Options

What does the [trans] in Trans[formers][sex] mean?

PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
More critical theory for the benefit of your intellectual masturbation!

What does the [trans] in transgender mean? Presumably it comes from the latin meaning "across" or "through" or "beyond." Is it a transitional period? Is it "beyond" (the most dominant sense in Western discourse of "trans"), in a sense that the person is "beyond" the societal gender assignment? How does this match up with sex? Is gender a social construct which is being transcended, while sex is a deterministic trait which is prior to societal existence? Can sex too be a social construct?

I think the issue is interesting because if you take a seemingly logical stance, it will often distance you from another stance that you wish to hold. For instance: if you hold that heterosexuality is forced on to us through society and that "femininity" is created through this forced binary difference, then you are distancing yourself from the widely held position that homosexuality is a biological determination.

This thread may get down into the nitty-gritty semantics of human sexuality, but let's start with the first question -
what does the "trans" in transgender or transsexual mean?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
9pr1GIh.jpg?1
Podly on

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I always figured it meant to Transform one's physical gender.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Transformers! More than meets the eye!

edit: lolreading

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Well, that's kind of a tricky one. Trans-form would mean that there is a substance in gender, which most transgender people would probably vehemently disagree with.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    It's a misnomer that stuck. That being said, I've usually understood it as a crossing between sexes, not a crossing beyond the scope of sex in general. From one sex, to a different sex -- that is transsexual. Sex reflects the set of organs one has, and in order to legally be identified as a transsexual one must have bottoms surgery [according to the law, though of course there are huge amounts of corrupt deviation from this because of issues beyond the scope of this thread].

'Transgender' is a much thornier word and like Podly says, taking any stance has such severe repercussions that the easily-accessible or seemingly "logical" stances are in reality very unsatisfying. So, I'm uh, actually not going to weigh in on that one until other people post.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Same as trans in transhuman.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    It's a misnomer that stuck. That being said, I've usually understood it as a crossing between sexes, not a crossing beyond the scope of sex in general. From one sex, to a different sex -- that is transsexual. Sex reflects the set of organs one has, and in order to legally be identified as a transsexual one must have bottoms surgery [according to the law, though of course there are huge amounts of corrupt deviation from this because of issues beyond the scope of this thread].

'Transgender' is a much thornier word and like Podly says, taking any stance has such severe repercussions that the easily-accessible or seemingly "logical" stances are in reality very unsatisfying. So, I'm uh, actually not going to weigh in on that one until other people post.

Oro, but what about hermaphrodites, etc? Are they excluded from the "male" "female" binary opposition of sex?

But that is probably a question for later. Let's stick to the first question for now.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Can't we just say that the our language itself is insufficient, and so the words are flawed, misdirected placeholders for a concept that's relatively easy to understand? This weems awfully wanktastic.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Well, that's kind of a tricky one. Trans-form would mean that there is a substance in gender, which most transgender people would probably vehemently disagree with.
    They would vehemently disagree with you intellectually, but the identity of a vast population of transgender individuals is as a caricaturization of the gender that they transitioned into ... it's only a small disconnect. When you look at how they reject people like me (a transtomboy, in a world of transprincesses), you have to wonder just how much thought they've put into their dismissal of the concept.

To draw an interesting analogue, the vast majority of college-age pro-choice LGBT people I have met also opposed the option of aborting babies simply because they were [in the hypothetical] destined to be LGBT -- logically, that's bollocks, but they're too rolled up in the culture to notice or care.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Can't we just say that the our language itself is insufficient, and so the words are flawed, misdirected placeholders for a concept that's relatively easy to understand? This weems awfully wanktastic.
    Podly actually hints in his OP why this is a very important issue. Transpeople are caught in a dilemma whereupon receipt of social benefits relies on their condition being utterly and eminently biological in nature; at the same time, the manifestation of their persona follows to a 'T' cultural lines that they will later refute if you ask them, "So girls are biologically programmed to wear dresses?"

