Options

The Conduit - "We are trying to make a Wii game that looks like a 360 title"

SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint.Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
The Conduit is a new Wii title just announced today from High Voltage Software. The game is a futuristic FPS that takes place in Washington D.C. during an alien invasion. This may not sound like much, but the real thrills come from the Quantum 3 engine behind the game. The people at High Voltage are not happy with current third party Wii graphical efforts and are trying to make the best looking Wii game to date. Honestly? They're succeeding, and it's the best looking third party Wii game I've seen. Take a look for yourself.
the-conduit-20080417032659692_640w.jpg
the-conduit-20080417033651743_640w.jpg
the-conduit-20080417032657973.jpg
the-conduit-20080417032707582.jpg
the-conduit-20080417032706629.jpg

The most important thing, however, is the video of the engine in action. Seriously, go watch it. It's impressive. It looks really good.
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14248157/vids_1.html

And the IGN preview of the game:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/867/867498p1.html

I didn't think I'd ever see it, but a third party is actually putting effort into a Wii game. It looks great.

SirUltimos on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Between this and that bug game, it looks like the cheap-ass PS2 ports are finally starting to abate.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The engine looks great, I just hope this isn't another Red Steel "Meh, mediocre game" scenerio. Although I did read that they're basing the controls off the MoH 2 style controls, so that's a big plus in my book.

Still, very nice looking so far.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Davoid wrote: »
    The engine looks great, I just hope this isn't another Red Steel "Meh, mediocre game" scenerio.

It looks great, but you're right. It's all in how it plays.

I still believe the Wii has the potential for great FPS games. It's great that plans are finally coming to fruition. 8-)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, Prime 3 was possibly my favourite controls in an FPS ever, loved every second of that game, so it's obvious it can be done properly.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    *ahem*

But yeah, it looks good - and supposedly they're taking the inspiration for the controls from the widely praised 'full customization' of Medal of Honor 2. I'll certainly keep an eye on it.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's an early build, I know, but I really hope those bug designs improve.

They look kind of cartoony.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have absolutely no idea what you guys see in these screenshots. The textures are low resolution, the lighting looks awful, and the geometry is fucking sparse. I've seen the Dreamcast do better stuff than this. Look at the hands in the first screenshot, or the creatures in the third.

I applaud the efforts of the dev team for trying, but this is not the best that the Wii can do. 'Sides, I'm not too worried about the graphics so long as the gameplay is any good.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I think the engine video is a better indication of what they're trying to go for rather than the screenshots. ...and yes, gameplay does trump all, but hopefully we can remain optimistic about this one.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    AndrewPaulAndrewPaul Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not too impressed either. I dunno, the video was pretty low res, but between what I saw and those screenshots, I feel like they can do better - and I definitely wouldn't mention anything about "360 quality". This isn't to say the Wii isn't capable of great things graphically - Mario Galaxy still sets the standard for what the Wii can do as far as I'm concerned.

Of course even if I'm right, that doesn't mean it won't be a cool game.

AndrewPaul on
    AndrewPaul.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    screw the screenshots; just watch the engine demo. That is more important than these screenshots.

slash000 on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    yeah, uh

that ain't 360 graphics

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've seen the Dreamcast do better stuff than this.

Sure...

shenmue2gw6.jpg

sonicadventure2kn7.jpg

soulcaliburfz6.jpg

spacechannelsx1.jpg

virtuatennis2pu8.jpg

Could you people stop spewing utter bullshit?

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, this makes me want to shit all over myself. I played the hell out of MoH: Heroes 2, hating the WWII setting the whole time, but enduring because the controls were so good.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    yeah, uh

that ain't 360 graphics

And someone completely misses the point.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    Could you people stop spewing utter bullshit?

InternetSeriousBusiness.jpg

Oh, get that sand out of your vag and look up hyperbole in Websters. Cripes.

[Edit] P.S. I watched the video and I'm still not convinced the engine is that good. The swaying lantern was nice, the water distortion was okay, and the pillar lighting looked all right, but I still think that the Wii can do a lot better. Remember Jon Carmak saying that the Gamecube could've handled the Doom 3 engine better than the Xbox? I know that the Doom 3 engine didn't get used a whole lot, but if the Cube could pull off those kinds of effects then I don't see how this is too great by comparison.

