Options

Olympic/Sport and Politics

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Medopine wrote: »
    Serpent wrote: »

In addition, the underlying wish that nations set aside politics is great, but when setting aside those politics result in the tacit approval of human rights violations, that isn't really setting aside politics at all.

Uh could you explain this?

Still waiting. How is agreeing to let athletes compete on a world stage a tacit approval of human rights violations?

Medopine on
  • Options
    SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

In addition, the underlying wish that nations set aside politics is great, but when setting aside those politics result in the tacit approval of human rights violations, that isn't really setting aside politics at all.

Uh could you explain this?

Still waiting. How is agreeing to let athletes compete on a world stage a tacit approval of human rights violations?

There's a decent argument for it in a spoilered section on page 2. I could come up with a more succinct but similiar argument as well.

Serpent on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Okay, so the object is to get attention more than getting China to change directly.

Look around. Attention is being gotten in spades now, and nobody is boycotting a damn thing. I've seen Olympic protest stories in the media pretty much ever since the torch got lit in Olympia. I've already seen more protests in the opening few days of this relay than I've seen in any previous relay period. You let the relay play out like this and you'll have all the attention you want.

Is someone actually arguing for a boycott?

I mean, I gave my opinion last page:
    A boycott, on the other hand, is pointless and stupid. Just TALKING about the boycott accomplishes as much as a boycott ever would.
    Talk to Serpent.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    No, I meant it'd be too easy for the general public to ignore the arm bands. China is gonna ignore anything we do. The reason the protests are any good is because they actually get the publics attention. Arm Bands or shit like that are easily overlooked and ignored.
    Actually I'd say that omnipresent armbands at the various events and medalling ceremonies over the course of the games would be more likely to get attention than the protests. These are flashes in the pan that'll be out of the news in 2 cycles. Less than that if something important happens. People constantly seeing it would at least get as much 'the black armband represents support for a free Tibet' mention as the news coverage of the protests.
    Agreed. China really does not want to be embarrassed in August - and this is exactly something that would embarrass the government. A lot.

Now, whether it would be right to embarrass China to such a degree is another matter altogether.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Now, whether it would be right to embarrass China to such a degree is another matter altogether.

What do you mean by that? I can't see anything wrong with it. Unless you're talking about potential repercussions because China is pissed off. In which case it would just be essential to get as many athletes from as many countries as possible to join in. The more countries that are involved the less China is able to throw its weight around if it gets all pissy.

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    What do you mean by that? I can't see anything wrong with it. Unless you're talking about potential repercussions because China is pissed off. In which case it would just be essential to get as many athletes from as many countries as possible to join in. The more countries that are involved the less China is able to throw its weight around if it gets all pissy.
    Pissing them off is one thing. Alienating them and making rapprochement and dialogue difficult another. However, I do also think that some of the antagonism has its origins in racism and trade-issues (like I mentioned on the first page).

I'm more trying to separate the Chinese people from their government, and I feel that they ought to be spared the embarrassment. The developing world, and the world outside of North America and Europe has been historically excluded from playing host to the games. Suddenly, when China finally has its opportunity it is placed under much more scrutiny than other hosts have been.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I there's precedent to not boycotting the games. The oldest precedent would be that the ancient Olympics were only canceled when a war with a major third party made attendance impossible. Besides this, all parties would show up even if at war. They even let Sparta attend, and they were nuts!
    In modern times, the best precedent would be Russia showing up for the 1980 Winter Olympics despite the fact that we had until shortly before been supporting the Shah, a regime so despicable that the Iranian Revolution was seen as an improvement.

And why isn't anybody complaining about Xinjiang yet? If I was a middle-easterner, I'd be yelling wtf to high heaven (yes, god communicates by email and text-message, what's your point?).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ultimately, the only way to motivate is money (well, there's violence, but mostly because violence is expensive.)

Education doesn't work, because the people who care about knowledge already have it, and those who have it but aren't acting to keep the money away just don't care, and are unlikely to change their opinion until someone like Oprah gets pissy about it and gives them their opinion and actually keeps it up, which they probably won't, because of money.