It's an incredibly difficult space to navigate, really, and I'm not in my best intellectual sorts right now so I can't give you the whole breakdown in logical rhetoric but rest assured that it's a doozy. :e

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    To say nothing of the fact that I can see this inflaming the sensibilities of some people for no other reason than wanktasticating.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Podly actually hints in his OP why this is a very important issue. Transpeople are caught in a dilemma whereupon receipt of social benefits relies on their condition being utterly and eminently biological in nature; at the same time, the manifestation of their persona follows to a 'T' cultural lines that they will later refute if you ask them, "So girls are biologically programmed to wear dresses?"

It's an incredibly difficult space to navigate, really, and I'm not in my best intellectual sorts right now so I can't give you the whole breakdown in logical rhetoric but rest assured that it's a doozy. :e

This seems to be a much more fruitful discussion than the etymology. I mean, if we begin with the assumption that language is imperfect, this seems like a non-issue to me, but the problem that you bring up seems to be much more intellectually stimulating.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    They're the same questions, Podly just has an interesting way of framing them. ;)

He's asking people to make the investigation of etymology that inevitably leads to the dilemmas and issues that I speak about.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I admit that I skimmed the OP because I was distracted by a "but why does it actually matter?" thought after reading the title.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Language is not perfect or imperfect. Language is. We do not have access to a noumenal realm which we simply cannot articulate due to the limitations of language; rather, language IS about what we can think, language is the structure of our thoughts and that which we can come to know.

This is an assumption made in my op, and a rather standard assumption to make. If we can agree that someone can be transgender, in that transgender is an identity unto which someone can ascribe themselves or have described unto them, then transgender is a phenomenon which exists, and its existence creates antimonies among logical positions, like the gender / homosexuality problem which I meantioned in the OP.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Language is not perfect or imperfect. Language is. We do not have access to a noumenal realm which we simply cannot articulate due to the limitations of language; rather, language IS about what we can think, language is the structure of our thoughts and that which we can come to know.

I'm a philosophical lightweight, but this makes it sound like people were incapable of understanding or thought before language or communication, and that language and cognizance go hand-in-hand. I don't know if I agree with that or not. But then again, I remember the whole Helen Keller thing, and I know that language gives us the structure of thought, but I also think that language and communication seems to necessarily come after human awareness. I don't know. I guess what I'm saying is I want you to keep going. Wank until you're sore.
    This is an assumption made in my op, and a rather standard assumption to make. If we can agree that someone can be transgender, in that transgender is an identity unto which someone can ascribe themselves or have described unto them, then transgender is a phenomenon which exists, and its existence creates antimonies among logical positions, like the gender / homosexuality problem which I meantioned in the OP.

The idea that the concept of sexuality gives us the gender dichotomy doesn't seem logical to me at all. It seems more logical to say that heterosexuality is a part of the idea of masculinity, so what kinds of problems would that cause? I don't know because, again, I'm a philosophical lightweight, and all I really know on this subject is that I've read and largely agree with Noam Chomsky.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It seems more logical to say that heterosexuality is a part of the idea of masculinity, so what kinds of problems would that cause?

If I correctly understand what you are saying, then to be heterosexual means to be a man and probably a male. It strips women / females of sexual agency. I.E., females are not heterosexuals, but spaces of sexual pleasure for the heterosexual male.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It seems more logical to say that heterosexuality is a part of the idea of masculinity, so what kinds of problems would that cause?

If I correctly understand what you are saying, then to be heterosexual means to be a man and probably a male. It strips women / females of sexual agency. I.E., females are not heterosexuals, but spaces of sexual pleasure for the heterosexual male.

How does our society look at bisexual women? How does our society look at bisexual men? Alternatively, women shouldn't enjoy sex.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

This is an assumption made in my op, and a rather standard assumption to make.

