As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AMD vs Intel

ArvoArvo Registered User regular
I'm trying to put together a new computer and still have not come up with a solid answer on what to get for a processor. I've asked alot of people's opinion on it and the split between these two are still right down the middle. So is there anywhere that I can get cold hard facts on pricing vs power? I've dug around newegg and can't really tell.

Keep in mind I only know what I'm doing to an extent. This is a computer that won't do much besides games. And its only gunna be a middle of the road PC. I read Newegg and half the language on power and models are lost on me. So I don't really know how to compare the 2.

Vertro.png
5090509oKRAv.png<<<Links to Armory
Arvo on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    1. Computer Build Thread. Top of the forum. Can't miss it.
    2. I don't know who you've been asking, but if we're talking about the latest models, Intel beats AMD like a rented mule.
    3. Compare based on performance for the money is correct - you need to get off the shopping sites and onto the reviews (HardOCP, Anandtech, etc). See Step 1 - post your budget, read what other people have assembled for the money, etc.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It depends on your budget, but unless you're going really cheap you'll probably be best off with Intel right now.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    It depends on your budget, but unless you're going really cheap you'll probably be best off with Intel right now.

Even at that point, I'd suggest that someone in that scenario find a way to scrape together the $50 or so difference in price between the AMD and Intel platforms, and just go with the latter.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Low-cost AMD motherboards typically have a much fuller set of features than comparably low-cost Intel boards, though. You need to hit like $120 to get RAID in an Intel board, for instance.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Low-cost AMD motherboards typically have a much fuller set of features than comparably low-cost Intel boards, though. You need to hit like $120 to get RAID in an Intel board, for instance.

True dat. A 780G board is about $80, and is pretty much fully loaded if you're not after CrossFire - which you shouldn't be, in a budget situation.

I'd be hard-pressed to find a scenario where I'd suggest AMD though. Maybe in extremely low-budget cases, or where an existing system is supplying donor parts.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'd recommend AMD right now

a) for a non-gaming system (say, an HTPC box)

b) for a cheap quad-core

c) (rarer than AMD marketing suggests but actually happens at times) when you really need an actual quad-core and not two dual-core chips on the FSB.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your budget is basically what decides it. From the sounds of it (mid-range machine) you'll be better off with Intel, but letting us know how much money you're spending and if you're carrying over any parts from your old machine would help us know for sure.

Go AMD if the price difference means going from a mid-range to a high-end video card, for example. If you like overclocking, both work well on the low end but Intel's work significantly better on the high end.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Combined costs (motherboard and CPU) are notably less with AMD, for a low-budget system in the range of $400-500. This is particularly important when building a cheap gaming system, where you want to maximize the amount of video card you get for your build.

I'd say combined costs would be closer to $75 less for an AMD build, all in all. That could be a good fifth of the price for a minimum-cost machine.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I move lots of AMD systems still. AMD makes for putting together a cheap and very full featured machine. While moving to an Intel CPU might only tack on 50$ (actually more, people have to make money y'know;)) the otherwise lost features are massive: right now with what I sell switching from AMD to Intel on low end means going from 8 USB ports, 1 firewire, HDMI, DVI, VGA, digital audio output, a whole load of analogue audio inputs and outputs, and hardware bluray decoding, to... 3 analogue audio in/out, 4 USB, and VGA.

You get a lot of machine out of a budget AMD rig. A budget Intel rig lets you know you're on a budget.

Doesn't take long to catch up though on the Intel side, so it's definitely the budget where AMD still reigns king. AMD needs to get those Phenoms scaling...

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    I move lots of AMD systems still. AMD makes for putting together a cheap and very full featured machine. While moving to an Intel CPU might only tack on 50$ (actually more, people have to make money y'know;)) the otherwise lost features are massive: right now with what I sell switching from AMD to Intel on low end means going from 8 USB ports, 1 firewire, HDMI, DVI, VGA, digital audio output, a whole load of analog audio inputs and outputs, and hardware bluray decoding, to... 3 analague audio in/out, 4 USB, and VGA.

Yes, this. Seriously, for non-gaming systems, AMD is still king. Go with Intel if you're building a gaming rig, though.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Your budget would help a lot in putting parts together.

If raid isn't a big deal I would get this mobo. Then go to a Microcenter (if you have one around) and get an e8400 with the new revision for $150. I would go with either a ATI 4850 or 4870 for the GPU, Antec 300 for the case, Corsair 750TX for the PSU, either a Corsair or OCZ 2X2GB DDR2 800 Cas4 ram kit and this HDD.

You should be able to figure out the rest.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The budget is a problem cause I don't know how much it to much. I don't really want to go over 150 for the processor.

But I'm not really thinking about a price to start with, cause I'm somewhat flexable. I'm just trying to figure out which would be the best buy. And it seems like here is the same way where its 50/50.

I realize now this fits under the "computer build" category, but I'm justifying it as a thread about the processor differences.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For $150 I would get the e8400. AMD doesn't have anything to counter it when it comes to gaming.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You must live in the future, because over here in August the E8400 costs more than $150.

That said, I recently bought a E7200, for $120, because I hear it overclocks beautifully (yay 45nm!). Once I get it, I'll tell you guys how it went.

edit: yeah, just double-checked. E8400 is $170. You might be able to find an open-box item for $150, but then you could also go to Vegas and put that $150 on a roulette wheel.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

It certainly could hit the $150 mark if caught on a sale (though I don't know if Newegg often offers sales/rebates on Intel products)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

It certainly could hit the $150 mark if caught on a sale (though I don't know if Newegg often offers sales/rebates on Intel products)

Newegg offers sales whenever intel drops their prices, or when items are selling poorly. Neither apply to the E8400.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I said at Microcenter it is $150. Which it is and it's the new EO revision.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281097

edit: 33 in stock in the Boston area.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I said at Microcenter it is $150. Which it is and it's the new EO revision.

http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0281097

edit: 33 in stock in the Boston area.

I don't feel like driving to fuck knows where just for it to be out of stock when I get there. But like I said before, I'm flexible on price if it meant a good deal.

Arvo on
    Vertro.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    After tax and gas it would be in your interest to get it off of Newegg. I was suggesting Microcenter because it was the cheapest. I would settle for no less than an e8400 though.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    After tax and gas it would be in your interest to get it off of Newegg. I was suggesting Microcenter because it was the cheapest. I would settle for no less than an e8400 though.

the e7200 allegedly hits 3.4ghz easily on the stock Intel cooler. I'll let you guys know firsthand how high mine can safely go once I get mine (hopefully) later this week. But it's on the same 45nm process as the E8400, so it should clock pretty high.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i got an AMD Phenom Quad 9750, AM2+ for $150 canadian and i love it. PLus the motherboard it runs on had way more features than the one that was the same price but used Intel. Just a thought since he wanted to stick around $150 for a processor. Plus AMD overall from what ive heard around is more stable/reliable, if less powerfull.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dude, step 1 in any build is to price according to a master budget. If you come in under, great, look at upgrading based on how far under your budget you came. Set a number ($700? $1000?) and get back to us.

Oh, and post your Q in the build thread.

1ddqd on