As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions, Discussion, Tutorials

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Elaborate.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Elaborate.

telephotoai5.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There seems to be a camera attached to your drill, sir.

Brolo on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit what would you even use that for.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Peeping.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Peeping.

On alien babes.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    Peeping.

On alien babes.

That is actually what I use to watch mayday undress from across the ocean.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wait, what? Is Mayday a girl? Nuh-uh.

Also, what happened to my iPod here? I've dropped it only once and a very long time ago and I take good care of it...

Picture004-1.jpg

Tam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit what would you even use that for.

Nature (wild mammals and birds) and Sports...definately need a big ass lense with a quick f-stop for sports.
    Unfortunately you need to sell your children to own one...which if you don't like kids is win win....for you!

SLR's are good because they offer you more control, with buttons and knobs to immediately control f-stops, shutter speeds and manual focus. I get pissed using a compact these days, they always do shit I don't want them to do and you have to go through 50 fucking different menus to get it set-up how you want and by the time your set the moment has passed....terribly frustrating.

Plus, the option to swap out your lenses is handy....but frustrating and expensive.

Still it's the photographer that makes the photo's not the camera, but good tools always make life easier.

Mustang on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    I don't see a practical use for anything above 600mm, really. If you can't get close enough to something that you need 1200mm, then you shouldn't be a photographer.

bombardier on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How do you make non-destructible objects in Flash CS3?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't see a practical use for anything above 600mm, really. If you can't get close enough to something that you need 1200mm, then you shouldn't be a photographer.

Male_lion.jpg

Besides, shooting with a big arse lense like that is one of the hardest things you can do as a photographer. You need 'Steely eyed missile-man' status to hold one of those puppies on target. And Schwarzneggar like arms to carry one around.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Squirrel NinjaSquirrel Ninja Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey AC. I seem to screw up drawing mouths every time, something about the lips always looks wrong. Any tips?

Squirrel Ninja on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Grab some pictures of people and draw their mouths.

MKR on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PHP / Web Question:

So I code with HTML and CSS in Textedit, but I thought about learning PHP so I could update the look of sites easily without having to recode every page. Is PHP fairly easy to learn, from say a book? Is it easier to use some sort of program for PHP? Or is there a better alternative for a fairly simple Web site?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    NibCrom wrote: »
    PHP / Web Question:

So I code with HTML and CSS in Textedit, but I thought about learning PHP so I could update the look of sites easily without having to recode every page. Is PHP fairly easy to learn, from say a book? Is it easier to use some sort of program for PHP? Or is there a better alternative for a fairly simple Web site?

http://www.php.net/manual/

and

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-Nutshell-OReilly-Paul-Hudson/dp/0596100671/

MKR on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So in photoshop I have some text that is black. I want it to be outlined in white, how do I go about doing that?

I have looked up some peoples explanations on google but they all seem way to complicated for what I want to do. I am using 7.0 if that makes a difference.

Well, I just copied the text layer, moved that layer under the orignal, made it white instead of black, and increased the font size by one. Seems to be doing the trick. I still think there is another way to do this that actually evolves the original text.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Right click on the text layer and select Blending Options from the popup menu. The option you're looking for is "Stroke". If you just check the box, you'll get limited control over the stroke options, click on the words to open up a controls menu in that same window that allows you to manipulate color, size and... what ever you want.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks MKR. Now all I have to do is learn it!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey AC. I seem to screw up drawing mouths every time, something about the lips always looks wrong. Any tips?

Once you follow MKR's essential advice here's a tut to get you going in digital

http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754329921646766/paint-realistic-looking-lips.html

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Right click on the text layer and select Blending Options from the popup menu. The option you're looking for is "Stroke". If you just check the box, you'll get limited control over the stroke options, click on the words to open up a controls menu in that same window that allows you to manipulate color, size and... what ever you want.

hmmm.. I'll have to try that too. Usually I put the text on a layer by its self, select the layer, then expand the selection by a few pixels put a layer beneath the text and fill it with the outline color.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

hmmm.. I'll have to try that too. Usually I put the text on a layer by its self, select the layer, then expand the selection by a few pixels put a layer beneath the text and fill it with the outline color.

