As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AfterEffects/Photoshop Help

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Is there anyway in AfterEffects (maybe its a universal Adobe shortcut) to copy something then put it equidistant from the original? I might not be explaining this correctly but hopefully someone will understand.

Thanks.

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Equidistant from the original with relation to what? If I have one copy and one original, it's all the same distance from itself.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well when I copy one text layer/selection in AE and paste it, its exactly over the original. Same as in PS, I believe. I want to be able to copy and paste several of these, but each of them being, I guess 50 pixels from the one I copied.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There’s no easy way to do this with PS/AE, but you could do it in Illustrator. Copy and paste by moving it and completing the move with a copy and then use the repeat transform (cmd-d) to put all the pieces in place. IIRC you can just set up the whole thing in Illustrator and then load the whole Illustrator file into AE with layers intact, although if the Illustrator file has had raster objects placed inside of it things might get weird. Of course, you could just use the above technique to create a template, load it in and then use the template to manually place the assets in AE.

supabeast on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Not sure it applies to AfterEffects, but in Photoshop, I'd just copy/paste, then hold shift and move the copy 5 times (holding shift should constrain it to moving in 10 pixel jumps).

Alternatively -- again in Photoshop, so not sure if it applies -- you can actually do a Repeat Transform. So copy/paste the layer, then do a transform and move it your 50 pixels. Then copy/paste that layer and repeat the transform. Should work.

Daenris on