Options

Why "The Customer Is Always Right" Is So Utterly Wrong

• Options
    RubickRubick Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Sometimes I enjoyed customers that through out their receipts. The ones that say, "I don't need it" and just leave it at your register. Because if they have to come back, you get to teach them a lesson in humility. Well, hopefully.

One time I bought a DVD for a TV show, and told the Suncoast employee that he could toss my reciept. 10 minutes later, I realized it was the wrong season, and went back to exchange the DVD. He said I needed my receipt, I told him it was juuuuuuuuuuust to his left right there on top of the trash can, and the employee and his manager both refused to get my receipt because the garbage can could potentially be a "Biological Hazard", and when I reiterated the the reciept was sitting on top of the trash heap, that didn't contain mystery chemicals, they repeated that they weren't going to grab it. I was pretty pissed. Sometimes the employees are just genuine assholes instead of the customers.

I'm also not understanding how you somehow get absolutely excited about the fact that you get to remind a customer that they needed their receipt.

I worked at Suncoast for 4+ years. I would've fished it out of the trash for you (we made a point to not throw away gross crap in there, like food and drinks). Unless you were a dillhole, that is. They were probably pissed you didn't buy one of them 50000000 things they were required to offer you at the counter.

Rubick on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Sometimes I enjoyed customers that through out their receipts. The ones that say, "I don't need it" and just leave it at your register. Because if they have to come back, you get to teach them a lesson in humility. Well, hopefully.

One time I bought a DVD for a TV show, and told the Suncoast employee that he could toss my reciept. 10 minutes later, I realized it was the wrong season, and went back to exchange the DVD. He said I needed my receipt, I told him it was juuuuuuuuuuust to his left right there on top of the trash can, and the employee and his manager both refused to get my receipt because the garbage can could potentially be a "Biological Hazard", and when I reiterated the the reciept was sitting on top of the trash heap, that didn't contain mystery chemicals, they repeated that they weren't going to grab it. I was pretty pissed. Sometimes the employees are just genuine assholes instead of the customers.

I'm also not understanding how you somehow get absolutely excited about the fact that you get to remind a customer that they needed their receipt.

You deserve it for your decisions.

I would bet an enormous sum of money that you either:

Work in a similar position as the employees
    or
    Would never appreciate some bullshit trite response like "You deserve it" if you encountered any sort of problem ever.

Edit:

And where the fuck are you getting "Deserve" from? Like people have to pay their due penance for the privilege of dealing with you or some shit?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rubick wrote: »

I worked at Suncoast for 4+ years. I would've fished it out of the trash for you (we made a point to not throw away gross crap in there, like food and drinks). Unless you were a dillhole, that is. They were probably pissed you didn't buy one of them 50000000 things they were required to offer you at the counter.

Yeah I didn't see a problem, the garbage can didn't have any food or anything in it, and I even offered to fish out my receipt and that was a no-go too.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I honestly don't know why people toss receipts for anything non-consumable.

They're not hard to store, or anything.

japan on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    japan wrote: »

Spoken like an insurance agent.

This is one of those things you know you should do but requires small effort several different times so it's easy to screw up on.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »
    Wait, mtvcdm, what's so bad about Third Shift?
    The fact that it fucked up my sleep cycle so bad that I had two nervous breakdowns in the span of a month. That's what.

What?
    My body pretty much refused wholesale to cooperate with going to bed at 7-8 AM and waking up at 3 PM. I wound up sleeping whenever my body told me to, wherever it told me to. Including work. Combine that with the fact that third shift is demanding, thankless work for shitty pay, and it eventually got to me.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

or
    Would never appreciate some bullshit trite response like "You deserve it" if you encountered any sort of problem ever.

Edit:

And where the fuck are you getting "Deserve" from? Like people have to pay their due penance for the privilege of dealing with you or some shit?

You're not fucking entitled to return your product after you throw it down some stairs, and you sure as hell shouldn't be able to bring it back if you can't even prove you purchased it.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    Wait, mtvcdm, what's so bad about Third Shift?
    The fact that it fucked up my sleep cycle so bad that I had two nervous breakdowns in the span of a month. That's what.

What?
    My body pretty much refused wholesale to cooperate with going to bed at 7-8 AM and waking up at 3 PM. I wound up sleeping whenever my body told me to, wherever it told me to. Including work. Combine that with the fact that third shift is demanding, thankless work for shitty pay, and it eventually got to me.

I guess I'm just "lucky" in that my body doesn't mind doing that. That 3rd shift is often "ignored" is fucking annoying.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

or

Edit:

You're not fucking entitled to return your product after you throw it down some stairs, and you sure as hell shouldn't be able to bring it back if you can't even prove you purchased it.
    The people he had to "prove" it to knew he had purchased it. The additional evidence was also well within their access and they chose to be dicks.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Spoken like an insurance agent.

This is one of those things you know you should do but requires small effort several different times so it's easy to screw up on.

:lol:

Did you know, or were you guessing?

