As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying an MP3 player

korrianderkorriander Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
As of this morning, my credit card debt is officially $0. To celebrate, I want to buy myself a new mp3 player (on a credit card, of course). I haven't paid very much attention to the new ones coming out, though, so I'm a little lost.

I don't really want a touch screen. They seem to have too many problems, die quickly. Having video capacity is all right, but not important at all. Other features are better. I do know I'll be jogging or going to the gym with it, but I definitely don't want a sporty looking one. I probably will buy it from Best Buy or somewhere else with all the extra warranties possible.

Any suggestions?

korriander on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You didn't mention how much storage you need, which is always important.
    The Zune line is quality stuff though, be it the new flash ones or the larger HDD ones.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Minimum 8 gigs. More nice but unnecessary.

korriander on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd get an iPod Shuffle if it's just for the gym and jogging. It's easy to use without looking at it, and sounds ok, weighs bugger all, and is cheap.

Then get something nicer for long journeys and whatever.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd go with an iPod nano. I've had my gen 1 since it was first released, and I have no complaints. I wear it on long bike rides and use it pretty much every day. Its light and has a fairly long battery life. I don't know how the new nanos are, but I figure they're the same if not better.

EDIT:

If you are opposed to Apple products, or are looking for more options, there are several other MP3 Players similar to the nano. Theres the Zune 8 (8gb), the SanDisk Sansa Fuze (2-8gb), and I'm sure there are others, those are just the ones that come to mind.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like my creative zen.

oldsak on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I love my Zune, and would recommend it to anyone. It's got a great interface and really nice customization options

Plus, check out this Zune profile thing in my sig. It's pretty neat.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    oldsak wrote: »
    I like my creative zen.

I was really close to buying one of those, but I replaced my iPod's batteries instead. The new Zens are great compared to Zunes and iPods because they allow you to just drag files onto it from windows.

Doc on
  • Options
    frrserfrrser __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    This is the one - Zune 8GB that i just got, works great for me.

frrser on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't looked a lot, but where are these claims that the Ipod Touch has a short lifespan? I've been looking into getting one.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sony, Apple, Microsoft and Creative have some quality MP3 players.

Sony has the best audio quality out of the four though.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Woodroez wrote: »
    I haven't looked a lot, but where are these claims that the Ipod Touch has a short lifespan? I've been looking into getting one.

I've heard that, too. I have had a couple Ipods of different styles and they all died. Adding a touchscreen is just one more thing that could go wrong.

korriander on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Well, Zune seems to be the general consensus. I'll go take a look around next weekend.

Lock please.

korriander on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    korriander wrote: »
    Well, Zune seems to be the general consensus. I'll go take a look around next weekend.

Lock please.

Make sure to mess around with the Zune software before you buy. People don't have many hardware complaints, but the software kind of blows.

Doc on