As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wooden Wiimote

MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Artist's Corner
Figured this was the place to put this.

A group I belong to decided to do a pinewood derby amongst the adults. I had seen a weak attempt at a wiimote car before at my mom's Webelos pack derby race, and decided to outdo anything I had done in my youth.

Hours of sanding, cutting, and painting yielded this:

whatisthis.jpg
(the thing in the back)

inhand1.jpg
(close up and obvious)

inhand2.jpg

wheeld2.jpg
wheels!

BUTTON.jpg
a trigger, too. And yes, that is a poorly-etched "Nintendo" symbol where it is on the controller.

A short movie of it losing (it's the very white one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quZHf_H3E1M

Learned a few things from this:

Always sand when you're going to paint wood. It gets sticky/messy/uneven otherwise.

I didn't take quite accurate measurements, which is why the A button is way higher than it ought to be.

Painting letters is more difficult if imitating an actual font!

Questions? Comments?

MrDelish on

• Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Always sand when you're going to paint wood. It gets sticky/messy/uneven otherwise.

If you use steel wool on the paint after it's dried, you can get it so smooth it feels almost like plastic. You might want to wear a mask/do it outside, because the paint grains get everywhere.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just put a brand new TV in front of it, and it'll go faster than you could ever imagine.

Tam on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ha the pictures fooled me for a second. Pretty nice.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That's pretty awesome for wood carvings. Too bad it only got in second place. :P

Might be worth submitting to Kotaku if you're an attention whore. :P

anable on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    anable wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome for wood carvings. Too bad it only got in second place. :P

Might be worth submitting to Kotaku if you're an attention whore. :P

It actually only managed seventh out of eighteen or so, but won the "most creative" award, netting me a sweet sweet bag of Butterfinger/Crunch squares.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hell yeah. I think this project was a success then.

anable on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Janin wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »

If you use steel wool on the paint after it's dried, you can get it so smooth it feels almost like plastic. You might want to wear a mask/do it outside, because the paint grains get everywhere.

Also layer some fine polyfiller on it, then sandpaper it down using finer and finer grades of sanpaper. Then apply the undercoat and smooth that with some wet and dry in finer and finer coats, reapplying a fine spray of undercoat between sandings. After all that spray it carefully and you can pretty much make the model look lifelike. Oh how i (don't) miss my industrial design degree course!

Lly on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Just put a brand new TV in front of it, and it'll go faster than you could ever imagine.

I lawled

Though I guess you could just take a regular Wiimote and glue wheels to the side.

multimoog on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Very cool! Great idea, I really like how it turned out.

But seriously, that paint job is atrocious! (sorry!) I sanded my derby cars for weeks to get them to look right. You probably would have won first prize in craft if the paint had been better. Did you use a clear coat afterwards? That can really help the paint on a derby car pop.

Maybe try it again with more sanding? 8-)

NibCrom on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Use wet sanding.

Of course, I've only done it on a plastic nosecone and phenolic body-tube (can't remember name) on a rocket, so I don't even know if it works on wood.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not sure if its the paint. It appears as though there is a few chips in the actual body.

Cool idea though.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's cool...but i wouldn't know that it was wood if you didn't say it was...

It looks like styrofoam...

DeeLock on