As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beyond the Sword-New Problems!

GuffreyGuffrey Registered User regular
edited July 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Quick question on the game. I just checked it out on wikipedia, with special attention to the new units. My understanding was they put in futuristic mech-like infantry, which you can see on the box art. However, these units are not found in the "New Unit" list. I saw a scenario in which they are used, and the article says the scenario can be played independently, or tacked on to an Epic game.

Essentially, my question is, if I play an epic game of Beyond the Sword, am I going to have ultra futuristic armies automatically, or is it something that can be switched on and off.

EDIT:

Alright, so I bought it today. The first thing I noticed is that it seems to sometimes have problems starting up, and crashes. But it is generally when I am trying to start it up while finishing looking at a website or something, so it isn't a huge issue.

The problem is something I encountered in the original Civ IV with the leaderheads. On several, Mehmed and now Justinian being the worse, the skin shading is off. They both have patches of lighter skin all over their face and parts of their bodies. Now, I saw a patch that is supposed to fix this problem in Civ IV, but nothing for Beyond the Sword. Any help?

Guffrey on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You know, I thought the expansion was solely to extend the game beyond 2050. I'll buy it eventually because I'm a consumer whore, but the last few years of Civ IV are dry.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    honestly, I actually have never seen them in a game, though I haven't played many that got to the future ages since I got BotS

However, the BotS expansion has a LOT more awesome stuff than just future-related, especially the advanced start option... the first civ4 expansion was kinda meh, but I highly recommend this one (especially if you can find it cheapish)

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've never seen them, and I've maxed out Tech at least a couple times since getting it.

The highest I recall is Mech Infantry which was already in the game.

Does it even go past 2050? A time victory I think is still 2050.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, for a game titled Beyond the Sword, they seemed to have a lot of awesome non-future related things. Thanks for the help, its a definate buy.

Guffrey on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I highly recommend this expansion for people (like me) who had the massive stability/crash/overheat issues with Civ IV. BtS is the most stable the game has ever been for me.

-edit-

And I think the "Beyond the Sword" title is meant to refer to the enhanced espionage and diplomacy the expansion features.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Guffrey wrote: »
    Quick question on the game. I just checked it out on wikipedia, with special attention to the new units. My understanding was they put in futuristic mech-like infantry, which you can see on the box art. However, these units are not found in the "New Unit" list. I saw a scenario in which they are used, and the article says the scenario can be played independently, or tacked on to an Epic game.

Essentially, my question is, if I play an epic game of Beyond the Sword, am I going to have ultra futuristic armies automatically, or is it something that can be switched on and off.

It's one of the included mods. Well, two mods really. I think it's called "Endwar" or "Future War" or the like.

One version is a preset scenario involving a future earth war and has a fixed map to start. The other version of the mod lets you play a "normal" civ game with the new tech enabled so you can have Genghis Khan sending in waves of mecha and supertanks to pillage domed cities.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Ah, while I think thats pretty much what everyone else had said, you cemented it for me. I was wondering how that worked. While I think having the super mega futuristic stuff could be fun, I wouldn't want it every game. Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Solved.

Guffrey on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Updated the OP with some problems I'm having

Guffrey on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Grab the latest patch for BTS, if you haven't already. I don't know anything about splotchy leaders, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I already got the latest patch. I think it is something to do with my graphics card. Everyone seems to have had problems with Radeons, and I have a 9250. The funny thing is, Civ IV runs beautifully, without the skin problem, on my fiancees laptop, which is just the average, not too expensive laptop not even built for gaming.

Guffrey on