As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moments of the Week: 06/11/08

TankTank Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Graphic Violence
My MOTW was all of Booster Gold #10.
Seriously:
Ted! :cry:

Also, Invincible #50.

"Last time the Pentagon slowed me down."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tank on

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Beast/Wonderman story from the WDYT? one-shot was pretty sweet. Pretty much all of Captain Britain and MI13 #2.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DreamonDreamon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My MOTW was from Secret İnvasion: Who do you trust:
    The beast from the ship can actually be the real deal

Dreamon on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dreamon wrote: »
    My MOTW was from Secret İnvasion: Who do you trust:
    The beast from the ship can actually be the real deal

I haven't read it yet, so it could be something other than
    The real-beast being a Skrull but if that's true then FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU

Mai-Kero on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wonder Woman #21
    Director Steel: "I need them surveilled. I need evidence and right damn quick. Before we get Amazons Attack , The Sequel. I need a bastard, Tom. I need someone who would give up his own mother to serve the mission. Congratulations. That bastard is YOU."

**Edit: Man, all of WW #21 was great. I think I'm in love with Gail Simone. And Wonder Woman.

Lucascraft on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sky Doll. All of it. Such a great title. X-Force Aint No Dog was pretty good too with the exception of the anti-smoking campaign stuck in the story for some reason. They did the same thing with Amazing Spider-Man this week, too.

KVW on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    "You mooned me!"

SI:WDYT?
    Agent Brand's
    story.

Crimsondude on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW wrote: »
    Sky Doll. All of it. Such a great title. X-Force Aint No Dog was pretty good too with the exception of the anti-smoking campaign stuck in the story for some reason. They did the same thing with Amazing Spider-Man this week, too.

What's Sky Doll?

Robos A Go Go on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Re Secret Invasion:
    They cannot possibly have the Beast from the ship be real: any character that interacted with Cassandra Nova or Phoenix has to be off-limits, and we know that the Beast over in the first runs of New X-Men did both. Moreover, we know that Xavier was ALL over that Beast's brain in the same arcs.

mattharvest on
    edited June 2008
    Re Secret Invasion:
    They cannot possibly have the Beast from the ship be real: any character that interacted with Cassandra Nova or Phoenix has to be off-limits, and we know that the Beast over in the first runs of New X-Men did both. Moreover, we know that Xavier was ALL over that Beast's brain in the same arcs.
    If they want to retcon everything Morrison did, they will, "logic" be damned.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    KVW, you do know that Quesada is fiercely anti-tobacco? True, his dad died of lung-cancer but I hope we won't see Marvel comics turn into those annoying "Truth" commercials.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited June 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    KVW, you do know that Quesada is fiercely anti-tobacco? True, his dad died of lung-cancer but I hope we won't see Marvel comics turn into those annoying "Truth" commercials.

I'd rather it be a separate ad campaign myself. I mean, his heart is in the right place (his chest!), but it's a bit condescending.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I don't mind having no smoking in the books (although Nick Fury without a stogie is blasphomy!), but we don't need several pages of Wolverine telling people why he quit smoking and that they're bad for someone that can regrow tissue, survive nuclear bombs and basically is immune to every single side effect of smoking. Just don't have him smoke and it's fine. Lecture me about it in a book I paid for and that's annoying.

Same goes for the Amazing Spider-Man issue with pages of Bookie's dad coughing and weezing and everyone telling him smoking is bad followed up with a Joe Q editor box saying smoking will give you CANCER AND DEATH!. (well, I read this at the shop, I didn't buy it so I gues sI can't complain about paying for this anti-smoking ad).

What's Sky Doll?

European comic that Marvel is translating and releasing in North America. Beautiful artwork, imaginative story with religious, sexuality and political themes (among others) that doesn't beat you over the head with those messages either. About a pleasure doll that has her own personality, a civil war between two competing religious factions and all in a futuristic fantasy sci-fi setting of awesomeness.

It's a bit expensive, like $5 or $6 an issue, but only in-house ads and like 50 pages each.

KVW on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man, the Punisher one shot was pretty amazing.

Sharp101 on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Re Secret Invasion:

Xavier wasnt able to tell that Black Bolt was a Skrull, how would this be any different?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    bale you just want ape beast back

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2008
    I do

although I would prefer it was done in a way that didnt take away all the good stuff Whedon and Carey have done with him over the last couple years

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    whedon's stuff doesn't count

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe they could just roll some of the other characters into him and create Ultra-Beast? I don't think its too much to ask for some telepathy, a laser beam, claws, and the power to control the wind. Oh, and he should be able to phase through things. And bamph.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2008
    what

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    I prefer the Beast who doesn't speak like Stan Lee with a thesaurus.