The protesters, I expect, are hoping that their protests will hinder money flow in some way, presuming they have even a clue on what works in the real world.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, they seem to be spending a bit trying to deal with brits with fire extinguishers.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    edit: Weren't there a bunch of athletes who came out in support of the protests and boycotts and whatnot? Those guys seem to have a certain set of priorities that differs from what you are suggesting. I'm not sure if these are mythical athletes i'm inventing in my head though. I was able to find an article about German athletes 'considering' it.
    If the athletes themselves wish to boycott, that's completely different. In the end, it is their dream at risk here, and I think they should make the call. If they wish to stay home, that is their decision. I just don't think that decision should be made for them.

Agree.

And why are we assuming that the athletes can't find their own form of protest against injustice in the Games themselves?

blackpower.jpg

^ A much more powerful image than if black athletes had boycotted the US Olympic team.

This is what I'm expecting to happen.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Well, they seem to be spending a bit trying to deal with brits with fire extinguishers.
    Ok I've given this one some thought and I find this type of protest to be pretty damn repulsive. There's protesting China, but that seems more like it's protesting the concept of the Olympics. That seems like it means something quite different - I mean - wars go on truces for the olympic games. It may not be a permanent peace, but that people stop fighting seems pretty damn significant.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arm bands would be a pretty bitchin' way actually. Especially if there were enough of them that they were near omnipresent on the winner's stand. Pictures of every trio of winners consisting of the world champions wearing armbands declaring China's government a bunch of rights violating jackasses would get the message across rather well.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, in this morning's news it's possible the torch might not even make it through San Diego since apparently protestors are already prestaging to include a massive flag that they managed to get draped across a bridge there. Should that happen then it's likely the world tour will be canceled altogether according to CNN.

Edit: Specifically the goldengate bridge at it's actually kind of impressive if you can find video of it.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Also, in this morning's news it's possible the torch might not even make it through San Diego since apparently protestors are already prestaging to include a massive flag that they managed to get draped across a bridge there. Should that happen then it's likely the world tour will be canceled altogether according to CNN.

Edit: Specifically the goldengate bridge at it's actually kind of impressive if you can find video of it.

I don't see how blowing out the torch is a good form of protest, at all.

Holding out a sign as the torch goes by so you get your message on TV seems acceptable. Why attack the torch itself?

Medopine on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Holding out a sign as the torch goes by so you get your message on TV seems acceptable. Why attack the torch itself?

Signs are really easy to ignore.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

But attacking the torch bearer and stopping the world tour of the torch, a longstanding tradition with no real political import other than "hey all these countries worked together!" is more productive?

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

But attacking the torch bearer and stopping the world tour of the torch, a longstanding tradition with no real political import other than "hey all these countries worked together!" is more productive?

It's not ignorable. So, yes, it is productive, if your goal is to get attention.

shryke on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Not if you're running with them along with the torch bearer.

...and if they're on fire.

moniker on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, the protests have succeeded in one thing: ensuring London probably won't get to have an international relay.

Though Jacques Rogge has been compelled to speak up:
    Jacques Rogge, the IOC's president, took the unusual step of publicly questioning Chinese policy in Tibet when he addressed Olympic delegates in Beijing. "I am very concerned with the international situation and what is happening," he said. "The torch relay has been targeted. The IOC has expressed its serious concern and calls for a rapid peaceful resolution in Tibet." At a press conference in Beijing torch relay organisers condemned the actions of what it described as a "small number of pro-Tibet independence activists" and said local people in London "strongly condemned the attempt to sabotage the torch relay".

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And dammit, we won't get to find out what other crazy shenanigans Americans would have pulled had the torch made it here. This was turning out to be one of the more entertaining Olympic games.

torch-big1.jpg

We got at least one good picture out of it though.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Arm bands would be a pretty bitchin' way actually. Especially if there were enough of them that they were near omnipresent on the winner's stand. Pictures of every trio of winners consisting of the world champions wearing armbands declaring China's government a bunch of rights violating jackasses would get the message across rather well.
    Just heard on ESPN what the procedure there would be:

You can't wear buttons or armbands or any of that stuff; just your uni. But, if you are asked your opinion on Tibet or whatever other topic by a reporter or anyone else, be it before or after your event, it's open season. So, while you're actually on the field competing or accepting a medal, check it at the door, but once someone shoves a microphone in your face after you've just won and are still catching your breath, feel free to unload.

If I'm a sideline reporter, I know how I'm spending MY Olympics. (And it gives us a powerful incentive to go compete: the more protesting nations win, the more reporters surround those athletes, and the more protesting national delegations get to verbally emasculate China in front of a captive audience. What's China going to do, cut NBC's mike?)

