Options

Sexism, Sarah Palin, Penny Arcade, and Politics

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
McCain just nominated Alaskan governor Sarah Palin as his VP.

You motherfuckers need to stop all discussion of how how she is, whether or not she is a MILF, whether or not you could "get behind her," and all other stupid bullshit.

I don't care about "freedom of speech" or the offensive nature of Penny Arcade. I don't even personally give a shit about such sexist comments because I understand they are ironic.

But you are contributing to a general atmosphere that is dangerous in this election. "Sexism in the media" was a huge grievance by Clinton's supporters. Fact: we are the new media. There are no clear boundaries between the "traditional media" and web forums. Many media outlets are blogs and webforums.

So stop it. Grow the fuck up. Train yourselves not to make those comments. Unless you want McCain and, presuming he dies early, his insane creationist sidekick running the country.

Qingu on

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    can we stop fucking talking about how she looks? it couldn't matter less and it's really pathetic.

I thought it made us look bad.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't even know what to say really. It's just a joke. How is it Sexism? Did you post about how it's Ageism when people get on how McCain is so old, he'll probably just die in office? Seriously... if you can't take a joke just ignore it.

Honestly, what do you expect from people?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So the forums are the media now and so we can't say naughty things? Things that are loosely related are not the same thing. Penny Arcade being on the same internets as "media outlets" make them equivalent about as much as the bread in my cabinet being peanut butter because it's also in the cabinet.

You know how insane this sounds, right?

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It doesn't matter what it is, it matters how it looks. And that shit spreads.

Hoz on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or hey, maybe sexism makes you a douchebag regardless of whether it’s a joke or whether you’re a public figure.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    You motherfuckers need to stop all discussion of how how she is, whether or not she is a MILF, whether or not you could "get behind her," and all other stupid bullshit.
    You know there is a whole lot of commentary here about how attractive Obama is, and also how much of a hottie McCain was in his younger days, right?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know there is a whole lot of commentary here about how attractive Obama is, and also how much of a hottie McCain was in his younger days, right?

Not to mention erotic Obama fiction.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This thread delivers.

Oh wait, no.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is Penny Arcade. Fuck you douchenozzle.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I propose the following:

If you, Penny Arcade denizen, agree with my premise, then take an oath right here:

I hereby solemnly declare that I shall never make sexist comments or jokes, and if I encounter them in discourse, whether online or real, I shall endeavor to make it known forcefully that such discourse will not stand in civilized society.

And, as the shakespeare lady pointed out, there is plenty of legitimate stuff to attack Palin with.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Men don’t have a history of being sexual objects.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say really. It's just a joke. How is it Sexism? Did you post about how it's Ageism when people get on how McCain is so old, he'll probably just die in office? Seriously... if you can't take a joke just ignore it.

uhhh... it's a joke how?

Variable on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Men don’t have a history of being sexual objects.
    Is this a joke post?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I couldn't give a shit.

I don't care about what's fair, or logical. I made it clear that this isn't what I'm talking about.

I care about losing Clinton supporters to McCain because people on this forum are perceived as sexist. If, by acting against sexism, we prevent even one Clinton supporter from defecting, it will be well worth the lack of stupid-ass MILF jokes.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I no longer support this thread.

stilist on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Or hey, maybe sexism makes you a douchebag regardless of whether it’s a joke or whether you’re a public figure.

Or hey, people make jokes.

Bush can be a dipshit cowboy. McCain can be a senile fogey. Better jump to defend Palin when someone says she's a MILF though. Lord knows how sexist it is to poke fun at her like everyone else. We'd better treat her differently since she's a woman, that's less sexist.

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I couldn't give a shit.

I don't care about what's fair, or logical. I made it clear that this isn't what I'm talking about.

I care about losing Clinton supporters to McCain because people on this forum are perceived as sexist. If, by acting against sexism, we prevent even one Clinton supporter from defecting, it will be well worth the lack of stupid-ass MILF jokes.

This is a compelling argument, but the other posts suggesting that it's intrinsically wrong to make jokes about women which are similar to jokes being made about men are silly.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    if over the next few months talk comes up about how she looks, like has happened with mccain and obama, I don't think that's an issue. I was bothered by the fact that there was a response almost equal the the policy-type related responses about how she looks and all that. That was why I personally said what I said, I can't speak for everyone else.

Variable on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I couldn't give a shit.

I'm not American so I have little invested in who your President is.

