As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheap and low quality projectors?

KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
Alright, so basically I'm trying to make a cheap electronic whiteboard using Johnny Chung's method with the wiimote, which I'm sure many of you know. I have the wiimote from my system, and the bluetoth adapter for my laptop, but I want to use it with a projector instead of my screen. I know I've seen really cheap and low quality projectors on sites like woot.com selling for under 100 dollars, but I can't find them anywhere I search. Do they even exist? If so, where could I get one? The cheapest I could find was like $230, but I thought they could be gotten cheaper.

I'm really only doing this to play around with it, and I don't want to spend alot of money, so it doesn't matter how crappy it is as long as it turns on. So basically, could you recommend me the cheapest projector that there is?

Krayzie on

• Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    $230 is dirt cheap for a projector. Remember that woot.com is a deep discount site, their prices never reflect normal retail.

Satan. on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you're looking to just draw stuff electronically, I would just grab a cheap tablet. I got one for 20 bucks 6inch square and it's great for MSN Messenger doodles and the like. If it's an easy whiteboard you're looking for grab a Magna Doodle.

Now on projectors, $230 is a good price, most carrying bags are 100 bucks :|. The quality is probably too low for any real projector usage so if you ask me, way too much for a silly whiteboard I could buy for really cheap and just use dry-erase markers.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't say i've ever even seen a projector on woot for under $100 even a crappy one. For what you're looking to spend you might be able to get just the bulb.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Krayzie wrote: »
    Alright, so basically I'm trying to make a cheap electronic whiteboard using Johnny Chung's method with the wiimote, which I'm sure many of you know. I have the wiimote from my system, and the bluetoth adapter for my laptop, but I want to use it with a projector instead of my screen. I know I've seen really cheap and low quality projectors on sites like woot.com selling for under 100 dollars, but I can't find them anywhere I search. Do they even exist? If so, where could I get one? The cheapest I could find was like $230, but I thought they could be gotten cheaper.

I'm really only doing this to play around with it, and I don't want to spend alot of money, so it doesn't matter how crappy it is as long as it turns on. So basically, could you recommend me the cheapest projector that there is?

The problem is, if its too cheap it will be unusable. either you can build one yourself or buy a decent one and suffer with high costs and bulb replacement. Cheap + projector just doesn't work well.

Example.

Low end projector with 250$ replacement bulbs
    http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&productId=186887&catalogId=10051&cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG4:DP2160

499$ with -100$ rebate(Rebates suck though). 800x600 res. Any lower and everything starts sucking hard.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KrayzieKrayzie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I realized that 230 is dirt cheap and that even then it's a shitty,shitty projector. And after doing some research I decided to just scrap the whole thing and build myself a multi-touch console using a quality($1200+) projector. Playing around with multi touch was the only real reason I wanted to do the wiimote stuff anyway, and this way I get a hdtv out of it.

Krayzie on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now THAT is a solid idea. Run with that because that would be sexy as fuck.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes, an excellent idea. Glad to hear that. Good luck with your project.

Viscountalpha on