As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raneados is dumb.

NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
(despite what some people say to the contrary, pulling out is a reliable form of birth control, done correctly)

Do not ever do this.

Ever.

Nostregar on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know what they call people that use that method?

Parents.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    (despite what some people say to the contrary, pulling out is a reliable form of birth control, done correctly)

No.

Djiem on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Raneados wrote: »

You should be temp-banned for such hideously shit "advice".

Lewisham on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »

No.

And yes, it does. The fluid itself does not natively carry sperm, but sperm can exist in your urethra prior to sex (if there's a prior ejaculation) and sperm can travel up into the urethra before ejaculation. Prior ejaculation usually ups the sperm count by roughly 15-20% if I remember correctly.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

This is one of the worst pieces of advice, with some of the most drastic, life-changing consequences, that I have ever seen in any context anywhere. Like someone advising the CFO from Enron to go ahead and fudge some numbers, and it will all sort out in the wash. That kind of bad.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I think what he was trying to do here was not advise him to use this method, but that if done 100% correctly, it has a high success rate. The issue is of course that it is near damn impossible to do it correctly (could have sperm in your pre-ejaculate, your timing was a fraction of a second off, etc) and should never ever be attempted. Rane was just trying to calm him down a bit, not advising him to do it.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    If so, sure, we can pull 'em out.

:winky:

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    no, I shouldn't because it's solid advice

I'm getting my info from textbooks, where are you guys getting yours?

because hey jumping to conclusions is always the best idea

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Are you seriously saying that you have a sex textbook which advocates pulling out as a birth control method?

Because every sex-related textbook, book, pamphlet, and class I have ever read or attended has vehemently, clearly, and repeatedly said "Pulling out as a birth control is stupid and doesn't work and if you do it you fucking deserve a baby."

Paraphrased, of course.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nostregar wrote: »

Are you seriously saying that you have a sex textbook which advocates pulling out as a birth control method?

Because every textbook, book, pamphlet, and class I have ever read or attended has vehemently, clearly, and repeatedly said "Pulling out as a birth control is stupid and doesn't work and if you do it you fucking deserve a baby."

Paraphrased, of course.

You don't get it. Pulling out works very well if it is done exactly right. Problem is doing it exactly right is very hard, so it isn't worth the risk. The textbook is not advocating shit, it's just giving out factual information.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, and I could drive at 180mph on the motorway "if I do it right". It's that the chances of that happening without causing some catastrophe is incredibly small.

We could use this line of reasoning for all sorts of equally stupid pieces of advice.
    I hear you can get away with murder... if you do it right.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I am seriously saying that pulling out works as a birth control method with over a 90% success when done correctly, classifying it as a "working birth control method". It's nowhere near as effective as condoms, nuva rings, morning after pills or even the rhythm method, but it does have the ability to be very effective, ESPECIALLY when used alongside other methods. People usually don't do it right, and often do not time it correctly, as it is sometimes a hard thing to predict, but done correctly, it is a viable option to at least lessen the chances of pregnancy dramatically

if I find my old textbook I'll quote it

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    From Planned Parenthood: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/withdrawal-pull-out-method-4218.htm

"Of every 100 women whose partners use withdrawal, 4 will become pregnant each year if they always do it correctly...27 will become pregnant each year if they don't always do it correctly."

Granted, it does not give any information about how those figures were reached. However, if accurate, I would never risk a 4% chance of unwanted pregnancy...and I would never want to trust myself not to fuck up and hit that 27% chance. And every textbook I've seen discussing the pullout method uses terms like "not the most reliable" and "better than nothing"...not phrases that inspire confidence.

Scrublet on

• Options
    BomanTheBearBomanTheBear Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Nostregar wrote: »

Because every sex-related textbook, book, pamphlet, and class I have ever read or attended has vehemently, clearly, and repeatedly said "Pulling out as a birth control is stupid and doesn't work and if you do it you fucking deserve a baby."

Paraphrased, of course.
    At the risk of involving myself in a shitstorm, textbooks say that for the same reason that most schools say that drinking underage will make you dead in three days. It's hard to pull out the right way. If books said that you could do it, your average Joe Dumbass would think he's got the skills for it, and he'd end up making a kid from doing wrong. However, if they say that you're going to have a goddamn kid and ruin your life forever if you rawdog it, aforementioned Joe Dumbass is much less likely to try. Truth is you got a three second window. If I remember to once I get off work, I'll look up the proof. But this is off-topic.

Get the pill. Sure, the odds are low, but would you be glad you saved $45 today, when there's any chance at all that you'll shovel out a couple hundred k over the next 18 years? The chances are not quite low enough to take that gamble.

BomanTheBear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh fuck off with the 'perfect' already.

Failure rates (first year)
    Perfect use 4%
    Typical use 15-28%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_birth_control_methods

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    here we go

Withdrawal

- Effectiveness 73-96%
    - Reversability (complete and immediate)
    - Advantages (free, available, ease of use, no side effects, encourages male involvement)
    - Disadvantages (possibility of failing to recognize impending ejaculation, interrupts sexual pleasure, great self-control required on the part of the male)

effectiveness is more than spermicide

"Exploring the Dimensions of Human Sexuality 3rd Edition. Stephanie E. Chisolm. 2007.

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    On a related note to Rane's logic, I was just chewing on this. I found this out recently and was pretty surprised by it (maybe I was just ignorant/naive)...the same logic is used with the pill. The pill (the daily one, not the morning after) is 99% effective when done correctly. From what I now understand, taking it at the right time, etc., all the instructions that go into that pill are VERY IMPORTANT, and its effectiveness is seriously undermined if it's screwed up. So while I still think advising the pull-out method as "effective when done correctly" is an astronomically bad idea, I thought it should be mentioned that ALL of these methods seem to be only as smart as the people using them.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    there

now can we stop debating this and focus on the help/advice?

that's what you guys do here, right?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Effectiveness 73-96%

That does not inspire confidence. Tell me, if you were about to get on a plane and were told that the plane had "a 73-96% of landing safely at the destination", would you get on it? I sure wouldn't.

What if you were supposed to board said plane every night or even just 2 or 3 times a week?

There are alot of things, as has been said, which "done perfectly" work, but in real world application are simply not viable. This is one of those things.

Edit: We're debating this because you told the guy, as advice, that pulling out is a viable birth control method. At least, that seems to be how a lot of the people here understood it, myself included.

Nostregar on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    did I say it was perfect?

no

I didn't

because only abstinence is perfect

I said "done correctly"

Raneados on
This discussion has been closed.