As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flame on: Windows Vista

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Starting to see where all the Vista backlash comes from. I have a new error accompanying the dreaded blue screen, and it's happened three times today so far.

The error is: STOP 0x0000007E

Memory test detects no errors, and google searches only bring up this message with installing certain hardware. The only thing I installed today was a couple of Firefox add-ons, so I'm uncertain (and doubtful) that's what's causing it.

The important question right now is how to fix it, if anyone knows. I'd appreciate the help.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Doomulon wrote: »
    Really annoyed with Vista right now, hoping someone can help because all Google does is point me to forums with 6 month old posts.

Scenario: turning on PC for the first time of the day.

1: Computer boots.
    2: At the user login screen, I see image "tearing" and black bars cut through the screen. Lasts about a second, then it is fine. I continue to log in.
    3: Computer sits for about 10 - 30 minutes. Screen goes black, not responsive at all. I soft-reset.
    4: Repeat steps.
    5: Log back in. Will stay up for as long as I leave it on.

Any ideas? Far as I can tell, I have all certified drivers. Here's the system specs:

Asus Striker Extreme
    4GB (2 x 2GB) Memory
    2 x PNY Geforce 8800GT's in SLi configuration
    Soundblaster xFi Xtreme Gamer
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Another ting I've noticed too, is that in games where I get really high frame rates, my monitor goes beserk, and starts flickering purple/pink through the images. Going back to the destop alleviates the issue, but leaving v-sync on makes it not happen. I don't know if the two are related? The only other thing I can think of is... while the two cards are the same make and model, I see different BIOS versions on them. Would this cause an issue and if so, how would one correct it?
    Sounds like one of your vid cards is having issues? Do you know how to check event logs? I'd start there to see what direction the errors point.

I see that tearing effect all the time when I boot into Vista, but otherwise my system runs perfectly. Should I be worried about it, though?

What're your specs? I've been trying to work out what's been causing that for ages. At the login screen and when using the Basic theme I get the tearing thing, but when Aero's running all is well.

My primary specs are:

Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz
    4gb Corsair PC6400 RAM
    Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
    Asus P5N-E motherboard with the latest BIOS update for a memory compatibility fix

I see this tearing about 50% of the time or better, I think. I always run Aero unless it gets turned off by a game I set to do that for.

Doomulon on
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Starting to see where all the Vista backlash comes from. I have a new error accompanying the dreaded blue screen, and it's happened three times today so far.

The error is: STOP 0x0000007E

Memory test detects no errors, and google searches only bring up this message with installing certain hardware. The only thing I installed today was a couple of Firefox add-ons, so I'm uncertain (and doubtful) that's what's causing it.

The important question right now is how to fix it, if anyone knows. I'd appreciate the help.
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?query=stop+0x0000007e+vista&catalog=LCID%3D1033&spid=&mode=r&lsc=0

I'd look at your Event viewer (right click my computer > manage) to see if you have any more specific information... or look at error reporting in control panel to see if there's a solution. The specific information sent to Microsoft about errors like that isn't just an error code, so it may be something that can link you to a solution.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Really annoyed with Vista right now, hoping someone can help because all Google does is point me to forums with 6 month old posts.

Scenario: turning on PC for the first time of the day.

1: Computer boots.
    2: At the user login screen, I see image "tearing" and black bars cut through the screen. Lasts about a second, then it is fine. I continue to log in.
    3: Computer sits for about 10 - 30 minutes. Screen goes black, not responsive at all. I soft-reset.
    4: Repeat steps.
    5: Log back in. Will stay up for as long as I leave it on.

