Options

Pre-PAX Gaming Tournaments

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
Before I really dig in to this, I want to make a quick comment that this idea was birthed from you guys. It was formed from your posts, your thoughts, your ideas...this idea is not mine, it's yours. I'm really hopeful you guys, the PAX community, can hold on to that ownership as this (hopefully) develops.

I don't need to tell you that a lot of excellent games simply do not become pax tournament games. It's a painful process, really, picking tournament games because it's completely impossible to try and make everyone happy with a maximum capacity of about 5 pc games we have time for, and I'm sure Zig has the same problem with console tournaments.

So what we're going to do is try and encourage tournaments and/or contests run among the pax community prior to pax. I want to emphasize the "community" aspect of that. With the exception of a neutral Arbiter who will set the basic ruleset (based on what you guys want) and perhaps work with everyone to figure out a schedule (again, based on what you guys want), this will be YOUR contest. In order for this to work, you need to play nice. That means explicitly following Wil Wheaton's Law. The Arbiter will likely vary from game to game. It may be me, it may be Moe Fwacky, or it may be some other Enforcer who knows the games in question better than we do.

There will be prizes for these tournaments, however you will have to actually attend PAX to get them. If you are unable to attend pax, you can certainly participate in the tournament, but you won't be eligible for prizes. The prizes will be fairly modest but it should still make things a little more interesting.

So, the easiest way this will work is for those of you who are interested in this to make a post with all the games you'd be interested in playing in such a setting. I will tell you we're going to be mainly focused on games that don't fit as pax tournaments, such as Sins of a Solar Empire or Civ4. When tournaments are announced, then we can expand that to games that just didn't make the cut. (PC Tournaments should be announced in a week or two, btw). Those are our criteria, though, not yours....go ahead and list everything you'd be interested in.

If someone later brings up a game you'd be interested in, edit your post to include the new game(s), so it's real easy for us to see how much demand each of the games have. Ideally I'd like to have 10 people in each tournament/contest, which means I'd ideally like to see interest from about 15.

Your post might look something like this:

---

I'd be interested in playing Civ4, Sins of a Solar Empire, Quake3, UT3 (pc platform), Mario Kart Wii, Burnout Paradise, and Tetris DS.

---

From there, we'll start picking out games and giving each of them their own thread to talk about when to schedule, what rules to use, and so on, so stay tuned.

Any other feedback is appreciated, as well.

David Coffman on

• Options
    RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Wait, this is for tournaments before PAX, in Seattle? I only arrive the Wednesday before. :(
    I like the idea as I missed some awesome stuff last year while the Shadowrun tournament progressed.

I'd be interested in playing Supreme Commander, Civ4, Tetris DS and pretty much any FPS

RowdyTheDog on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2008
    This is for tournaments before PAX, right here on the forums. Not in Seattle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    MaoChanMaoChan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

LOLz I thought this was for like the night before PAX or something. In that case:

TF2 on XBLA
    Size: As many as possible. Random Teams, if your team loses then you get knocked out.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Hahah, yea, over the internets in the next couple months. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TF2 on PC becuase the xbox version blows :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    TF2 on PC becuase the xbox version blows :P

Seconded.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    TF2 on PC
    Sins of a Solar Empire
    StarCraft (I'll even buy a new copy, lost my old one ages ago)
    Half-Life 2 Deathmatch (yes really)
    CoD4 on PC
    Halo 3 (but only Rocket Race)

I'd add GTAIV, but the only mode I really enjoy is Free Play -- hard to have a tourney on that, though I wouldn't mind gathering all the PAXers into one giant epic in-game activity.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    How about a Settlers of Catan or Carcassonne tourney via AsoBrain.com (free to play). They have all the expansions and it is easy to get a grip of on there.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

This makes me very happy indeed...

