As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phantom Lapboard?!?

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
I remember all the hoopla surrounding the Phantom console years ago, they dropped it and concentrated on the lapboard which was a cool fucking idea. Thought they went out of business till I came across it's review, apparently you can buy it now. LOL.

Besides all the controversy they had with HardOCP I am actually happy for Phantom for finally coming out with their product. If Microsoft supported this as a peripheral for their 360 I would definitely get one as I can't play FPS games that long on a game controller.

So thoughts, anybody thinking of buying one for their HTPC?

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2326274,00.asp

0,1425,sz=1&i=188712,00.jpg

LondonBridge on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Microsoft supported this as a peripheral for their 360 I would definitely get one as I can't play FPS games that long on a game controller.

If this connects to a regular USB dongle and presents itself as a regular HID (Human Interface Device) then it should work. Should also work with the PS3/Wii as well.

But yeah, colour me surprised that it actually came out.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It seems rather overpriced for what you get, the review makes it sound like an extremely cheap keyboard and mouse attached to a fancy stand =\

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It seems rather overpriced for what you get, the review makes it sound like an extremely cheap keyboard and mouse attached to a fancy stand =\

Quality wireless KB/M + $25 beanbag Lapdesk = Win?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Microsoft supported this as a peripheral for their 360 I would definitely get one as I can't play FPS games that long on a game controller.

If this connects to a regular USB dongle and presents itself as a regular HID (Human Interface Device) then it should work. Should also work with the PS3/Wii as well.

uh, what?

No, 360 peripherals don't work that way; you aren't allowed to use anything as a game controller that doesn't have a special Microsoft DRM chip in it.

edit: also, $129? No.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

uh, what?

No, 360 peripherals don't work that way; you aren't allowed to use anything as a game controller that doesn't have a special Microsoft DRM chip in it.

Oops. /facepalms

I thought he meant "use it as a keyboard and mouse on the 360" for any games that eventually support that, like how UT3 on PS3 supports USB KB/M.

But then you get the inherent problem of the KB/M users raping the faces right off the gamepadders.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

uh, what?

Oops. /facepalms

I thought he meant "use it as a keyboard and mouse on the 360" for any games that eventually support that, like how UT3 on PS3 supports USB KB/M.

But then you get the inherent problem of the KB/M users raping the faces right off the gamepadders.

There's that, although the Shadowrun folks allegedly figured out how to balance that.

There's also the issue of Microsoft being really anal with their controller licensing.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008

uh, what?

Oops. /facepalms

There's that, although the Shadowrun folks allegedly figured out how to balance that.

There's also the issue of Microsoft being really anal with their controller licensing.

Microsoft has the best controller ever IMHO as I use the USB version for flight/action games on my PC. I just couldn't imagine using it on RTS games, I need that precision dammit!

Microsoft could win over the hard core PC gamers like me if they supported mouse & keyboard or made a peripheral like the lapboard. The lapboard, like any other new product, is expensive but from experience is better idea than placing a desk on my couch. :lol:

Update:

I was looking at buying one and saw they're out of stock, now I want one even more. Ugh!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Auto-aim cone of death != game balance

Azio on