Gosling on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i wonder if china will bring down their massive censoring internet firewall around shanghai for the olympics or will journalists have to bring satellite internet capabilities

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Uugh... I hope China razes Tibet to the ground just to spite all these protestors.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think it would be hilarious if the authorities were all concentrating on the European and American athletes, and the Algerian team came out of left field and started yelling about Xinjiang.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    Uugh... I hope China razes Tibet to the ground just to spite all these protestors.

what?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Political protest at the Olympics? We'll have none of that, good sirs.

anonymous-black-power-mexico-city-olympics-1968-9949975.jpg

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    edited April 2008

They were kicked out and (I think) stripped of their medals.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008

Such a beautiful image.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    HembotHembot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Æthelred wrote: »

Meaning the white man (second place) wins again! Yeah baby!

j/k

Hembot on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hembot wrote: »
    Meaning the white man (second place) wins again! Yeah baby!
    Nah, they kept their medals - they were just kicked out of the Olympic village.

Interestingly enough, the Australian was in on it too and wore a button for the same group that advocated either a boycott or acts of protest by black athletes. He caught lots of shit when he went home, though not nearly as bad as Carlos and Smith did.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    What happened there?

shryke on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

See, this shit right here is why America fails.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shryke: you mean in Australia? He basically was shunned by the national track team and never got to compete again. Carlos and Smith were attacked from all sides and faced more than a few death threats.
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    See, this shit right here is why America fails.
    Meh, go easy on 'em.

ArcticXC just sounds your typical insecure 15-16 year old kid. Someone completely unfamiliar with the world who has been led to believe that misanthropy is just way cool. They'll (probably) grow out of it.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    mobiusptcmobiusptc Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    kinda hard to do passive protests with armbands when the chinese have these guys

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jHpaflNEZpBBT4fArcZK_OGCxV8QD8VU2T280

They wear bright blue tracksuits and Beijing Olympic organizers call them "flame attendants." But a military bearing hints at their true pedigree: paramilitary police sent by Beijing to guard the Olympic flame during its journey around the world.
    Yolaine De La Bigne, a French environmental journalist who was a torchbearer in Paris, told The Associated Press she tried to wear a headband with a Tibetan flag, but the Chinese agents ripped it away from her.

mobiusptc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Shryke: you mean in Australia? He basically was shunned by the national track team and never got to compete again. Carlos and Smith were attacked from all sides and faced more than a few death threats.

No, I mean what'd they do to "deserve" the attacks.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

what you see them doing in the picture

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    mobiusptc wrote: »
    kinda hard to do passive protests with armbands when the chinese have these guys

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jHpaflNEZpBBT4fArcZK_OGCxV8QD8VU2T280

They wear bright blue tracksuits and Beijing Olympic organizers call them "flame attendants." But a military bearing hints at their true pedigree: paramilitary police sent by Beijing to guard the Olympic flame during its journey around the world.
    Yolaine De La Bigne, a French environmental journalist who was a torchbearer in Paris, told The Associated Press she tried to wear a headband with a Tibetan flag, but the Chinese agents ripped it away from her.

yowza

i found this bit interesting though, learn something new every day

"The Olympic flame wasn't part of the ancient games, and the torch relay didn't become a fixture in the modern Olympics until the 1936 Berlin Games, when it was part of the Nazi pageantry that promoted Hitler's beliefs of Aryan supremacy in the world of sports."

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Holding up your hand is bad now?

shryke on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I don't know, my brother expressed the same sentiments a night ago "man just look at what the fuck the Tibetans have been doing". Media reporting on the plight of Tibet has been sparse enough that I'm having to explain the fairly long history of culture bombing China has been doing to Tibet and hence why they've pretty much gone nuts now because they probably won't get another chance when it'll make the slightest difference (alternatively China would otherwise take the gloves off and we'd probably never hear about it).

EDIT: That said, could someone point me at a resource that explains why the fuck China is so big on trying to nuke out Tibetan culture in the first place? There is a whole lot of systemic things that country does which I just do not understand why they bother in the first place. The whole thing with Falun Gong is even more mysterious to me.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Black Power salute during the civil rights era.

How can you not have known that? Hell, forget history classse, have you watched Forrest Gump?

moniker on