Waaay to complicated. Use stroke, much more versatile. If you don't know how to use layer masks, you should learn that too.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What would i have to do to make baked sculpy look like weathered metal?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Buy magical weathered metal spraypaint?

Mangoes on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Question about 2-D Computer Animation: Besides Flash

Hi for those who are knowledgeable in this area. Have there been any good 2-d animated films/anime oavs/etc. done primarily with the computer?

I'm aware of digital inking and painting being widely employed- but I wasn't sure about any that did the actual sequence drawings using a tablet (instead of being hand-drawn).

I'm currently debating about taking a 2-d computer class (After Effects is the primary tool used) - as I was wondering what kind of results I could potentially get.

If anyone has any input - e.g. if it will always pale greatly in comparison to hand-drawn unless you are doing something like Fosters , etc.

It would be greatly appreciated :)

Egos on
  • Options
    AKComicAKComic Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Hi! I hope I'm posting this in the right location; if not, please let me know.

I'm looking to hire (yes, that's right - PAID work; I'm not one of these guys just looking for a freebie! :P) an artist for a very small job at first, although I'm hoping it'll lead to more regular work in the near future. I already hired a local guy for $50 to handle the job for me... and it's been 3 weeks and a dozen excuses so far. I've just about given up on him, so I've turned here to find somebody else!

I run a reasonably large website (35k+ visitors a month) that's about to undergo a massive redesign, due in large part to the fact that I'm tired of catering to thousands of people and not making any money at it. :winky: While my designer is changing everything around, I decided I'd also like to make a change to the logo, too - I'm currently just using a public domain image, and I'd rather have something that's uniquely us.

For now, all I'm looking for is just one character drawing to start with, done in Photoshop with a "Penny Arcade" style flair (hence the reason I'm looking here for an artist first), that I can use for a main logo. Additionally, I'd prefer to work with someone who will be available on a continuing basis, as I'm hoping to hire them again a few months down the road to do additional drawings of the same "mascot" character for other sections of the site, etc. I can't afford much, as this is coming out of pocket and most of my meager funds have already gone to pay the site designer, but I'm not asking anyone to work for free, either - oh, and of course I'll be happy to drop a link to your work too!

If you're interested, please send me some samples (bonus if you've got anything with monkeys! Not necessary, though) and your rates, and I'll get back to you with the details. Thanks!

- Ken

AKComic on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm having trouble shrinking down the proportions of an image. The height and width of it when I'm done scanning and doing my work, and converting to 72 dpi for the web, is in the ballpark of 350 by 900. I need it closer to 300 by 700, but when I do this it just throws everything out of whack.

Please help. I'm using CS3

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm having trouble shrinking down the proportions of an image. The height and width of it when I'm done scanning and doing my work, and converting to 72 dpi for the web, is in the ballpark of 350 by 900. I need it closer to 300 by 700, but when I do this it just throws everything out of whack.

Please help. I'm using CS3

You can't make an image smaller and just throw in random dimensions. The ratio between the height and width have to remain the same. Try making the image smaller with a percentage, rather than by pixels. There should be a drop down menu next to the dimensions that allows for pixels, inches, etc. Go for the percentage, and keep the "constrain proportions" button checked.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Like ND said, keeping proportions is paramount! You can try using the IMAGE>CANVAS SIZE option (not IMAGE SIZE) to reduce the image to the pixel width and height you want without changing the proportions. But this would act more like a crop than a resize.