I don't think I've ever actually turned down anyone's claim because they couldn't provide a receipt, unless there are other issues as well. For example (this kind of fits the topic) the guy who told our jewellers that they'd had a curb chain stolen, but described a completely different item of jewellery when asked about it, said they bought it in cyprus (where gold is weighed in grams) but gave the weight in ounces, and the price they claimed to have bought it for was way, way off what it actually would have been (by a factor of five, no less).

Then we start regarding the fact that you don't have a receipt for it (or valuations, or the box it came in, or the name of the jeweller that supplied it, or a credit card statement showing the purchase, or any paperwork relating to this alleged trip to cyprus, or photographs, etc.) with a little suspicion.

I mean, damn, if you're going to lie to us at least tell us a decently crafted and internally consistent lie.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    :lol:

Did you know, or were you guessing?

I don't think I've ever actually turned down anyone's claim because they couldn't provide a receipt, unless there are other issues as well. For example (this kind of fits the topic) the guy who told our jewellers that they'd had a curb chain stolen, but described a completely different item of jewellery when asked about it, said they bought it in cyprus (where gold is weighed in grams) but gave the weight in ounces, and the price they claimed to have bought it for was way, way off what it actually would have been (by a factor of five, no less).

Then we start regarding the fact that you don't have a receipt for it (or valuations, or the box it came in, or the name of the jeweller that supplied it, or a credit card statement showing the purchase, or any paperwork relating to this alleged trip to cyprus, or photographs, etc.) with a little suspicion.

I mean, damn, if you're going to lie to us at least tell us a decently crafted and internally consistent lie.
    I am like The Shadow, lurking and watching. (Yes, though I had to stop and make sure you were who I was thinking of.)

Really I just think you're more familiar with the idea and it's ramifications than I am so it's easier to remember to keep them.

I mean, I've needed the receipt for something like twice and since one was a large purchase I had it. The other time I paid with a card so the merchant could look up the transaction. Neither was a huge deal.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

or

Edit:

Actually I work internet tech support for a cable company. And you deserve it because keeping receipts is something you learned years ago, and hopefully if it keeps hurting you you'll learn your lesson.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Really I just think you're more familiar with the idea and it's ramifications than I am so it's easier to remember to keep them.

Actually I've only worked in insurance for about a year, I've always been in the habit of keeping receipts.

For insurance purposes, I pretty much do the worst thing possible, which is store the receipt with the item on it (for example, open up just about any of my DVDs or games, and the receipt will be tucked behind the booklet). Anything I can't easily do that with I just stuff in an envelope that sits on my desk at home.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Actually I've only worked in insurance for about a year, I've always been in the habit of keeping receipts.

For insurance purposes, I pretty much do the worst thing possible, which is store the receipt with the item on it (for example, open up just about any of my DVDs or games, and the receipt will be tucked behind the booklet). Anything I can't easily do that with I just stuff in an envelope that sits on my desk at home.
    Are photocopies of receipts sufficient for insurance claims? I wonder how hard it would be to set up a system to auto-archive receipts using a scanner and a pc.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

or

Edit:

Wait, so

"Hey, thanks for this thing"
    10 minutes later
    "Oh hey about that thing"

Is the same as

"Hey, thanks for this thing"
    *throws thing down stairs, burns it, shoots it, etc etc
    "Can I give this thing back?"

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

And you deserve it because keeping receipts is something you learned years ago, and hopefully if it keeps hurting you you'll learn your lesson.

Thats the kind of shit fundies say about women wanting to get abortions. If you're more concerned about "Them gosh durned retards getting them thar items returned without learning their God Almighty lessons" than "People getting actual customer service" then you probably shouldn't even try to fucking contribute to this conversation.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    People are just bad about things in general and expect the companies to bend over backwards for them. To give you an example from when I'm in the billing queue I'll get roughly ten calls a day, from people disputing installation charges, saying they were told it'd be free, which no one would ever tell them. Then I ask them to look at the work order they signed to see if those charges are on there. Sure enough the install charges written largely circled and highlighted are on the work order that they signed on the line stating, "I agree that all services and charges are correct and have been correctly rendered."

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »

Are photocopies of receipts sufficient for insurance claims? I wonder how hard it would be to set up a system to auto-archive receipts using a scanner and a pc.

If you're talking something like renter's insurance then you usually won't even need a photocopy of a reciept, unless you are trying to claim that your couch cost $14,000 or something.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

And you deserve it because keeping receipts is something you learned years ago, and hopefully if it keeps hurting you you'll learn your lesson.

Thats the kind of shit fundies say about women wanting to get abortions. If you're more concerned about "Them gosh durned retards getting them thar items returned without learning their God Almighty lessons" than "People getting actual customer service" then you probably shouldn't even try to fucking contribute to this conversation.

You should try contributing to a conversation without spouting nonsense and profanity. Then we can talk about how this mistake might help you learn to save a receipt for a I dunno $2,000 TV?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

You should try contributing to a conversation without spouting nonsense and profanity. Then we can talk about how this mistake might help you learn to save a receipt for a I dunno $2,000 TV?

Yes, because tossing the reciept for a 10$ DVD is totally the same as holding on to the warranty info for a television.

