As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] Has Many Threads, but this is the Main one.

• Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Found the skill challenge for KOTS.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080522b

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So for sword and board warriors now how important is wis vs. con I always thought con was really important but it doesn't seem to influence as much as it used to.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How does the lighting work in maptool? If I open up some png / jpeg maps i've built in Photoshop, how does it know what is flat & what is solid etc? Is that even an option or do you have to build your map inside the tool itself?

I'm trying to determine whether to use PShop or Maptool or something to display my final maps to my players. Any input?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So for sword and board warriors now how important is wis vs. con I always thought con was really important but it doesn't seem to influence as much as it used to.

I'd say wis is more important to really get the mileage out of all your pushing stuff.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Is there a good online directory of retailers? I'm trying to find one near my friend's house and searching for "game store" gets me a bunch of gamestops, and "hobby store" gives me guys who sell model trains.

You're in a REALLY good spot by the way if you intend on playing any RPGA stuff. Kansas is Moonshae Isles and Missouri is Waterdeep, so you have the chance to actively participate in two regions.

Here's the Yahoo! groups for each region if you are at all interested.

Moonshae Isles (CO, ID, KS, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WY)

Waterdeep (IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI)

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's not really working. Argh. The thing is, I know I saw something like this somewhere - if not on the WOTC site then something like it.

What were you looking for?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Arkady wrote: »

I'd say wis is more important to really get the mileage out of all your pushing stuff.

You also getting your wisdom as a bonus to hit on opportunity attacks.

But, on the other hand, more healing surges is always a good thing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fuck Quizzy come back here.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Having trouble finding something in the PHB, specifically the prices of special armors in the Armor table(Feyleather Armor, Warplate Armor) I can't seem to find it in the Magic Armor section and I have no idea where to look. Or is the price based off some crazy table or something?

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Having trouble finding something in the PHB, specifically the prices of special armors in the Armor table(Feyleather Armor, Warplate Armor) I can't seem to find it in the Magic Armor section and I have no idea where to look. Or is the price based off some crazy table or something?

basically, the default armor value of armor of that enhancement bonus is higher than normal.

so, for example

all +4 Cloth Armor also has an Armor bonus of +1, for being Feyweave.

this is already factored into the prices of those armors, if you notice there's a really dramatic difference in price between +3 Barkskin Armor and +4 Barkskin Armor. Like, one is five times the price of the other for only a +1 enhancement bonus of difference.

It's because +4 Hide Armor is also Darkhide, and has a higher armor bonus (+4 vs. +3 for regular Hide).

So the difference between +3 and +4 Hide Armor is actually 2 points, rather than just 1.

Pony on
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    <Stuff about Masterwork armor.

I was pretty confused about this as well - so confused in fact that I asked Wizards about it.

Here's what went down:
    I don't understand how masterwork armor works

The Minimum Enhancement bonus implies that magic armor of that enhancement bonus either must be or may be that armor type.

For example, Warplate Armor. Is a suit of Warplate armor always at least a +15 to AC? Likewise, is a suit of +4 Plate armor always Warplate armor? Can I find a suit of +4 Plate armor?

To clarify, is a suit of +4 Magic Plate Armor always at least a +15 bonus to AC?

Appreciate any response.

Wizards responded with:
    Thank you for writing. You could make just a set of "Magic Armor" as described on page 230 of the Player's Handbook, but the other levels of armor are listed for personalization. You could create a suit of +4 regular plate if you'd like, but why not make it Warplate? You could make a +6 Warplate, but why not make it Godplate? In the end the options are there to make it Normal, or Dwarven, or Battleforged or whatever, as long as you pay the costs involved. Essentially there is no maximum to the enhancement bonus.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Good Gaming!

Maticore on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So are they going to release an additional five thousand books like they did with other editions?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So are they going to release an additional five thousand books like they did with other editions?

They already have the entire line planned out IIRC. Tome of Treasures, Martial Power, and Manual of the Planes are all planned out for this year.

I think forgotten realms is coming out too?

So in essence, yes.

Maticore on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

current release schedule is actually frustratingly light

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No oriental adventures?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Actually, I want to be a fucking monk.

When can I be a monk.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Actually, I want to be a fucking monk.

When can I be a monk.

Probably the OA book or PHB II, it'll probably be a Ki power source striker.

Maticore on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    this is already factored into the prices of those armors, if you notice there's a really dramatic difference in price between +3 Barkskin Armor and +4 Barkskin Armor. Like, one is five times the price of the other for only a +1 enhancement bonus of difference.

That's actually the case for everything. Every magic item's price gets multiplied by 5 for every 5 level increase.

Cantide on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    No not KAMEHAMEHA

A monk.

Get it right.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    No not KAMEHAMEHA

A monk.

Get it right.

Monks will have the Ki power source. How it ends up flavour wise, dunno.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    the 4e monk will likely have ki blasts n shit

if you don't like em

don't take em

they'll probably have a melee/range focus split like the ranger

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    But I want to achieve godhood.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    Is there a good online directory of retailers? I'm trying to find one near my friend's house and searching for "game store" gets me a bunch of gamestops, and "hobby store" gives me guys who sell model trains.

You're in a REALLY good spot by the way if you intend on playing any RPGA stuff. Kansas is Moonshae Isles and Missouri is Waterdeep, so you have the chance to actively participate in two regions.

Here's the Yahoo! groups for each region if you are at all interested.