I guess it would depend on the information the image has, why not post it?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey all-

I've had the same trusty little A5 wacom tablet for going on 5 years now, and although it's been brilliant, it's starting to age a little and develop a bit of a shake when drawing. I'm thinking about getting a new one, how much can I expect to fork out for an A4 size whatever the hell is decent mid-ranged wacom tablet these days?

Also, are there any cheaper non-wacom tablets that are half decent these days?

Floofy on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Floofy wrote: »
    Hey all-

I've had the same trusty little A5 wacom tablet for going on 5 years now, and although it's been brilliant, it's starting to age a little and develop a bit of a shake when drawing. I'm thinking about getting a new one, how much can I expect to fork out for an A4 size whatever the hell is decent mid-ranged wacom tablet these days?

Also, are there any cheaper non-wacom tablets that are half decent these days?

http://www.wacom-shop.net/cgi-bin/wacom.storefront/EN/Product/PTZ-930G

And the answer to your second question is "no."

Grifter on
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hah, I figured. Aren't monopolies glorious? (looking at you too, Adobe.)

Floofy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Floofy wrote: »
    Hah, I figured. Aren't monopolies glorious? (looking at you too, Adobe.)

There are tons of tablets out there, just no good competitors.

MKR on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Like ND said, keeping proportions is paramount! You can try using the IMAGE>CANVAS SIZE option (not IMAGE SIZE) to reduce the image to the pixel width and height you want without changing the proportions. But this would act more like a crop than a resize.

I guess it would depend on the information the image has, why not post it?

It's just the newest comic (i made a webcomic thread). They're on 8x14 sheets with custom boxes. I draw and ink in those, then scan and add word bubbles, etc. Obviously I don't add all the white space, just the 3x12 strip itself. I scan it at 600, add my stuff, do the threshold adjustments, etc. Then convert to 72 dpi. I've been converting them to 300 by 700 afterwards and it was alright for the first two, but really noticeably off on the third.

The only reason I was making them 300 by 700 was because the main page itself was 720, but I just increased it to 900 and let the comics adjust proportionately when I convert to 72 dpi.

I hate learning photoshop.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ShadowMaximusShadowMaximus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was wondering what you all think is a good program for animating cartoons. I have a newer mac and I want to make some sweet animations.

Thanks you guys!

ShadowMaximus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I hate learning photoshop.

Learning photoshop does not equal learning user friendliness. This you do on your own.

I mention this because your sizes are odd. Is there a reason why you picked those sizes for your comics? It seems that you're basing them around your web page design, and not around your users. Though most people will run resolutions higher than 800px x 600px, there is still a large group of users that will be turned off if they have side scroll to read your strip.

I'd make them under 800px, just in case.

EDIT:
    Look at the PA strips, they're all 750px wide for a reason.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I could use some help with my scanner, I've got a decent portrait, by my standards hur hur, but my scanner goes through an odd process before finally delivering a washed out version of what I drew.

First off, the program gives a quick "preview" of the scanned page- and it looks very much like how I drew it, but at a miniature scale. It only only shows this for a second, then suddenly the preview image goes... washed out. Most of the shading disappears leaving only the darkest, and what looked fine on the page looks mottled and scribbled. It's an HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-One, and the program I'm using is HP Solution Center. Any advice? Is there a setting to change?

Mightyhog on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Your scanning program might have some 'advanced' options where you can adjust brightness/contrast or at least DPI and the "kind" of scan it is -- ie, pen, pencil, newsprint, magazine, etc -- these could be helpful presets in getting a better scan.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, what? Is Mayday a girl? Nuh-uh.

Also, what happened to my iPod here? I've dropped it only once and a very long time ago and I take good care of it...

Picture004-1.jpg

Looks like the screen is fucked up.
    If it still plays music and you don't really care about that, then keep using it.

If not then try trading it in to an apple store for a new one, or buy a zune because they're delicious.
    =]

teehee114.jpg
    teehee115.jpg

XAL on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My warranty's up and I want a touch thingie and I can't afford anything right now.

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.