Options

Barebones MP3 Player Advice

DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a portable MP3 player, but I need some advice on make/model for my specific needs.

I have: An MP3 collection of all my CDs (~20GB) on a Linux server only I can access. The MP3s are organized how I like them and have appropriate ID3 tags.

I want: To be able to connect the player to the USB port on the Linux box and sync the directory on the Linux box onto the player. Preferably the MP3 player will appear as a mountable drive. I then want the MP3 player to show me my files in a way that is similar to how they are organized on the Linux box and let me play them.

I can: Write software to do the syncing if necessary.

I don't want: To have to install the crapware that you're "supposed" to use to access the player (iTunes or the like) if I don't have to. I also don't want to have to use hacks or gray-area tools to do this.

I don't care: About video, the ability to record sound, the ability to play Ogg/FLAC, "PlaysForSure", "FairPlay", or other formats.

I would like: To use this player for a long time and so one that I will be able to replace the battery on eventually would be super.

I like: The iPod's clickwheel interface, but as far as I know you can't load stuff onto the iPod except through iTunes or using hacks.

Recommendations?

DrFrylock on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I had similar requirements, and I got an Archos Gmini XS202s.

It has a 20GB capacity, is small (smaller than a cigarette packet), mounts just like a USB hard drive (or at least it can, it's also a "playsforsure" device, you have to disable that in the player options before it'll mount), it has a monchrome screen and the battery life is pretty good.

The interface isn't quite as slick as the iPod, it organises by id3 tag, I have no idea if it will let you maintain a directory structure, and I don't know how one would go about replacing the battery.

The other option I considered was an iPod with the rockbox firmware, but iPods are expensive and I didn't want to instantly invalidate the warranty.

japan on
  • Options
    urchinurchin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    japan wrote:
    I had similar requirements, and I got an Archos Gmini XS202s.

That's exactly what came to my mind. I remember when it first came out it was amazing how small it was for a 20GB player..it's still smaller than you would expect but not shockingly small.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but I'm pretty sure the mp3 player section will maintain directory structure.

urchin on