As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Wii being a biatch. Help please.

DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
So I bought my dad a Wii but the thing will not work on his TV. Its kinda old but it HAS shown up on there, but its random. We were hitting buttons for about 20 minutes and it suddenly changed to AV and there we have it, but its not convenient and the same prodding tonight achieved nothing. I brought it home, attached it to a larger, newer but still very old CRT tv and same problem. No remote so can't manually change to AV but plug something like a DVD player in, it will automatically force it to the AV so why doesn't the Wii do this?

Any idea what may be wrong or is it fucked without a remote to change to AV manually?

DarkWarrior on

• Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You try doing channel down as far as you can? Sometimes a TV will put the AV channel between the highest and lowest channels, you know where you'd wrap around from 2 to 99 or whatever the highest channel is?

If not and you lost the remote, you may be out of luck. Check the TV manual if you still have it to see if there's a way to change to the AV. You should probably get a replacement remote or a universal one.

If you have the remote, there is definitely something specific you need to press to get to that channel. May be a "TV/AV" button like on mine, or an Input button or something like that.

My TV doesn't automatically change to the channel for anything. I have to use the remote if I want to watch DVDs or play my Wii.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is a chance that if the TV is receiving only one video feed from somewhere, it will take it. So if anything else is plugged in with the Wii, it's only taking the other one.
    How are the DVD player and Wii hooked up? Do they replace each other?
    There is another chance that you're tltally fucked without the remote. Since it doesn't sound like a full home theatre setup and just some old equipment, you may be able to find a replacement remote on-line somewhere.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Only the Wii was plugged in at one point and nothing so no interference. Do all universal remotes do infra-red? And if so will I need codes for the TV or it will it be able to hook up?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There ARE universal remotes that do RF, but you need to be buying that specifically to get one with it. As far as you should be concered, it's all IR. My experience with cheap universal remotes is that they come with a booklet that give you the codes to input into the remote.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The argos website only seems to say that it works with TV's which I assume means IR. I'll have to go down there and check it out.

Thanks for hte help.

DarkWarrior on