As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flame on: Windows Vista

• fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love the Games folder--all of my games are there. The rest of the features don't matter to me. I only have to add old games to the folder, Vista automatically recognizes and adds new ones. It's convenient.

fogeyman on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never use it, as it takes about two clicks. Two more than just hitting a button and typing whatever the game's name is.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Weird problem I can't even think of search terms to google a solution to: my computer icon on the desktop is completely unresponsive, clicking (single, double, or right) on it does nothing, nor does clicking on other icons and trying to use the arrow keys to move to it. It's not that bad since I usually used win+e to access files anyway, but it's a bit annoying.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anyone else use your computer? Maybe they took a screenshot of the desktop, made that your background, and deleted all of the icons.

fogeyman on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Does anyone else use your computer? Maybe they took a screenshot of the desktop, made that your background, and deleted all of the icons.

Nope, adding and removing the icon through the computer option in the start menu makes it appear/disappear, but it's still not useable

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So does anyone else find that Vista/IE6 habitually spits out random tabs to certain links on a page? I'm guarenteed to get shot to the Users page at least once a day and all the random opening of Youtube/Myspace/Whatnot pages with the accompanying loud bursts of audio is really starting to get on my nerves. Usually it's on the desktop but I noticed it happening a few times on the notebook over spring break.

Also, for whatever reason Vista habitually botches the log-in and I get the default installation setup, desktop, program list, color scheme, all that. It's happened twice now and I was able to revert both times by restarting, but I'd like to know what the hell is going on and stop it from happening.

Sorenson on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone use a virtual desktop pager for Vista that they recommend? I mean something that would let me have several desktops and switch between them.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yodm3D works with both XP and Vista and is pretty decent.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm still occasionally getting the blue screen, even with SP1 and a startup check reporting no errors. This is the one I got just a few minutes ago, just typing in PA.

026.jpg

Also, my PC will occasionally stay stuck at the following screen, forcing me to turn it off and on a couple of times before it continues to boot up. This happens mostly when it needs to restart due to the blue screen.

007.jpg

What else could I do?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    memtest?

Rook on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rook wrote: »
    memtest?
    Agreed.

If you're freezing in the BIOS, and you're getting page faults there's about a 99% chance it's the memory.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited April 2008
    I just ran it, it said no errors detected.

If it isn't memory related, what else could it be?

edited April 2008

Hardware issue with the motherboard or processor. Or you've got a shitty driver in there shitting things up.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't freeze at the main black screen you capped but I have had that message before about the non_paged_area. So anyone able to tell me what the hell that means would be a cool person.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2008
    I don't freeze at the main black screen you capped but I have had that message before about the non_paged_area. So anyone able to tell me what the hell that means would be a cool person.
    From the MSDN page on Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA:
      indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
      Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware...
      usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM

It's not an extremely helpful page in that it can't tell you "here's the piece of hardware that's bad, here's how you solve the issue." But it's at least a semi-detailed description of the problem. Am... am I cool now?"

iTunesIsEvil on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Corrupted hard drive or just system corruption. Should be tools from your manufacturer to see if anything is wrong with the hard drive, or a fresh install if that proves inconclusive.

Rook on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    From the MSDN page on Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA:
      indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
      Bug check 0x50 usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware...
      usually related to defective RAM, be it main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM

It's not an extremely helpful page in that it can't tell you "here's the piece of hardware that's bad, here's how you solve the issue." But it's at least a semi-detailed description of the problem. Am... am I cool now?"

You sure are.

DarkWarrior on
  • LuqLuq Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone else tried installing remote server administration tools for Vista? I've got SP1 for Vista installed and when I try to install it I get an error that the error does not apply to my system. I'm tired of using the buggy ass server 2003 tools in Vista.

Luq on
    FFRK:jWwH RW:Onion Knight's Sage USB
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Luq wrote: »
    Anyone else tried installing remote server administration tools for Vista? I've got SP1 for Vista installed and when I try to install it I get an error that the error does not apply to my system. I'm tired of using the buggy ass server 2003 tools in Vista.

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Ultimate

Dumb question but you have one of those right?

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited April 2008

System Requirements

* Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Ultimate

Not a dumb question, I forgot to mention I am running Vista Business. So I do meet both of the requirements. I should also mention that I am downloaded the correct update, x86 as opposed to the 64 bit version.

Luq on
    edited April 2008

System Requirements

Not a dumb question, I forgot to mention I am running Vista Business. So I do meet both of the requirements. I should also mention that I am downloaded the correct update, x86 as opposed to the 64 bit version.
    Random shot in dark: thats the 32-bit package, you're not running a 64-bit version of Vista are you?

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited April 2008
    I am running the regular old 32 bit version.

Luq on
    edited April 2008

Corrupted hard drive or just system corruption. Should be tools from your manufacturer to see if anything is wrong with the hard drive, or a fresh install if that proves inconclusive.

Could an attached hard drive via usb be the cause of this? The primary drive I have on the PC is new, so there shouldn't be any problems, although I'm certain the problem has occurred when the other drive was unplugged.

If reinstalling is the ideal solution, how can I make a backup of all my files before doing so? Usually I would save everything on a DVD or another drive, but since this is Vista, there should be some easier, fancier backup utility. I've just never used it before.

edited April 2008
    User state migration tool maybe. I'm a little too busy atm to give a detailed response, but start digging there.

