Options

¿Dónde está el [CHAT]?

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've noticed a lot of people moving away from desktops these days. I wonder what you guys design on, laptops or desktops? I can't stand working on laptops for long periods of time, I don't know if I'll ever drop my desktop as my primary computer.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've noticed a lot of people moving away from desktops these days. I wonder what you guys design on, laptops or desktops? I can't stand working on laptops for long periods of time, I don't know if I'll ever drop my desktop as my primary computer.

I'm with you MT, I can't stand designing on a laptop for more than about an hour. And I will definitely never have a laptop as my main... unless it's a Transformer laptop that transforms into a desktop, then I might change my mind.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Both. Desktop for powerful production. Laptop for ease of transport and promotion. Both, for pron.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited April 2008

I have a chip injected into my spinal column that allows me to design from my brain.

Grifter on
  • Options
    (ohms)Crunchy(ohms)Crunchy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Grifter wrote: »

I have a chip injected into my spinal column that allows me to design from my brain.
    That's pretty cool. I have something similar. I have a Butler who does my design work, and he has a chip injected into his spinal column that allows him to design from my brain.

(ohms)Crunchy on
    14e9iqh.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    My chips have pron.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    My CHiPs have Eric Estrada.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For me the primary thing is having a decent screen, keyboard, and mouse; so I can design from a laptop, but it certainly would have to operate like a desktop.

Veritas on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So TWB just had a recent resurge [strike]argument[/strike] discussion about the practise of critiquing critiques. And I pass through the baying of the core hounds thread and come across the exact same (off) topic.

There's a leak somewhere.

...and see by that I'm not sure I mean a leak in the AC spreading ACian concepts to the TWB or vice versa. Or maybe there's a leak in the internet itself. But that should have way more dramatic outcomes.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FantasyrogueFantasyrogue Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't see any practical use for a laptop. I hardly ever go anywhere. Also, I need my computer for my gaming fix!

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Edcrab wrote: »
    critiquing critiques

THAT'S been going on here for a long dang time.

multimoog on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    multimoog wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »
    critiquing critiques

THAT'S been going on here for a long dang time.

Thus, history as we know it was born.

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why critique has to be such a negative experience. We could all be better artists, no need to drill people into the ground for doing something wrong. My first art teacher in college laid this out right at the start, it was going to be a positive class and that was that. I think I learned just as much as I would have if he constantly tore apart my work, because by pointing out the good parts of the picture I knew what I needed to strive for, and I didn't feel bad about the things I needed to work on. Had he only focused on all of the problems, I probably would have dropped the class, or worse stopped drawing entirely. Instead I felt more confident in my skills, knew what needed work and I still draw that way today.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, I'm selling some photography equipment and the buyer wants to know if I can send him the original receipts with them. There's actually a lot of info on these I would prefer anyone online not to know so I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should go through with this.

Most likely its for his own personal records as I don't see my info being worth $600 but its unnerving all the same.

I was thinking I could just block out all of my personal info and if its only for his records I don't see it being a problem but having not ever been asked for the receipts before it seems odd. I would blow it off if I didn't need the extra money.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    maybe it's just for tax purposes?

NeoRedXIII on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Do any of you have trouble producing ANYTHING while sick? I have a cold, and this headache is ruining any and all attempts I've made at drawing today. QQ

melting_doll on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah thats what I was thinking Neo but it doesn't stop me from being a little paranoid :p

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have days where I just can't draw anything. I may have a brilliant idea, but I try to put it on paper (or digital paper, as it were), nothing comes out that even resembles my idea. Also, headaches are a bitch and ruin any chances to concentrate on anything whatsoever.

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't understand why critique has to be such a negative experience.

It isn't. It is the assholes who cannot handle a little jab at their work that make it negative. In all 12 of my studio classes to date, I have yet to experience one truly negative critique. Any discrepancy was caused by some jerkoff who couldn't handle what the instructor or other student was telling him/her.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Unfortunately I haven't met many people in any of my classes who can give a decent critique, usually they impose personal preferences or try to make references to some obscure concept that has no bearing on the project. Occasionally you can get a really good critique but its few and far between.

I would personally love for at least one project to be torn to shreds for the bullshit I make up about the concept but sadly its yet to happen.

Veritas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I don't understand why critique has to be such a negative experience.

It isn't. It is the assholes who cannot handle a little jab at their work that make it negative. In all 12 of my studio classes to date, I have yet to experience one truly negative critique. Any discrepancy was caused by some jerkoff who couldn't handle what the instructor or other student was telling him/her.