Moonshae Isles (CO, ID, KS, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WY)

Waterdeep (IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI)

Oh, nice! Thanks, man. I've been thinking about getting into some RPGA stuff.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really want a Samurai for 4E. Or something like a Samurai. You know those epic fucking cinematic battles where in the end the two fighters run gracefully at eachother in robes and run past eachother.. and then it goes into a silhouette and there is a dramatic pause.. and then fucking loads of bloods explode from one of them as the other slowly sheaths his sword like a total badass. I want that. I don't want a guy recklessly waving his shit around. I want a guy who is silent and can do precise lightning fast strikes that hurt. And I want the move I described previously made into 4E! It needs to be there! Like it should be... you and your opponent automatically hit eachother.. and then the player has to make a dramatic pause for effect haha... and then depending on some factors, one of you gets an automatic critical. A vorpal critical maybe. Since something should be sliced hardcore.

So basically like Hibiki from The Last Blade and from the Capcom vs SNK series. Specifically her fast far-reaching slashes and her super.

TheBog on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I've got one of these fancy fillable 4E character sheet PDFs. The only problem is that I can't save it after I type things in, only print it. Do any exist yet that will let me save what I type in?

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    How do you determine the winner is a tie for attack vs ac? I got attacked by a roll of 19 and my ac is 19.

Joeslop, go to myth-weavers.com they have a really nice character sheet.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    TheBog wrote: »
    I really want a Samurai for 4E. .

Isn't that the intent of the Kensei paragon path?

Did they even have Oriental Adventures in 3e? I was using a first edition OA book for my 2e game, they had some oriental stuff in the handbooks.

dscrilla on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »

Did they even have Oriental Adventures in 3e? I was using a first edition OA book for my 2e game, they had some oriental stuff in the handbooks.

3E had oriental adventures.

Maticore on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How do you determine the winner is a tie for attack vs ac? I got attacked by a roll of 19 and my ac is 19.

19 is the target number, the attack hit you. If you ever get fuzzy on that point just remember: THAC0.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

19 is the target number, the attack hit you. If you ever get fuzzy on that point just remember: THAC0.

Alright thanks, that does make sense if I think of it at as target number.

FanciestWalnut on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I've been trying, but the site is down.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    dscrilla wrote: »

Eehhh... somewhat. It's moving in the right direction with the added accuracy and damage to chosen weapon. But it doesn't push it enough.

Check out the Diamond Mind manuevers from Tome of Battle. Now THAT was what I wanted.

Things like Diamond Nightmare Blade "If your Concentration check succeeds, this attack deals four times your normal melee damage." Which was a fair amount back in the day. Exemplifying the 'one massive damaging sword strike'.

Or Moment of Alacrity. "As a swift action, improve your initiative by 20" Showing your ridiculous alertness and knowledge of all that goes on the battlefield.

Or Time Stands Still, which lets you take a full attack action.. and then another full attack action. Showing the ridiculous speed at which you're striking.

Iron Heart's "Strike of Perfect Clarity". "If this attack hits, it deals an additional 100 dmg along with your regular melee damage.

Or the "Finishing Move" That deals low to absurd amounts of damage based on how hurt the target is.

The moves in 4E are still cool, but not nearly as unique and personalized, it seems. I'm hoping this is just because so far only the PHB is out, and that needs to be nice and generic as a starting point. I expect to see more exotic classes in the future.

TheBog on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    The first post needs some SERIOUS loving. Links to wizards; enworld; the power card site; Faqs about the WOTC online tools not coming out for a while; links to Myth weavers online character sheets; Maptools and the link to download H1 for maptools.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Massive damage in one stroke? You don't want a samurai, you want an iaijutsu master.

You can make a samurai pretty easily in 4e, it's really just a matter of flavor. You can do much more than a 4 times damage in a single sword strike. You can get +6 to your initiative from feats, alone. You can get to roll two dice for initiative and take the highest. You can get a warrior power that lets you add +10 to your initiative once a day. You can spend an action point to get two attacks in one round, and there are abilities that can let you move and strike three times in a single turn.

Those last two moves just sound over-powered though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh and you can have a Warlord in your party that adds + to you initiative from his charisma modifier. At level 11 or so (paragon feet), that can be upwards of +7.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah. That's what I want. A Iaijutsu master. Although there should be a fancier more western-friendly name for it.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Kaiser4149Kaiser4149 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was looking at the boards on the D&D site and found a topic on the Dragonborn Paladin. Since I'm going to be playing that character, I figured I should read some of it. In it, someone claims that "The breath weapon, however, is great for you as it allows you to mark everything in a 5x5 blast!"

Really? Is that true, and I'm missing something, or is this crap?

Kaiser4149 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mark everything?

What?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kaiser4149 wrote: »
    I was looking at the boards on the D&D site and found a topic on the Dragonborn Paladin. Since I'm going to be playing that character, I figured I should read some of it. In it, someone claims that "The breath weapon, however, is great for you as it allows you to mark everything in a 5x5 blast!"

Really? Is that true, and I'm missing something, or is this crap?

As far as I can tell thats crap... for a Paladin anyway. A Dragonborn fighter could do it however, since the two class's marking abilities work differently. A Fighter marks any creature he attacks, a Paladin only marks those he uses 'Divine Challenge' against.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    ElderCat wrote: »
    The first post needs some SERIOUS loving. Links to wizards; enworld; the power card site; Faqs about the WOTC online tools not coming out for a while; links to Myth weavers online character sheets; Maptools and the link to download H1 for maptools.

That first post is pretty good by Critical Failures standards.

I added your links.

Maticore on
This discussion has been closed.