Options

What's the freezing point of Champagne?

SkwirlSkwirl Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
We have about half a case of champagne left over fom New Years and I've been thinking of storing it in the garage so it will be nice and cold if we want some in the near future. However at night the temperature has been getting down into the low twenties and obviously I don't want it to freeze and explode. I know you can keep hard alcohol in your freezer but the champagne is only 11.5% alcohol. Does anybody know what the freezing point is, so I could check the five day forcast and figure out if it's safe? Even better would be a formula, because we have some beer as well, and that has even less alcohol in it.

Skwirl on

• Options
    matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found this on Google.
    Short of freezing a bottle of bubbly myself, here are some temperature points I found online:

Crystals begin to form: -4C/25F
    For making sorbet: -22C/-8F
    Disgorgement: -25C/-13F
    Ideal serving temp: 7C/45F

matthias00 on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If the temperature in your area deviates from above freezing to the twenties on a regular basis, it's going to ruin the flavor of the champagne. Wines can handle being stored at a single temperature for a long time, even being froze, but constantly being brought up and down does nasty stuff to wine and tends to make it taste really gross.

supabeast on