It's here more than anywhere else. Like that Corehound topic. Some people just took a giant dump on it. Why? It wasn't a horrible picture, or God forbid a webcomic. Yeah it had problems, but it wasn't so bad that it was offensive to the eyes or something.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It might partially be due to the AC's reputation for being harsh, so some people immediately jump on the negative crits because that's expected of the AC?

I don't generally give crits, I'm far too unsure of myself to go pointing at things in someone else's work. I keep second guessing that what I'm seeing wrong might not be wrong at all. *shrug*

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No problems with being harsh it just has to be harsh and relevant otherwise your just tearing down the work for no reason.

Veritas on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's not all pleasant being told what sucks about a piece you've busted your ass on, especially on a consistent basis - hell I ended up hooked on painkillers after my first week here, but it sure is motivating to wanna show those critics up the next time around. Besides, theres always a those deviantart faves or a kitten to beat to help alleviate a bruised ego.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well maybe I just percieve all this differently because I've always seen myself as a writer first and an artist second

I.e., I know I've got a long way to come in artistic composition, so a critique sticking to what needs addressed, not what's already strong, makes sense to me

...but obviously that doesn't mean critiques should be one long rant about the failures of the artist or writer or anything. Guess it's all a matter of balance.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I assume
    Some people just took a giant dump on it.
    means me...

I don't think that pointing out the flaws in a drawing equates to being too harsh...I'm working off of the principles and elements of design...fundamentals. Receiving critiques isn't a pleasurable experience, you shouldn't have to sugar coat anything for fear of being thought of as a dick, especially on an internet forum. What's funny in this instance is that the artist isn't the one getting all defensive, it's other forumers...

Veritas: I know what you mean...i'm a freshman in college and in some of the beginner drawing and design classes there are some people that make up the stupidest shit for their concept. But it's like a taboo to talk about how weak it is. What makes me irritated is when a flaw is pointed out in a project and the artist just uses the phrase "i meant to do that," or "that's part of the concept," what do you say to that?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Heh, I usually bring my own work down before someone critiques it. When my model drawing class teacher stands behind me I start pointing out the flaws before she says anything. I guess that's a pretty bad habit of mine, but it's hard not to do. I guess I don't want people to think I didn't notice the flaws.

Such a reverse from when I was a stupid teenager and only wanted pats on the back. God, I was such an idiot. I think I wrote every piece of critique ever off as "my style".

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    despite the harshness of some crits of the ac, at least its not like conceptart.org, where you don't even have to post a single damn thing to be reminded by how much you suck.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mykonos wrote: »
    It's not all pleasant being told what sucks about a piece you've busted your ass on, especially on a consistent basis - hell I ended up hooked on painkillers after my first week here, but it sure is motivating to wanna show those critics up the next time around. Besides, theres always a those deviantart faves or a kitten to beat to help alleviate a bruised ego.

Stop doing art.

Seriously. If you can't handle someone pointing out what sucks about your piece, just quit.

Certainly if it is over the top or rude, they are at fault, but if you can't take a jab at your artwork, then you're in the wrong field.

Heh, I usually bring my own work down before someone critiques it. When my model drawing class teacher stands behind me I start pointing out the flaws before she says anything. I guess that's a pretty bad habit of mine, but it's hard not to do. I guess I don't want people to think I didn't notice the flaws.

Nothin' wrong with that.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And on that note. DeeLock, I think your crit was fine. Your tone was condescending, however.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I just worry it makes me come across as defensive.. or insecure. Which, well, I guess I am! Heh. :P

Also, I love seeing work of artists much better than me, like at Conceptart. But although it can be a bit of a downer sometimes putting your work next to that of someone tons better, at the same time I'd like to think I'm actually pretty decent at this art business. Though there's always room for improvement (and there always will be).

Fantasyrogue on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Stop doing art.

Seriously. If you can't handle someone pointing out what sucks about your piece, just quit.

Certainly if it is over the top or rude, they are at fault, but if you can't take a jab at your artwork, then you're in the wrong field.

lol you didn't think i was being seriouse do you? I was speaking in general terms in a jokingly somber act in saying how recieving crits can be tough but in end the help motivate and spur improvment.. Hell I appreciate every crit I can get being that I'm not in art school.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It has nothing to do with what your saying, and everything to do with how you say it. That same art teacher told me that when he was in college, one of his teachers took a drawing from one of the students, said it was the most awful thing he had ever seen, and told the guy to quit. I didn't see the drawing, but that was completely unecessary. We're all artists (except the guys who come in to whore out their stuff), and we're all here to improve (except for those previously mentioned). Not all of us are incredibly good, but we should all be treated the same. The fact of the matter is, not everyone is going to be as good as a professional artist. If someone comes in here with an honest attempt and really wants crits, his piece should be critiqued just like every other one on the board.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    lol you didn't think i was being seriouse do you? I was speaking in general terms in a jokingly somber act in saying how recieving crits can be tough but in end the help motivate and spur improvment.. Hell I appreciate every crit I can get being that I'm not in art school.