Any ideas? Far as I can tell, I have all certified drivers. Here's the system specs:

Asus Striker Extreme
    4GB (2 x 2GB) Memory
    2 x PNY Geforce 8800GT's in SLi configuration
    Soundblaster xFi Xtreme Gamer
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Another ting I've noticed too, is that in games where I get really high frame rates, my monitor goes beserk, and starts flickering purple/pink through the images. Going back to the destop alleviates the issue, but leaving v-sync on makes it not happen. I don't know if the two are related? The only other thing I can think of is... while the two cards are the same make and model, I see different BIOS versions on them. Would this cause an issue and if so, how would one correct it?
    Sounds like one of your vid cards is having issues? Do you know how to check event logs? I'd start there to see what direction the errors point.

I see that tearing effect all the time when I boot into Vista, but otherwise my system runs perfectly. Should I be worried about it, though?

What're your specs? I've been trying to work out what's been causing that for ages. At the login screen and when using the Basic theme I get the tearing thing, but when Aero's running all is well.

My primary specs are:

Core 2 Duo 2.9GHz
    4gb Corsair PC6400 RAM
    Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
    Asus P5N-E motherboard with the latest BIOS update for a memory compatibility fix

I see this tearing about 50% of the time or better, I think. I always run Aero unless it gets turned off by a game I set to do that for.
    Do you get it if you switch Aero off?

LaCabra on
  • smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SP1 was released today. Windows update picked it up and installed it on my laptop without a hitch.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do you get it if you switch Aero off?

I'll try that if I have the presence of mind some time soon.

Doomulon on
    edited March 2008
    I had to set compat mode to Win95 to play Planetside. Even Win98 compat crashed.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SP1 also includes updates that deal with two exploits we have seen, which can affect system stability for our customers.

• The OEM Bios exploit, which involves modifying system files and the BIOS of the motherboard to mimic a type of product activation performed on copies of Windows that are pre-installed by OEMs in the factory.
    • The Grace Timer exploit, which attempts to reset the “grace time” limit between installation and activation to something like the year 2099 in some cases.

Yeah, I am walking a fine line here on this comment, but I thought it was a notable change for SP1. I honestly though they would have patched it before now. Looks like MS was a bit slow on the uptake.

That_Guy on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That_Guy wrote: »
    SP1 also includes updates that deal with two exploits we have seen, which can affect system stability for our customers.

• The OEM Bios exploit, which involves modifying system files and the BIOS of the motherboard to mimic a type of product activation performed on copies of Windows that are pre-installed by OEMs in the factory.
    • The Grace Timer exploit, which attempts to reset the “grace time” limit between installation and activation to something like the year 2099 in some cases.

Yeah, I am walking a fine line here on this comment, but I thought it was a notable change for SP1. I honestly though they would have patched it before now. Looks like MS was a bit slow on the uptake.

No, it probably took some deep changes with a lot of testing and work with their OEM partners to enforce this more.

But, I purchase my software legally, so I wouldn't know how difficult it will be for other folks from here out.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

They actually released something that fixed the OEM BIOS hack late last month. Came out as labeled as an innocent "Update for Vista".

See here. Apparently SP1 really mostly is just a tarball of hotfixes already out. ;-)

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited March 2008

They actually released something that fixed the OEM BIOS hack late last month. Came out as labeled as an innocent "Update for Vista".

See here. Apparently SP1 really mostly is just a tarball of hotfixes already out. ;-)

Service Packs generally are. Most of the time they include all of the fixes, including some optional ones that aren't pushed through windows update (usually fixes seen as only important to a few users, or in very specific situations).

jonxp on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sp1 does a bit more than though. It updates DX10 to DX10.1, something about backwards compatibility. The transfer wizard now works a heck of a lot better. Boot ups are also much faster. But the main thing about Vista-SP1 is that it updates Vista's code base to Server 2008! That is a big plus for Vista & businesses.

Dark Shroud on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure whether I have the beta or RC of SP1, but I'm a bit wary of changing for the retail just because it works really well.

Rook on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    General rule of thumb is that you wait about a month before installing a service pack like this. Assuming you haven't heard a staccato cavalcade of explosions from early adopters in that time period, you ought to be safe.

From what I've heard they've sped up things like File transfers now (although if I'm honest, I can't say I noticed that being slow in the first place).

