As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Relating to Tycho's post today- Webcomic

eric3deeeric3dee Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Artist's Corner
Ok- so I'm a long time avid PA reader, but this is my first time on the forums-- only because after reading Tycho's post today about Guitar Praise, I had to share my own Webcomic relating to this very topic. Its a little over a month old now- and oddly enough was done before the whole RockBand N64 mishap:

2008-07-25_crossRawk.jpg

actual link is here:
http://boodachitaville.com/?p=58

I'll apologize in advance to the slight similarities between Boodachitaville's Eric and PA's Gabe.. but, heck, PA just has that big of an influence on me ;)

eric3dee on

• FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    *post removed*

Whoa wrong board... Where am I?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EdmanEdman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I always go into a webcomic expecting it to suck, but I got a few chuckles after reading some of your archives, especially the shofar bit (although you used an odd alternate spelling for it).

As far as critique on this one: I'd say the whole thing would have more punch if you just dropped the second panel. The jokes in there are kinda' weak, but they could be worked into a funny second strip on the topic.

Edman on
  • eric3deeeric3dee Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    edmangoodrich-- I do agree with you about the second panel... but I think many of the evangelicals round here (I'm in the center of the Bible Belt) seem to really laugh at those jokes- but I do agree they seem a bit shoehorned in. I live and learn ;)

eric3dee on
  • ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I really like the art on this, very eye catching and pleasing. Also, people need more bearded fat friends. The gag didn't really do it for me, but it was enjoyed none the less.

Shiboe on
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Shiboe- ya, Bob is my "goto" Viking for sure- a definite must for anyone who has the option.

eric3dee on
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm gonna say that you have an awesome concept for the guitar. I would love one of those with Guitar Hero.

Big Luke Nasty on
    rawr
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm gonna say that you have an awesome concept for the guitar. I would love one of those with Guitar Hero.

Dude, I just love the name Cross Rawk alone :lol:

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You know what i like about your comic? THe fact that you aren't lazy and you do draw a new image for each frame. It shows that you have good skill and confidence (which i lack sometimes :)) I hate it when most comics decide to just copy and past the panels but change the face expressions (CAD!!!). Very nice art. I'm sorry i don't have time to read through them all, but i really enjoy looking at your composition and layout. Coolies!

winter_combat_knight on
    edited August 2008
    You know what i like about your comic? THe fact that you aren't lazy and you do draw a new image for each frame. It shows that you have good skill and confidence (which i lack sometimes :)) I hate it when most comics decide to just copy and past the panels but change the face expressions (CAD!!!). Very nice art. I'm sorry i don't have time to read through them all, but i really enjoy looking at your composition and layout. Coolies!

Thanks a bunch dude-- it would bug me to post anything less... still, as this is mostly a hobby of mine, the amount of work only allows me to fit in about one comic a week (and remain sane ;) )

Big Luke Nasty--
    Maybe some crazy, intrepid DIYer will make something like that controller :) it WOULD be cool- in a gaudy ridiculous sorta way... my original rough for the comic had an angel-winged controller.

eric3dee on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I might actually play the game if it had a guitar controller modeled after a Celtic cross.

Tam on
  • devicesdevices Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

For real man... it seems like 3/4 of the people who post their webcomics in here dont care enough to do that kind of work. So yeah, nice job, very clean (and funny... the cross is definitely an awesome touch... and the N64 bit made me laugh pretty hard)

devices on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like this, it's nice to see a webcomic where somebody gives a shit about the art that goes into it.

Mustang on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the goatee feels like an afterthought. should the character really have one? or does he have one because his real-life counterpart has one? I really like the face on the fat guy. the eyes and beard are done well.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow...

Well, first, archive your stuff better.

Second..."Wow" was because you have some pretty great artwork in there. I've only read a couple strips, but as I scrolled through them all I really got the feeling of a classic comic strip. The coloring is pretty awesome, and you really go the extra mile with the backgrounds and speech bubbles (though I'm assuming the backgrounds in the strip on this page are downloaded brushes).

I would seriously take some of your better looking strips and post them up here, because when I just saw that one I wasn't too impressed with your work (people around here generally don't like to go out of their way to click things).

I'll finish reading them, then I might have more of a critique. Just wanted to say I'm impressed. The quality of the art (mainly the dynamic nature and the non-repetitive poses) is above most webcomics (definitely Ctrl-Alt-Del).

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited September 2008
    Gosh- Thanks so much everyone for all the kind words!

ManonvonSuperock-- I have thought the same thing for awhile about the goatee. While it is a part of my character's look, I may start drawing it a little more integrated into the face (starting next comic).

srsizzy-- Thank you! I never considered posting any of my comics until Tycho made Friday's post and I had a good excuse to. I do want to archive my stuff better, but unfortunately my web programmer skills are pretty limited. I am currently using Comic Press (a plugin for Wordpress) to run my site, and I don't know exactly how I might better archive my comics than the default settings. If you have ANY advice/ideas in this area, I'd love to hear them- I'm always looking to better the site, but as I said, my abilities are fairly limited in this area.

eric3dee on