Options

Sexism, Sarah Palin, Penny Arcade, and Politics

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    As someone said earlier, the "VP teh hotnezz!" posts are pretty much all made with irony in mind. There aren't many people here making the argument that Palin is unfit because she's a woman, if someone actually made that argument they'd be thoroughly ridiculed.

You're missing the point, kev.

The point is that when Joe Biden was selected as Obama's VP, no one made a single fucking comment about his appearance. No one said "Oh he's ugly" or "Oh he's alright looking" or anything. Nothing. Not one goddamned word was spilled on the subject here.

[...]

Hey now, some people complimented his smile.

He smiles a lot, even when incensed with anger. o_O

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Sizable_ChunkSizable_Chunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mikesta wrote: »
    I can't even begin to count the number of things I would do to her. Twenty minutes is a long time, if you think about it!

Did you actually say that out loud while you typed it? Please tell me you did.

Sizable_Chunk on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Considering she was picked in order to be the candy that lures women voters who are mad Hilary won't be running, it kinda makes it hard to not look at her as an object. Especially when its her own party doing the objectifying.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    McCain just nominated Alaskan governor Sarah Palin as his VP.

You motherfuckers need to stop all discussion of how how she is, whether or not she is a MILF, whether or not you could "get behind her," and all other stupid bullshit.

I don't care about "freedom of speech" or the offensive nature of Penny Arcade. I don't even personally give a shit about such sexist comments because I understand they are ironic.

But you are contributing to a general atmosphere that is dangerous in this election. "Sexism in the media" was a huge grievance by Clinton's supporters. Fact: we are the new media. There are no clear boundaries between the "traditional media" and web forums. Many media outlets are blogs and webforums.

So stop it. Grow the fuck up. Train yourselves not to make those comments. Unless you want McCain and, presuming he dies early, his insane creationist sidekick running the country.

I didn't realize anyone was saying she's a MILF, or that they'd "hit that" or whatever.

I'd never say any of that about Palin.
    After poppin 5 kids out, that vag has to be wrecked.

They have surgery to repair that you know.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Considering she was picked in order to be the candy that lures women voters who are mad Hilary won't be running, it kinda makes it hard to not look at her as an object. Especially when its her own party doing the objectifying.

She's also an ideological nod to the far right -- which is clever because she simultaneously looks mavericky to moderates, or she will if the news media fails to do its job, and, well.

My two cents? The Cat is right.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Evil-PantsEvil-Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

You motherfuckers need to stop all discussion of how how she is, whether or not she is a MILF, whether or not you could "get behind her," and all other stupid bullshit.

I don't care about "freedom of speech" or the offensive nature of Penny Arcade. I don't even personally give a shit about such sexist comments because I understand they are ironic.

But you are contributing to a general atmosphere that is dangerous in this election. "Sexism in the media" was a huge grievance by Clinton's supporters. Fact: we are the new media. There are no clear boundaries between the "traditional media" and web forums. Many media outlets are blogs and webforums.

So stop it. Grow the fuck up. Train yourselves not to make those comments. Unless you want McCain and, presuming he dies early, his insane creationist sidekick running the country.

I didn't realize anyone was saying she's a MILF, or that they'd "hit that" or whatever.

They have surgery to repair that you know.

We have the technology...faster, stronger...better.

Evil-Pants on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I don't see you trying to clarify what you mean either. So... there's that too.
    I am not outraged.

I am worried that the jokes and behavior on here is going to seep out into other media, and someone else will be outraged and ditch the Democrats.

Likely, whoever that person is will be acting completely irrationally. But it could happen. There are maybe 30 or 40 regular posters on Penny Arcade. I am simply asking us to work together to control our behavior—not just on here but in real life—so we do not risk alienating irrational feminists. This election is too important.

We are not media trendsetters.

And you are crazy.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guys a bunch of non experts pretending to be experts waxing intellectual wankery on a webcomic forum control the fate of what information and smears reach the popluar media!

Watch out!

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »

She's also an ideological nod to the far right -- which is clever because she simultaneously looks mavericky to moderates, or she will if the news media fails to do its job, and, well.

My two cents? The Cat is right.

Meh, so is Mcain in many respects. She just also has that crazy sky-god mojo working with her as well. And with her that's kinda mavericky in a bad way if their trying to nab the hilary vote.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    damn qingu, I think it's fairly ridiculous that you don't have a problem with the issue itself, just how "irrational" people will react to it.
    I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE THIS ELECTION!

You're an idiot. Shut up.

Ok, here's the deal: Palin's gender matters. She was chosen by McCain as a smokescreen for his legislative history, which demonstrates a clear record of voting against any measure that had even a shadow of a chance of making the lives of women, girls, and children (especially poor ones) healthier, safer, or easier. He's voted against the interests of Palin and her family, even! Its important to note at this point that his voting record also screws over all the men in those women's lives, because he expects them to pick up the state's slack at the expense of their hopes and dreams. Especially poor men.