So yeah, I'm probably going to wait a bit and see. I'm actually fairly optimistic about SP1, but it's always better to wait and see with these things.

subedii on
  • FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SP1 installed on desktop, computer has not exploded.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SP1 has been my first real problem with Vista, and it's quite the pisser. Long [strike]story[/strike] rant to follow (spoilered because my grammar is shit and I'm frustrated):
    I try SP1 via Windows Update. It does it's thing within Vista while you're logged in. That goes just fine. Then it logs you off, and starts applying 3 updates. Step 1 goes just fine, step 2 goes just fine. At this point the computer reboots before applying step 3. Well when my machine reboots and Windows tries to come back up it crashes. Not a BSOD, just a straight up "Say hi to the BIOS for me" no-notification crash. So Windows tries to boot again, this time it manages to and applies step 3. When it finishes with that I am able to log into Windows. Once I get in though everything is slow as shit and my video drivers have been replaced with "something else". I get no Aero. "Ok," I think each time, "I'll just reboot." I reboot and the machine makes it to the blue-green "Logging off" screen and sits for as long as I'll let it. I let it go overnight yesterday after I'd tried other solutions. A hard reboot is the only way to get Windows to die at that point.

My next step was "fuck this applying via windows update, lets just reinstall Windows using the MSDN disc that's Vista w/ SP1". That install fails in a multitude of ways, in a multitude of different places. The first dialog where you select a language doesn't come up sometimes, so I just sit there at the blue-green screen with a mouse and nothing else. If I can get past that I'm almost guaranteed to lock up during the partition/hdd selection when clicking "Next" (or when I try to delete or create a partition). I have managed to create a blank NTFS partition with GParted and get to the part of the installer that actually starts to do stuff, but it locks up after the first step (Copying files, I think). It never moves on to "Expanding Files".

So after that fuck up, and as a last resort, I figured I'd give Server '08 a shot. I can just turn on the fancy Vista stuff when I need to, and shut off the unneeded services that come with a server. Nope. I get the exact same behavior as I get when using the Vista w/ SP1 disc.

Sorry for the horrendous grammar. This shit is driving me nuts. What I don't understand is why I can install from a couple of different Vista RTM discs I've got without a problem, but when I try Vista w/ SP1 or Server '08 shit gets wacky. I've verified the ISO's I'm getting have hashes that match what MS says they are, and I've verified each disc I've burned. Hell, the server 08 disc works for 2 VM machines. RAWR. :x

[edit] On a happier note, my work machine (Vista Business 32-bit) is happy as a clam with SP1. I've even noticed a couple of apps launching a little bit more quickly. This only adds to my frustration that my home machine won't take SP1.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A Service Pack installation or Windows Update usually fails when something was already messed up to begin with. I'd check your file system's integrity and make sure your RAM isn't on it's last legs.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I've determined that my motherboard is no good and I'm getting the exact same model sent to me so that I can swap it out. I read somewhere that with Vista, you don't have to reinstall the OS when you upgrade your mobo, which this is not but still similar. Can anyone confirm?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    So I've determined that my motherboard is no good and I'm getting the exact same model sent to me so that I can swap it out. I read somewhere that with Vista, you don't have to reinstall the OS when you upgrade your mobo, which this is not but still similar. Can anyone confirm?

Pretty much any of the windows you can just shove the hard drive in a new machine. You might get some driver conflicts, and you'll probably need to reactivate your copy and if you have an OEM version that means pleading with indians.

Rook on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cool, I was worried when I couldn't really dig up any info on it. I imagine there won't be any driver conflicts, as it's all the same equipment and the exact same type of mobo, but we'll see what happens.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone here use m4a files for music? I've been working on a properties handler for .m4a files so that their metadata shows up the same way mp3 files' tags do in Explorer and in the search index:

m4apropertiesgs2.jpg

It's currently read-only and is missing a few types of metadata (most importantly, song duration). It also only works on files that use the iTunes style of tagging -- I think Foobar and Nero do things differently, but Winamp does work. Right now it doesn't seem to actually be indexing the files, but I'm investigating that.

In the meantime though I'd really appreciate it if those with a large collection of m4a files tried it out. I only have a couple albums in the format, all ripped with one version of iTunes. Please let me know if you encounter Explorer crashes or crazy CPU usage or any other oddities. I've included an install and uninstall script. You need to run these from an elevated command prompt, or I don't think they'll work. There may also be issues if you try installing it from a user directory -- it should be somewhere accessible to all users, like a folder off the C:\ drive.

If you're interested, here it is!

ecchi on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I'm thinking that now that SP1 is out, that I'll upgrade my laptop to Vista. I hate using a new OS before some major patching is done, but Vista has been around for over a year now and I just am impatient and want to start using it.

Should I fresh-install or attempt an upgrade from XP Pro?

This is my work laptop and I have backup methods so if anything goes wrong I can come right back as if nothing ever happened to XP. So I'm not really worried about losing anything. I just didn't really want to go through the hassle of installing dozens of programs after Windows.

Anyone have experience or advice on this one?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So I'm thinking that now that SP1 is out, that I'll upgrade my laptop to Vista. I hate using a new OS before some major patching is done, but Vista has been around for over a year now and I just am impatient and want to start using it.

Should I fresh-install or attempt an upgrade from XP Pro?

This is my work laptop and I have backup methods so if anything goes wrong I can come right back as if nothing ever happened to XP. So I'm not really worried about losing anything. I just didn't really want to go through the hassle of installing dozens of programs after Windows.

Anyone have experience or advice on this one?

As long as you're not changing from 32-bit to 64-bit you might as well just upgrade.

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2008
    Just be sure you have plenty of extra space. A lot of stuff gets put into a Windows.old folder if I recall correctly.

FaceballMcDougal on
    edited March 2008
    Just be sure you have plenty of extra space. A lot of stuff gets put into a Windows.old folder if I recall correctly.

Good point. I have ~25GB free, fortunately, so that should be good. If this were a week ago, I had only ~1GB free. I can free up more if need be, I have 12GB of photos and 10GB of music on here I can always get back easily enough.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, I have finally have a piece of software that won't work under Vista 64. And, irony ahoy, its a Microsoft product.

Windows Mobile Device Center - Which I need to sync/connect to my new PDA phone. It installs (yet gives no prompts or any indication that it installed properly) and sets up a shortcut in my start menu and control panel. Trying to open it results in nothing at all occuring - As if I didnt even click it. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, all failures.

So I thought I'd go and try ActiveSync, which is the previous version of WMDC. Windows tell me it can't be installed under Vista - Great.

So now I'm left with with an OS that won't connect to my phone.

JohnDoe on
    edited March 2008
    Have you tried http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx Looks like they have a Vista64 version.

Rook on
    edited March 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    So, I have finally have a piece of software that won't work under Vista 64. And, irony ahoy, its a Microsoft product.

Windows Mobile Device Center - Which I need to sync/connect to my new PDA phone. It installs (yet gives no prompts or any indication that it installed properly) and sets up a shortcut in my start menu and control panel. Trying to open it results in nothing at all occuring - As if I didnt even click it. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, all failures.

So I thought I'd go and try ActiveSync, which is the previous version of WMDC. Windows tell me it can't be installed under Vista - Great.

So now I'm left with with an OS that won't connect to my phone.

It works fine for me, in fact I use it on a daily basis. I doubt it's the x64 as much as a generic error.

jonxp on
    edited March 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    Have you tried http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx Looks like they have a Vista64 version.

Yeah, thats where I got it from. I even tried the 32 bit version, no dice. It seems to install, but it won't even start up.

And Vista doesn't even recognize the phone itself when I connect it via USB. Its quite annoying.