Thought is more than just subvocalized speech, so I don't see how you can say that language is the structure of our thoughts and that which we can come to know. At the very least, it doesn't seem like an unproblematic assumption.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

How does our society look at bisexual women? How does our society look at bisexual men?

Good point. Freud thought that bisexuality was the default position, as did Levi-Strauss. This assumes that we are forced into heterosexuality. But let's look at deviants (in a non-punitive mode) and transgressers: is a gay man a bisexual person who only chooses a man? Why would he only choose men? Is he limiting himself in his sexual expression? Is he himself forcing arbitrary limits to his sexuality? Is then homosexuality not genetic? Is a transgender person who, though "naturally" a female, in becoming a man who is still attracted to and only to women bisexual, homosexual or heterosexual.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MrMister wrote: »

Thought is more than just subvocalized speech, so I don't see how you can say that language is the structure of our thoughts and that which we can come to know. At the very least, it doesn't seem like an unproblematic assumption.

But is thought ever not linguistic?

Though again this is pretty OT and perhaps subject to a thread at a later day.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is then homosexuality not genetic?

There's a false dichotomy between choice and genetics. Some things are neither genetic nor chosen: for instance, a love of figs most likely has no genetic basis, but that doesn't mean that a fig lover woke up one morning and decided "from now on, I'm going to love figs!"

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

There's a false dichotomy between choice and genetics. Some things are neither genetic nor chosen: for instance, a love of figs most likely has no genetic basis, but that doesn't mean that a fig lover woke up one morning and decided "from now on, I'm going to love figs!"

Oh, nice catch. So would you say that some homosexuals are genetically based, while some base on choice?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh, nice catch. So would you say that some homosexuals are genetically based, while some base on choice?

You don't get it. MrMister is pointing out that homosexuality may (and almost certainly is) the result of some factor other than genetics that is nevertheless unchosen. Say, for instance, the hormonal environment in utero. The false dichotomy is the notion that either something is chosen or it is genetic, when in reality there are a wide variety of things one does not choose about oneself that do not derive from genetics.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Homosexuality may be developmental, it may be cultural, it may be genetic, and it may even involve some aspect of choice. It could even involve all those factors at once. I don't really know enough about the subject to tell, and from what I understand the question is still beyond our ability to conclusively answer. However, I don't think that the answer, whatever it may be, bears on public policy: even if it is a choice, the option of choosing same sex partners is harmless to those around us and part of our basic liberty.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

How does our society look at bisexual women? How does our society look at bisexual men?

Good point. Freud thought that bisexuality was the default position, as did Levi-Strauss. This assumes that we are forced into heterosexuality. But let's look at deviants (in a non-punitive mode) and transgressers: is a gay man a bisexual person who only chooses a man? Why would he only choose men? Is he limiting himself in his sexual expression? Is he himself forcing arbitrary limits to his sexuality? Is then homosexuality not genetic? Is a transgender person who, though "naturally" a female, in becoming a man who is still attracted to and only to women bisexual, homosexual or heterosexual.

I thought that it generally worked the other way? That is to say that when a transgendered person is reassigned they usually retain their orientation, homo or hetero, except that now they are attracted to the different sex.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sexual orientation and gender identity are distinct. My friend's mom was born a woman, but now is undergoing hormone therapy with the eventual goal of undergoing gender reassignment surgery and becoming a man. She likes men, and people--especially her gay friends--constantly ask her why she is undergoing this costly and emotionally rocky process when she, as a woman, can attract men far more easily than she would be able to as a female-to-male transsexual. Her response is simply that she identifies as a gay man, not a woman, and wants to experience having sex with a man as a man. So it is very important not to conflate homosexuality with transsexuality, not even a little bit.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hachface wrote: »

You don't get it. MrMister is pointing out that homosexuality may (and almost certainly is) the result of some factor other than genetics that is nevertheless unchosen. Say, for instance, the hormonal environment in utero. The false dichotomy is the notion that either something is chosen or it is genetic, when in reality there are a wide variety of things one does not choose about oneself that do not derive from genetics.

