As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

American McGees Grimm Epsode 1 free 7/31 only!

2»

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to revise my opinion. This is pretty much shit. Poorly rendered, poorly presented, rife with unfunny toilet humour. It barely even qualifies as a game. I would honestly like my half hour back.

Entriech on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I thought it was pretty fun. Considering it cost me nothing to play, I don't have any complaints. Graphics are charming, controls are alright, it's pretty funny and overall I enjoyed it.

That's totally fine! The thing is, in my opinion, I'm sure whoever is bankrolling this thing won't be pleased that it's being relegated to a status occupied by flash games and whatnot.

Asking money, real money, for a game like this will not bode well.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    myvillainmyvillain __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    firewaterword, its possible with new episodes, it'll become more interesting and more fun. Who knows? So while this episode might not be worth money to most of us, maybe others will. And even then, we can get every episode for free as long as we DL it on the right date.

And the people bankrolling it wont care. The majority of the profits are coming from their advertisers Im sure when the massive amounts of traffic go through the site to DL it and have to watch the commercial.

myvillain on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    myvillain wrote: »
    firewaterword, it's possible with new episodes, it'll become more interesting and more fun. Who knows? So while this episode might not be worth money to most of us, maybe others will. And even then, we can get every episode for free as long as we DL it on the right date.

And the people bankrolling it won't care. The majority of the profits are coming from their advertisers Im sure when the massive amounts of traffic go through the site to DL it and have to watch the commercial.

I hope so! Don't get me wrong man, I really, really liked Alice.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If my name was fucking American McGee I would slap that shit on everything.

Can't blame the guy for having a freakin badass name can you?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    If my name was fucking American McGee I would slap that shit on everything.

Can't blame the guy for having a freakin badass name can you?

this guy knows whats what

Jives on
  • Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Alice was great. I'd like more Alice and less of this, please.

Lezta on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the new one is up. Has anybody played it?

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Considering most reviews have said this first episode was pretty darn shallow, and that our marquee-lusting friend has promised 24 freaking episodes of this, I'm really curious.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That is why I am downloading the second one. I am willing to give it a second chance.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Played both episodes. I think the first one had cooler visuals, but the second one had more platformy goodness.

Overall the episodes seem pretty fun and original so far, but would I pay for them? Probably not.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The fairy tale story is better in the original (or whatever you call the one in the Grimm book) than in the video game. It is also creepier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_the_Youth_Who_Went_Forth_to_Learn_What_Fear_Was
    A father had two sons, the younger, when his father asked him what he would like to learn, to support himself, he said he would like to learn to shudder. A sexton told the father that he could teach the boy. Having taught him to ring the church bell, he sent him one midnight to ring it, and then came after him, dressed as a ghost. The boy demands what he's about. When the sexton doesn't answer, the boy, unafraid, pushes him down the stairs, breaking his leg.

His horrified father turns him out of house, and the boy sets out to learn how to shudder and complaining whenever he can, "If only I could shudder!" One man advises him to stay the night beneath a gallows, where seven hanged men were still hanging. He does so, and sets a fire. When the hanged bodies shake in the wind, he thinks they must be cold, so he cuts them down. Their clothing catches on fire, and the boy, annoyed at their carelessness, hangs them back up again.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    They're decent free games.

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Seeing as all you fine people have gametap, if for some reason you have not purchased Psychonauts, I demand you download it off gametap. It's free and amazing.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok, so I've played through both games and I have to say that I loved them. I really liked the visual style, all of the little details, the characters, the sceneries, the objectives and the flow of the story. I would really love to buy them, maybe at 5$-10$ each.

Does anyone know if the series is coming to Steam?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm pretty sure it will be exclusive to Gametap for a while. Apparently there has been talks of having different means of distribution, but nothing has been confirmed.

EDIT: I think each game should be 2 dollars. That way 24 episodes would cost around 50 dollars, and it would be just like buying 1 game with a ton of content.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I don't get all the hate. For what it is (a silly diversion for 30-120 minutes a week), I think it's pretty good. Judging from episode 2 which featured more platforming & more effective cleaners, it looks like the episodes are going to gradually get more difficult and interesting (and from what I've read, episode 3 will start introducing power-ups). And hey, if you want the game to be a bit more deep, try getting a Gold medal in time; some of the levels are really tough to ace and really force you to have a plan of attack.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    can we please call this game American McGrimm?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Quick question: When downloading games with Gametap, where are all the game files stored?

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Quick question: When downloading games with Gametap, where are all the game files stored?

Assuming your root directory is C: -

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GameTap

Be advised that this is merely a collection of numbered folders. To figure out which folder belongs to which game, go inside and look at the Contents.txt file.

Also, don't expect to find the original game files; it uses a proprietary virtual disc image mounting system to load each game, and all the files are hidden in there.

edit: note that Application Data is a hidden folder, so you have to have "View hidden folders and files" checked in your folder options.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ah, so I guess I won't be able to mod anything.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, that's the bad thing about GameTap - their DRM scheme prevents any kind of file access. Mods can only be loaded through the game's menu, which means of course that a game has to support mods from the main menu. Some do, like Baldur's Gate, but you can't use file hacks like engine tweaks or fan patches for games like Fallout - which is a real shame, because they make the game a lot better. I'm waiting for GOG in that respect, it should allow access to all that good stuff.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Has anyone played the third episode? I loved it! It felt so much better than the other two and had a little bit of both worlds, exploring and platforming along with a nice story and wonderful sceneries :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, the variety of levels was pretty sweet.
    I didn't think the dark versions of the levels looked as cool as they did in the other eps though.
    If every episode is going to be free for a day I'll never have to pay for one! Nor do I ever plan on paying for one. Not the greatest marketing strategy.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I loved the fountains of blood and there were lots of people getting killed on this episode :D and the word bitch, I was actually surprised when I heard it, I always thought this appealed to young people too but heh, guess not.

I really hope this comes to Steam so that I may be able to buy it whenever I have the money for it (in a million years)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So has anyone tried Puss in Boots yet? I won't be able to play it 'til I get back from work (just started it downloading), but I did notice that the file size for the episode is about 50% bigger than any of the previous episodes.

RainbowDespair on