Can this thread get some analogies that don't completely fucking fall flat on their face and fail please?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Needing the receipt and not having it would have occurred anyway. All those people being dicks teaches him is that those people are dicks. Don't try to act like they were giving him tough love.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Varies with insurer, and even then, there aren't any hard and fast rules. Usually it comes down to looking at the body of evidence that can be provided and making a judgement call as to whether it seems reasonable or not, then either accepting or rejecting the claim in it's entirety. It's actually pretty rare to decline two or three items in a given claim. I'm not familiar with how it works in the US, but UK insurers are held to the principle of "utmost good faith" which basically means that you take what you're told as true, unless there are specific aspects of the claim that look suspicious.

What you describe is actually fairly common, there are a good few people who use paperless archiving systems, so it wouldn't necessarily be suspicious in and of itself. As an example though, if the receipts were all for cash transactions with no identifying information on them, none of them could be traced through the retailer, that was all you were able to provide, and the items you were claiming for didn't fit with your particular demographic/income bracket, we might ask a lot of questions or ask for more evidence.

japan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    "The customer is always right" = Wrong =! "The customer is always wrong"

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yes, because tossing the reciept for a 10$ DVD is totally the same as holding on to the warranty info for a television.

Can this thread get some analogies that don't completely fucking fall flat on their face and fail please?

I'm just saying maybe you'll remember this small, monetarily, lesson so you don't learn it with something more expensive.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I'm just saying maybe you'll remember this small, monetarily, lesson so you don't learn it with something more expensive.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Needing the receipt and not having it would have occurred anyway. All those people being dicks teaches him is that those people are dicks. Don't try to act like they were giving him tough love.

True but its obvious from this guys posts, both the profanity and the attempts at personal attacks, that this guy was probably being a dick to them. You get what you dish out.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Please don't compare you being an idiot and throwing out a receipt to pro-lifers.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, so now expecting a reasonable request to be acted upon by an individual in customer service is idiotic.

If you don't want to be compared to people that say "Learn the lesson regardless of context and personal cost/inconvenience", then don't fucking become a champion of "Learn the lesson regardless of context and personal cost/inconvenience"

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    True but its obvious from this guys posts, both the profanity and the attempts at personal attacks, that this guy was probably being a dick to them. You get what you dish out.
    You don't know that at all. There were no personal attacks in the post you initially responded to and, while there was some profanity, I wouldn't say he used abusive language.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay how about this. In order to prove to the representative, and through them, to the company the merchandise would be returned to, that you purchased said item from them you would need a receipt. You didn't have a receipt. They have no "proof" that you made the purchase.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    You don't know that at all. There were no personal attacks in the post you initially responded to and, while there was some profanity, I wouldn't say he used abusive language.

The second someone disagrees with him he attacks them. If you attack everyone who disagrees with you, you'll live a rather lonely life.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Okay how about this. In order to prove to the representative, and through them, to the company the merchandise would be returned to, that you purchased said item from them you would need a receipt. You didn't have a receipt. They have no "proof" that you made the purchase.
    aaaaand we're back to being pedantic and dickish

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Have you ever worked a returns department for any store. The companies you send the items back to normally request a receipt or they don't credit the money back to the store. So the store literally loses money.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The second someone disagrees with him he attacks them. If you attack everyone who disagrees with you, you'll live a rather lonely life.
    I'm sure you knew he would do that when you claimed that he deserved it.(edit: that was sarcasm, sorry) Also, attacking you for disagreeing with him does not equate to attacking anyone that disagrees with him. You are making some Jordan-esque inductive leaps here.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Ok, you have a post that says "You (mike) being an idiot...(rest of sentence)"

Point to a situation where I labelled you (the person) as anything at all. Linking the post where I point to your argument (the sentences you type, not you as a person) and say that is the kind of argument that fundies advance, does not count.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Have you ever worked a returns department for any store. The companies you send the items back to normally request a receipt or they don't credit the money back to the store. So the store literally loses money.
    I worked at Gamestop while I was in school. I've done all manner of wacky returns.
    edit: and this is still ignoring the fact that the receipt was present but not under the customer's control.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

You read my post right? Like, the first one, with the letters and sentences and ideas and such? The one that indicates that the employee wanted a reciept for me to be able to exchange season X of show Z with season Y?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Know what's awesome?

PMs

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    nosnibornosnibor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Are you really being intentionally obtuse? He bought the DVD 10 minutes prior, presumably from the very same employees at the store, and he clearly pointed out the reciept in the trash can, where he had told the employee to put it. He didn't actually have the reciept in his possession, but unless the employee is a little slow on the uptake, they should at least have a recollection of a sale they made 10 minutes ago. I don't want to call the employee stupid, so I'll assume he was being difficult just because he could.

nosnibor on
    When you're a spy, it's a good idea to give away your trade secrets in a voiceover on a TV show.
  • Options
    edited July 2008

I worked at Gamestop while I was in school. I've done all manner of wacky returns.
    edit: and this is still ignoring the fact that the receipt was present but not under the customer's control.

This too. They claimed their fucking garbage can was a BIOHAZARD, because there were "Tissues and stuff in it" - It's not like they were even trying.

MikeMcSomething on
This discussion has been closed.