I would totally have sex with that woman.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Joon wrote: »

Or hey, people make jokes.

Bush can be a dipshit cowboy. McCain can be a senile fogey. Better jump to defend Palin when someone says she's a MILF though. Lord knows how sexist it is to poke fun at her like everyone else. We'd better treat her differently since she's a woman, that's less sexist.

I will once again mention that this isn't actually a joke. unless you find it funny to say someone is attractive that you don't find attractive? I mean, what am I missing here?

Variable on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This thread made me look up who she was to see if she was hot or not.

Congratulations - you made me objecify her. I feel so violated.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can tell you, as an Alaskan, that a good large section of the more outspoken members of the State, cannot stand this woman. It's more or less because she actually has a pair of balls and isn't a part of the old boy's club and that riles a lot of folks up.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Her older daughter is not off limits, though, right?

Hoz on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Backlash against VP hotness is strange. You're not allowed to notice that a potential elected official is attractive? No one has ever noted that Obama is good looking?

what

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah this ranks pretty high on both my "Big Fucking Deal" and "Backhanded Sexism" meters.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

uhhh... it's a joke how?

How is it NOT a joke? What does it matter what people say about her? I don't understand how it's sexism for someone to talk about how she looks. They are joking about how hot she is. Plus, who are you guys to dictate what's right and wrong. I just don't care what people say, that's me. Personally I feel that if noone is intending to be sexist by their remarks, then where's the harm? If it's intentional, then yeah, that's pretty bad. I'm done with this thread. You fuckers are just looking for something to bitch about for no real reason. No harm has even been caused yet, but you are complaining like it's the end of the fucking world.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Backlash against VP hotness is strange. You're not allowed to notice that a potential elected official is attractive? No one has ever noted that Obama is good looking?

what

I responded to this point above with, obviously, my own opinion on the subject.

Fully admit I could be over reacting and all that. Actually I shouldn't say over reacting since I'm not even the one who made this thread, but I could be wrong. it just didn't really seem a good way for so many of us to be responding to me.

Variable on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    lol free speech lol

Seriously though, how is this anything groundbreaking that we would take the piss out of a politician?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So you're saying the personal appearance of the potential Vice President means nothing? Yeah, ok.

The fact that she is female, and that she is indeed hot-matters more than any single one of us would care to admit. When positioned against McCain, it's most certainly a power move. So what I'm saying is that it is quite impossible to remove her sex, and more noticeably her appearance.

Crayon on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Yeah this ranks pretty high on both my "Big Fucking Deal" and "Backhanded Sexism" meters.

To clarify both of my meter titles, "Big Fucking Deal" is sarcastic, and the "Backhanded Sexism" refers to people leaping to the defense of the poor oppressed-by-sexism woman who can't defend herself and not to the defense of older-than-fuck my-bones-are-dust McCain being attacked by ageism.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't respect her at all, because she's contemptible for ignoring the needs of her kid, but Qingu is right. How she looks should have no bearing on whether or not you vote for her, and it's just as sexist if you say it "jokingly" as if you say it seriously. It diminishes her based on gender, and it makes you look like a miserable shit if you do it.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2008

uhhh... it's a joke how?

How is it NOT a joke? What does it matter what people say about her? I don't understand how it's sexism for someone to talk about how she looks. They are joking about how hot she is. Plus, who are you guys to dictate what's right and wrong. I just don't care what people say, that's me. Personally I feel that if noone is intending to be sexist by their remarks, then where's the harm? If it's intentional, then yeah, that's pretty bad. I'm done with this thread. You fuckers are just looking for something to bitch about for no real reason. No harm has even been caused yet, but you are complaining like it's the end of the fucking world.

please don't leave the thread. apart from everything else, I'm really curious about this joke thing.

alright. woman is attractive. people post about her being attractive. people post about wanting to fuck her. people debate over whether she is fuckable or not. where in this is the motherfucking joke? I want to know. I like jokes. I like to laugh. this seems like a discussion on the attractiveness of a person, not a fucking joke. right? right.

also, and again, the problem is, the problem I had anyway, is that at least 50% of the reaction to this massive political move (good or bad, it's a big day in this election) was how this now very prominent political figure for at least the next few months was whether someone wants to fuck her or not. you don't see a problem with that? as I said above, and referenced above, if this came up over time, or was mentioned today at some point, or even right off the bat in passing, that's fine. Someone thinks she looks good, that's fine. But to have some ongoing discussion about is she hot, is she not, would you fuck her, would you not, on the day when we're talking about the implications of her being picked as the VP for the pub ticket in the 2008 election seemed really silly to me.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    A lot of people aren't thorough readers.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I also don't think I'd have used the word sexism. I don't believe I did in my post in the politics thread or in here, if I did I'd actually take it back. I just thought it was an unnecessary topic.

