As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obilex' Speedpainting Thread

2»

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    You are getting dangerously close to replacing my wallpaper, sir. Thanks for linking the big one, or I wouldn't have found that little city there. I really like the fireflies(?) amongst plants thing.

Now what is going on with the area under the cloud? Is it a really really heavy rain?

Tam on
  • Options
    ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    yea i was going for the heavy rain thing, because we have a gigantic overlook at my work where i can see thunderstorms from a far. Now that i look at it more, i bet i could make the rain even more recognizable but i have no clue how to go about this. Any suggestions?

Obilex on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Obilex wrote: »
    yea i was going for the heavy rain thing, because we have a gigantic overlook at my work where i can see thunderstorms from a far. Now that i look at it more, i bet i could make the rain even more recognizable but i have no clue how to go about this. Any suggestions?
    The sky is too unrealistic to allow for recognizable rain, I'm afraid. I thought it was a high cliff at first. Probably because the cloud has a rough structure.

Aldo on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Try softening the edges and don't make the individual strokes so visible. I agree with Aldo though, I don't think you'll get immediately recognizable rain in this one.

Tam on
  • Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Rain doesn't fall straight down like that. Does it? I've never seen it like that. It's always at an angle. I think.

Great work though.

JRosey on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JRosey wrote: »
    Rain doesn't fall straight down like that. Does it? I've never seen it like that. It's always at an angle. I think.

Great work though.
    Rain can fall down straight, but I think it is recognizable if it is at an angle. I also thought about what else would make the rain look a little more recognizable and tried that out in photoshop. I made the rain a bit darker and made the mountains behind the rain more viewable. This is just done real quick and dirty, but maybe you kinda get what I was going for? Iunno, I'm no good at drawing, but I couldn't think of a way to describe it with words, so there.

obilexcropoutorangerainoc5.jpg

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thanks for that guys, diagonal rain is definitely more recognizable.

trying a different style, changin stuff up
    no clue, real quick monster type thorn/straw man thing?

thornsmall.jpg
    thorn-1.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think you're relying too heavily on custom brushes. I've fallen into the same trap before, but I try my hardest to avoid it. It's good for an initial concept, but it shouldn't be as obvious as it is in your latest piece. It looks like you used two brushes throughout the entire painting.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hey, guys. Back from the dead. I go on long spells where i forget that i have threads to update and stuff. anyhoo, back with a robot

WHOA2.jpg

Obilex on
  • Options
    JensenJensen Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    sweet, the one you did for your grandma is my wallpaper, i dig ;)

Jensen on
    signaturedisgaea.png