Well, I guess you can see what's happening in those screens as opposed to a black wall, but that's beside the point.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess the engine could be cool but those screens.. dunno, yuck. Wow.

Mashalot on
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

[Edit] P.S. I watched the video and I'm still not that convinced the engine is that good. The swaying lantern was nice, the water distortion was okay, and the pillar lighting looked all right, but I still think that the Wii can do a lot better. Remember Jon Carmak saying that the Gamecube could've handled the Doom 3 engine better than the Xbox? I know that the Doom 3 engine didn't get used a whole lot, but if the Cube could pull off those kinds of effects then I don't see how this is too great by comparison.

Well, I guess you can see what's happening in those screens as opposed to a black wall, but that's beside the point.

Did any GC game even topped Rogue Squadron?(on a technical level), self shadowing, dinamic lights, all kinds of mapping, fantastic surround sound, a hundred ships on screen, all running at a respectable framerate.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Looks promising. The feature set is especially interesting.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    paco_pepe wrote: »

[Edit] P.S. I watched the video and I'm still not that convinced the engine is that good. The swaying lantern was nice, the water distortion was okay, and the pillar lighting looked all right, but I still think that the Wii can do a lot better. Remember Jon Carmak saying that the Gamecube could've handled the Doom 3 engine better than the Xbox? I know that the Doom 3 engine didn't get used a whole lot, but if the Cube could pull off those kinds of effects then I don't see how this is too great by comparison.

Did any GC game even topped Rogue Squadron?(on a technical level), self shadowing, dinamic lights, all kinds of mapping, fantastic surround sound, a hundred ships on screen, all running at a respectable framerate.

Fucking word up. I totally forgot about RS! I also totally forgot about how Factor 5 is supposed to be working on a Wii game/engine these days. I just hope they don't throw in any ground missions.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm glad a third party has finally reached the middle of the OXbox's lifespan graphics-wise.

But if they're really trying to make a game that looks like a 360 title, "trying" would be the operative word and, to be frank, they need to keep trying because it's not going well so far.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not particularly impressed either. The art design seems pretty generic so far and if someone had told me that this was a PS2 game, I wouldn't have disbelieved them. Mario Galaxy & Sonic & the Seven Rings blow this game's graphics away.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    This is early on, right? I guess there's a chance they could make the graphics look good for a Wii game. Maybe.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeeeeah... count me in with the nay-sayers here. It doesn't look terrible or anything, but it's not looking as good as Half-Life 2 or Black, both of which are quite old now and appeared on previous-generation systems. I'm not expecting something that looks like the 360 or anything (despite the title of the thread), but at the very least I'd hope for something that looks like a step above the previous generation, and this ain't it.

It doesn't really seem like a third party stepping things up, it seems like a third party getting the benefit of the doubt from massively lowered expectations (though I do think they're trying harder than most). I've got to agree with everyone else saying that thus far Super Mario Galaxy seems like the best example of the Wii's power that we have.

sethsez on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    paco_pepe wrote: »

And the sad thing is that they pushed the production for that into only 8 months for it to be a launch title, yet it still beats most Wii games to a pulp

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zampano wrote: »
    It's an early build, I know, but I really hope those bug designs improve.

They look kind of cartoony.

The lighting and other effects don't seem finished. I think they'll look better when they don't look glued onto the background.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Art != Game Engine tech. Stop whining about the generic look of the art. The tech demo was very impressive considering what its running on.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I still think it's impressive. This is much better than most third parties are pushing out and you can tell they're really trying. From the video you can tell they've got something pretty impressive running on the Wii, especially considering these guys aren't iD or Epic. Do I think they'll live up to their claim that it'll look like a 360 game like they said in the IGN article? Probably not, but I do think that as development continues it can be right up there with Mario Galaxy.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    The screenshots are horrific but the engine video looked ... not ... too bad. Even if they're pushing more power than everyone else, though, the style that they're cribbing on is totally NEW! 3D GRAPHIX shit that stormed onto the PC scene about a decade ago. I mean, it looks like Myst, except not as cool ... it has that same sort of prerendered gloss to it, though. :(

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The screenshots always look bad for Wii games.

