Options

Let's Play : Secret of Mana - Episode 15 : Over 30GB Served this month!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Legend of Mana is all about the little things. It's a really easy game, but there is so much to explore and figure out.

Great music and art. Fairly fun combat.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I guess I forgot to mention that I always played Legend of Mana with my brother. It really enhances the experience, and getting to play as all the awesome side characters is great.

Freakle on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok I finished encoding ep2 and it's uploading now. In episode 3, I will get a character (my third character)... someone help me name this character. I never know what to name him.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What are the first two names?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Frosteey wrote: »
    What are the first two names?

Doc and Rachel (named after my wife, who will be doing multiplayer with me in the future)

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Remind me what the character limit is.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Edit: Ringo.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Assuming it's not five characters, I'll tentatively suggest Gazebo.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always go for 7-Up.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Call him Popo.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Call him Smally.

Edit: On second thought, 7-up's kinda clever too.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sparky.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    e-e-e-episode 2!

for you flash-only people, I am uploading everything to google video. It seems I could start encoding at a lower bitrate, too... 45 minutes of video is 300MB. Maybe a bit high for a LP, you guys tell me if the download times are too long or if you prefer the high quality.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey Doc, tell me the next area you're going to be going through in a PM or something and I can figure out what you need to do/get/whatever.

I'd suggest grinding out your spells off camera so you don't have to worry about that nonsense when we see it.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    High quality is fine, since it streams. Also, yey, you found the Magic Rope. I almost missed it myself.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awesome quality, audio levels -- a polished production all around! I look forward to following this avidly. :^:

Edit: streams beautifully for me, with no hitches, and looks gorgeous. I will murder anyone who causes him to switch formats.

gilrain on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For the record, Quicktime is bloated and my computer has trouble running the .mov off the site - the video freezes all over the place while the sound keeps on playing.

Downloading it and playing it through VLC yields satisfactory results, though.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I'm in the process of uploading all of my vids to Google Video as well as blip. Google for flash player goodness, blip for h264 + rss + podcast goodness.

Rumor has it, blip is starting to pull let's plays, so we'll see how long mine lasts. I sure will miss ftp uploading, that's for sure.

Anyway, see OP for links to Google video as I finish uploading. Ep1 is up on google vid, and I'm uploading 2 and 3 now.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Ok, episode 3 is up on blip:
    Rabiteman? BOO!

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The quality isn't quite as good -- did you change something? Still good, though. Watching through it now.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    gilrain wrote: »
    The quality isn't quite as good -- did you change something? Still good, though. Watching through it now.

Episode 1 was 1200kbps multipass (6 passes, I think?) and it took something obscene like 5 hours to encode. Episodes 2 and 3 are 850kbps single pass, and only took like 30 minutes each to encode. I'm sure there's a happy medium I can reach as the episodes progress.

OP updated with a new Secret of Mana image :D

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Those faerie walnuts restore MP right? I remember that I'd always get yelled at by my friends when I'd play as the Sprite and blow all my magic points right away against bosses, or against stupid things like rabites, and then complain that I couldn't nuke anymore. They told me to shut up because walnuts were expensive, so I ended up getting pretty handy with the axe.

Craigopogo on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd participate in or do an LP of SD3 myself in a heart beat if I didn't think it would be looked down upon for the obvious reasons.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Uh, I technically own a cartridge of SD3.

So, I think it should be fine.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Feels kinda weird to be on the other side of this, but...

A RIBBON DOC. GET A RIBBON FOR RACHEL.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pfft. She doesn't need it.

Although I gave the stupid sprite a bow and her a boomerang because they are far more useful as casters.

Set their AI to bottom left so they still attack but don't rush up and get thwacked.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Some random comments.

Only buy from Neko when you have to - his stuff costs twice as much as other stores. Which is fine if you're knee deep in a dungeon, but if you don't gotta buy stuff right now, don't. Also, I think Popo can use chain vests? See if you can give one to him, also a Power Wrist.

On my playthrough, I switched weapons constantly to keep everyone as close to max weapon skill as possible, but if you're not going to do that, a possible loadout is giving both Rachel and Popo ranged weapons, like Zen said.

Also, I think your voice was too quiet relative to game volume in the third episode. Could barely hear you at times.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pffft, Popo? My idea was better. You could have played off of the rivalry between Ringo and Doc Holiday, mang!

Player Tip
    I hope you haven't started playing yet. I highly recommend you go to Kippo for healing. There you can buy Rachel a Kung Foo Dress. You also need to equip Popo with a Spikey suit so take a short trip into Gaia's Naval.