So, its fair to point out that her personal characteristics are intended as a distraction. Its also fair to say that we all make facetious comments about all the candidates.

HOWEVER

in this case, as in Hillary's case, the sheer volume of those comments has frequently overwhelmed the post about the rational reasons why they'd be bad for the US, often for several pages at a time. Its juvenile, its stupid, and at that volume yes it becomes sexist and if you don't like that well too fucking bad. Suck it up.

I don't give a shit about offending 'irrational feminists'. They don't post here. They don't read here. I do give a shit about the backlash in this thread, though. It shouldn't be a terrible thing to admit that getting carried away with the dumb posts is a bad idea, boring, stupid, and easily remedied. Again, suck it up. Post about the issues. Its classy, with a monocle and top hat and all. You all like monocles, don't you?

This thread got the reaction ("backlash") it did simply because of the way the OP was phrased. Take a good idea and wrap it up in condescending bullshit demands and you will get exactly this kind of reaction. Quingu could have made that OP about the any subject whatsoever and got the kind of reaction he did.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    King Boo HooKing Boo Hoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    End wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    As someone said earlier, the "VP teh hotnezz!" posts are pretty much all made with irony in mind. There aren't many people here making the argument that Palin is unfit because she's a woman, if someone actually made that argument they'd be thoroughly ridiculed.

You're missing the point, kev.

The point is that when Joe Biden was selected as Obama's VP, no one made a single fucking comment about his appearance. No one said "Oh he's ugly" or "Oh he's alright looking" or anything. Nothing. Not one goddamned word was spilled on the subject here.

[...]

Hey now, some people complimented his smile.

He smiles a lot, even when incensed with anger. o_O

Since I'm a straight male and Palin is a female, I make that snap-second judgment about her appearance. And since she has absolutely nothing else to add to the presidential race other than having a vagina, I ironically make statements about how she's hot. Because really, what other judgment is available to me? None, she has nothing else. It's a joke, but it has the truth behind it that she's nothing but a face.

Did I make appearance jokes about Clinton? Nope.
    Have I ever made appearance jokes about Rice? Nope.
    Why? Because the joke was never necessary, they have something else to offer the world other than their appearance.
    Palin on the other hand, was clearly picked based on gender. And so it's befitting that we jest about her appearance as if that were a legitimate reason to select a VP.

King Boo Hoo on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Palin on the other hand, was clearly picked based on gender. And so it's befitting that we jest about her appearance as if that were a legitimate reason to select a VP.
    Palin did not choose herself. Point your jests and barbs at the desperate and sexist campaign that chose her, hoping to exploit their perceived sexism of the electorate -- not at her.

Even so, she does bring things to the election ... you simply attribute them no value. Saying, "I feel like they just chose her as a pretty face to cater to a sexist electorate, most of these credentials for her career-wise are unspectacular" is an absolutely fine comment.

Directing barbs at her, however, is absolutely uncalled for. If your hypothesis is truth, that'd make McCain exploitative and sexist, as well as really making her a bit of a victim in some ways. Why do you pick on her in that situation instead of framing it appropriately and attacking the proper parties?

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She's a victim? She didn't have to agree to be VP. And if she has half a brain she knows a big part of WHY she was chosen, and she accepted regardless.

That makes her a party to the idiocy that is this whole thing.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    The Republican party has a power over her. She didn't have to agree to be VP, but there was a certain amount of backroom leverage they might have exerted if she didn't spring for it.

Either way, using that as an excuse to condone unproductive and sexist remarks against her instead of attacking/jeering the appropriate parties doesn't fly in my book.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Seriously, there are enough reasons to object to her without going into that. Although I think Samantha Bee did it brilliantly.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Stop calling the former beauty pageant contestant hot!

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Quietly leering at The Cat from the bushes

leering

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fox News would always comment on how Hillary was dressed. It was always negative. I already know exactly they'll gush on about Palin's appearance, because it'll just be the opposite of what they've been saying about Hillary the entire time.

:^:

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would wreck Sarah Palin.
    With a wrecking ball, vaginas are gross. Now Obama, what a hottie!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was pretty sure dongs and cocks lol went along with our serious politicking.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Dely Apple wrote: »

leering

*waves*

*tacks giant goatse poster in the window*

...hey, that'd keep the mormons away too. I should totally do that for real.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's why God invented anal sex.

Sorry, did I just go there? :winky:

Dalboz on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    Dely Apple wrote: »

leering

*waves*

*tacks giant goatse poster in the window*

...hey, that'd keep the mormons away too. I should totally do that for real.

If anything, it would certainly liven up the commute near your house. Especially for the kindergarten buses!

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm surprised that there haven't been any Who fans who created a "Are you my mommy?" photoshop.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sure:

I hereby solemnly declare that I shall never make sexist comments or jokes, and if I encounter them in discourse, whether online or real, I shall endeavor to make it known forcefully that such discourse will not stand in civilized society.

