Options

Don't mess with [chat]

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Last time we had a religion vs. non-religious evil people are thread, I was actually on MSN with someone from here proxying arguments through them onto the forum.

I didn't feel like asking the Cat or Thanatos to unban me, so I just argued in proxy.

Good times.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Church wrote: »
    I don't like Buddhism because it seems to be based on the idea that my personal ambitions are a bad thing.

It's not so much that they're bad as that they don't amount to a hill of beans in the long run

Really, if you boil away all the cultural accretion all buddhism says is "Hey, you know how shit is like always changing, most of the shit you stress about turns out to be pointless in the long run, and you're 100% going to die? And you know how people pretend like none of that is true and get all angsty if confronted with reality? If you pulled your head out of your ass and just made your peace with the facts you'd be less stressed about shit".

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    How's it goin', folks?

WHATS SHAKEN HUH?

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How's it goin', folks?

Armchair-psychologist my last post, Feral: What are the odds I'll die in prison?

100:i

taking bets now.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I dislike Buddhism because, like any religion, the actual adherents where it is popular have turned it into a dogmatic pile of nonsense, but that's not the real reason

I am really at odds with any spiritual belief that praises retreat and distance from the material world, an abandonment of human things, transcendence, etc etc, which i see as cowardly, dehumanizing, and utterly useless

the only thing worse is the idea of worship, which is a disgusting and dehumanizing thing in itself. it's no wonder pride is the worst mortal sin in Christianity.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm sleepy

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    I don't like Buddhism because it seems to be based on the idea that my personal ambitions are a bad thing.

It's not so much that they're bad as that they don't amount to a hill of beans in the long run

Really, if you boil away all the cultural accretion all buddhism says is "Hey, you know how shit is like always changing, most of the shit you stress about turns out to be pointless in the long run, and you're 100% going to die? And you know how people pretend like none of that is true and get all angsty if confronted with reality? If you pulled your head out of your ass and just made your peace with the facts you'd be less stressed about shit".

you call it buddhism, I call it marijuana.

Variable on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jeeps, I don't think religion is remotely required to have a purposeful and/or meaningful life.

I'm not religious and my life is purposeful and meaningful.

So uh, there you go.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ChurchChurch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    HAH HAH HAH

No.

Your narrow mindset refuses to accept that faith has any positive qualities, that religion has anything worthwhile to contribute. You feel so strongly about this that you insult people who feel differently and attack their beliefs. An obsessive belief on your part that religion and faith have to be destroyed in order for reason to govern science, research and other valuable endeavors is pure ignorance, and is in no way rational or scientific.

Rationality, science, etc. produce results with infinitely greater accuracy than religious reasoning. This is a fact.

So, yeah, it's not ignorance. It's actually the opposite.

What great leaps has science made lately in explaining the purpose of life? What has science taught us about how to live a meaningful life?

Let me introduce you to my friend, Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang...

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Variable wrote: »

potato, potato

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

pretty much yeah

although if a dude has some serious complaints about what the establishment of buddhism has done in a lot of countries i think that's a legit belief

there's been some fucked up shit

not as much as say, christianity or islam

but it ain't like buddhism is blameless

Pony on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It must be nice to be able to take everything bad about non-religion and say that it is, in fact, religious when you are busy attacking religion.

The irony is that so many of the views of the most ardent evangelical atheists are more like religion than unlike.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How's it goin', folks?

WHATS SHAKEN HUH?

oh dang. We're not doing the improv class in augst as it runs for two weeks for some reason, and that's way too long for us to stay there.

Plannin' to hit NYC at some point though.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I am really at odds with any spiritual belief that praises retreat and distance from the material world, an abandonment of human things, transcendence, etc etc, which i see as cowardly, dehumanizing, and utterly useless
    Either you don't know a lot about buddhism, or you're confusing it with taoism, which is the mountain hermit religion.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Jeeps, I don't think religion is remotely required to have a purposeful and/or meaningful life.

So uh, there you go.

i do believe it is a requirement for some people

speaking from personal experience on this one

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

potato, potato

let's call the whole thing "a delicious mix of salt and sweet"

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I call bullshit on this whole notion of "what you do in life doesn't amount to stuff in the long run."

Look at the discussion we are having tonight, how long ago did people write the bible? Yeah. That didn't have any long lasting effects.

I mean, sure, if you stretch out the long run long enough, the effect depreciates, but, individuals can still have a fucking huge effect.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

They matter to me, though. That's what matters. What the hell does my life matter if I don't get what I want?

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy you know what

you're a pretty okay dude

Pony on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hahaha holy shit. I think I just same in at the right time in this movie.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Pony wrote: »

So uh, there you go.

don't you feel like you're lowering yourself? you need something to give meaning to your life that some people don't need? honest question.

Variable on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What great leaps has science made lately in explaining the purpose of life? What has science taught us about how to live a meaningful life?

Reason and science are actually really bad at dealing with spiritual concerns. Your way around this seems to be an insistence that spiritual concerns are of no concern. But you don't get to pick what matters are of concern for others, and when you try and insist on it it makes you sound like a fascist. I prefer to think of you as ignorant in the area of spiritual concerns, but if you'd prefer to be a fascist then that's OK too.

Science does not have a way to deal with something that there is no evidence for whatsoever.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

So uh, there you go.

Oh, I don't deny that some people want/need/are better off with religion.

I just dislike the notion that religion can improve EVERYBODY. Some people just plain don't need it.

I have become a much better, more fully actualized human being after I shed my religion, so that's just my personal experience.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

So uh, there you go.