Its hard to get that meaning from a paragraph when it takes you a small paragraph to explain what you meant.

Casual internet talk isn't good for conveying meanings.

In other news, shortly after my last post, I got hit by a car, and I spent the past 3 hours in the emergency room!

img0004wt4.jpg

Luckily no breaks. Just a pretty severe sprain. I guess some kids got fractured pelvises on the same cross walk I was on.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Personally, I *like* harsh critiques, and even nitpicks, sometimes. In my opinion, I will not get better by being told "wow, that's great!" or "wow, that's awesome!" or "that hair is well-done!"...I'm going to get better by others pointing out my flaws, because that directly addresses that which needs improvement.

Because of this, I don't really mind if somebody tears my work apart - through that, they show me problem areas of the piece. Praise is nice too, of course, but it quickly loses its charm for me, as I'm more set on personal improvement than I am for impressing others. Some praise though, in small doses, helps me to give myself a quick pat on the back, and tells me I'm on the right track (kind of calms my abundant worries about ohjeebasamIgoodenough and ohgodIwillnevergetajob D:).

When critiquing others, though, I tend to adapt the same mentality - critiques are, by definition, telling the creator about the flaws in the work. I'm not one to beat around the bush - if the anatomy is off, I'll mention it. If their coloring is bad, I will say so. I usually try to add in a few good comments though, to make sure my entire reply isn't negative, and to give them some encouragement. I don't feel this is absolutely necessary all the time, however. I also truly believe that if you want to improve, you have to be able to take critiques.

But for some people - especially those who are rather stubborn/egotistical/naïve, I feel that critiques involving only "negative" comments are fine. If they're being stubborn, it needs to be forced into their head that "no, really, this isn't working". If they're egotistical, they need to be a bit more honest with themselves, and realize their flaws. If they're just unaware or very new to the scene, listing off problems in their art will undoubtedly assist them more than praise, as they're typically not too sure what they're doing wrong, yet. All of this is obviously only for those who genuinely wish to improve...and a condescending tone probably doesn't help matters much...although I will flat-out admit that if somebody is being excessively stubborn or egotistical (both, usually) about their work, I tend to be rather condescending. I think that in most cases, this is due to a contradiction - they say they want to improve, yet blow off every valid critique given to them. That's a real pet peeve of mine.

I don't agree with the professor telling the kid "your work is horrible", but in all honesty...in some cases, I feel that's valid. Example: 7th-year senior girl in an entry-level drawing class, telling me she wants a graphic design degree. She had NO design or drawing sense, at ALL. She drew like a 7-year old. She told me she was angry that her guidance counselor had suggested to her that she pick a different major. I wanted to tell her that I agreed with him. Why? She's paying THOUSANDS of dollars a year, and by the time she graduates, she'll have a degree in a field that she can't have a career in, because...put bluntly, she sucks. She's pretty much just wasted her college education. I think that it's more helpful to suggest to people "you may want to rethink this" than just sugar-coating everything.

I guess, long story short, my motto is, "if it's honest, and helps them, it's A - OK." Telling somebody they suck and should stop drawing may be harsh, but I don't think telling somebody "you're not very good, you may want to change your major" is entirely unwarranted...and they're basically the same concept, I suppose...just slightly different.

And that's my 25 cents.

I usually bring my own work down before someone critiques it. When my model drawing class teacher stands behind me I start pointing out the flaws before she says anything. I guess that's a pretty bad habit of mine, but it's hard not to do. I guess I don't want people to think I didn't notice the flaws.

Ha! I do the exact - same - thing!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »

Its hard to get that meaning from a paragraph when it takes you a small paragraph to explain what you meant.

Casual internet talk isn't good for conveying meanings.

In other news, shortly after my last post, I got hit by a car, and I spent the past 3 hours in the emergency room!

img0004wt4.jpg

Luckily no breaks. Just a pretty severe sprain. I guess some kids got fractured pelvises on the same cross walk I was on.

Holy crap, man. Good to see you're relatively unharmed! D:

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Personally, I *like* harsh critiques, and even nitpicks, sometimes. In my opinion, I will not get better by being told "wow, that's great!" or "wow, that's awesome!" or "that hair is well-done!"...I'm going to get better by others pointing out my flaws, because that directly addresses that which needs improvement.

