As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How much time do you spend gaming?

2»

• Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Smudge wrote:
    My meaning was that I have seen a lot of lifetime gamers with women who just hated gaming and would get pissed off at them every time they tried to play at all. That is insane. If you're a gamer, your wife/gf should at least understand the draw of the games and not be jealous of them.
    That part is terribly, terribly true -- I think I may have miscontrued what you had said, but I've just seen a ton of faceless Internet people dole out "Ditch the bitch and play games for hours" advice and it's a kneejerk reaction.

My wife doesn't game, but she understands that it's a major hobby of mine, much like a movie buff or a bookworm. I'm also one of those guys that really can't focus on a coversation or much of anything else while gaming, so I've learned to have mostly discrete "time with wife" and "time with gaming" chunks because, if I blend the two and she's not playing with me, one gets shortchanged. The relationship with my first girlfriend suffered greatly before I came to this conclusion. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NaromNarom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If I had to hazard an estimate, I'd say...like one to two hours a day on average.

Narom on
    <cursive>Narom</cursive>
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I can normally talk while gaming, so most people who know me (and I know I won't be giving off a rude vibe to) don't mind if I'm playing a a game while talking to them.

The only game I CANNOT talk and play is Elite Beat Agents. Something about the part of my brain use while playing that game makes it so I am absolutely incapable of speaking to anyone without either being totally incoherent or losing the game. I want a cognitive scientist to look in to this because I generally think of myself as an excellent multitasker, and that game rapes me up and down if I try to do anything else while playing.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Smudge wrote:
    My meaning was that I have seen a lot of lifetime gamers with women who just hated gaming and would get pissed off at them every time they tried to play at all. That is insane. If you're a gamer, your wife/gf should at least understand the draw of the games and not be jealous of them.
    That part is terribly, terribly true -- I think I may have miscontrued what you had said, but I've just seen a ton of faceless Internet people dole out "Ditch the bitch and play games for hours" advice and it's a kneejerk reaction.

My wife doesn't game, but she understands that it's a major hobby of mine, much like a movie buff or a bookworm. I'm also one of those guys that really can't focus on a coversation or much of anything else while gaming, so I've learned to have mostly discrete "time with wife" and "time with gaming" chunks because, if I blend the two and she's not playing with me, one gets shortchanged. The relationship with my first girlfriend suffered greatly before I came to this conclusion. :P

This is very well put. I work a radio morning show, so I get up at 3am, and am in bed by 10. I also have to nap about 2 hours in the afternoon to function at all in the evening. From about 2 or 3pm to when my wife gets home from work at about 5 or 6 is my gaming time. Sometimes it extends into the evening, as well, but after supper until bed time is usually our time to do whatever together. Every now and then it's gaming, but not usually, and I'm fine with that. I get my time in the afternoon, and on weekends.

Also, the comment about playing less when you have too much to choose from is totally true! I thought I was the only one who got the mental block when there were too many choices. It's a weird condition.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    depends for me. Some weeks I play for about 2-5 hours. Some weeks I don't play at all.

That's how school does ya

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Only a few hours actually playing, but many hours perusing the internet for game and technology related stuff. I think to myself, man, I could be playing EVE right now, making isk, but then I usually get distracted by something else and never close Firefox for more than a minute or two.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I typically game maybe 20 hours a week. 2 nights a week I play WoW, and most other weeknights I don't game and then pick up some time on the weekends.

I find it absolutely critical to my mental alacrity to be in bed by 11:30, and I usually try to be in bed by 11 so I can read for a while.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    BrueBrue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I am in the very common habit, at least of fellow posters, of perusing the internet and staring at my games. I am very busy but I always find time to waste on the internet. I really need to focus and play some of the games I have. Like the OP I have TP and I haven't put it into my Wii once. I guess thats what school, a full time job, a girlfriend, exercise, and the internet due to your free time. Oh ya I am a solo in my apartment so weekends are cleaning time... ya so officially I shouldnt have enough time to eat, but unofficially firefox pwns me 3 hours a night every night.

Brue on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm currently taking a year off after high school and I don't have a job yet, so I spend a few hours per day gaming. When something like TP comes out it's often 5-6 hours per day.

bruin on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    <-- 23 yr old single father still living with his parents, with bi weekly custody of the wee(wii?)-one

Up at 6:30 to go to work, home at 4.

On the weeks I don't have said daughter: About 30+ hours a week, I really don't like the fact that it's that much time, but theres shit-all to do in this town and no one to do it with :cry:

On the weeks I do: About 14, 2 Hours or so of Wii/DS/WoW after I put her to bed and then it's bed time for me.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    Resident0Resident0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your wife does the housework every day?

You lazy ass. 'divorce divorce lol'

Resident0 on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    work 4-6 days a week, 2-3 hours a night after work for games, spend my days off with the girlfriend. We usually play the wii though or DDR or ITG or smash brothers. so, alot of time is spent gaming.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    A lot more than I should.

TheBog on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Your need for sex makes you slaves to your women! Simple humans.

Anyway, a group of us usually get on around 11 or 12 am and go till 2 am playing DOTA, Warcraft 3, etc.

Other than that...sometimes i'll squeeze single player stuff in through out the day like okami, or just replace the 11/12 am meeting with a console/handheld game.

Back in the day I used to do competitive source and that was about 3-4 hours a day...made some cashes though. Now I just do video editing and stuff for CS haha.

So yeah...3 hours a day...4-5 days a week...comes out to about 15-25 hours depending on what's happening (i.e. gaming with friends on the weekend at my house).

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Archebaldo wrote:
    Me too. Is it that common to find a girl that is into gaming or at least watching you game?