Variable on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Litejedi wrote: »
    I don't respect her at all, because she's contemptible for ignoring the needs of her kid, but Qingu is right. How she looks should have no bearing on whether or not you vote for her, and it's just as sexist if you say it "jokingly" as if you say it seriously. It diminishes her based on gender, and it makes you look like a miserable shit if you do it.

You fail to realize that we are, in fact, mostly miserable shits. While I do agree to a certain extent, her sex is extremely important. And yeah, her looks aren't at the front-but her sex certainly is.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

uhhh... it's a joke how?

please don't leave the thread. apart from everything else, I'm really curious about this joke thing.

alright. woman is attractive. people post about her being attractive. people post about wanting to fuck her. people debate over whether she is fuckable or not. where in this is the motherfucking joke? I want to know. I like jokes. I like to laugh. this seems like a discussion on the attractiveness of a person, not a fucking joke. right? right.

also, and again, the problem is, the problem I had anyway, is that at least 50% of the reaction to this massive political move (good or bad, it's a big day in this election) was how this now very prominent political figure for at least the next few months was whether someone wants to fuck her or not. you don't see a problem with that? as I said above, and referenced above, if this came up over time, or was mentioned today at some point, or even right off the bat in passing, that's fine. Someone thinks she looks good, that's fine. But to have some ongoing discussion about is she hot, is she not, would you fuck her, would you not, on the day when we're talking about the implications of her being picked as the VP for the pub ticket in the 2008 election seemed really silly to me.

You don't find the "I could get behind her" a joke? Similar phrases can be called jokes as well. It's like I say to a friend, "Dude your mom is hot, I wanna bang her, blah blah blah." It's a joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's not meant to do anything but call attention to the level of attractivness of said friends mom. What more do you want me to say?

Also, I'd like to point out that people made similar comments about how Clinton and how ugly she is. IIRC, the Daily Show would do this just as much. Hell, I expect that the Daily Show will make a few jokes about Palin's obvious attactiveness.

I don't really know how to explain it's a joke. It's like trying to explain how "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side." is a joke.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TechieZeroTechieZero Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

LOL +1 Man.

TechieZero on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't find Palin that hot. Now Elizabeth Dole, damn.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    edited August 2008

uhhh... it's a joke how?

You don't find the "I could get behind her" a joke? Similar phrases can be called jokes as well. It's like I say to a friend, "Dude your mom is hot, I wanna bang her, blah blah blah." It's a joke. It's not meant to be taken seriously. It's not meant to do anything but call attention to the level of attractivness of said friends mom. What more do you want me to say?

Also, I'd like to point out that people made similar comments about how Clinton and how ugly she is. IIRC, the Daily Show would do this just as much. Hell, I expect that the Daily Show will make a few jokes about Palin's obvious attactiveness.

I don't really know how to explain it's a joke. It's like trying to explain how "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side." is a joke.

I saw one person say "I could get behind her" which is a jokey way to reference how she looks. same with milf, a way of jokingly talking only about how she looks. then on top of that there was a lot of just straight talk about how she looks which was not a joke at all, that's more what I'm talking about. I was talking about an entire topic of conversation, you're talking about one or two posts.

I mean, do you really think the line "I could get behind her" is all that funny? and do you also think the person who said it didn't mean it? a topic of the convo over a few pages in that thread was how this person looks. and not in a "the fact that she's good looking may get them votes" way, which is a fair way of talking about it I guess. Whether a particular line addressed it in a jokey way or not doesn't make the entire discussion a joke.

Variable on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sexist jokes are like racist jokes. We probably shouldn't tell them, because trivializing something like that through humour desensitizes us to the actual problem, but we will continue to do so as long as those attitudes persist, and because (most of the time) the joke-teller is trying to be ironic. A sexist joke is funny because the attitudes behind it are ridiculous.

On the other hand, these are barely jokes, and diminishing a woman in authority by reducing her to physical appearance is a common and problematic response. Making a joke isn't so bad, but the sheer volume of discussion over her appearance is troubling.

Evil Multifarious on