I remember reading something in my marriage and family class about how rates of homosexuality skyrocketed in East Berlin after WWII. The theory was that the stress from the rape+pillage job the Russians pulled resulted in prenatal hormonal environments that helped foster homosexuality over heterosexuality.

The study was done something like 40 years after the fact, so who knows, but it's an interesting theory.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Homosexuality may be developmental, it may be cultural, it may be genetic, and it may even involve some aspect of choice. It could even involve all those factors at once. I don't really know enough about the subject to tell, and from what I understand the question is still beyond our ability to conclusively answer. However, I don't think that the answer, whatever it may be, bears on public policy: even if it is a choice, the option of choosing same sex partners is harmless to those around us and part of our basic liberty.

Limed.

This doesn't get said often enough.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This thread may get down into the nitty-gritty semantics of human sexuality, but let's start with the first question -
    what does the "trans" in transgender or transsexual mean?

It originally was used in the sense of "across." If you wanted to live across genders - that is, in a gender other than your biological sex - you were labeled "transgender" or "transsexual."

Personally, I think the term works, partially because of the adoption of the opposite term, cisgendered. If you study organic chemistry, you encounter carbon chains that look like the letter Z - those are trans-chains (the ends point in opposite directions). Some carbon chains look like the letter C - those are cis-chains (the ends point in the same direction). It's an analogy that works in my mind - for cisgendered people, there's little conflict between the way other people see you and the way you see yourself. The 'ends' point in the same direction.
    Oro, but what about hermaphrodites, etc? Are they excluded from the "male" "female" binary opposition of sex?

We'd call those people "intersexed" rather than "transgendered." They're not excluded from the "binary opposition of sex," as long as we collectively acknowledge that the binary opposition represents two ends of a spectrum rather than two discrete categories.

Transgendered people may be, but are not necessarily, intersexed, and vice versa.
    Hachface wrote:
    Sexual orientation and gender identity are distinct.

Distinct concepts, but not entirely distinct in reality. See below.
    I thought that it generally worked the other way? That is to say that when a transgendered person is reassigned they usually retain their orientation, homo or hetero, except that now they are attracted to the different sex.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

There have been cases of transgendered people whose sexual orientation remained constant across genders. While living as a man, they were attracted to men. While living as a woman, they were attracted to women. There's every possibility that of sexual orientation is not merely whether you're attracted to [men|women], but also whether you're attracted to [self|other].

But this does not happen in every case, and I don't know whether it happens in a majority of cases, but from personal experience I suspect not.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sex and gender are not synonymous. One can be a lesbian transgender or a straight transgender or a gay transgender or a bisexual transgender and so on.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Good point. Freud thought that bisexuality was the default position, as did Levi-Strauss. This assumes that we are forced into heterosexuality. But let's look at deviants (in a non-punitive mode) and transgressers: is a gay man a bisexual person who only chooses a man? Why would he only choose men? Is he limiting himself in his sexual expression? Is he himself forcing arbitrary limits to his sexuality?

I would argue that there is a biological (genetic and/or influenced by natal hormonal exposure) tendency towards a given sexual preference, but cultural forces impel us to make a binary choice. There is a plethora of historical examples of individuals who took partners of both genders relatively indiscriminately and cultures where such behavior was the norm. However, it hasn't been that long in the modern west since bisexuality - especially male bisexuality - was frowned upon by both heterosexuals and homosexuals.

The myth that gay people have generated in order to be accepted into the mainstream culture is that their love for the same gender is analogous to and a mirror image of mainstream heterosexual love for the opposite gender. On reason might be that this is a far more convenient myth for a sexually repressed culture than "love whoever you want to love, fuck whoever you want to fuck, and make babies if you want, and if you get to do all three with the same person, go you!" A second reason might be that the people who most direly needed to break out of the heterosexual straightjacket were the strong homosexuals - people who were largely bisexual were doing just fine living a straight life and maybe occasionally having secret or not-so-secret gay trysts on the side.

