As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

energy drinks

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, I picked up a Barq's package at Safeway a couple days ago to look at it... I saw no mention of Caffeine. Are you guys sure it has Caffeine in it? I didn't see it in the ingredients, nor mentioned anywhere on the package. =(

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    KittCandiKittCandi Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmm, I picked up a Barq's package at Safeway a couple days ago to look at it... I saw no mention of Caffeine. Are you guys sure it has Caffeine in it? I didn't see it in the ingredients, nor mentioned anywhere on the package. =(

Not all energy drinks have caffeine in them. I like mine packed with lots of taurine. Mmm... Bile.

KittCandi on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barq's
    Barq's (pronounced /ˈbɑrks/ "Barks") is an American soft drink company. "Barq's" was long the name of the company's signature product, now known as Barq's Famous Olde Tyme Root Beer, a brand of root beer notable for being the only major North American root beer to contain caffeine. It has been bottled since the start of the 20th century and is currently sold by The Coca-Cola Company.

So...yeah, it should have caffeine.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aye, and I've heard that before... but unless I totally missed it, I didn't see it anywhere on the list. They have to list it in the ingredients, right? I was bummed when I didn't see it on the list, but maybe I just missed it. I'll look again tomorrow and report back. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's a very, very small difference between caffeinated Barq's and non-caffeinated. The cans look identical, except on one, in a very small red font above the Nutrition Info, it says "No caffeine." It's easy to miss.

KittCandi: Barq's isn't an energy drink. It's a caffeinated root beer (soda).

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    There's a very, very small difference between caffeinated Barq's and non-caffeinated. The cans look identical, except on one, in a very small red font above the Nutrition Info, it says "No caffeine." It's easy to miss.

KittCandi: Barq's isn't an energy drink. It's a caffeinated root beer (pop).

Fix'd

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »

KittCandi: Barq's isn't an energy drink. It's a caffeinated root beer (sodapop).

Fix'd

super Fix'd

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just noticed that Bawls is STILL not listed as a sponsor on the website.

This saddens me greatly.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    They'll be there. They always are. The PAX website just hasn't been updated in almost two months. I bet they show up with the next update.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If Moe says so, it must be go!

SO SAYS MOE!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    Samurai JackSamurai Jack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Doesn't anyone drink Jolt anymore? The Cola tastes better than Coke or Pepsi. The Cherry Bomb flavor tastes great. The Blue flavor is blue and little sickening. But the Cherry flavor is great.

Samurai Jack on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jolt is the king when it comes to energy drinks that taste good. They actually has 2 different flavors of "blue" they got a raspberry flavor that Walgreens seems to have then they got a cotton candy flavor that is sweet as hell that other places carry. They also got some Tropical flavored drink as well.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think I'll just bring in my new 40 oz Thermos.

Which I will fill with espresso.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

You better carry three packages of Depends with you, too.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

a shot of espresso is 1.5oz....

that's 25.666 shots

an average of 75mg of caffeinne in a shot...

..enjoi the heart attack

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

that's 25.666 shots

..enjoi the heart attack

1.875 grams of caffeine?

Thats nothing.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

that's 25.666 shots

..enjoi the heart attack

1.875 grams of caffeine?

Thats nothing.

Well, technically, it's 1.875 grams more than nothing.

But I guess we can shy away from the geological for this exercise.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's nothing compared to BigRed's normal caffeine intake. Hell, I'll do 2 grams in a day. Gimme the thermos. :P

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I need to get ahold of g33k b33r. Why is it not widely distributed (mostly to me)?

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's nothing compared to BigRed's normal caffeine intake. Hell, I'll do 2 grams in a day. Gimme the thermos. :P

Yes, well, um. It.. goes better with my wardrobe and tendency to lift my pinkie...? :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2008
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    So I need to get ahold of g33k b33r. Why is it not widely distributed (mostly to me)?

because retailers told them to come up with a less retarded name for it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ShigTheNewtShigTheNewt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As an employee at a supplement store I find it best to make my own energy drinks. I have some 250mg caps of Guarana (standardized to 100mg caffeine each) which I add to one dose each of extracts of Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, and raw Adrenal Cortex. Then for flavor I add fruit juice concentrates or something and to make sure the adsorption is at it's utmost I add about an ounce of aloe vera juice.

I make them up in whatever bottles I have on hand and shake well before drinking.
    The Ashwagandha and Rhodiola support the adrenal glands in times of stress (and excess caffeine usage) and the raw adrenal cortex helps your body produce extra adrenaline for those times you really need it.

This formula can be modified as needed to include brain herbs such as ginko biloba or vinpocitine.

oh! and THESE STATEMENTS ARE NOT MEANT TO DIAGNOSE, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE. NOT APPROVED BY THE FDA :P

ShigTheNewt on
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As an employee at a supplement store I find it best to make my own energy drinks. I have some 250mg caps of Guarana (standardized to 100mg caffeine each) which I add to one dose each of extracts of Ashwagandha, Rhodiola, and raw Adrenal Cortex. Then for flavor I add fruit juice concentrates or something and to make sure the adsorption is at it's utmost I add about an ounce of aloe vera juice.