Those "Republican Women vs. Democratic Women" posters always got me going too.

Also, discourse online is still real. I don't know why you had to say that.

I do reserve the right to make jokes about sexism by making jokes that sound like sexist jokes if you are incapable of understanding irony.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am worried that the jokes and behavior on here is going to seep out into other media, and someone else will be outraged and ditch the Democrats.

Likely, whoever that person is will be acting completely irrationally. But it could happen. There are maybe 30 or 40 regular posters on Penny Arcade. I am simply asking us to work together to control our behavior—not just on here but in real life—so we do not risk alienating irrational feminists. This election is too important.
    You're far over-estimating the power of goofballs on the internet. Hell, if anything, this sort of irrational, reactionary Tom Toolery is more likely to sway me away from associating myself with a canidate than some mouth-breather saying, "hey, she's already Vice President... of Bonerland."

GungHo on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Joon wrote: »
    stilist wrote: »
    Or hey, maybe sexism makes you a douchebag regardless of whether it’s a joke or whether you’re a public figure.

Or hey, people make jokes.

Bush can be a dipshit cowboy. McCain can be a senile fogey. Better jump to defend Palin when someone says she's a MILF though. Lord knows how sexist it is to poke fun at her like everyone else. We'd better treat her differently since she's a woman, that's less sexist.

As the song goes, one of these things is not like the other ones. And the fact that you can't grasp this is a real problem. You want to poke fun at Palin, poke fun at what she's done, not what she is.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think that I would like to officially retract this thread's argument.

Frankly, Palin's announcement scared the hell out of me. I was worried this was going to be a ridiculously close election and that even the most miniscule perception of sexism could have a significant effect. Evangelicals scare me. Republican strategists scare me. I panicked.

But now I'm not quite so worried. STILL worried, but not THAT worried. I still hope you people don't go around making sexist jokes to estranged Clinton supporters. But I guess it is ridiculous to worry about jokes on PA reaching broader audiences. And besides, all I succeeded in doing was convince you people to make even more boner jokes.

Qingu on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've got to say, this isn't what I was expecting from the title of this thread.

This belongs in SE, at least it would be funny there.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    I've got to say, this isn't what I was expecting from the title of this thread.

This belongs in SE, at least it would be funny there.

cocksdickslol?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If the republicans lose maybe Hef will give Palin a shot in Playboy.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    If the republicans lose maybe Hef will give Palin a shot in Playboy.

Perhaps a mother-daughter package deal, if she's of legal age by then?

[tiny]*this post may or may not be made in jest and contains the USDA's RDA of irony[/tiny]

But hey, feel free to keep telling people what to think, say, and type. It seems to be working like a charm.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think that I would like to officially retract this thread's argument.

Frankly, Palin's announcement scared the hell out of me. I was worried this was going to be a ridiculously close election and that even the most miniscule perception of sexism could have a significant effect.

You don't get much more minuscule than a political thread on a gaming messageboard.
    Evangelicals scare me. Republican strategists scare me. I panicked. But now I'm not quite so worried. STILL worried, but not THAT worried. I still hope you people don't go around making sexist jokes to estranged Clinton supporters. But I guess it is ridiculous to worry about jokes on PA reaching broader audiences. And besides, all I succeeded in doing was convince you people to make even more boner jokes.

Clinton supporters who were only voting to get a woman in the White House aren't the kind of people you want to try to pander to anyway. Some will vote for good reasons, some for stupid reasons. If Palin does get elected and ends up screwing over the country, maybe they'll smarten up next election. Don't be so dramatic.

Glyph on
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I love how the post calls for this change in the "general atmosphere" and then you refer to her as an "insane creationist sidekick". Ah, the good ol' strawwoman phallacy.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    I love how the post calls for this change in the "general atmosphere" and then you refer to her as an "insane creationist sidekick". Ah, the good ol' strawwoman phallacy.

Do you know what a strawman even is?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    phallacy.

:winky:

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Do you know what a strawman even is?

He knows it sounds good in a sentence.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    CNN is totally out of line with this anti-female innuendo. I hope you sent them a strongly worded letter lest their horrible hate-speech sway anybody with a low mental capacity to think differently than you.

Seriously, though. Has anyone's vote been changed at all by anything on a webforum connected to a webcomic? Or a webforum in general? I think most people's voting behavior is pretty well fixed unless they're very young, and then I'm going to guess they're either going to vote the same way their parents are because they were "brought up right" or against their parents in order to be total rebels. I think the number of people who change who they're voting for based on either real or perceived sexism is even fewer than the people who change their vote based on actual policies or stands that candidates take. Which is to say, not a whole lot and probably not in the states where it makes a ton of difference.

Trevor on
  • Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    http://palinvsbears.com/

In her former life, Palin was a seal.

Glyph on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Glyph wrote: »
    http://palinvsbears.com/