Options

XBOX 360 - Does horizontal eff up discs???

2»

• Options
    DysonDyson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've had my Xbox horizontal since early 2006, and I have never had it give me a problem (that wasn't the game itself bugging out). No RROD, No Disc Read errors

Dyson on
    GSP+11.png
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Karenna wrote: »
    Putting it vertically doesn't block ALL the air...there are still intakes on the 'top' (HDD side), so the fan isn't going to change noticeably in sound.
    But the airflow to the CPU is drastically reduced due to the lack of good ventilation on the bottom half.

There's been several lab tests that proved that by standing the unit vertically, the exhaust temp rises by several degrees vice leaving it horizontally.

You can't argue with physics. It'll still bitch slap you with a RRoD.

I don't disagree, but I think it should be noted that even with the several degree rise in temp, the console SHOULD be able to take that heat. Poor design leads to RRoD. Mine was crashing all the time no matter which orientation I had it. That's the real issue here: the poor design can't tolerate the heat it generates. Of course that isn't the topic of the thread. Horizontal/vertical does not fuck up discs.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Karenna wrote: »
    Putting it vertically doesn't block ALL the air...there are still intakes on the 'top' (HDD side), so the fan isn't going to change noticeably in sound.
    But the airflow to the CPU is drastically reduced due to the lack of good ventilation on the bottom half.

There's been several lab tests that proved that by standing the unit vertically, the exhaust temp rises by several degrees vice leaving it horizontally.

You can't argue with physics. It'll still bitch slap you with a RRoD.

I don't disagree, but I think it should be noted that even with the several degree rise in temp, the console SHOULD be able to take that heat. Poor design leads to RRoD. Mine was crashing all the time no matter which orientation I had it. That's the real issue here: the poor design can't tolerate the heat it generates. Of course that isn't the topic of the thread. Horizontal/vertical does not fuck up discs.

While poor design may be responsible, any effort to avoid it is a worthy one. Having to send your console off is never fun.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My friend has been low riding his 360 for the year or so he's had it. No problems yet.

forty on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    reddog wrote: »
    I have mine horizontal just because I figure...if my DVD player, my CD player and in the past any portable CD player I had worked perfectly horizontal...why would I want to try something different? And from Karenna's post...it makes me feel I made the right decision.

Precisely my thinking, which is why I will never keep a console vertical. Call it on principle alone, I guess.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
This discussion has been closed.