I make them up in whatever bottles I have on hand and shake well before drinking.
    The Ashwagandha and Rhodiola support the adrenal glands in times of stress (and excess caffeine usage) and the raw adrenal cortex helps your body produce extra adrenaline for those times you really need it.

This formula can be modified as needed to include brain herbs such as ginko biloba or vinpocitine.

oh! and THESE STATEMENTS ARE NOT MEANT TO DIAGNOSE, CURE, OR PREVENT ANY DISEASE. NOT APPROVED BY THE FDA :P

Man, you're more hardcore than I'll ever be.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've never actually had bawls energy drink. *waits for gasps to die down* Will it flow like wine at Pax? I'd love to try some. I'm a big root beer fan so the g33k b33r sounds good too. I like Barq's and Dad's but A&W out of the tap at the restaurant is the bomb!

MR.T on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MR.T wrote: »
    I've never actually had bawls energy drink. *waits for gasps to die down* Will it flow like wine at Pax? I'd love to try some. I'm a big root beer fan so the g33k b33r sounds good too. I like Barq's and Dad's but A&W out of the tap at the restaurant is the bomb!

To give a slight derail, botique root beers from tap are downright exquisite, and, barring the availability of that, I heartily endorse bottled Thomas Kemper, Henry Weinhard's, and the deceptively-plain looking IBC.

Back on topic, Bawls is extremely mild in flavor, and while more caffeinated than the average soft drink, it pales next to many of the varieties discussed here. If there's no vendor offering Bawls at PAX (which would surprise me), then I'll definitely have a bottle or two on-hand -- you're free to one. ;)

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I remember Bawls flowing like wine at PAX06, but i dunno what happened to them last year. Anyway I have a recommendation. Power Thirst!
    Here's the "official" advertisement:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

so anyway, aside from that, I'm not too worried about which energy drinks are distributed. The Brawndo logo is on the PAX sponsors list so that's what I'll be looking forward to I guess, though I've never had it before.

EDIT: BTW I had no idea the video would actually show up on here lol!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    I remember Bawls flowing like wine at PAX06, but i dunno what happened to them last year. Anyway I have a recommendation. Power Thirst!
    Here's the "official" advertisement:

so anyway, aside from that, I'm not too worried about which energy drinks are distributed. The Brawndo logo is on the PAX sponsors list so that's what I'll be looking forward to I guess, though I've never had it before.

EDIT: BTW I had no idea the video would actually show up on here lol!

Who do you think brawndo got to do thier videos/commercials? ;)

BigRed on
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yeah i know, i know. That's why I can accept it as the new official drink of PAX, if that is what it is. ;)
    I still wish Power Thirst was, you know, real. XD

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    yeah i know, i know. That's why I can accept it as the new official drink of PAX, if that is what it is. ;)

Powerthirst is crystal meth :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

hey if it keeps me awake and energized for the weekend i'm happy! Although I'm not sure about the whole Power Spawning effect, 400 kids is a bit much :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

hey if it keeps me awake and energized for the weekend i'm happy! Although I'm not sure about the whole Power Spawning effect, 400 kids is a bit much :P

It's ok, just give them Powerthirst and they'll run as fast as Kenyans, they'll race against Kenyans, and it'll be a tie and they'll get deported back to Kenya.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

It's ok, just give them Powerthirst and they'll run as fast as Kenyans, they'll race against Kenyans, and it'll be a tie and they'll get deported back to Kenya.

Or we could have a BBQ.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    HotSake wrote: »

Or we could have a BBQ.

Man that could feed a good number of people. And we can provide the leftovers to Subway. :P

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oz K. Fodrotski, I may take you up on that offer for free Bawls. Just the energy drink, though! :winky:

MR.T on
  • Options
    xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It's like crystal meth in a can

power thirst is like crystal meth

power thirst is crystal meth

xxhennersxx on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Wait, I have to say something here... if this is true, how did "Go Girl" end up on the shelves? Just sayin'. ;)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Wait, I have to say something here... if this is true, how did "Go Girl" end up on the shelves? Just sayin'. ;)

it's a less retarded name than g33k b33r

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I feel like I ought to be shouting "objection" right about now.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I don't know... if Charlemagne's companions were instead an alliance of products with terrible names, g33k b33r and Go Girl would certainly be two of the twelve peers. =)

Granted, I've been poisoned against the very notion of Go Girl's existence based upon their horrible, aweful, consumer-degrading radio commercials. They basically treat women like how Jell-o treated asians in the 50's... which, as you can see, wasn't very good at all: Example: Not a good way to treat a potential customer, except even more perplexing because in this case women are their target audience. It's like slapping someone and telling them that they liked it.

I shudder every time I think of it... ("What's your favorite thing about Go Girl?" "Well, it's pink *giggle*" "Oh, and you're wearing pink!" "Yeah, I am! *giggle*"... DIE)

... but I digress. I had to vent about that one for a second.

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

I feel like I ought to be shouting "objection" right about now.

Go for it, dude!!!!

Garlic Bread on
This discussion has been closed.