HA HA HA! No! That's like finding one that doesn't talk incessantly about stupid shit that you don't give a fuck about. Silence is their enemy.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DS: 30minutes-1 hour or so daily.
    Tending to animal crossing stuff and playing a level or two in Yoshi's island, or a bit of FFV is all really.

Wii: 2-4 hours on random days. Maybe 4 days a week.
    I only have one set of rechargable betteries so when they are low, it takes about two day to recharge and be usable again. I should really buy another pack.

PC- maybe 2 hours a night, twice a week.
    Sims or PSU, I can't sit in this uncomfortable chair too long.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Currently, I game whenever I'm not reading this forum or don't have to do the housework since I'm a househubby. :D
    In the future when I plan to get an apprenticeship it'll cut down, but I bought a ds for work travelling and lunchtime so hopefully it wont go down too far. Although currently I've found playing the ds when you go out while also playing all day on a computer or ps2 is a little too much electronic entertainment. You need some breaks. So I only play the ds when I go on a long trip or to a particularly boring place. Otherwise I just play it at home instead of the pc.
    Amazingly, I often go out for short trips and leave the portable device at home.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    One or two hours a day.

Sanius on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lunker wrote:
    Doronron wrote:
    I'd also consider forum surfing to be about the same as gaming
    I'd wager a majority of us actually post on here more than actually playing games. :P

Quite true, but probably mainly because I will not game at work. I've also managed to acquire the habit of surfing when I'm in a gaming lull. Such as now.

Having recently beaten NWN2 and Republic Commando, I don't have anything in my library I have a driving urge to play, and there's nothing currently out I need to acquire.

My time is now divided between getting some writing done and working on a Civ4 mod.

I'd rather write, but I'm fucking dreaming about that damn mod. As in one of those uncontrollable fever dreams you don't want but have anyway.

Spent most of today looking at Civfanatics while Word was open in the background waiting for me to put down at least one scene.

Damn it.

EDIT: Actually, some of this was a lie. I did spend something like 16 hours over Saturday and Sunday this last weekend on Fate. It was entirely too easy to say 'I'll just clear these three quests, then duck down to the entrance of the next level.' Then it's 'what the hell, let's see if there's a fish guy that'll have something to make my pet stronger.' Followed by, 'Shit, I'm about to level, so I'll just play a little more to get the next stats'. All of the sudden, 'Fuck I just died!' Then it takes another two hours to grind back to the location I died so I can try and quit. Fucking thing. It's getting removed from the drive tonight. I can't lose another full weekend to a game that doesn't actually end.

Doronron on
  • Options
    WillyFourEyesWillyFourEyes Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I game somewhere between 12 and 18 hours per week. Most of that time is done on weekends, when I can actually get sufficient time to play my PS2 and Gamecube. Sometimes I add a an hour or two to that range if I take my DS to and from work.

WillyFourEyes on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    About an hour a day is right for me. If I do any more than that I feel like I should be writing or working or reading or something. Besides, I always feel like experiences such as Zelda should be savoured.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incidentally, I managed to get in about 45mins of Rayman last night with the flatmate. That was rare and enjoyable! She's far FAR too good at the one's where you have to move both controllers vigorously up and down.

Oh and I have no friggin' idea how you do that one on the beach with the radios, I spent ages on it. My wiimote doesn't seem to like to make the punching/kicking movements.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    School, work, friends and relationships eat up most of my time. From Wii to Super Nintendo, they can go for like, a week without being touched. It all depends on the games. Bomberman will get picked up everytime friends are over, and if a new Zelda game is out, school, work and everything else is put on the back burner for a week or so.

I think the worst part is, now with the internet and entire communities devoted to the hobby at my fingertips, I spend more time talking or reading about gaming than actuall doing it. Completely redundant.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    beanobeano Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Traveling to and from work by train gives me an average of one hour of play on my DS every day. The amount of time I play at home on my Wii or Xbox 360 varies a lot but at the moment it's also close to an hour on average. I remember spending at least double that amount of time a day on games when I was in school. :oops:

beano on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lately I've been spending probably an average of 4 hours a day gaming. Some days as much as 5-8, some days none at all. It depends on my work schedule, how often I'm being social, whether I want to read a book instead.

Aside from work, I haven't had a ton of responsibility the past few months, and being woefully single makes it all too easy to waste away at the computer. I'd much rather be spending time with friends or a girlfriend, but my friends are gradually moving away, getting married, having kids, etc. And I don't got no girl at the moment.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Lately I've been spending probably an average of 4 hours a day gaming. Some days as much as 5-8, some days none at all. It depends on my work schedule, how often I'm being social, whether I want to read a book instead.

Aside from work, I haven't had a ton of responsibility the past few months, and being woefully single makes it all too easy to waste away at the computer. I'd much rather be spending time with friends or a girlfriend, but my friends are gradually moving away, getting married, having kids, etc. And I don't got no girl at the moment.

After graduating from college and moving to the job, my social life was pretty much nil. I had old buddies back at school I'd call, and a few coworkers as acquaintances. As gaming is largely a single-player thing for me, for a while I spent a lot of time by myself.

It's changed some since then, though. It required gaining a new set of habits. I've begun to try and get back into tabletop gaming (one socially unacceptable hobby to an even more socially unacceptable hobby, YAY!), but it at least has me spending time with others.

I've got one group of regulars online, and we've all become pretty good friends -- kinda lucked out on that. Locally, I recently ran into an old high school buddy, and we've been trying to pull together a regular tabletop group.

One minor snag, though. Most of my contemporaries are married, so my chances of hooking up with a girl anytime soon are unlikely unless the social circles I'm involved in happen to have some unattached women I've not yet been introduced to, and people get the bright idea to try and set me up with one of them.

Of course, October - January, it's a pain in the ass to get anything going due to other commitments. That's why I've been buried in video games, but should've been writing.

Doronron on