Options

CF Master Phalla Thread

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To the other Phalla GMs out there...

Is it common to have a head-shaped dent in your desk by halfway through the game? And is it common to want to throttle your players?

Gah I don't think I want to do this ever ever again.*

*yes, i'm probably going to change my mind on that.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    To the other Phalla GMs out there...

Is it common to have a head-shaped dent in your desk by halfway through the game? And is it common to want to throttle your players?

Gah I don't think I want to do this ever ever again.*

*yes, i'm probably going to change my mind on that.

Oh, yes.

Most definitely.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I ran one mini and wanted to slap every one playing, but it was totally worth it.

In my next mini, I will slap every one playing and it will be totally worth it.

edit - damn my grammar sucked.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can't wait until my phalla starts. :whistle:

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah lonely... in my Venture Bros phalla especially I wanted to strangle the inactive specials.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, I'm officially announcing that I managed to [strike]con MrBlarney into[/strike] convince MrBlarney to help run my phalla.

Night Watch: A visiblehowl phalla

Now With Organization and Balance!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, I'm officially announcing that I managed to [strike]con MrBlarney into[/strike] convince MrBlarney to help run my phalla.

Night Watch?

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey visiblehowl where are you staying for PAX

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

Night Watch?

I will kill you so hard.

Day 0 deaths:

Toxic Toys

@Zot: One of the Emerald Suites in the Hyatt.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Ah

I'm staying in the W

• Options
    edited May 2008
    Which Night Watch is this going to be based on?

I heard there were a couple.
    u-boat_night_vision_watch.jpg ?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Day 0.5 Deaths:

Grundlterror

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

No, I think he's talking about Night Watch

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Night Watch?
    Seriously, is this gonna be based on that Russian Movie? I liked that movie

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You guys can go fuck yourselves.

Grundl, it's going to be based on the Russian novels, upon which the movies were based. The novels offer a lot more in terms of story and background, and thus make a better setting for the phalla.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Night Watch?

No, Night Watch
    You shall be saved!

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Night Watch?

No, Night Watch
    You shall be saved!

Hahahaha thats amazing Toxic!

Looking forward to the Phalla though VH, had no idea it was based off a book that had a movie based off it that I had seen. Although it really needs some more backstory because it was pretty tough to understand. Maybe I should get the book.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You guys can go fuck yourselves.

Grundl, it's going to be based on the Russian novels, upon which the movies were based. The novels offer a lot more in terms of story and background, and thus make a better setting for the phalla.

I'm just messing with you - I know your Phalla is going to be awesome and will sign up for my day 0 death.

And Grundl, google is fun!

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Night Watch?

No, Night Watch
    You shall be saved!

Hahahaha thats amazing Toxic!

Looking forward to the Phalla though VH, had no idea it was based off a book that had a movie based off it that I had seen. Although it really needs some more backstory because it was pretty tough to understand. Maybe I should get the book.

You absolutely should, it explains so much about the movies. Day Watch (the movie) especially had a lot of holes that are explained better by the books.

Also, the plot in the book Night Watch (which encompasses Night Watch and Day Watch the movies; confusing I know) is very different from the plot of the movies.

I've been dreaming up some cool stuff for you guys, though, I think it'll be a lot of fun, if I say so myself.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Who did be writing these books, VH? I need new bookds to read.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Sergei Lukyanenko.

There are three that have been translated into English: Night Watch, Day Watch, and Twilight Watch. There's a fourth one that'll be available in English in June. Apparently Merlin's in it!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    hmmmm *copies and pastes that name into my 'important stuff' document* weeeee

I almost wish I could afford to go to PAX this year. maybe next year.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Now With Unnecessary Bureaucracy and Sabotage!

fixed.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Didn't see this in the OP so I'll ask it here. Is it ok for a newbie to jump right into a main phalla, or is it standard for people to play some of the minis first?

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jumping into a main phalla is fine, just be active. :)

You may want to follow along with a phalla or two first to see how they tend to play though. Phalla is not for everybody.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Go with the main phalla first, leave the mini spots for people who will definitely be active and know what playing in a phalla includes.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Vote Closed!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Main phallas are fine, minis are a bit hit and miss as half the time they're made to test out some mechanics for a future main phalla.

but Minis are faster, so I'd recommend those over jumping straight into a main phalla.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Go with the main phalla first, leave the mini spots for people who will definitely be active and know what playing in a phalla includes.

I disagree - I say newbies should jump into a mini first. The mini phallas are small bite size games that get people use to playing and feel important due to the small numbers. A villager in a large game feels like a pebble of sand on the beach.

Minis are a better starting point for newbies. Not to even bring up the complex rule aspect of larger games.

edit - I fail @ spelling.

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I started with those Newbie Phallas... minis and main ones all in that thread.

And then, I jumped into a Main phalla that scared me because of all the complex rules that were like "gaahhhhh i have no idea what's going on!!!"

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vote Closed!

Wrong thread.

durax on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    Didn't see this in the OP so I'll ask it here. Is it ok for a newbie to jump right into a main phalla, or is it standard for people to play some of the minis first?

As folks have already mentioned, there's no real standard at all. Whatever you want to try, go for it.

When I started playing, mini games didn't exist, so I just jumped into a larger game.

The mini allows you to get to know people better and they tend to move a little slower due to both people and abilities offered in the game.

In the end, most games are pretty easy to follow, depending on what you look for.

To keep active, since many roles you can get in the game may not involve much or any behind the scenes planning (proboards, pm conversations etc), treat the thread like a chat thread to be active. You never know, you might trip someone up if you keep talking to people.

Ardor on
  • Options
    ExarchExarch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I've been following the current main one, the Phallactica, and it generally seems understandable so I don't think I'd get lost unless the rules were really crazy. I wouldn't mind being a bit player in a large game either, hell I've been reading the Phallactica thread for fun. Depends on how crazy the next new one is I suppose.

Exarch on
    No gods or kings, only man.
    LoL: BunyipAristocrat
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    durax wrote: »
    Vote Closed!

Wrong thread.

See!?! See how crazy you people are making me! Gahhhhh

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    if it makes you feel any better, I expected nothin' less from you.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Awww obbi.... I feel so loved!!!

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Exarch wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I've been following the current main one, the Phallactica, and it generally seems understandable so I don't think I'd get lost unless the rules were really crazy. I wouldn't mind being a bit player in a large game either, hell I've been reading the Phallactica thread for fun. Depends on how crazy the next new one is I suppose.

Well I look forward to playing with you in the next game, no matter mini or full sized. Just remember getting lynched is a part of Phalla we all go through at some time. New people tend to get spared their 1st few games. But when it happens, don't let it get to you and sign up for the next one.

And don't take the game personally - people are going to fuck with you. And hard, but that's part of the fun. :D

Toxic Toys on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    VH when are we going to see another Phalla Phalla

• Options
    edited May 2008
    VH when are we going to see another Phalla Phalla

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeesh, I dunno. It'd have to be at least a year from now, given the waiting list. I guess I could run it as a mini.

It'll still be awhile, though, because I have to finish making the Night Watch phalla, and then Snow Crash phalla is going to happen within the month and a half over in D&D, so I have to work on that.

Busy busy busy.

Hmm, thinking about it, it would probably work pretty well as a mini. Remind me again sometime after my next two phallas.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.