Its the way they are captured or something.

This will be good if they don't put a whole load of gimmicky bullshit in it. MOH2 succeeded in annoying the hell out of me with the gesture based stuff.

No I just want a button for zooming my sniper rifle in, you fuckwits.

Rotam on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The screens look "okay", but honestly they really do lack some art direction. The reason both HL2 and Black looked as good as they did had a good deal to do with creative texturing to add dephth and shadow, and not much to do with the engine itself.

I've said it before, but the Wii is hampered by both the continued existence and success of the PS2 and PSP (which provide a lower common denominator for developers) and the fact that few devs are going to be interested in trying to wring power out of the Wii when more powerful systems already exist...and I doubt the C64 demo scene and Wii developers overlap :p

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i, like others, was way more impressed with the video. IGN says that they'll have more footage in the near future. i'll reserve judgment until then.

Guek on
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It looks pretty bad to be honest, but it's an alright step forward. Hooray for some progress, I guess.

I really wish they didn't say "360 quality" though, because that makes the screenshots and tech demo look even worse than it is. Looks like a total failure.

Now if they said Xbox quality, then that'd look like a success. Then again, that wouldn't really encourage much interest.

"Hey guys, we can totally do last gen graphics now! Yay!?"

Ranced on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The video looks like first-gen 360 graphics to me.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

Huh, really?

Have you played Black, Doom, HL2, Chronicles of Riddick, or Brothers in Arms on the original Xbox? Because those pull off the same look and effects pretty easily.

I think we've forgotten how nice Xbox games look and are getting ahead of ourselves with this tech demo. It's not really a comment against the Wii when I say it has Xbox graphics.

(Riddick)

riddick1jf4.png

riddick2ar6.png

riddick3mj5.png

(Black)

black3gp2.jpg

black2xp4.jpg

black1tq4.jpg

It seems like the developers are just trying to get some attention by claiming their engine is able to get "360 quality" graphics.
    Dusda wrote: »
    The tech demo was very impressive considering what its running on.

Although I've gotten spoiled graphics wise with a lot of the recent games, I can agree with this.

Ranced on
  • Options
    DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    360? lets see if it can beat the original Xbox first....

Halo 2
    01rb6.jpg

02ez2.jpg

03qq7.jpg

08po5.jpg

Doom 3
    04jg8.jpg

05hu9.jpg

06gx8.jpg

07mj8.jpg

(first time using imageshack so hopefully I didn't screw anything up)

EDIT: Ranced beat me to it

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Me too.

callofduty2200605080428lr5.jpg
    theconduit2008041703271og8.jpg
    callofduty2200605080429rk2.jpg
    theconduit2008041703270km6.jpg
    callofduty2200605080429no5.jpg
    theconduit2008041703270wm6.jpg

The only difference I see is higher resolution textures. And of course better art direction, but that has nothing to do with the engine.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hence why I said "first-gen".
    Half the 360 launch games were not terribly graphically impressive.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It will not look like a 360 title until there's more light bloom.

Also it must be brown.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hence why I said "first-gen".
    Half the 360 launch games were not terribly graphically impressive.

And I completely disagree. As aesthetically ugly (terrible art direction, i mean sooo bad) and mediocre a game PDZ is, it's still much better than that tech demo. Same with Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2.

Those are the three 360 FPS launch titles.

I mean, it's hard to watch videos of these games and that tech demo and say they look the same.
    Taramoor wrote: »
    It will not look like a 360 title until there's more light bloom.

Also it must be brown.

Looking at those screenshots, this game already has a lot of bloom lighting and pale colors. ;-)

Ranced on
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Whenever I see that picture with the green bugs, I hear "EDF! EDF!" in my head.

We're gonna have to wait for Factor 5 to reveal their new Wii game to get an idea of the upper limit of the system's power. Rumor is that it may even be Kid Icarus...at least according to mindless PA speculation.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name