Robos A Go Go on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My ultra-MOTW so far has been reading Jim Lee's column in Chuck #1 (which was very good, btw, and true to the show) and finding out there will be an X-Files ongoing starting in July

Amazing, I'm so pumped

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sky Doll is pretty good. The art is excellent. Contract was pretty cool too. My moment of the week, though, was a back issue sale that let me get caught up on JLA, JSA, and Dark Tower, and also get some issues of The Spirit.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited June 2008
    Amazing Spider-man was pretty great.

To be continued in Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk #3! Just kidding!

Mai-Kero on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Re Secret Invasion:

Xavier wasnt able to tell that Black Bolt was a Skrull, how would this be any different?
    Well, as far as I know, he never rebuilt Black Bolt's brain. During the Cassandra Nova arc, after Cassandra had placed her brain in Xavier's body, Xavier's brain in her body, and locked Beast away in an animalistic state. Xavier, being the godlike psychic he is, was able to reach into Beast's brain through Cassandra's body, and restore his brain. If Beast was a Skrull, this would make absolutely no sense.

Frankly, anyone Cassandra encountered makes no sense as a Skrull.

mattharvest on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Re Secret Invasion:

Well, as far as I know, he never rebuilt Black Bolt's brain. During the Cassandra Nova arc, after Cassandra had placed her brain in Xavier's body, Xavier's brain in her body, and locked Beast away in an animalistic state. Xavier, being the godlike psychic he is, was able to reach into Beast's brain through Cassandra's body, and restore his brain. If Beast was a Skrull, this would make absolutely no sense.

most x-men could have been replaced some time after she'd been taken care of, though. cat-beast beast is the only one where it would be a problem. but yes, i agree otherwise

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    Re Secret Invasion:

most x-men could have been replaced some time after she'd been taken care of, though. cat-beast beast is the only one where it would be a problem. but yes, i agree otherwise
    None of the astonishing would really work, since that was pretty recent.

Mai-Kero on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    mugginns wrote: »
    My ultra-MOTW so far has been reading Jim Lee's column in Chuck #1 (which was very good, btw, and true to the show) and finding out there will be an X-Files ongoing starting in July

Amazing, I'm so pumped

Hey who's going to be writing that?
    I have a friend that loves X-Files, and I want to tell her about this
    But if it's going to be someone terrible then no

Me Too! on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Re Secret Invasion:

ah touche

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Lol! wrote: »

Amazing, I'm so pumped

Hey who's going to be writing that?
    I have a friend that loves X-Files, and I want to tell her about this
    But if it's going to be someone terrible then no
    Frank Spotnitz

Needless to say I'm pumped about that too

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited June 2008
    He wouldnt have to have been replaced way back when he first changed form, it could have been more recent and the Skrulls just did something to him that caused him to revert back.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    anti-motw

Yeah I bought it - Titans #3

anyway on to the anti-motw
    30bcmqvpv6.jpg

The art actually was pretty good in some spots

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • WizardFistWizardFist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Way to go, Judd Winick.

WizardFist on
    1242529-1.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I prefer the Beast who doesn't speak like Stan Lee with a thesaurus.

So what you're saying is you don't like Beast?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2008
    I hope you're not saying that was one of the good art spots

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TravisLeggeTravisLegge Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Re Secret Invasion:

ah touche

Stuff like this is why I'm avoiding Secret Invasion like a herpid hooker.

TravisLegge on
    www.aegisstudios.net
    Home to the Contagion Role-Playing Game! News about Corpus Christie and the Cape Girls.
    edited June 2008
    I hope you're not saying that was one of the good art spots
    no it was not

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Re Secret Invasion:

ah touche

Stuff like this is why I'm avoiding Secret Invasion like a herpid hooker.

Thats silly

everything has been explained pretty well so far

the Beast stuff is just speculation at this point anyway

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    anti-motw

30bcmqvpv6.jpg

I'm sure she's just got her legs up and outwards but damn it looks like she's riding on top of his ass there cheek to cheek.

Also....dem some chicken legs folks.

Cade on
    edited June 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    anti-motw

30bcmqvpv6.jpg

I'm sure she's just got her legs up and outwards but damn it looks like she's riding on top of his ass there cheek to cheek.

Despite what people say about Greg Land, there are certain instances where pornography can serve as excellent reference material.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2008
    Cade wrote: »
    anti-motw

yeah that was my first thought. "How does this even work?" But then I realized she was probably wrapping her legs around him

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
This discussion has been closed.