Yep! I'm the same way.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    All I'm trying to say is, people aren't going to take what you say into account if you pepper it with words like 'talentless hack' or saying things like 'my blind, 3 year old cousin can draw better than you'. People seem to be offended when the artist goes on the defensive, you ever think that maybe it's because the "tone" you used was overly aggressive and negative? I want crits, I want to know what needs work. But I don't need you to tell me that you want to set yourself on fire after seeing my picture. It kind of removes any credibility you had.

I don't mean to make waves, I just feel like sometimes people can get ahead of themselves and say things that are a little too harsh, and you accept that as a part of AC now. I doubt I'll post my artwork here any time soon because I don't feel like getting personally insulted while my piece gets critiqued.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    I usually bring my own work down before someone critiques it. When my model drawing class teacher stands behind me I start pointing out the flaws before she says anything. I guess that's a pretty bad habit of mine, but it's hard not to do. I guess I don't want people to think I didn't notice the flaws.

Ha! I do the exact - same - thing!

I always liked doing this in group critiques in an blunt, if not outright mocking tone towards my stuff.

First off it lets you savor the shocked, speechless reactions of the 'I want to be an artist but don't feel like actually working for it' crowd, and second it makes the professor less likely to call on you to say something, so you can just sit in the back and draw quietly while everyone else prattles on like ninnies about Diebenkorn-esque brushstrokes or whatever other fucking nonsense they think up.

As to whatever inspired this topic (I haven't actually read the thread in question so I don't know if these problems are present there or not), I've found that I am always more annoyed less about the tone or harshness rather than the general void of actual useful content in some people's "critiques".

Far too much "DO THIS NOW AND DON'T TALK BACK", far too little, "DO THIS BECAUSE OF REASONS X, Y and Z", and then they get MAD when the artist doesn't follow along blindly because they haven't given any reason other than some random person who they don't even know's word that it'll make it better somehow. "WHY DO I HAVE TO EXPLAIN JUST DO IT" is a pretty shitty reaction, and I don't know if it's just ego, or the fact most people would rather not write more than 2 or 3 sentences explaining themselves, or that after hearing the same old shit over and over again here they start assuming that everyone knows this or that is common knowledge that's the culprit, but it's pretty obnoxious whatever the reason.

Without providing the how's and why's behind a suggestion, it just becomes a stupid internet dickwaving contest, where is becomes more of a matter of trying to shout someone down until they capitulate rather than actually trying to convince someone with, you know, facts and reason. If you make a decent suggestion, I am certain that there exists more than enough evidence to back up your claims, so there's no reason to ask anyone to take you purely on faith.

Admittedly, if anyone were so inclined, I am sure a few examples of myself losing my cool, and becoming the kind of arrogant cunt I am admonishing here could be dragged up for public display; I'm not going to defend myself on those counts. I am sure the truth has more than enough hurting power by itself that embellishing it, or really hiding it in a dark backalley where it shanghais people and leaves them dazed and no more the wiser and missing a kidney in some foreign country- it's not entirely necessary.
    I AM STILL TICKED OFF ABOUT THE "DON'T USE BLACK" ARGUMENT PEOPLE, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    All I'm trying to say is, people aren't going to take what you say into account if you pepper it with words like 'talentless hack' or saying things like 'my blind, 3 year old cousin can draw better than you'. People seem to be offended when the artist goes on the defensive, you ever think that maybe it's because the "tone" you used was overly aggressive and negative? I want crits, I want to know what needs work. But I don't need you to tell me that you want to set yourself on fire after seeing my picture. It kind of removes any credibility you had.

I don't mean to make waves, I just feel like sometimes people can get ahead of themselves and say things that are a little too harsh, and you accept that as a part of AC now. I doubt I'll post my artwork here any time soon because I don't feel like getting personally insulted while my piece gets critiqued.

night dragon made some pretty good points expressing exactly why she doesn't do that.
    to be honest, the stronger artists of this forum are rarely the ones who are assholes. they are blunt, to the point and critical, but these are all good things. the ones who are like "my blind cousin could draw better than you" are as a general rule, not that good, don't understand the concepts themselves and are therefore unable to offer up anything constructive. those same people tend to misinterpret the real crits as harsh and so in an attempt to fit in and appear witty, act like assholes. this is just the way of art forums. an artist can learn how to sift through those posts by lurking first and getting a feel for the skill level and posting styles.

beavotron on
This discussion has been closed.