JohnDoe on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    As for upgrading vs starting fresh, I would recommend starting fresh. I had a few issues after upgrading my XP install, such as Oblivion not running. Doing a clean format fixed this and a few other annoying issues.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yeah, thats where I got it from. I even tried the 32 bit version, no dice. It seems to install, but it won't even start up.

And Vista doesn't even recognize the phone itself when I connect it via USB. Its quite annoying.

If vista can't see the phone it wont start the program.

I only have 32 bit, but finally was able to get it recently installed and now that i do have it running I have to question microsofts direction on only allowing you to gain the download (though windows update for me) after it sees the device.

I mean it's unlike any other programming iv seen before, you have to rely on the OS to see it before it will give you the download link, It seems like a very backward function that they decided to add to this thing.

If you can manage to get windows to see it as you plug it in or pull it out, try firing up windows update, then putting it in then scaning for new updates right away. I had my PDA set to sleeping every 10 seconds and found i needed to keep it awake for windows update to find the install.

warban on
    ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    edited March 2008
    Ugh, Issues...
    I probably should have fresh-installed, but now it's like rolling dice if Explorer will work or not. Everything else works in the computer so long as it's independent of explorer. Firefox - fine. WoW - fine. Outlook/IE/Explorer - won't load.

Now to weigh my options:

Restore my image from before the upgrade
    Just wipe everything and install fresh
    Restore image - copy drive - wipe everything and install fresh

Decisions..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2008
    Grab what you can't install or download and install fresh

that sucks... I had a Vista install that I upgraded from XP (from digital download no less) since the first day of Vista and only a little while ago wiped it for WHS

FaceballMcDougal on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I've been running vista for a while now and it really hasn't been giving me any problems..

Until today when it decided that it wouldn't open the "Game Explorer" window. Actually it does but before it can really be drawn it seems to close. I tried right clicking on the tab that normally launches it but chosing the explore option from that just opens up my desktop directory while the other tabs seem to work when I do that.

Anyone have any ideas? Or barring that could someone use rightclick->explore and tell me what that does for them? I haven't had any luck googling for info about the Game Explorer so if anyone knows where this directory is supposed to reside that might be helpful too.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Can you open any other windows when that starts happening? I started having a glitch that showed up once in a while where no program could pop up a new window until I closed half of them.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2008
    Fresh install and everything is running wonderfully. Woot.

My two favorite things about Vista so far:
    Window preview on mouseover the taskbar
    It's pretty

:D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited March 2008
    warban wrote: »

If vista can't see the phone it wont start the program.

I only have 32 bit, but finally was able to get it recently installed and now that i do have it running I have to question microsofts direction on only allowing you to gain the download (though windows update for me) after it sees the device.

I mean it's unlike any other programming iv seen before, you have to rely on the OS to see it before it will give you the download link, It seems like a very backward function that they decided to add to this thing.

If you can manage to get windows to see it as you plug it in or pull it out, try firing up windows update, then putting it in then scaning for new updates right away. I had my PDA set to sleeping every 10 seconds and found i needed to keep it awake for windows update to find the install.

I gave this a try - It does result in a new item under Windows update, but it fails to install.

I think this might be an SP1 issue :/

JohnDoe on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Fresh install and everything is running wonderfully. Woot.

My two favorite things about Vista so far:
    Window preview on mouseover the taskbar
    It's pretty

:D

I can. But sometimes when I boot a window pops up and closes real fast. I think it might be the welcome to vista nonsense but I can open that manually so I don't know. After searching around I found a shortcut named Games or whatever and it points to my desktop. Also there is no Games folder in my Windows directory and I think there should be one there. Bah.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Games Explorer isn't actually a folder, it's a shell extension just like the control panel. You won't find it anywhere in the filesystem. I really wouldn't worry about it, it's really not very useful.

ecchi on
    edited March 2008
    the Games thing is really the dumbest part of Vista for me

Games for Windows is a disaster, at this point the magazine is the only thing holding that brand up and they have nothing to do with Microsoft

FaceballMcDougal on