You can grind in Gaia's Naval but it might not be a bad idea to grind right outside where left off in the last video. From the jail move directly north and find some enemies there. You can level up the short range weapons on the Eye Spies and Chobins. If you're in the right spot you can also kill the werewolves from a safe distance using your long range weapons. Eye Spies also drop Chocolates and werewolves drop cups of wishes. If you're lucky the werewolves might drop a kung fu dress as well.

Be sure that each character has a weapon that needs to be leveled up! Your supporting characters get a fraction of the weapon experience for every enemy Doc kills.

Other random musings:

Weapon Levels are based on how many times you have upgraded your weapon with orbs. For each upgrade you get at Watts, you can level up the weapon once. Weapon charging is useful for slow enemies and bosses but poor with any fast monsters. Do not charge your weapons for Spikey.

Magic Levels are dependent on how many seeds you have visited AND sealed. For every seed you seal you can gain one more level.

You don't find Pappa Goblins but you do find Ma Goblins. These are extremely annoying. They can spawn an infinite number of regular goblins and both types of goblins have powerful attacks. I suggest you run from them when you encounter them.

I'm sure you figured this out by now but the reason why you were getting 0 damage with the spear was because you were attacking too soon. You just need to make sure the meter reaches 100%. I find switching off characters annoying but if it works for you go for it.

Tonberry King on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Uh, I technically own a cartridge of SD3.

So, I think it should be fine.

The mods shut down an LP thread a couple days ago for bad juju. The author used the same argument as you are. He didn't have to say anything at all, but he did.

EDIT: Translated, English SD3 = cart doesn't even exist = bad juju. Untranslated SD3 = LPable.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oh man... Ringo. I didn't even catch that. It would give me an excuse to do my terrible Doc Holliday impression:

"Why Johnny Ringo. You look like somebody just walked right over your grave."

I did notice the volume in episode 3 being too loud on the game. I'll try and fix that then upload a new copy tomorrow. I'll definitely fix it for episode 4 (recording tonight!).

Thanks for the tips, Tonberry. I'm also getting help from Zen, so hopefully things go smoothly for me in the next few episodes as I brave the relatively unknown.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man, Legend of Mana goes for $Holycrap... I had no idea the thing was so rare. :S

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »
    Man, Legend of Mana goes for $Holycrap... I had no idea the thing was so rare. :S

I don't think it is, I think it's like FFVII where people are just willing to pay $Holycrap for it, even though there are plenty of them.
    I have two copies. I'm trying to track down a complete set, though

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

I don't think it is, I think it's like FFVII where people are just willing to pay $Holycrap for it, even though there are plenty of them.
    I have two copies. I'm trying to track down a complete set, though

Um... mind sending one my way there champ? ;)

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Audio fixed for episode 3 for both blip.tv and google video. Episode 4 coming soon!

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These LPs make me want to play this game more and more. The music in the bossfights is so epic. Actually, the whole game has an epic soundtrack.

Zuor on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aside from getting stuck in walls/bushes sometimes, the only other thing I hated about this game was the palette swapped bosses towards the end.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Defending my disappointment in Legend of Mana:

I think the art is fine and the music is wonderful. Hell, I bought the OST (Yoko Shimomura does great work in general).

What disappointed me the most was the game play. The combat was okay, but I didn't think the balance of combat to non-combat portions of the game was as good as in SoM. The main problem was absolutely retarded two-player support. I have to go to a TOWN to enable/disable a second player?!? Fucking terrible. Someone at Square should have been fired and executed for that. So player 2 has to manually follow me around while I'm doing all the boring "town and story" stuff. I couldn't get anyone to play the game with me for long because of this (and the aforementioned combat:non-combat ratio). Also, three players is better than two.

I had a hard time getting into the story since so much of it was driven by random side-quests that didn't tie into anything. I think the game could have been made better if it were linear, as I never got any enjoyment out of the non-linearity of it.

Sorry, but great art and music will not salvage a game that I don't find fun.

I'd say that covers enough.

Edit to be vaguely on topic:
    I always go for 7-Up.
    Brilliantly clever, but I don't think you could put numbers in SoM names, only capital A-Z.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    forty wrote: »

I always go for 7-Up.
    Brilliantly clever, but I don't think you could put numbers in SoM names, only capital A-Z.

Yeah, that was unfortunate D: I almost went with "uncola" but then I wouldn't be picking one of your choices. Can't you rename your characters in SoM? Seems some SNES RPG let you do that...

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    forty wrote: »

I always go for 7-Up.

Yeah, that was unfortunate D: I almost went with "uncola" but then I wouldn't be picking one of your choices. Can't you rename your characters in SoM? Seems some SNES RPG let you do that...
    Nope, no renames, sadly. There probably was some SNES game that let you, but I can't think of one. I know you could in Wild Arms with some expensive renaming item.

forty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    50px-Namingway_map_sprite.png

Frosteey on