Options

New Comic - March 3rd 2008

• Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Defender wrote: »
    bongi wrote: »
    defender's wrong about the game too, it was good

Nah, in all seriousness, it was really, really bad. It looked like it was pushed out the door about 12 months early. The textures, 3D models, and animations were all really, really great. I want to give some credit for the tech, minus the pop-in and load times, but it's pretty vanilla Unreal 3, so that credit would mostly go to Epic, not Ubisoft, anyway. The problems with the game were pretty simple:

1) Combat sucked ass. Counter-attacking was ungodly powerful, and there was never a reason not to do it. There's also only one mission (the first assassination) where you can't use it, so basically every fight in the game is just "hold guard, press attack when they swing at you." That's boring as fuck, and there's no excuse for it, given that there's plenty of good combat available to study in new games (God Of War), last-generation games (Ninja Gaiden), and even games two generations back (Zelda 64).

2) The stuff you actually did in towns sucked ass. Aside from climbing and navigating towers, there was nothing to do; the town felt dead and sterile. Saving citizens was a chore, unchallenging but time-consuming (again, because of the shitty combat), and the reward was something I didn't even need and usually didn't ever use. Just the whole principle of getting a bureaucrat's permission to assassinate somebody takes away the coolness. Agent 47 gets his targets given to him in cutscenes, then the player goes and kills them. The ninja of the Azuma clan (Tenchu) get their targets in cutscenes, then the player goes and dispatches them. And I'm guessing that Sam Fisher doesn't have time to fuck around with red tape. Here, the assassin gets his target in a cutscene, then the player dicks around getting permission to kill him for 45 minutes, then spends 2-3 minutes actually shanking the guy.

The game just wasn't done. It needed to be streamlined, the combat needed to be rebalanced, and the city needed to feel more like GTA, where there's shit to do and different shops and stuff, instead of being sterile and repetitive.
    Gabriel wrote: »
    You have bad taste. My taste is rad. You are wrong about my taste.

wrong

wrong

DEFENDER: WRONG

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    also campion you are rad, tubular, and totally gnarly

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Defender, Assassins Creed doesnt use UE3. It's a proprietary engine made by Ubisoft.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    it was a "puppetmaster" defence, a classic, to be sure

It's not a "puppetmaster defense," you stupid faggot.

First off, there's nothing to defend. Gabe doesn't agree with me. Big fucking surprise, my initial post is explicitly disagreeing with his personal opinion. He didn't say anything other than "I don't agree," so there was no attack, thus there is no defense required, or even possible.

Second, I didn't say that I "tricked" or "trolled" him into doing that, so there's no "I made you do that; you are my puppet" element.

I know you desperately want to act like you know something, anything, about any topic. I know you want desperately to appear smart and clever. But you're a teenager, and while you apparently get good grades in school, and you spend lots of time throwing six-dollar words into your posts, you're just not that smart.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Pretty much I'm going to stick with "people can have opinions that aren't yours, unless that opinion is that starving is healthy."

What's interesting about this, Wiggin, is that you implicitly state that people are allowed to disagree with me unless it ALSO conflicts with what appears to be obvious and correct to you. Are you picking up where there might be irony in that?

Defender on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    six pound words, defender

god

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

First off, there's nothing to defend. Gabe doesn't agree with me. Big fucking surprise, my initial post is explicitly disagreeing with his personal opinion. He didn't say anything other than "I don't agree," so there was no attack, thus there is no defense required, or even possible.

Second, I didn't say that I "tricked" or "trolled" him into doing that, so there's no "I made you do that; you are my puppet" element.

I know you desperately want to act like you know something, anything, about any topic. I know you want desperately to appear smart and clever. But you're a teenager, and while you apparently get good grades in school, and you spend lots of time throwing six-dollar words into your posts, you're just not that smart.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=4703782#post4703782

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    it's definitely pointless to say this but

defender, you can't argue someone into not liking a game anymore

1) Who says I'm trying to?

2) Anymore? You mean there was a point when I (or others) could?

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    he is like a cornered, snarling dog

lashing out at everyone within range

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited March 2008
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    What I'm saying here is who gives a shit about whether or not somebody likes a game that you didn't.
    And then I decided to take a dig at Meiz and somehow I was being completely serious there or something, hell if I know.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Cum Hero wrote: »
    six pound words, defender

god

Oh shit. You got me! Damn. Well played.