Uh oh, strawman.

I don't know how you got from "religion helps many people bring purpose and meaning to their lives" to "religion is required to bring purpose and meaning to any life.

I really don't. Nice strawman though.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    How's it goin', folks?

Armchair-psychologist my last post, Feral: What are the odds I'll die in prison?

100:i

taking bets now.

I'd put it all on me hanging myself in my cell, but I wouldn't want other people that don't deserve it claiming the winnings once I'm dead.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    HAH HAH HAH

No.

Your narrow mindset refuses to accept that faith has any positive qualities, that religion has anything worthwhile to contribute. You feel so strongly about this that you insult people who feel differently and attack their beliefs. An obsessive belief on your part that religion and faith have to be destroyed in order for reason to govern science, research and other valuable endeavors is pure ignorance, and is in no way rational or scientific.

Rationality, science, etc. produce results with infinitely greater accuracy than religious reasoning. This is a fact.

So, yeah, it's not ignorance. It's actually the opposite.

Reason and science are actually really bad at dealing with spiritual concerns. Your way around this seems to be an insistence that spiritual concerns are of no concern. But you don't get to pick what matters are of concern for others, and when you try and insist on it it makes you sound like a fascist. I prefer to think of you as ignorant in the area of spiritual concerns, but if you'd prefer to be a fascist then that's OK too.

Spiritual concerns exist only in the head of the individuals that talk about them, and that's pretty much it. Pick two people and ask them to define that phrase and you'll get two different definitions.

And science infers no purpose or meaning because their is no such thing as purpose or meaning except as an individual perceives it. My purpose is different from your purpose, but it doesn't come from some deity or gnomes or faeries or any of that other crap.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It must be nice to be able to take everything bad about non-religion and say that it is, in fact, religious when you are busy attacking religion.

The irony is that so many of the views of the most ardent evangelical atheists are more like religion than unlike.
    I could launch into a vicious diatribe on the prevalence of non-critical thought in modern society but somehow religion might feel it's not included in this analysis nor the greatest perpetrator of its acceptance.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

So uh, there you go.

don't you feel like you're lowering yourself? you need something to give meaning to your life that some people don't need? honest question.

no.

i can see where you are coming from on this.

some dudes can walk just fine on their own.

but some dudes gotta walk with a cane. i'm comfortable admitting that, in many ways, my faith is a crutch i use to function.

but without it, i'd limp along pretty bad.

i've been there, i've done that limpin', and it ain't nice.

now, it's easy for you or anyone else to sit there and say "if you just toss the crutch away, you'll be fine! walk!"

but let me tell you, that ain't how it goes.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

They matter to me, though. That's what matters. What the hell does my life matter if I don't get what I want?
    But you'll either never get what you want, or get it and then lose it. Either way, you'll end up in the same state.

This isn't to advocate the complete opposite, abandoning ambition and sitting on a couch smoking weed, but there's no lasting hapiness to be found in transitory achievements.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

no.

but some dudes gotta walk with a cane. i'm comfortable admitting that, in many ways, my faith is a crutch i use to function.

now, it's easy for you or anyone else to sit there and say "if you just toss the crutch away, you'll be fine! walk!"

not much I can say to that.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I want a good science fight. Talking about religion is like trying to race snails. You do get somewhere eventually, it just takes 100 pages and involves the word "cock".

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Honestly, any time I talk about spiritual things, I'm basically doing so from the perspective of a Dungeon Master.

I can actually slip into Dungeons and Dragons mythos in a serious religious conversation and the religious people don't notice.

It's pretty hilarious.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Science does not have a way to deal with something that there is no evidence for whatsoever.

Of course not. Science is not for that.

Can you not accept that religion and science are two different things, and that they fulfill very different needs for people?

And is anyone actually fucking stupid enough to accuse me of saying that religion can or should substitute for scientific inquiry?

God I hope no one is that stupid.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

But you'll either never get what you want, or get it and then lose it. Either way, you'll end up in the same state.

Dead? That's fine, I won't know the difference when I'm a corpse.

Church on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Can you not accept that religion and science are two different things, and that they fulfill very different needs for people?

And is anyone actually fucking stupid enough to accuse me of saying that religion can or should substitute for scientific inquiry?

jeep correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that religion can or should be substituted for scientific inquiry?

Variable on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Uh oh, strawman.

I don't know how you got from "religion helps many people bring purpose and meaning to their lives" to "religion is required to bring purpose and meaning to any life.

I really don't. Nice strawman though.

That's what you said. In a science versus religion debate, this would seem to indicate that you think religion has made great leaps about explaining the purpose of life or how to lead a meaningful life.

Now, maybe i misinterpreted what you said, but you weren't exactly crystal clear so don't be a dick, k?

Are we including philosophy/sociology/psychology under the veil of sciences? ie, social sciences? If so, science has taught us plenty about leading lives with meaning and purpose. :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I want a good science fight. Talking about religion is like trying to race snails. You do get somewhere eventually, it just takes 100 pages and involves the word "cock".
    I've always wondered if it was technically possible to stab someone to death with your penis.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    no.

So what you're saying is that you agree with the notion that lesser people need to have bullshit fed to them whereas better people can actually live through reality.

Works for me.

Humanism for the ignorant masses, ethical egoism for people who know what the fuck they're doing without being led by the nose.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

jeep correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that religion can or should be substituted for scientific inquiry?

oh you

Pony on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

This came to mind just now for some reason.

Aegeri on
This discussion has been closed.