RowdyTheDog on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I'm going to bump this back up -- even though everyone's on vacation, there's got to be more people interested in this.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I hope so. =)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    atiariatiari Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Battlefield 2

atiari on
  • Options
    Comrade OneComrade One Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Company of Heroes, specifically a 2v2 tourney (but I'd love a 1v1 aswell!)

although hopefully it will be a tourney game again for byoc this year... unfortunately last year was only 1v1 and they moved the time up and i was out getting lunch. This made me sad :(

Comrade One on
  • Options
    BugsPrayBugsPray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I know some of us who would like to play some oldschool Tribes or Tribes 2. Soldat would be pretty awesome too.

BugsPray on
  • Options
    asb4545asb4545 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Definitely Company of Heroes

asb4545 on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    What about a Defcon tourny?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Qs23 wrote: »
    What about a Defcon tourny?

This.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So far I count 10 games each with one person interested, and 3 games with 2 people interested.

Remember, this isn't a brainstorm for ideas, this is, "I would like to play these game online before pax to win prizes at pax."

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    So far I count 10 games each with one person interested, and 3 games with 2 people interested.

Remember, this isn't a brainstorm for ideas, this is, "I would like to play these game online before pax to win prizes at pax."

Shit, I've been doing this all wrong then.

I'm up for all of the HL multiplayers (TF2, HL, CS, etc), Civ IV, Starcraft, Defcon and Quake on the PC. Ok the 360, I'd be all for GH and/or RB, Madden and/or NCAA (shut up, I like my football), Worms, and the other XBLA multiplayer games that are not coming to mind.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    GodmeatGodmeat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'm up for Halo 3 or GTA IV, or any Half-Life 2 variant (except TF2, since I don't have that...so CS:S, DOD :S, CS, DOD, HL2 DM).

Maybe Dawn of War or Company of Heroes?

Also, I'm always interested in Master of Orion 2, and Heroes of Might and Magic 2, 3, or 4.

Godmeat on
  • Options
    Bad MojoBad Mojo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I am up for COD4, TF2, and Battlefield 2 on PC.

Bad Mojo on
  • Options
    lokar82lokar82 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd go for TF2 on PC even though I just installed it last night and haven't played it yet, sounds fun.

lokar82 on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'd be up for TF2 as well

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Diamond 333Diamond 333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    If there are Xbox Live Tournaments I would love to see Rockband or GH and/or Halo 3. On the Nintendo side of things however, a brawl tournament would be cool. But If we are just talking PC gaming then I am clueless.

Diamond 333 on
  • Options
    The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    iSketch

right the fuck now

The_Reflection on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    iSketch

right the fuck now

Oh god, I forgot about that game. We had so much fun playing that in our high school computer lab.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    About the only things on PC I'm able to play would be Starcraft, and Total Annihilation. Maybe a few other older games. If my computer can run it, I'll probably play it.

Other than that all I've got is a Wii, but I refuse to play SSBB.

And of course I've a DS, but that doesn't lend itself well to online tournaments :P Maybe if a bunch of locals wanted to get together, but that would probably be more work than wanted.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The only thing I could really do would be TF2.
    I have COD4 on PS3 and I have brawl, but those would be hard to do.

MasterHelios on
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    HoLeYHoLeY Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have competed in the following and all has been good with playing these games at least:

World in Conflict
    COD4 (preferred)
    Counterstrike Source
    Sins of Solar Empire (preferred)
    BF2
    BF2142
    CS:S
    Halo3
    GTA4 (team deathmatch)
    Enemy Territory QW
    Frontlines: fuels of war

HoLeY on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    So far here's the list as I got. I didn't include every single game (sorry, sports fans), but if other people express interest, I can certainly add them. If I missed something that has gotten a couple/few mentions, lemme know.
    Battlefield 2
    Atiari
    Bad Mojo
    HoLeY

BF2142
    HoLeY

Carcassonne
    MaoChan

Civ4
    Qs23

CoD4 on PC
    Oz K. Fodrotski
    Bad Mojo
    Lokar82
    HoleY

Company of Heroes
    Comrade One
    asb4545
    Godmeat

CSS
    QS23
    HoLeY

Dawn of War

Godmeat

DEFCON
    Qs23
    Oz K. Fodrotski

Enemy Territory: QW
    HoLeY

Frontlines: Fuels of War
    HoLeY

GTA4
    HoLeY
    Godmeat

Guitar Hero 3

Qs23
    Diamond 333

Halo 3

Oz K. Fodrotski
    Godmeat
    HoLeY

HL2: DM

Oz K. Fodrotski
    QS23

Rock Band:
    QS23
    Diamond 333

Settlers of Catan
    MaoChan

Sins of a Solar Empire
    Oz K. Fodrotski
    HoLeY

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Diamond 333

Starcraft

Oz K. Fodrotski
    Qs23
    Snickers

TF2 on PC
    BigRed
    Crawford
    Oz K. Fodrotski
    Qs23
    Bad Mojo
    proXimity
    MasterHelios

TF2 on XBLA
    MaoChan

Tribes 1/2
    BugsPray

UT2k4
    Atiari

Worms
    Qs23

World in Conflict

HoLeY

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Put me down for UT2k4, Rock Band, CSS, Civ 4 and BF2142. If any of these are selected, I'll gladly play in a tourney of 'em, though I may not be particularly good.

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    i'd play carcassonne or catan

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    iSketch

right the fuck now

Oh hell yes. iSketch is the shit.

MaoChan on
  • Options
    lokar82lokar82 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Pro Evolution Soccer would be a great tournament to have if you're looking for sports games (and I hope you are). Also do you have to sign up for tournaments in advance or is it a first come first served kind of thing, I definitely want to get in on TF2. Yea I'm a noob

lokar82 on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We're looking for whatever you guys wanna play, this is all your deal. Get enough people for a reasonable tournament, lets do it...I don't care what game. Hey, you want an isketch tournament? Sure, we can provide a prize for that.

I'll update the list tomorrow, too much to do, too little time to do it!

David Coffman on
  • Options
    Ukali.KulaUkali.Kula Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    XBL tournaments.....ROCKBAND>>>COD4>>>
    PC Tournaments....DOTA
    In person...?? Rockband, brawl. halo 3, tf2, -i hate some of these games unless its a in person tourney... Up for any game if its in person..

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    None of this is in person....there's plenty of tournaments at pax to fill that void, and that has nothing to do with this.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    DiscoDave wrote: »
    None of this is in person....there's plenty of tournaments at pax to fill that void, and that has nothing to do with this.

I know just figured if many Washingon residents were down for a in person house party/tournament then that could be a PRE-PAX tourney. In that case im in for any game.
    Otherwise im in for Any XBL tourney if i have the game---Rockband, Halo3, COD4, Shadowrun, Topspin 2, perfect dark, LOTR BFME 2, PGR3, Gears of War, Tony hawk Project 8, Madden, Guitar hero 3, The lsit continues..... Comp tourney i love DOTA now.... Just started like 4 months ago.

Ukali.Kula on
  • Options
    s7arbucks7arbuck Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    shadowrun?
    Tf2 (pc only)
    Brawl
    Halo 3
    Gears!
    Cock band
    Guitar hero 2

s7arbuck on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    s7arbuck wrote: »
    shadowrun?
    Tf2 (pc only)
    Brawl
    Halo 3
    Gears!
    Cock band
    Guitar hero 2

OMG...You dont know what shadowrun is? Imagine counterstrike mixed with warcraft... Its liek coutnerstrike but there are races each with unique skills and traits.. You can purchase spells like teleport or purchase technnologies like wings, or see through walls, and guns.... Trolls are slow but you can purchase a stim for em but each stim takes life away but trolls have alot of life...Elfs are fast and little life so typically people purchase teleport and katanas.. and assasinate people. Humans are good all around... Oh elves have healthr egen over time... Dwarves are slow fat short and rely on magic...they have alot of mana....so imagine counterstrike ... a first person shooter with spells, techs, guns and HAWTNESS.. Playable on PC and Xbox.. or xbox vrs PC.. Last PAX there was a Xbox vs PC tourney for it.. Xbox won.. Thanks to me 16 n 0.... Havent played since then.

Ukali.Kula on
This discussion has been closed.