Defender on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Campion wrote: »
    I actually haven't posted regularly in the AC for 2-3 years, that place is only for posting my projects and sometimes pointing things out, and also lurking.
    So yeah, I've just started lurking a bit more, it goes off and on.
    Hey Campion when is the finale for Adventure :o

It's taking a lot longer than I expected, and will end up being four pages. I'll be working on it today, and will likely finish. Likely.

You are all awesome too, thank you.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    RAWR DEFENDER SMASH

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Hey, Gabe.

Pretty much expected exactly that response

Yeah because I've posted here for years, so I know that I'm posting in the thread that he reads, and I know that if I say "Gabe was SO WRONG about X," he'll come in with a short response saying "nope, I was right."

Wow, yeah, I'm totally playing the puppetmaster! Jesus, I even made fun of myself parenthetically ("Is there a prize for that?") to indicate to smarmy little shits like you that that's not what I'm doing, you worthless, sniveling cunt.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SNARL GNASH RABBLE RABBLE DROOL SPITTLE GAHHHHH

defender is indiscriminately banging out posts attacking everyone who has posted recently

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You know I used the word cunt in a thread earlier today. It doesn't get used enough I feel.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ITT: people on the internet fight

Coming up after the break, surprising revelations about water and its relative wetness

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I predict that this thread will not be 8 pages.

Seriously on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Defender I think you should settle down a little bit

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Defender, Assassins Creed doesnt use UE3. It's a proprietary engine made by Ubisoft.

Sorry, I typed UE3 as a reflex. It was Unreal Engine 2.5.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    it's funny because defender cares a lot more than we do about this whole thing

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My Words:

Let me show you them.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Hey, Gabe.

Pretty much expected exactly that response

Yeah because I've posted here for years, so I know that I'm posting in the thread that he reads, and I know that if I say "Gabe was SO WRONG about X," he'll come in with a short response saying "nope, I was right."

Wow, yeah, I'm totally playing the puppetmaster! Jesus, I even made fun of myself parenthetically ("Is there a prize for that?") to indicate to smarmy little shits like you that that's not what I'm doing, you worthless, sniveling cunt.
    ;_; my feelings are crushed by your long post on an internet forum

it was a "you're taking the internet too seriously" (aka "internet: serious business" aka "haha i was joking the whole time") defense, a classic, to be sure

EDIT: Three sentences apparently makes a post "long" now.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Has anybody read the abridged/Bowlderized version of the Puppet Masters by Heinlein? I haven't and I wonder what they cut out of it. I suppose some of the nudity but there's precious little graphic sex in that book compared to many of his others.

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    that was the most terrible sentence I've had the displeasure of reading in a good while defender

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    defender you're wrong

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    buttguts

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    "internet: serious business" and "haha i was joing the whole time" aren't the same thing

how do you expect us to take you seriously when you can't even get that right

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Creed uses the Yeti engine which is heavily modified Unreal 2.5 tech.

I wouldnt say it was the cause for the texture pop in, Unreal Engine 3 shows that often but Ubisoft modified 2.5 enough so that it is more likely down to the LOD streaming they needed for the whole open world thing.
    Much in the same way the Half Life engine was built upon Quake tech.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    remember how in cartoons a lot of the time there will be a pair of stupid henchmen?

and how the slightly less stupid one will almost always yell at the other for being such a dimwit?

this is how I see Defender vs. The Far Side quote trees

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    but if they are henchpersons

who is the arch-criminal?

Richard M. Nixon on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Creed uses the Yeti engine which is heavily modified Unreal 2.5 tech.

I wouldnt say it was the cause for the texture pop in, Unreal Engine 3 shows that often but Ubisoft modified 2.5 enough so that it is more likely down to the LOD streaming they needed for the whole open world thing.
    Much in the same way the Half Life engine was built upon Quake tech.
    Does the Yeti engine have a scientifically computed Fun module? If not Defender will hate it.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hay guys what's going on in here?
    I heard someone was really really really wrong in here?

ascot on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    but if they are henchpersons

who is the arch-criminal?
    sup

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    that was the most terrible sentence I've had the displeasure of reading in a good while defender

"Three sentences" is a length. Like "seven feet is (the height) where people just assume you're in the NBA." Thus, it gets the singular.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    quick everybody dogpile on defender cause gabe posted

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Faricazy wrote: »
    "internet: serious business" and "haha i was joing the whole time" aren't the same thing

how do you expect us to take you seriously when you can't even get that right

They can be! Depends on context.

Defender on
This discussion has been closed.