Luq on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It is quite likely (especially since your computer hung on POST) that you have some bad hardware in there. A reinstall will not fix your problem, as boot-time errors are unrelated to the OS and the blue screens you are having are just another symptom.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited April 2008
    I had another blue screen when I attached my usb drive, and it said to run CHKDSK/C for any errors. So I right clicked my primary drive to run the check at a restart, with "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" both checked.

An hour later the check is over, but I'm not sure how to check if it fixed anything or not.

• FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    has to be bad ram, or incompatible ram

I've had to go to the store and switch brands before... and those ram checks aren't perfect

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I had another blue screen when I attached my usb drive, and it said to run CHKDSK/C for any errors. So I right clicked my primary drive to run the check at a restart, with "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" both checked.

An hour later the check is over, but I'm not sure how to check if it fixed anything or not.

After the scan, when your desktop loads, a window should have popped up giving you the results of the chkdsk scan.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    warban wrote: »
    Have you tried http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/devicecenter.mspx Looks like they have a Vista64 version.

Yeah, thats where I got it from. I even tried the 32 bit version, no dice. It seems to install, but it won't even start up.

And Vista doesn't even recognize the phone itself when I connect it via USB. Its quite annoying.

If vista can't see the phone it wont start the program.

I only have 32 bit, but finally was able to get it recently installed and now that i do have it running I have to question microsofts direction on only allowing you to gain the download (though windows update for me) after it sees the device.

I mean it's unlike any other programming iv seen before, you have to rely on the OS to see it before it will give you the download link, It seems like a very backward function that they decided to add to this thing.

If you can manage to get windows to see it as you plug it in or pull it out, try firing up windows update, then putting it in then scaning for new updates right away. I had my PDA set to sleeping every 10 seconds and found i needed to keep it awake for windows update to find the install.

I gave this a try - It does result in a new item under Windows update, but it fails to install.

I think this might be an SP1 issue :/

It was an SP1 issue - I uninstalled SP1 and WDMC started working perfectly.

JohnDoe on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright, I seem to be unable to install service pack 1 because I have the chinese language installed.. and for some reason uninstalling the language never works. This is weird.

edit: it finally uninstalled. weird.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, Dutch version of SP1 will be available this week, but I'm not sure if I even want to install it. Everything is working properly now. Any advice, anyone?

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    There's no reason not to install it unless you're not legal.

jonxp on
    edited April 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    So it is best to not not not install it unless you're not not legal?

Iunno, I just read somewhere that SP1 only made Vista more buggy and slower, but my source is crappy (national newspaper with a strong "lolvista" tech guy)

Aldo on
    edited April 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

Iunno, I just read somewhere that SP1 only made Vista more buggy and slower, but my source is crappy (national newspaper with a strong "lolvista" tech guy)

Well, according to most tech sources it's absolutely amazing that I get good performance out of Vista with no real problems (except with third parties who refuse to make 64-bit drivers), much less that it hasn't raped my daughter. I take everything I read about Microsoft products, good or bad, with a grain of salt.

jonxp on
  • squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yes, Microsoft secretly made SP1 make Vista 'more' buggy (I ask people what all these Vista bugs are and never really receive an answer outside of "LOL PEROFMRNACE LIKE XP W1N"), just like Microsoft secretly forgot all they had learn in the however many decades they've been making software in regards to stability so therefore, Vista is completely stable.

Remember guys, every time Microsoft creates a new version of Windows they've completely forgotten all work they've done in the past.

Most people are complete morons.. and when it comes to Microsoft and more so, Vista, they somehow manage to magnify their stupidity. If it wasn't so annoying, unfair, hypocritical, etc it would be amusing and impressive.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

It breaks Windows Mobile Device Center on at least some machines.

JohnDoe on
    edited April 2008

It breaks Windows Mobile Device Center on at least some machines.

OK, I've only seen one person complain about that and that was here.

jonxp on
  • FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I installed Vista for the first time a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. I wish the critics would give it a fair shake or get over their Apple boners (please don't hate me for saying this).

Fraz on
    edited April 2008
    squirly wrote: »
    Yes, Microsoft secretly made SP1 make Vista 'more' buggy (I ask people what all these Vista bugs are and never really receive an answer outside of "LOL PEROFMRNACE LIKE XP W1N"), just like Microsoft secretly forgot all they had learn in the however many decades they've been making software in regards to stability so therefore, Vista is completely stable.

Remember guys, every time Microsoft creates a new version of Windows they've completely forgotten all work they've done in the past.

Most people are complete morons.. and when it comes to Microsoft and more so, Vista, they somehow manage to magnify their stupidity. If it wasn't so annoying, unfair, hypocritical, etc it would be amusing and impressive.
    Remind me to never ever ask anything about Vista again on these forums. It was an honest question and I'm greeted with infuriated forumers complaining about the reputation of Microsoft.

I'll install SP1 once it becomes available, all I wanted was to make sure that it wouldn't fuck up my PC regardless of its configuration.

Aldo on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll install SP1 once it becomes available, all I wanted was to make sure that it wouldn't fuck up my PC regardless of its configuration.

I believe Windows Update won't actually push it out if it detects incompatible hardware on your system. I'm not too well versed on the specifics though.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg