As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WoW Chat and General Questions Thread

• Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Remember how when TBC came out, all of the Azeroth items pretty much inflated like a mother fucker? 20 silver items became a gold to two gold, that sort of thing?

They've inflated more since then. You can likely farm deadmines for good money now...good level 70 money. Average piece of green sub-20 mail gear for my belf paladin: 2-5g.

sim on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I tried GRID and I don't understand shit.
    Being a healer is hard

Fuga on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sim wrote: »
    Remember how when TBC came out, all of the Azeroth items pretty much inflated like a mother fucker? 20 silver items became a gold to two gold, that sort of thing?

They've inflated more since then. You can likely farm deadmines for good money now...good level 70 money. Average piece of green sub-20 mail gear for my belf paladin: 2-5g.

Anyone who plays the auction house knows the money is in leather items. The higher the 'ones' digit, the better. The more 'of the monkey,' even better.

The auction house in WoW is the first side-game in an RPG I've truly enjoyed since fishing in Breath of Fire 3.

Henroid on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Anyone who plays the auction house knows the money is in leather items. The higher the 'ones' digit, the better. The more 'of the monkey,' even better.

The auction house in WoW is the first side-game in an RPG I've truly enjoyed since fishing in Breath of Fire 3.
    This so pisses me off when leveling my enhancement shaman because any non-agility leather wouldn't get put on the AH at all. :(

815165 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    815165 wrote: »

This so pisses me off when leveling my enhancement shaman because any non-agility leather wouldn't get put on the AH at all. :(

Ditto. It shows up sometimes, but the prices end up being just shy of the same.

It's a fucked up double-edge sword. But it can be fought. What it has lead to for me is starting fresh on new servers (not a common practice, I've only rolled on two new servers in the last year) with a class that won't depend on buying from the AH. Caster classes, basically.

Henroid on
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Henroid is a goddamn monster. A greedy, miser who would sell his own momma on the AH for a few gold.
    Here is an artists rendition of Henroid:
    mcduck.jpg

For shame sir.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You've inspired me, good sir.

Now get out of here you bum!

Henroid on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i heart the new prices
    i've never played before BC, and one stack of copper bars cost 20g on my serv. pretty lucky i chose mining as my 1st profession

Fuga on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wasn't really bothered by the massive inflation BC caused until I decided to level my enchanting on a character that had no professions. Buying low level greens for disenchanting got expensive (But was still cheaper than buying the mats outright).

The Starcraft map you guys were talking about (Big Game Hunters) was the one with the huge mineral amount. The original was just 'The Hunters'.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure what people are complaining about with green items and copper stacks going for 5+ gold each, when any new character can easilly mine copper and gets tons of green items while leveling up.

Hell I managed to get gold for the 30 mount on a server I had no other characters on in maybe 1 hour max of mining.

Also quest rewards are there for a reason, and you really don't need to be doing much more for equipment other than hitting the ones for your class. Sure you might need to pick up an ah item or two (for melee especially you need to keep the weapon up to date, but for that see above RE mining and greens) but as far as armor, screw it, just update it all in BC when you get there.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    I tried GRID and I don't understand shit.
    Being a healer is hard
    You just need the right mindset and you'll be able to configure Grid to do whatever you need to do. Grid has a list of indicators, and a list of information. You can link information to indicators.

For example, if I link target health to the 'fill' indicator, then I'll get a moving bar based on that person's health. If I link the 'poisoned' status to the top right corner indicator, then I'll see a little corner jobby when they're poisoned. The complexity lies in the fact that multiple pieces of information can be linked to the same indicators, and then you can prioritize them.

It's really incredibly versatile, and really does have everything you need for a healing raid frame. I'd reccomend downloading some plugins though, specifically either side Indicators or side Icons, just to add that many more configuration options.

I have mine configured as:

The fill is a horizontal bar corresponding to health.
    Line of text 1 is the person's name.
    Line of text 2 is their health deficit
    Top left corner is yellow indicator for disease.
    Top right corner is green indicator for poison.
    Bottom left corner is red for mortal strike.
    Bottom right corner is red for < 20% health.
    Center icon is linked to a set of debuffs I need to watch for on a person. Examples are Encapsulate, Flame Sear, Dark Barrage.
    Right icon is linked to seeing who has earth shield.
    Left icon is linked to seeing who has heroism.
    Bottom icon is linked to raid symbols.
    White outline is selected target which has priority over
    Red outline is someone who currently has aggro from something
    And then I have several additional fill modifiers that fade the filler if out of range, dim it to grey for afk and ghost, and black it out for dead.

Entriech on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ... I'd been thinking about picking up Grid.... now I'm kinda scared of it.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    sim wrote: »

The strange thing is on a couple of servers I play on, it's cloth "of the eagle" gear that's really over priced. I'm talking 40g for items under level 30.

Nobody on
  • Options
    pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    spoiler'd for HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

seems the new hairstyles will be the allready implemented heairstyles shared between races, barring horns for tauren or course

edit: the site seems a little borked at the moment, so if they dont come up thats the reason, but the night elf has a mohawk
    betahairstyles_formattingmale_draenei.jpg
    betahairstyles_formattingmale_orc.jpg
    betahairstyles_formattingmale_tauren.jpg

polloface on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You've inspired me, good sir.

Now get out of here you bum!

What's wrong with Tyler?

Bigity on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Calling bullshit on those so hard, the Night Elf ones look fucking horrible and the Draenei ones are just Blood Elf hairstyles. No way in hell they just gave Orcs re-hashed Undead hair.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    pollofacepolloface Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    could be most likely bullshit seeing as its the guy who did the druid re-skin stuff

but even iff not, some look pretty decent

polloface on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The "mohawk" looks fucking retarded, the one in the Mr. T commercial was 50000x better and it's not like it's something they couldn't pull off if they wanted to.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Forar wrote: »

It's beastly to set up, but I can't really imagine not having it now.

Then again, somehow I'm a complete idiot and missed that there is a config menu, I did all of my setup through cascading menus. O.O

I like to pretend that when I got it there was no config menu, but I'm probably wrong. The cascading menus do have more options, so I do feel slightly better...

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you are ever healing on one of your many alts in a raid, and you don't have Grid, I hope you know that somewhere, somehow I will know and think of you in a quietly disapproving way. Buck up.

Entriech on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And the gathered materials thing works both ways. No alt or new player has any excuse for being short on funds for skills or mounts. Just with mining and/or herbalism, you can keep far ahead of the cash curve for your level without any real effort at all.

Verily. I say this as my 3rd alt is approaching 60, with skinning & herbalism -- and all of his skins have been mailed to either my LW alt or my friend's LW alt, and a lot of his herbs are being banked in preparation for inscription. Similarly, when I was experimenting with starting over fresh on a PvP server I gave all the characters skinning+herb or mine, and all of them were raking in money. Not merely staying afloat, raking it in.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just tried grid + clique out this week, it was pretty amazing. AV is a good way to get familiar with it without concern about wiping a raid.

Grid : The best is how much info it compresses into such a small area. I was expecting a screen filling monstrosity like back in the old days of healing MC.

Clique : You can bind a spell effect when you click on someone's portrait or on their square in grid. I was practicing with left clicking to cast chain heal, but it supports modifiers (ctr, shift etc) and I think can fire off macros as well (so trinket popping + ns + big heal). What made it seem so great was the combination with grid.

nourish on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I've rarely had trouble self-financing a slowbie mount on a new alt, and even epic mounts funds are usually assembled shortly after level 60.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My last levelled character, my hunter, was jewelcrafting and mining. I mined everything I saw, and banked almost all of it because JCing takes shittons of mats. I auctioned most other items I found and DEed greens. When I hit 40, I was short of money for my mount, so I sold almost all of my mining materials(I don't think I should have had to), barring a few that took a day to sell, and was still 30g or so short of my mount.

I've levelled many times and I know not to buy off the AH(I bought one item for 15g, and basically no greens at all) and to DE stuff etc, and I still came up short.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "Shacknews reported that according to Mike Morhaime (Blizzard Entertainment's CEO), Wrath of the Lich King will be released between October and December 2008.

"We have said that it will be coming out this year," Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime revealed in a conference call today. "I can tell you it's not coming in the July to September quarter."

Source!!

A little more confirmation of 2008 release is good news in my book!

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm still betting on a late November/Early December release.

Also, I dig your username/title, Kid Presentable. :^:

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Colour me unsurprised. Good to see them narrowing it down a little (well, to a quarter), but it's better than we've had, officially.

That said, I've been speculating that release period for ages, so... /monocle.

Forar on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm going to give them until the first week of November before I become upset with them and start to give them nasty looks.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Basically confirming what many of us have said for a while? And what Vive... Vivien... Blizzard's corporate partner said a few months ago?

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    That said, I've been speculating that release period for ages, so... /monocle.
    Ditto. Even back when people would give me incredulous looks and responses for daring to be so optimistic.

"Early '09".

Pfft. I mean this is Blizzard we're talking about, but even they would be hard-pressed to go that long without a content update of some sort.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Basically confirming what many of us have said for a while? And what Vive... Vivien... Blizzard's corporate partner said a few months ago?

Vivendi

Seg on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always wondered where the Nicole Richie knockoff was:

84025yv3.jpg

Cool thing is that you need the Eye of Divinity to see her.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hah, that's cool, I never knew that.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hahahaha, is that new? Someone just discovering that w/ Eye of Divinity if it's been in so long makes me incredibly giddy.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Earliest report I'm seeing of it so far is from April 2008 on WoWHead.

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Hahahaha, is that new?
    I think she was added in Patch 2.3.3. At least, that's where the earliest WoWHead comments start.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wouldn't count all your chickens and all that. This IS Blizzard we're talking about :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The beta realms will be going down at 10:00 PM CEST to apply an update. We anticipate approximately six hours of downtime.

Your patience and understanding are appreciated.

Well that was awful quick, maybe stuff for classes that didn't get changed last push eg: Warriors, Rogues?

Mgcw on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Yeah, I've rarely had trouble self-financing a slowbie mount on a new alt, and even epic mounts funds are usually assembled shortly after level 60.

Well, recently on my hunter I had issues, but I blame leatherworking.

33 gold gained total. Spent on all non-mount training in various forms, 25 gold. Skinning might as well not exist because all of the leather goes into the blackhole that is leatherworking.

Although, I'd probably have a lot of gold to spare if I took double gathering, or even just one gathering and nothing on the side. Also, while I vendored some greens, there were a couple greens I sent off to my bank alt, so I was probably in the clear even with leatherworking.

Not really an issue though, since my main has enough gold.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Skins going to Leatherworking for skillups is fine.

You then use an enchanter friend or alt to D/E the assorted shitty greens into dusts/essences/shards, which sell remarkably well, and have the double benefit of not requiring a deposit fee.

Forar on
This discussion has been closed.