So those of us whose sexuality defies categorization (and by 'us' I mean that I identify with this motley group personally) find ourselves without any convenient labels to hide behind.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I remember reading something in my marriage and family class about how rates of homosexuality skyrocketed in East Berlin after WWII. The theory was that the stress from the rape+pillage job the Russians pulled resulted in prenatal hormonal environments that helped foster homosexuality over heterosexuality.

Wouldn't that have more to do with the removal of a regime that shipped gay people off to concentration camps?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yes, stop drinking the pomo kool-aid. You cannot seriously entertain this question unless you seriously shut off your think-parts.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Yes.

Some people don't think in language. (I don't, most of the time.)
    And if you don't believe me, read Animals in Translation.

Feral on

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Feral wrote: »

Yes.

Man I thought the behaviorist approach to language went out of vogue like 30 seconds after it got proposed.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yes.

Man I thought the behaviorist approach to language went out of vogue like 30 seconds after it got proposed.

I dunno if I'd call the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis behaviorist per se, as it is concerned with internal states (thoughts and cognitions) that pure behaviorism is not generally concerned with. But yeah, in its purest form it's gone out of vogue though some people still hold it to be partially true.

And I'm sure it is partially true, that language influences schemas, but if schemas and cognitions did not exist in an realm outside of language then it would be impossible for language to meaningfully evolve.

Feral on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    We'd call those people "intersexed" rather than "transgendered." They're not excluded from the "binary opposition of sex," as long as we collectively acknowledge that the binary opposition represents two ends of a spectrum rather than two discrete categories.

So then is sex as well a social construct?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008

So then is sex as well a social construct?

Nothing in my statement is relevant to whether or not sex is a social construct.

That said, the stock answer is that gender is a social construct while sex is a biological characteristic.

However, how we think of biological-sex is so steeped in cultural framework that I would not argue against the statement that sex is largely a social construct (with biological underpinnings). For instance, we don't typically think of XY individuals who are anatomically female due to androgen insensitivity syndrome as a distinct sex from XX anatomical females, even though by the strictest definition of 'sex' they really would be. However, I would argue against a statement that sex is entirely a social construct, because that's patently and obviously false.

Feral on

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yes.

I dunno if I'd call the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis behaviorist per se, as it is concerned with internal states (thoughts and cognitions) that pure behaviorism is not generally concerned with. But yeah, in its purest form it's gone out of vogue though some people still hold it to be partially true.

And I'm sure it is partially true, that language influences schemas, but if schemas and cognitions did not exist in an realm outside of language then it would be impossible for language to meaningfully evolve.

While I agree that the no-thought-without-language nonsense is not behaviourist, I wouldn't equate it with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis either. S-W contends that language influences our understand of the world to such an extent that the understandings of the world are incommensurable.

OTOH the no thought without language thing is a separate issue. Donald Davidson, for example, contended that animals cannot think as they do not have lanuage - exactly what he thought animals did do is beyond me. Pomo's and acolytes of Derrida and so forth hold that language is the ultimate basis of reality or some nonsense, and I'm not convinced that they're capable of thought let alone academic rigour.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    While I agree that the no-thought-without-language nonsense is not behaviourist, I wouldn't equate it with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis either. S-W contends that language influences our understand of the world to such an extent that the understandings of the world are incommensurable.

OTOH the no thought without language thing is a separate issue. Donald Davidson, for example, contended that animals cannot think as they do not have lanuage - exactly what he thought animals did do is beyond me. Pomo's and acolytes of Derrida and so forth hold that language is the ultimate basis of reality or some nonsense, and I'm not convinced that they're capable of thought let alone academic rigour.

Okay, fair enough.

It's all bollocks anyway.

Feral on