, if you take pc game 'a''s aspect and combine it with aspects from pc game 'b', pc game 'c', and pc game 'd', you'll have a much better game!"

Oh wait, you mean this wasn't a halo bashing thread? It was about an april fool's joke from EGM about a new lego game? oh, who cares, halo sucks anyways m i rite?

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh goodie! A halo bashing thread! I figured it has been way too long since our last one of these, and we were way over due for another. What has it been, two weeks?

You guys are great with your exceptions. "Olol halo has three games in the franchize totally milked to the ground!" "olol halo 3 only sold 6 million first day and not 100 million BIGGEST FLOIP EVER!" "olol halo is a shitty FPS game, if you take pc game 'a''s aspect and combine it with aspects from pc game 'b', pc game 'c', and pc game 'd', you'll have a much better game!"

Oh wait, you mean this wasn't a halo bashing thread? It was about an april fool's joke from EGM about a new lego game? oh, who cares, halo sucks anyways m i rite?

Wow, defensive much?

Seriously though, Halo does kinda suck.

RING RING, it's 1997, they want their "innovative" FPS games back. Oh wait, it's on a console, nevermind then.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm not surprised that the guy with Halo marines as his avatar would be defensive of the series.

Einhander on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Out of interest, does Republic Commando run well on the 360? I've never got round to playing it, so I think I'll pick it up.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm not surprised that the guy with Halo marines as his avatar would be defensive of the series.

Rainbow Six avatar you mean!

Also, to the defensive guy, don't confuse genuine criticism with 'bashing'.

Halo is far, far FAR from perfect and the issues raised in this thread are legitimate.

If you think Halo is the best game ever made you need to play more games.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    Apparently you don't remember when Mario had his own cereal.

ad_nintendo_cereal_system.jpg

Man, I used to beg my Mom to buy me that shit as a kid. And, I'd hate it, and ask for another box. Damn you Zelda.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    shryke wrote: »

I feel the same way

picture-1.png

halo3-mountaindew.jpg

halo-3-mountain-dew.jpg

Absolutely!

I guess you don't remember the Mario 3 toys that McDonald's had. :roll:

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Rainbow Six avatar you mean!

Also, to the defensive guy, don't confuse genuine criticism with 'bashing'.

Halo is far, far FAR from perfect and the issues raised in this thread are legitimate.

If you think Halo is the best game ever made you need to play more games.

Opinions, opinions lol. It's certainly a very solid game. Better then Half Life or whatever Nintendo game G&T is jerking it too right now. Also Sanders has a good point, people here trip over themselves to talk about how much they hate Halo, it's not criticism rather straight up bashing. Pretty sure if it was any other game infractions would start to be handed out for that shit. It's come to symbolise everything your 'true' gamer who supports the wii not PS3 because it has gameplay man, and wears shirts with link on them and phrases like 'the cake is a lie' hate. A representation of mainstream modern gaming if you will.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man if you think Halo is better than Half Life you're on drugs.
    See? I can do it too

Einhander on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    No. Halo gets a lot of criticism because it gets even more undue love. I'm not saying it didn't deserve to sell 10 million but there are plenty of better games out there more deserving.

And yet Halo gets a free ride and excuse from criticism because 'olol halo bashing'

Well no. Fuck that. Halo and its sequels have many faults and don't just get to be ignored because Halo bashing is overdone. There is a reason it is overdone, because a lot of gamers see past the hype and want to remind people it isnt as good as they think.

I enjoyed Halo 3 immensely, I rated it high and still play it. But to pretend it is the best game ever is madness. Halo 1 is the best of the Halo games and the only one which can justify the status of the franchise.

Halo is not better than Half Life either.

And people dont trip over themselves to talk about how much they hate halo half as much as the people tripping over themselves to fellate what is a good but not great game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And people dont trip over themselves to talk about how much they hate halo half as much as the people tripping over themselves to fellate what is a good but not great game.

I really can't remember the last time someone talked about how amazing Halo is. Let alone more so then the number of people who talk shit about it. Also Halo is far better then Half Life, but then again Dakitana is better and was probably less overhyped.

Leitner on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    1) yes, it is Rainbow Six. You win points for getting that right.
    2) I never said Halo was the best game ever. I was pointing out that a lot of the needless bashing for the game is considered acceptable here but if it was any other game you would get laughed at and ridiculed. No, Halo is not the best game ever and yes, it has its faults. Half-life 2 is better single player IMO, though I do perfer Halo 3 thanks to online co-op. Doesn't excuse that the game is bashed at any chance it can when it really shouldn't be, such as in this thread.

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I really can't remember the last time someone talked about how amazing Halo is. Let alone more so then the number of people who talk shit about it. Also Halo is far better then Half Life, but then again Dakitana is better and was probably less overhyped.

So you're obviously saying crazy shit to get people to jump on you so you can try to prove a point, huh?

Touche`, sailor.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png